shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen refusing to give ASET images?

kazzza

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this forum has been a great help. I'm after a 1.5 carat cushion cut stone, and I ended up selecting 3 from James Allen to be looked at by a gemologist and have ASET images. After patiently awaiting this for the last 5 days, I got told the results were in, and they recommended one stone, saying it was bright and eye clean and had good light performance - but they did not send the ASET images. When I queried where they were, I got told that consumers often can't interpret ASET images, and I should go with the gemologist recommendation on the stone.

Should I be concerned? It feels like they are trying to avoid sending them to me for some reason, they are saying that no one can access them at the moment, but they can confirm that they have been done. They said someone will be back in touch during office hours about it. But I'm a bit suspicious about why they can't just send them.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Odd.

I would ask to speak with someone else. Also, personally, if they couldn't provide me info I probably would decline purchase what kind of cushions did you request? Can we see links? I wonder if they are crushed ice type cushions that will have ugly asets (by nature those are just not pretty)

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
Niel|1435715644|3897134 said:
Odd.

I would ask to speak with someone else. Also, personally, if they couldn't provide me info I probably would decline purchase what kind of cushions did you request? Can we see links? I wonder if they are crushed ice type cushions that will have ugly asets (by nature those are just not pretty)

Niel, this may be a dumb question...but can you explain why crushed ice cushions have ugly ASETs? I am catching on that crushed ice cushions are not well liked around here. Members on this site tend to gravitate more towards cushions with more defined facets. I, for whatever reason, am drawn to the crushed ice cushions. I just like them, I can't help it! But I respect the opinions of PSers so much that I feel almost embarrassed to like them :shhh: So why are they undesirable? I think they are so sparkly!!! :confused:

kazzza

Rough_Rock
These are the 3 that I picked:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.55-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-426912
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.52-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-438538
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.55-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-sku-438702

At the time I didn't realise you could only do the ASETs once, if I had known that I might have just got an ASET on the one that I was most interested in at the time. The rep didn't tell me, she just said oh pick 3 - and I quickly scrambled and added another 2 to my list.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsJolie|1435716115|3897142 said:
Odd.

Niel, this may be a dumb question...but can you explain why crushed ice cushions have ugly ASETs? I am catching on that crushed ice cushions are not well liked around here. Members on this site tend to gravitate more towards cushions with more defined facets. I, for whatever reason, am drawn to the crushed ice cushions. I just like them, I can't help it! But I respect the opinions of PSers so much that I feel almost embarrassed to like them :shhh: So why are they undesirable? I think they are so sparkly!!! :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocate for or against crushed ice style cushions. They can be very lovely. I'm just saying their performance is not well measured by the aset tool. Have you looked at images of asets for crushed ice cushions? So someone new to buying diamonds might see an aset of that style cushion that could very well be a disco ball, but be unfamiliar with what that style of cushion translates to in asets, and think it's a dud

kazzza

Rough_Rock
Odd.

I think you might be right, 2 of those stones are a bit of a crushed ice look. Any opinions much appreciated!

Wmiod

Rough_Rock
This makes me nervous! I have been on JA all day and just put in my three (but one of them is not confirmed and still shows up publicly).

I hope your situation works out. I really want to share on Pricescope when they're in.

Good luck!

PS I would definitely make it clear that you NEED those images before buying.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
kazzza|1435715372|3897131 said:
Hi everyone, this forum has been a great help. I'm after a 1.5 carat cushion cut stone, and I ended up selecting 3 from James Allen to be looked at by a gemologist and have ASET images. After patiently awaiting this for the last 5 days, I got told the results were in, and they recommended one stone, saying it was bright and eye clean and had good light performance - but they did not send the ASET images. When I queried where they were, I got told that consumers often can't interpret ASET images, and I should go with the gemologist recommendation on the stone.

Should I be concerned? It feels like they are trying to avoid sending them to me for some reason, they are saying that no one can access them at the moment, but they can confirm that they have been done. They said someone will be back in touch during office hours about it. But I'm a bit suspicious about why they can't just send them.

JA is using a variety of suppliers to populate their site.

Each has a different policy regarding images / details / ASET / Idealscope.

This is a somewhat recent development, as in the past you would be able to get ASET/Idealscope on ANY three stones in their inventory.

