shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it common now to have a baby shower with every child?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...also, I think it would look better for a second marriage if it wasn't really a shower, but more of a get together, dinner, or party where gifts were not expected (and that was made known). So, no traditional showers with all the hoopla that goes along with them -- just celebrating the couple.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1435782106|3897587 said:
I understand what you're saying and I guess it's exactly why none of this really bothers me. If it's a close friend/close family member, then I would gift anyways (shower or no shower). If it's not someone I'm close to, then I don't go, don't gift, and don't care. :lol: It doesn't feel weird for me because quite frankly, I really, truly don't care and I simply throw the invite in the recycling bin and move on with my life :D

This sums it up for me. I don't feel obligated to send a gift just because I was invited. I am perfectly fine sending my regrets and a card congratulating them on thier new arrival.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1435796426|3897682 said:
...also, I think it would look better for a second marriage if it wasn't really a shower, but more of a get together, dinner, or party where gifts were not expected (and that was made known). So, no traditional showers with all the hoopla that goes along with them -- just celebrating the couple.

I disagree. I think a full shower is appropriate for a second wedding. Third... Not so.much. But second? Yes.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1435797659|3897690 said:

I disagree. I think a full shower is appropriate for a second wedding. Third... Not so.much. But second? Yes.

Can you explain why you feel it's appropriate for a second and not a third? :| :lol:

Gypsylayla

Rough_Rock
I think second marriages are often more 'course corrections' for people who may have gotten married too young, or impetuously. I think of them as 'do overs.'

And in general I am in favor of going all out for the first 'do-over.' Why should you have to subdue your celebrations because you've been married once before?

Some people are still quite young at the time of the second marriage, and may need stuff that a shower provides. Some are single moms and need stuff. Plus it's nice to have new 'stuff' like sheets and towels when you are starting a new life with a new person.

Now two previous marriages? At that point things start tilting toward unfair to your guests that they have to get you something for the shower AND for the marriage a third time. If they've stood by you through two previous marriages and two previous showers and are there for the third... do you really have the right to ask for more presents at yet a third shower? Is it fair? Not so much. At that point, I think you should be happy for the gifts for the marriage itself, and forget a shower. And usually you are at an age where you SHOULD be able to afford new stuff, if you want it. Or you spouse should be able to.

IMO, you get one 'balls to the wall" re-do on the marriage front. Go all out a second time. Dress, shower, big wedding, EVERYTHING. But more than that is unfair to your guests.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
msop04|1435810716|3897759 said:
Gypsy|1435797659|3897690 said:

Can you explain why you feel it's appropriate for a second and not a third? :| :lol:

I think second marriages are often more 'course corrections' for people who may have gotten married too young, or impetuously. I think of them as 'do overs.'

And in general I am in favor of going all out for the first 'do-over.' Why should you have to subdue your celebrations because you've been married once before?

Some people are still quite young at the time of the second marriage, and may need stuff that a shower provides. Some are single moms and need stuff. Plus it's nice to have new 'stuff' like sheets and towels when you are starting a new life with a new person.

Now two previous marriages? At that point things start tilting toward unfair to your guests that they have to get you something for the shower AND for the marriage a third time. If they've stood by you through two previous marriages and two previous showers and are there for the third... do you really have the right to ask for more presents at yet a third shower? Is it fair? Not so much. At that point, I think you should be happy for the gifts for the marriage itself, and forget a shower. And usually you are at an age where you SHOULD be able to afford new stuff, if you want it. Or you spouse should be able to.

IMO, you get one 'balls to the wall" re-do on the marriage front. Go all out a second time. Dress, shower, big wedding, EVERYTHING. But more than that is unfair to your guests.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This really doesn't bother me. A person can have 10 baby showers and I will go and bring a gift. I like baby showers. I like women getting together. I like celebrating babies.

It's a great afternoon, spent with friends and people I probably haven't seen since the last baby shower. They are usually scheduled well enough in advance that I don't have better things to do. I guess I don't see the problem?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I think it's tacky. The point of a bridal shower is to set up the household, which has probably already been done. By all means, celebrate, but no registry, no shower.

In my FB debate I was having on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th baby showers, I brought up weddings as an analogy. If someone gets married and does the whole shower/big wedding thing, then gets divorced and marries someone two years later, it would be flat out rude for that person to do all of that stuff over again. My naysayers, of course, were all "no, it's a new marriage and deserves to be celebrated!!" Ugh.

msop04- I wish we could connect off of PS. I like what you say and I think we'd get along! I sure wish PS would open up private messages.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Seems like people are really getting caught up on the word "shower". If it is called a shower, but the invite asks for no gifts, is it as bad?

So if you got an invite from a friend. She is organizing her own Baby shower. It is at a hall. It is for a 2nd, or 3rd child.
But is says: Diapers and formula preferred.

