shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you get your hair color done at someone's home?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...I have a chance to "cheat."

During a conversation with my manicurist where I was complaining about how much it costs for a haircut and color, she told me that she goes to this hair stylist who works at a local salon, but she goes to his home.

I've seen the salon before, and it looks OK to me - doesn't look as upscale as mine - and the people there don't look as hip/funky as at mine. But I know neither is necessarily an indicator of the quality of haircut or color someone can give, so I have an open mind right now.

I am willing to chance him for a haircut but I am more nervous about the color - not only skills wise, but product wise...does it matter if the's not using salon products and is getting stuff at like Sally's? Or does it all work the same? (and is it OK to ask him what he uses or would that sound rude?)

The other thing is Olaplex - I was thinking of trying it but I'm thinking he likely doesn't use it...and if he says he does, again, how do I know it's the real stuff, that he purchased it through an authorized retailer?

I feel like it might be worth trying, but I'm a little nervous. Would you try it? What would you ask?

(BTW my manicurist's haircuts and color always look great but she's absolutely stunning so I really can't judge it on that...but she tells me she's very happy and her kids who are very picky are very happy with this guy...)

(also she never told me how much he charges so that may end up making a difference of course...but I have a feeling it may be considerably less, since she doesn't like to spend money on anything!)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't he bring home things he buys thru the salon to use? So it would still be the real deal, not like an off brand or knock off? One of my friends was a cosmetologist for years and she had certain hours at the salon where she worked-she came once to my house to cut London's hair b/c it wasn't her weekend to work and she brought her boys to play w/Trapper. And I used to take London to her house to have her hair done for dance. Does his salon know he does it or is it an on the side venture nobody is supposed to get wind of?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's an ethical consideration to this also. If he's an employee of the salon, he's taking away their business/cutting their profit, sneaking work on the side, pocketing the money and likely not paying taxes on it. As far as the quality of the products he uses, you'll just have to ask him.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Packrat - I didn't ask - but I assumed it's a side venture that isn't advertised...but I am not sure.

I'm thinking most salons wouldn't want their stylists to do that, especially if the client is in the same town? I don't know I guess I always assumed that.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1435339887|3894819 said:
There's an ethical consideration to this also. If he's an employee of the salon, he's taking away their business/cutting their profit, sneaking work on the side, pocketing the money and likely not paying taxes on it. As far as the quality of the products he uses, you'll just have to ask him.

Right.

And I'm not sure how she got started working with him at his house - if she was a client of the salon first, or if she met him some other way...

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Matata|1435339887|3894819 said:

Yes, this. He's likely just scheduling work on the side and cheating his salon. I wouldn't be comfortable with it, but I really wouldn't be 100% comfortable having my hair done in someone's home anyways. My hair services are professional and part of that professionalism is the salon in which the services take place. I realize that a qualified individual can still perform the same services at home, but it's just not something that I'd participate in - although, I'm sure that lots of people do with good results.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there is much of an ethical problem here. Most stylists pay a booth rental these days. If they do pay a percentage it is because the house provides all the supplies. I wouldn't worry about that. He probably still buys his color at the beauty supply stores like Cosmoprof or Salon Centric (formerly Mally's). They have all the major brands, unless it is a brand that would only sell to certain salons like Aveda.

The generic stuff can be bought at Sallys. My daughter tells me there is not any difference she can tell in developers, although ever line has there own.

I used to go to a stylist who gave up her own salon and turned part of her home into a salon. I didn't like going there. It felt awkward but mostly because she had a very strange daughter who also did hair and the daughter had a baby who was in a crib close by. The whole thing was creepy to me. One of my friends daughter has the same kind of situation in Colorado and I wouldn't hesitate to go to her if I lived there. I guess what matters is the stylist and how the whole thing feels to you.

Stylist are self employed for the most part and pay their own taxes so I wouldn't worry about that aspect either.

He is probably cutting his overhead because he pays booth rental by the day. My daughter pays for four days a week and if she had one client that came on another day it cuts into her profits. Ask him why he does it at his home instead of the salon. Maybe the salon sets the price structure and he started doing it at home because he had clients who wanted to leave because the price was too high. A stylist isn't under contract to most salons and they can leave if they want to. I wouldn't have a problem unless it just felt creepy. My daughter goes to a lot of peoples homes that can't make it to the salon and she doesn't owe the salon any money when she does that.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1435341087|3894831 said:
I don't think there is much of an ethical problem here. Most stylists pay a booth rental these days. If they do pay a percentage it is because the house provides all the supplies. I wouldn't worry about that. He probably still buys his color at the beauty supply stores like Cosmoprof or Salon Centric (formerly Mally's). They have all the major brands, unless it is a brand that would only sell to certain salons like Aveda.

