shape
carat
color
clarity

Too picky or does this setting not quite measure up? Custom.

lizbc

Rough_Rock
Hi there. I was so excited to pick up my engagement ring today but was disappointed with the setting. I was expecting the centre stone to be lower in the setting, but particularly noticeable are the gaps either side. They aren't so noticeable head-on, but viewed from the side I can see my finger! Can anyone give some advice on whether I'm being unreasonable to ask the jeweler to redo the ring? The setting cost about $1500.00 in white and yellow 14ct gold.

20150701_213818.jpg

lizbc

Rough_Rock
Re: Too picky or does this setting not quite measure up? Cus

Here is a pic of the ring from the top view... gaps very slightly noticeable.
Any comments/suggestions welcome.
Thanks!

20150701_214236.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have never seen anything like that. If you don't like it, I would ask the jeweller for a replacement setting. Do you have a profile picture of the setting? Usually the baskets are touching one another so it is impossible to see a gap like this.

lizbc

Rough_Rock

Hi Chrono,
Thanks for your reply. I had never seen anything like this either, but then I started thinking maybe I just wasn't looking... Here's the side shot. Both baskets are not touching. It looks like he tried to bend one basket a bit toward the centre to minimize the gap. Do the stones look angled properly to you?? It seems like the centre stone may be a bit off.

20150701_214130.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're not being unreasonable I would have the same concerns. I don't think I would work with the same jeweler as they seem to have already disappointed once. If you can return the setting I would and I would start fresh. There are a number of places that can custom make you a ring for a similar cost. Some higher and some lower too

The stones seem lovely though so I think you have the makings of something nice!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The profile view tells me a lot about what the bench tried to do. He (or she) took a standard 3 stone basket setting, removed the center (but kept the base), then plunked the centre on top of the base. A good bench will remove the entire centre and then solder it the new one on for a seamless look. Sorry, but this is shoddy work that is not acceptable.

lizbc

Rough_Rock

Hi Chrono. Thanks for your response. It's very wierd. The jeweller said something about a basket being the wrong size. But I came in and he showed me the wax mold that he used to make the ring. The part I don't understand is how this happened from a wax mold. He went into some detail about the person who made the wax mold for him (lazer cutting, etc). I was told that the mold was made to my dimensions...
The underside of the ring (the part that touches my finger) isn't totally smooth/level the whole way around. it sort of notches in a bit on the inside of the ring. So I think you're right. The middle basket also looks a bit crooked and seems to be sitting up way too high.
Ge gave me some line about not being able to put the prongs right up against each other because he needed room to be able to grab them to bend them to set the stones. I think he was just trying to prime me for the gaps. Aargh! :naughty:
He didn't sound too happy on the phone when I told him I couldn't live with the gaps. I will give him another chance to get it right.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Courtesy of David from DBL, this profile picture shows how to do a proper 3 stone setting where the middle is yellow and the sidestones are white. Done this way, there will be no gaps whatsoever.

r4314-yellow-diamond-ring-hand.jpg

Area57

Rough_Rock

Wow, when shown the photo of the "real" three stone setting, no, it doesn't measure up.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lizbc|1435864868|3898030 said:
Hi Chrono,
Thanks for your reply. I had never seen anything like this either, but then I started thinking maybe I just wasn't looking... Here's the side shot. Both baskets are not touching. It looks like he tried to bend one basket a bit toward the centre to minimize the gap. Do the stones look angled properly to you?? It seems like the centre stone may be a bit off.

sorry if I'm being harsh, but that setting is a mess. I would just see if you could get a refund.

JulieKae

Rough_Rock

I agree with everyone that says you should get a refund and start fresh. It appears that jeweler did nothing custom with your piece at all. You spent enough where it should be correct and to your liking.

lizbc

Rough_Rock

Wow... third time luck and 9 months later... It was worth the wait.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, which helped to keep me from settling for something I'd be unhappy with.
The gaps are now almost completely gone, and the centre stone's basket is sitting properly. I am so much happier with this one!

What I finally realized, after spending hours pouring over dozens of images of 3-stone emerald cut rings, is that the side stone's inner prongs are not set on the corners, they get set over the top of the stone. It makes the prongs a bit off-kilter, but the stones are then able to sit right up against each other. Since my side stones are almost as tall as the centre stone, they can only go as far as the centre stone's corner prongs, which leaves a tiny (but acceptable) gap. Once I showed the jeweler the pics, pointing out the prong placement, he was able to replicate it. He had never done a 3-stone setting with rectangular stones. I don't think he'll want to do another one any time soon ...

_35321.jpg

_35322.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That works too and your ring looks much better! :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for the update - your ring looks much better and I'm so glad you're happier with it! :appl:

abbit

Rough_Rock

Much better, and I love the shape of your ring

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Much better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results