Tacky or Nah?

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1435851939|3897900 said:
I think it's tacky. The point of a bridal shower is to set up the household, which has probably already been done. By all means, celebrate, but no registry, no shower.

In my FB debate I was having on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th baby showers, I brought up weddings as an analogy. If someone gets married and does the whole shower/big wedding thing, then gets divorced and marries someone two years later, it would be flat out rude for that person to do all of that stuff over again. My naysayers, of course, were all "no, it's a new marriage and deserves to be celebrated!!" Ugh.

msop04- I wish we could connect off of PS. I like what you say and I think we'd get along! I sure wish PS would open up private messages.

I guess it comes down to whether you see a baby/wedding shower primarily as a celebration of the new baby/bride, or a gift getting event.

Do you (and others) still object to it, if the gift giving aspect of it is removed?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1435852264|3897903 said:
Seems like people are really getting caught up on the word "shower". If it is called a shower, but the invite asks for no gifts, is it as bad?

So if you got an invite from a friend. She is organizing her own Baby shower. It is at a hall. It is for a 2nd, or 3rd child.
But is says: Diapers and formula preferred.

Tacky or Nah?

If it asks for no gifts, it isn't a shower. A shower, by definition, is for gifts.

If I got that invitation, it would depend on how close I was to the person. If it was a close friend, I would go (as I have in the past). Actually, if it was a close friend who told me she was throwing her own baby shower, I would have told her that I would throw a small celebration for her instead. If it was just a casual friend, I would probably not go. But I'd likely send a card with a gift card or something. I'm not opposed to buying presents for people- I'm opposed to telling exactly when and what to buy.

And yes, either way, it's tacky.

I went to a toy store that does registries for kids' birthdays. Um, no.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
blackprophet|1435852575|3897906 said:

I guess it comes down to whether you see a baby/wedding shower primarily as a celebration of the new baby/bride, or a gift getting event.

Do you (and others) still object to it, if the gift giving aspect of it is removed?

Not at all! The more reasons to celebrate and get together, the better! It's called a shower because the honoree is "showered" with gifts. Don't want gifts? Then call it something else. Call it a party, gathering, get together, celebration, meet and greet. Just not a shower. A shower without gifts isn't a shower.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I'm just a bitch. I feel like weddings are seen as "eh, well, if it doesn't work out, a divorce is no big deal, just remarry", so then there's this free pass on it. Making a "mistake" doesn't, to *me*, qualify as requiring another shower. Just like w/kids, it's not really my responsibility to buy you new dishes for your new marriage when I just bought you dishes for your first marriage.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1435853047|3897912 said:
I think I'm just a bitch. I feel like weddings are seen as "eh, well, if it doesn't work out, a divorce is no big deal, just remarry", so then there's this free pass on it. Making a "mistake" doesn't, to *me*, qualify as requiring another shower. Just like w/kids, it's not really my responsibility to buy you new dishes for your new marriage when I just bought you dishes for your first marriage.

Well said. If people want to get remarried, fine. But at that point, you're not setting up a new household.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I must be a big 'ol beeotch too, packrat... your post made me laugh! The only way I think it *might* be a little more respectful to do a shower for a bride who's been married before is if she lost a lot in a divorce or something to that effect. I might not call it a "shower" I don't think, but that's splitting hairs. There's no need for a full-on registry -- close friends and family will know if there's a need and will see to it that those needs are met. Pinterest-y party themes and games aren't in good taste, IMO.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm in total agreement, amc80! ...and thanks! I think we'd get along great, too! (darn PS!!) HA! :bigsmile: :wavey:

(I'm on LT under the same screen name... feel free to message me and we can exchange email addresses!) :))

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Agree...

I'd be embarrassed to set up a party so people can bring me things. :/

My close friends will know if I'm in need. And if they can, and they want to, they'll offer or buy me something.

But to set it up or allow it to be set up so people come and bring me stuff?

No.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But none of you are embarrassed to express these thoughts? Does feeling this way bring you happiness or joy? What is the big deal? Go support your friends! Go have a good time! Stop being so darned judgemental!

Are you seriously telling me that you are giving people the side eye when you are attending their showers...these "most happy moments of their entire lives" parties? And you don't see how embarrassed you should be for behaving this way?

You ladies are so blessed! Spread the love!

Yeah, I am probably going to catch hell from the "biotches" for this. I generally consider you all to be incredibly kind and beautiful..is it an act?

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1435859092|3897966 said:
But none of you are embarrassed to express these thoughts? Does feeling this way bring you happiness or joy? What is the big deal? Go support your friends! Go have a good time! Stop being so darned judgemental!