The generic stuff can be bought at Sallys. My daughter tells me there is not any difference she can tell in developers, although ever line has there own.

I used to go to a stylist who gave up her own salon and turned part of her home into a salon. I didn't like going there. It felt awkward but mostly because she had a very strange daughter who also did hair and the daughter had a baby who was in a crib close by. The whole thing was creepy to me. One of my friends daughter has the same kind of situation in Colorado and I wouldn't hesitate to go to her if I lived there. I guess what matters is the stylist and how the whole thing feels to you.

Stylist are self employed for the most part and pay their own taxes so I wouldn't worry about that aspect either.

sparkle I think this is a lot of the reason that has kept me from calling him (I got his # last week and every time I go call...I don't...)

I could see how it could feel awkward - it's his house, and it's just...different...maybe there IS an aspect to it like momhappy said, that part of the professionalism happens as part of the salon visit...but yes, would mostly depend on the person how professional they keep it.

I keep visualizing just being at his house and what if I'm not happy with something, and...

I have to admit, even with some of the ethical aspects that matata and momhappy brought up, if I could be reassured he'd be a total professional, and serious, and it would "feel" like a strictly business like appointment, I'd try it...(assuming he also had the skills and used good products). Maybe I would feel different later, or after, but I think I'd try it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Never hurts to try it and see. Or even just call him and see from your conversation if you're comfortable w/him. The latest stylist I had been using turned her porch into her salon and that worked great. She liked it b/c it saved driving time etc too.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435344101|3894865 said:
Never hurts to try it and see. Or even just call him and see from your conversation if you're comfortable w/him. The latest stylist I had been using turned her porch into her salon and that worked great. She liked it b/c it saved driving time etc too.

Yes, I have to just call him...I don't know why I'm having such anxiety over the phone call (well, aside from the fact that 1. I hate the phone 2. I feel like if I talk to him I'll feel "bad" if I don't actually go through with an appointment.) I've been tempted to just text him, but a phone call feels like the most appropriate/polite thing and plus I won't be able to tell personality via text...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
How soon are you wanting to get your hair done? When I had my hair done in March at the "fancy" salon, they pressured me into making a follow up, so I did, and then I ended up sick (would've been fine by the appt) a few days before so I called and cancelled it and never made another appt. Maybe if you make it a couple weeks out or so, you could think on it?

ETA I hate the phone too, detest it.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ, I totally relate to your feelings about calling and talking to him. Can you ask the other girl who goes to him some of these questions?
If you don't feel comfortable going after all, just send him a text as far in advance as possible. My DD has had so many people cancel on her at the very last minute and it is so frustrating to her. Sometimes she has turned down other people because she already had someone booked for that time slot and the people just don't show.

I would see what info you can get from the other girl. Maybe she would even be willing to call him and ask the question if she knows him better than you do.

I also hate to talk on the phone.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
My stylist does everything from her home. She has all authorized products as she is licensed to purchase them, including olaplex. She doesn't work at a salon and if she did, I really wouldn't care. I love her work, prices are amazing, and I am one super happy client. So happy that I just moved an hour and a half away from her and I will continue to go to her.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister is a hair colourist and she does this. As a student she built a client list of her own and continues to meet people outside of her day job at a salon. The people she meets and who she gets into conversations with about her job and are interested she refers to her own business. She'll also happily refer people to the salon she works at just depending on how the conversation goes. No ethical dilemma at all. She didn't meet them at the salon and she's welcome to do anyone's hair as she pleases. She has converted her downstairs bathroom into her salon area and it looks very professional with a proper chair, mirrors, cart of products, etc. If she were stealing customers from the salon I'd see the ethical dilemma, but these are her friends, her family, her contacts, not people who walked into the salon and believe me, most were unlikely to ever set foot in the salon. The salon is hip and upscale and super expensive. My sister's contacts aren't always. In fact, a few are the ladies in their 70s and who take the daytime exercise class my sister does :) Hip for their age, not hip compared to the salon.

She purchases her products at a place where you have to show your state licence to purchase products. Of course she pays more than her salon does because they purchase in bulk but she uses the exact same colours, shampoos, and products her salon does. It's a Aveda salon she works it. She will occasionally use another type of colour which she prefers but which she is unable to use at the salon due the agreements the salon has with Aveda.

Her prices start at around half the price that the salon charges and go up to roughly 3/4 of the prices just depending on how complex the work is.