I would not be alarmed by it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not that a crushed ice or radiant has an ugly ASET, it's just that it is different. In a crushed type fancy, a good performing ASET will show a lot of green with many small red areas distributed evenly. This means that there will be lots of small sparkles throughout the stone. It's just a different flavour. That said, I've seen all too many dud crushed ice type diamonds too.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1435723969|3897189 said:
kazzza|1435715372|3897131 said:

JA is using a variety of suppliers to populate their site.

Each has a different policy regarding images / details / ASET / Idealscope.

This is a somewhat recent development, as in the past you would be able to get ASET/Idealscope on ANY three stones in their inventory.

I would not be alarmed by it.

Typically, under the "new system" either they can or they can't get ASETS. I've yet to hear of someone get5ing asets but being refused them. And saying "no one is getting them" is concerning.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435752022|3897298 said:
It's not that a crushed ice or radiant has an ugly ASET, it's just that it is different. In a crushed type fancy, a good performing ASET will show a lot of green with many small red areas distributed evenly. This means that there will be lots of small sparkles throughout the stone. It's just a different flavour. That said, I've seen all too many dud crushed ice type diamonds too.

I guess we disagree on what's "ugly", even the nicest crushed ice aset I've seen still does not look like many newer buyers expect an aset to look like. For this reason I consider them ugly.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,
Fair enough. Do you then consider most pear, marquise and oval ASETs ugly? They typically have mostly green and hardly any red, even for top performers.

Kazzza,
Did the JA rep say they will not send the ASET or is it that you feel that they are reluctant? The two scenarios are different. If they have not explicitly said they will not send the ASET images to you, I would request them to be emailed to you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435758613|3897321 said:
Niel,
Fair enough. Do you then consider most pear, marquise and oval ASETs ugly? They typically have mostly green and hardly any red, even for top performers.

Kazzza,
Did the JA rep say they will not send the ASET or is it that you feel that they are reluctant? The two scenarios are different. If they have not explicitly said they will not send the ASET images to you, I would request them to be emailed to you.

A good marquise I think even a novice can recognize, ovals and pears are worse but in my opinion they aren't to the same degree as a true crushed ice cushions. Keep in mind though I'm not putting all modern cushions into that category

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel|1435758444|3897320 said:

I guess we disagree on what's "ugly", even the nicest crushed ice aset I've seen still does not look like many newer buyers expect an aset to look like. For this reason I consider them ugly.

Given that newer buyers have no idea what an aset is ( unless they've been to an AGS member store, at which point they are not newer buyers) – they can only use the opinions of people were posting here.
Is by no means instinctive to understand what the aset is telling us.
Personally, I think it's an error to use our own taste and call things ugly when other people really love them.
The asset below is a good example of a well performing crushed ice stone
orc.jpg

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
MrsJolie|1435716115|3897142 said:
Odd.

+1000000
In the real world you are by no means alone – crushed ice is a very popular look. On the Internet, where people can post frequently and express strong opinions it tends to silence others who feel differently – therefore , you get a slanted picture

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1435767094|3897382 said:
Niel|1435758444|3897320 said:

Given that newer buyers have no idea what an aset is ( unless they've been to an AGS member store, at which point they are not newer buyers) – they can only use the opinions of people were posting here.
Is by no means instinctive to understand what the aset is telling us.
Personally, I think it's an error to use our own taste and call things ugly when other people really love them.
The asset below is a good example of a well performing crushed ice stone
orc.jpg

Again, (again!) I'm not saying those diamonds are ugly. I get you get defensive on the subject. I am saying, to someone new to buying diamonds who learns about asets here and other websites, they come to " expect" a certain look from them, and I say the ASET is ugly as it does not conform to the basic "bullet point" teachings of what a good aset looks like.

They look leaky. That's how they look. That to me is an ugly aset. That's is what I said. I'm not calling the diamonds ugly.

You have in the past used this aset as an example of a well cut diamond, I do believe you have also made the point of saying you yourself don't find a static aset image all that helpful in evaluating these types of diamonds

fivectaset.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,
I used to think that lots of red and very little white is a good thing but found that the simplification of ASET reading to be incorrect and could end up dismissing some nice fancies. Lots of red isn't necessarily good. Very little white isn't necessarily bad. It is about how much of it and their placement. Learning to intepret the ASET image correctly isn't easy or straightforward as I once thought. I've seen some fancies with a strong large red area in the middle and it ended up looking funky in person because the distribution matters.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435769629|3897409 said:
Niel,
I used to think that lots of red and very little white is a good thing but found that the simplification of ASET reading to be incorrect and could end up dismissing some nice fancies. Lots of red isn't necessarily good. Very little white isn't necessarily bad. It is about how much of it and their placement. Learning to intepret the ASET image correctly isn't easy or straightforward as I once thought. I've seen some fancies with a strong large red area in the middle and it ended up looking funky in person because the distribution matters.