Are you seriously telling me that you are giving people the side eye when you are attending their showers...these "most happy moments of their entire lives" parties? And you don't see how embarrassed you should be for behaving this way?

Yeah, I am probably going to catch hell from the "biotches" for this. I generally consider you all to be incredibly kind and beautiful..is it an act?

I'm pretty comfortable with how judgmental I am. And no, I'm not giving the side-eye because I don't attend showers anymore, period. They aren't fun-filled days of joy and happiness for everyone. I'm definitely not embarrassed about my behavior and I really don't need any internet shaming, thanks.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I decided a while ago that I will never again go to a shower or a party for someone I don't like. What is the point? I'm not going to put on a fake smile.

If I am at someone's shower or wedding, it's because I genuinely love and/or care for them.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
liaerfbv|1435859630|3897970 said:

I'm pretty comfortable with how judgmental I am. And no, I'm not giving the side-eye because I don't attend showers anymore, period. They aren't fun-filled days of joy and happiness for everyone. I'm definitely not embarrassed about my behavior and I really don't need any internet shaming, thanks.
Shaming would have been really harsh words, which I didn't use.

I am expressing myself candidly...just as everyone else seems to be doing on this thread!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1435860492|3897982 said:

I decided a while ago that I will never again go to a shower or a party for someone I don't like. What is the point? I'm not going to put on a fake smile.

If I am at someone's shower or wedding, it's because I genuinely love and/or care for them.
I am not saying that someone should go to a shower for someone they don't like. I am imagining judgement when a well liked individual is having a third shower. Am I misunderstanding something?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah. I guess I feel like we don't live back in the day where you got married really young and you had a trousseau of pillow cases and quilts that you'd been working on since you were old enough to hold a needle and thimble, when you got married and literally had nothing. I still have things of my Gramma's from the 1920's that she made for herself. But it's not Little House on the Prairie anymore, and the majority of couples getting married aren't starting from scratch and need the help. Why not just have a BBQ/party of some sort and invite your friends over to eat, drink and be merry? Then there's no gifts and not expectations. Or a couple friends invite everyone over and surprise the couple w/a big fun supper and drinks?

I'd rather have that than feel like my friends feel they are expected to bring me something, and I don't know that there's one of those charts w/the lines to point you in the right direction. Is this the first marriage, yes or no and then follow the line to the next thing-if no, is this the second, if yes are they under a certain age etc. I'd just rather not have the thought that a gift is always expected-that takes the fun out of it for me. I'd rather give something b/c I want to. And some of the registries I've seen good golly miss molly, a dinging room set, new appliances, furniture..but the reasoning behind it is, we're starting "fresh".

I've gotten a couple invitations to things where it says like "You're Invited! It's not a shower!" and it makes me laugh. It says "We're (getting married/having a baby/moving to a new house/doing something big) and want you to celebrate with us! The only thing we don't have that we would love for you to bring is you". It totally threw my mom off when she got one "What does that mean? It's a "it's not a shower? What's a "it's not a shower"?" It sounds like a who's on first thing.

*edited to fix then to than cuz ooo that's irritating, sorry. And I wanted to add that I've seen people have showers for their kids who were moving out on their own and needed "help" to get their apt set up, and showers for other things too, that it just is to the point of *make it stop* and you take care of you and I'll take care of me, let's go have supper to celebrate.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
Nah. I guess I feel like we don't live back in the day where you got married really young and you had a trousseau of pillow cases and quilts that you'd been working on since you were old enough to hold a needle and thimble, when you got married and literally had nothing. I still have things of my Gramma's from the 1920's that she made for herself. But it's not Little House on the Prairie anymore, and the majority of couples getting married aren't starting from scratch and need the help. Why not just have a BBQ/party of some sort and invite your friends over to eat, drink and be merry? Then there's no gifts and not expectations. Or a couple friends invite everyone over and surprise the couple w/a big fun supper and drinks?

I'd rather have that than feel like my friends feel they are expected to bring me something, and I don't know that there's one of those charts w/the lines to point you in the right direction. Is this the first marriage, yes or no and then follow the line to the next thing-if no, is this the second, if yes are they under a certain age etc. I'd just rather not have the thought that a gift is always expected-that takes the fun out of it for me. I'd rather give something b/c I want to. And some of the registries I've seen good golly miss molly, a dinging room set, new appliances, furniture..but the reasoning behind it is, we're starting "fresh".

I've gotten a couple invitations to things where it says like "You're Invited! It's not a shower!" and it makes me laugh. It says "We're (getting married/having a baby/moving to a new house/doing something big) and want you to celebrate with us! The only thing we don't have that we would love for you to bring is you". It totally threw my mom off when she got one "What does that mean? It's a "it's not a shower? What's a "it's not a shower"?" It sounds like a who's on first thing.