It's a win-win for her. Sister keeps her friends and family happy by the cheaper rates, she makes more money having another part-time self employed job, and she enjoys the less fast paced atmosphere of doing hair from her own home.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat said:
How soon are you wanting to get your hair done? When I had my hair done in March at the "fancy" salon, they pressured me into making a follow up, so I did, and then I ended up sick (would've been fine by the appt) a few days before so I called and cancelled it and never made another appt. Maybe if you make it a couple weeks out or so, you could think on it?

ETA I hate the phone too, detest it.

I *need* a haircut but if I take some time to style it if I have to look somewhat decent it looks OK - so I can do it for like in 2 weeks without a problem...

Yes, the phone is something I try to avoid at all costs.

luv2sparkle|1435360722|3894978 said:
CJ, I totally relate to your feelings about calling and talking to him. Can you ask the other girl who goes to him some of these questions?
If you don't feel comfortable going after all, just send him a text as far in advance as possible. My DD has had so many people cancel on her at the very last minute and it is so frustrating to her. Sometimes she has turned down other people because she already had someone booked for that time slot and the people just don't show.

I would see what info you can get from the other girl. Maybe she would even be willing to call him and ask the question if she knows him better than you do.

I also hate to talk on the phone.

Sparkle I would absolutely not ever cancel on anyone last minute - professional or not - unless it really is an emergency that came up last minute. But I try to always give at LEAST 24 hours notice, even when it's not required...I hate canceling with less time than that.

I can text my manicurist and get an idea of some of the things...but I know nothing will beat talking to him, you know?

So funny how so many people hate the phone - how come it doesn't seem to be any of the people I know IRL? ::)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK so I called him...

He was pleasant on the phone - there was nothing that stuck out to me I didn't like - he seemed nice.

It was a little uncomfortable to ask him, but I did ask him if he felt comfortable cutting bob hairstyles, since I've heard many people say it's a challenging cut. He said that yes, he did feel comfortable with it.

I told him I'd probably just try him for a haircut for now but that I'd be interested to hear his thoughts on my color, and I asked him what color he uses - he said he uses Wella Koleston Perfect color. (this seems to be a professional brand - anyone have any experience with it?)

He would come to my house or I would go to his - right now I have him set up to come to mine...

For the haircut he charges about 1/2 of what I pay now...so...I'm excited about that. The color didn't seem too different from what I pay now, but that's over the phone he said he'll give me a more solid quote when he sees me.

I'm excited but I'm kind of nervous too...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! I'm glad you called him-when is he coming to fancy you up?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435628448|3896588 said:
Yay! I'm glad you called him-when is he coming to fancy you up?

hehe fancy me up

Next Monday - like we talked about figured gives me enough time if I chicken out ::)

But I don't think I will...

Did I mention he's less than half of what I usually pay?

Yeah.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope it works well for you-you could take your savings on your hair and put it toward sparklie projects!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so excited for you! 1/2 price is really good! I like to think my sister's clients see her just for her work, but I'm sure the huge discount over a salon setting is important to them too. Huge savings, isn't it?!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have gone to 2 gals that do it out of their home. Both converted a floor (main floor & basement) in their home to be their salon. They both use real products, and in fact I worked at a spa, and our rep who sold many different products actually sold to her too. So I knew they were real and not knockoffs.

I don't think it's sketchy at all, its just a home based business. Its not usually a conflict of interest, unless you're sitting in the salon and he offers to do your colour in his home for cheaper. And I think its pretty rude that someone assumed just because they work from home they arent paying taxes? Wtf?

Personally, I think the best way to find a hairdresser is to ask people who have nice looking hair where they go. You said your manicurist has great hair, I'd trust that.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about Wella color. If you have a color brand that you like and want to use, I would ask him to use that. His license would allow him to purchase any kind of hair color. I would ask why he likes Wella. I was using Redken for years and my daughter wanted me to try Rusk. She said she liked the shine, and the color didn't fade as fast and you got more in the tube than with Redken. All good reasons. I changed and have been happy with it. I have her buy extra color for me and I do some of my touch ups myself. He may have great reasons for liking that particular brand, and I would want to know what they are.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! I'll let you know how it goes! (and yes, it's a huge savings!)

luv2sparkle|1435678236|3896823 said:
I don't know much about Wella color. If you have a color brand that you like and want to use, I would ask him to use that. His license would allow him to purchase any kind of hair color. I would ask why he likes Wella. I was using Redken for years and my daughter wanted me to try Rusk. She said she liked the shine, and the color didn't fade as fast and you got more in the tube than with Redken. All good reasons. I changed and have been happy with it. I have her buy extra color for me and I do some of my touch ups myself. He may have great reasons for liking that particular brand, and I would want to know what they are.