Yes. I agree. What I'm saying is you had to learn this. That's my point. A novice isn't going to understand the intricacies. Which is again, what I'm getting at, and probably why they don't want to share the asets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1435769819|3897411 said:
Chrono|1435769629|3897409 said:
Niel,

Yes. I agree. What I'm saying is you had to learn this. That's my point. A novice isn't going to understand the intricacies. Which is again, what I'm getting at, and probably why they don't want to share the asets.

That plus the fact that there aren't that many well cut fancy cut stones. Ignorance is bliss, but it is costly.

One more thing to the original poster...many of us do not have high confidence in their gemologist opinions, so I would not rely heavily on that, either. I use GOG or Brilliantly Engaged who are known for picking nice cushions.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Or David at diamonds by Lauren

As we know he loves that style of diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1435770499|3897416 said:

:lol:

I just want to say that maybe the OP has not had a chance to really compare an excellent cut cushion with a typical crushed ice one. It would be rare to happen upon well cut ones at a local jeweler. Not to mention that even total duds look pretty good in jewelry store lighting. But sure, if crushed ice is the preference, David is a good choice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1435770869|3897420 said:

:lol:
I just want to say that maybe the OP has not had a chance to really compare an excellent cut cushion with a typical crushed ice one. It would be rare to happen upon well cut ones at a local jeweler.

+2 here too. :lol: I do think it will be good if the OP can see a good modern cushion vs good crushed ice cushion. Most of the local stores where I am only carry the crushed ice version.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember seeing on Dallas, Sue Ellen's ring when I was a teenager and I just loved it. it was large and rectangular and I think a crushed ice radiant. I remember they were sitting outside for breakfast. I would love to see it again. I have looked on Google but just seem to find a later ring she got. I like crushed ice look, so everyone doesn't hate them.

kazzza

Rough_Rock
I was sent the ASET images - here they are. Any thoughts? image_3663.jpg

_31815.jpg

_31816.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I liked the 2nd stone before you posted the aset, and I still do with the aset.

kazzza

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1435774786|3897472 said:
Personally, I liked the 2nd stone before you posted the aset, and I still do with the aset.
I kind of did too, however they've said the gemologist doesn't recommend this stone due to a cavity in the corner which could be affected by pressure from a prong. So that one has to be out of the running I guess. Hence they've recommended 426912. Is that still a nice stone?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I happen to love many different styles of diamond- including well performing crushed ice.
I've started a new thread about this issue ( again ) so we don't threadjack.
I welcome any and all to share ideas and discuss this issue.

kazzza

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1435758613|3897321 said:
Kazzza,

I felt they were reluctant. When I initially sent the request through, they said they would send ASETs to me. But when the report came in, they just didn't include them. I got on live chat and spoke to someone who said he couldn't give them to me - which seemed strange.

I do have them now. I think maybe they were reluctant because one stone has lots of red on the image - however they've said the gemologist doesn't recommend that stone due to there being a cavity in the corner of it.

So I think maybe they didn't want me initially getting the ASETs and being disappointed i can't have the stone which had the best light performance?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kazzza,
I encourage you to look at the other thread, and hopefully participate.
Learning how to interpret ASET images is really not intuitive- and a lot of what's been written on this forum about them is misleading if one is untrained to correlating ASET to real life diamonds.
Yet people who come to ask questions are constantly to advised to get these images- which are then interpreted by other consumers, who may not share your taste.

Or, far easier- get actual images and use your eyes to determine what YOU think it more beautiful- AND get a money back guarantee.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kazzza|1435775704|3897494 said:
telephone89|1435774786|3897472 said:
I kind of did too, however they've said the gemologist doesn't recommend this stone due to a cavity in the corner which could be affected by pressure from a prong. So that one has to be out of the running I guess. Hence they've recommended 426912. Is that still a nice stone?
Aah shoot. The 426912 would be my second choice of your 3.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results