*edited to fix then to than cuz ooo that's irritating, sorry. And I wanted to add that I've seen people have showers for their kids who were moving out on their own and needed "help" to get their apt set up, and showers for other things too, that it just is to the point of *make it stop* and you take care of you and I'll take care of me, let's go have supper to celebrate.

Love this post! Love the last sentence!

And, no, I don't feel embarrassed/guilty for posting. Sometimes I wonder if those throwing these 2nd and 3rd time around showers (shamelessly asking for and expecting gifts) ever feel embarrassed or guilty...

I don't think some ppl are getting the POINT. The point is TO CELEBRATE... it's when it becomes solely to "get gifts" or the expectation to get them that it's being somewhat frowned upon.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435863977|3898023 said:

I love this post too! It helps me get it! :))

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know what... I'm 36 and with each passing day, it's less and less likely that I will have a child. So gosh darn it, the next furbaby I adopt, I am SOooooo having a fur baby shower!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I love celebrating big events. I mean, who doesn't? I don't love been expected to outfit that new life event.

Having a baby or getting married for the first time? Yay! Here's $XX to buy the stroller you want.

Having your 2nd kid in 3 years? You should really have everything you need...but here's something small and cute because YAY baby stuff. But, no, I'm not buying you a new stroller because you chose a bright pink one for your daughter and are now having a boy.

DH and I are closing on our house today (actually, it should be recorded in 2 minutes, ha). Should we throw a house warming party and register for presents? I mean, we are both in our mid-30s and have lived on our own for 12+ years. But it's our first house together and I WANT NEW STUFF. :lol: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean said:
You know what... I'm 36 and with each passing day, it's less and less likely that I will have a child. So gosh darn it, the next furbaby I adopt, I am SOooooo having a fur baby shower!

Absolutely, Pinto!!! Do it!!

After NINE nephews and a total of 21 years of buying for every Xmas, birthday, graduation, I got a little peeved about how now one EVER acknowledged my kitties (15 year old and an 8 year old, and I ADORE them!). So last year, my husband convinced me to send a text to my parents and sisters that included a "kitty Christmas list" -- just like I receive for their children. I was hesitant, but did it anyway. Lo and behold, there were five boxes of kitty litter and several bags of food with bows under my mom's tree!! I was shocked and overjoyed -- not necessarily for the actual gift, but for the newfound thought for my "babies." [emoji4]

Regarding being 36... Pinto, I am 36 and expecting my very first child in September. I consider myself an "older mom", but that won't stop me from trying for another one day. Girl, we're still young! If you desire a child, then you still have several more years for that! I understand where you're coming from... I didn't marry until 2 years ago. The way I see it, I just got a little late start. Don't let your age discourage you. You are fabulous. [emoji8]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80 said:

I love celebrating big events. I mean, who doesn't? I don't love been expected to outfit that new life event.

Having a baby or getting married for the first time? Yay! Here's $XX to buy the stroller you want.

Having your 2nd kid in 3 years? You should really have everything you need...but here's something small and cute because YAY baby stuff. But, no, I'm not buying you a new stroller because you chose a bright pink one for your daughter and are now having a boy.

DH and I are closing on our house today (actually, it should be recorded in 2 minutes, ha). Should we throw a house warming party and register for presents? I mean, we are both in our mid-30s and have lived on our own for 12+ years. But it's our first house together and I WANT NEW STUFF. :lol: :lol:

Girl, run to Pottery Barn and register -- call it a "fresh start" and send out invitations!! I can think of several ppl on this thread alone that'll hook you up!! [emoji12][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1435869002|3898087 said:
PintoBean said:

Absolutely, Pinto!!! Do it!!

After NINE nephews and a total of 21 years of buying for every Xmas, birthday, graduation, I got a little peeved about how now one EVER acknowledged my kitties (15 year old and an 8 year old, and I ADORE them!). So last year, my husband convinced me to send a text to my parents and sisters that included a "kitty Christmas list" -- just like I receive for their children. I was hesitant, but did it anyway. Lo and behold, there were five boxes of kitty litter and several bags of food with bows under my mom's tree!! I was shocked and overjoyed -- not necessarily for the actual gift, but for the newfound thought for my "babies." [emoji4]

Regarding being 36... Pinto, I am 36 and expecting my very first child in September. I consider myself an "older mom", but that won't stop me from trying for another one day. Girl, we're still young! If you desire a child, then you still have several more years for that! I understand where you're coming from... I didn't marry until 2 years ago. The way I see it, I just got a little late start. Don't let your age discourage you. You are fabulous. [emoji8]
Ok, now you all are just making me laugh!

I surrender!!!

LMAO!!!!

Pinto, I would happily buy you the Pottery Barn pillow printed with a big red lobster!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results