shape
carat
color
clarity

need help finding a teal stone for my ring

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Hi everybody, I've been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first post. I'd love to have some help finding the perfect 8x8mm cushion cut stone for my ring. I originally wanted an irradiated blue diamond because I love the color, but I have not had luck finding one at all. That's when I started researching Montana sapphires, tourmaline, and spinel since they seem to have the beautiful blue green color I'm going for. I am in love with antique cushion cuts and have contacted a few precision cutters to find out about a custom cut, but so far have come up empty. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I want to make sure I find a stone that is durable enough for daily wear.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Budget? 8 x 8 mm means the CS will probably be at least 3 carats. Montana sapphires are typically smaller, spinels are typically smaller as well as dark and grayish, so the only other possibility is tourmaline, which isn't an everyday wear ring stone but with careful wear habits, it is doable.

What treatment is acceptable? None or heated?
Light teal or dark teal?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to keep the price at 2k or preferably less. I don't mind heat treatment. The Montana sapphires I found in the 8mm range were closer to 5k, which is why I have pretty much given up on them.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
also, I am open to any shade of teal but definitely prefer the deeper shades.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Thank you!

I love the color of that tourmaline and the price is definitely good! I am not sure if it will fit into my ring though. The dimensions of the stone I currently have set are 7.99 x 7.98 x 5.34

I have no idea what the general rule is when it comes to changing the dimensions of the center stone. I'm hoping not to have to alter the setting if at all possible.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case, the stone is really pushing it. I did not realize that you are looking for a replacement stone but in hindsight, should have suspected so from the title of your thread. We'll keep looking then.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your setting such that it might be modified with a new head or rebuilt basket to allow for a slightly different sized stone? If so, and you're open to that, it might open up a lot more options for you. Just a thought.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenn is correct. A peg head can be changed. I've also changed the head of an integrated basket before but it is a bit more costly and slightly more complicated. If it is a halo, then you have no choice.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
I think the setting probably could be changed, it's not a halo. It's a brand new ring I had custom made by Green Lake Jewelry Works. I had it set with a diamond simulant thinking/hoping that in a year or so I could to replace it with an ACC diamond or sapphire. It turns out I just do not like the simulant. The cut is terrible, very splintery and shallow looking. I'm so frustrated because it's my own dang fault for choosing it. :doh:

I tried to attach a picture, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's a vintage style platinum ring with an open basket and double claw prongs. Green Lake will buy back the "stone" and replace it with a Montana sapphire, but the cost will be about 5k and I just can't swing that right now. So that is what started my search for a good and hopefully affordable replacement. So all that to say I'm really hoping to not have to change the setting since it it so new and perfect.

Does anyone know the range in stone size a setting will accept?

If someone can tell me how to post my picture I'd be glad to show the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most prong settings have a +/- 0.5 mm in either direction. Depending on the skill of the jeweller and setting, it can go up to 1 mm but this is situational.

To attach pictures

The file size of your picture must be under 100KB.

Click on Reply.
Click on the little "Attach File" blue box towards the left near the middle of the screen.
A pop up window will appear.

Click on Chose File.
Click on the location and name of your picture file.
Click choose.

Click on Submit on the right side.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, here's the ring

peacock_ring1.jpg

peacock_ring2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's gorgeous! Unfortunately, you've gone about the ring the reverse way. Good stones are hard to come by so most people shop for the stone first, then get the setting later. It is far more challenging to try to find a stone to fit an existing setting. Have you contacted Green Lake to find out what is the maximum stone size the setting can hold?

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, I love it. I am frustrated with myself for not getting the perfect stone first. Green Lake says within 1/10th of the current stones dimensions would fit the stone, but I've heard others say it really depends on the jeweler. Maybe I should just wait until I can afford the custom cut Montana sapphire, I just feel impatient because every time I look at the ring I see that poorly cut simulant...ugh

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results