I love this idea of asking him why he likes the Wella brand sparkle - and it will be easy to do because we're going to be discussing color.

One thing I'm wondering now...if doing the haircut at my house is the best idea - where will we wash my hair? Kitchen sink I guess?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
My hairdresser comes to my house. I do know her from high school and she works at a salon managing full time. She prefers to do hair on the side instead of at the salon. I pay a fraction of the cost, can sit in my pjs and don't have to drive anywhere. It's awesome. Some of my friends have used her and she has gone to their homes to. In my opinion, best way to get your hair done!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So...I ended up coloring my hair myself.

hahahaha

I just couldn't stand the brassy washed out highlight chunk and weird ashy root thing I had going on.

I've never colored my hair myself that I can remember - so I have no idea what possessed me.

I did the Clairol Natural Instincts 5A medium cool brown - it's a demi permanent that is supposed to last 28 shampoos.

I like the color - plain old brown - which is what I wanted - I was so sick of the red orange that always comes through in my hair and now I see hints of it but much much less than before.

We'll see how the color washes out...

So maybe if this ends up looking OK I can just go to the salon for highlights once in a while, etc.

Monday is the haircut - we'll see how that goes - 1 down, 1 to go!

(lovelikecrazy I love the idea of not having to go anywhere too!)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't wait to hear how it went!

My only problem with having service people coming to my house is they stay overlong. I know, its ungracious of me, but I'm nervous for hair appointments and when its over I want to be DONE.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1435964452|3898613 said:
I can't wait to hear how it went!

My only problem with having service people coming to my house is they stay overlong. I know, its ungracious of me, but I'm nervous for hair appointments and when its over I want to be DONE.

Oh.

Yeah. Didn't think of that.

I don't like anybody in my house period. haha

Wow I hope he doesn't start chatting me up. :/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to give an update, and (inspired by azstonie's post, wanted to ask a question)

(and Kristie, you are so funny! with The Hair Unicorn comment and Christmas Tree :lol: ) And you guys are all brave cutting your own hair.

So, for the update...

The guy did do a decent job, but I didn't like him too much...I didn't find him to be that professional, there was something about him and his wife that rubbed me the wrong way, even though they didn't do anything terrible. He brought her without letting me know he was going to bring her, which to me is the first unprofessional move, and she seemed to look around my house way too much...like she seemed nosy or something. They complimented my decor but I would have preferred them not look around and say nothing about my house. It was also odd that he brought a chair (did he think I wouldn't have a chair?) but not a blow dryer ("oh, I thought you said you only wanted a hair cut...") maybe it's me but I've never had a haircut without a blow dry...and even if you don't style it at least even to see if the hair is falling as you expect it to...and he made my apron too tight and he sectioned off my hair too tight...little things that I found odd.

But the hair cut came out decent "enough" and it was half the $ I usually pay...

But I need another haircut and even at half the $ I'm not dying to have him back...

So I can either go to the regular salon (which will be like $75 with tip) or...one thing I was considering is going to a beauty/cosmetology school - has anybody tried that? (and if you have, any tips? the one thing I've read is to make sure there is an instructor/supervisor overlooking the cut.)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi CJ, I can completely understand why you were uncomfortable about him bringing his wife without talking to you about it and her looking around your home. That would make me uncomfortable as well. I probably shouldn't say this but I would be a complete wreck having a cosmetology school cutting and coloring my hair. I would feel much more comfortable having someone with experience working on my hair. You have no way of knowing if you are getting the top person in the class or the person who is barely passing the course. I get nervous if my hair is being trimmed more than an inch.

I also have the same issues with my hair getting that brassy color after a few shampoos. I am now wearing my hair a little bit darker as it seems to have gotten rid of the brassy color... but I am not exactly happy with having my hair this dark. I swear hair is a never ending battle.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1439744756|3915194 said:
Hi CJ, I can completely understand why you were uncomfortable about him bringing his wife without talking to you about it and her looking around your home. That would make me uncomfortable as well. I probably shouldn't say this but I would be a complete wreck having a cosmetology school cutting and coloring my hair. I would feel much more comfortable having someone with experience working on my hair. You have no way of knowing if you are getting the top person in the class or the person who is barely passing the course. I get nervous if my hair is being trimmed more than an inch.

I also have the same issues with my hair getting that brassy color after a few shampoos. I am now wearing my hair a little bit darker as it seems to have gotten rid of the brassy color... but I am not exactly happy with having my hair this dark. I swear hair is a never ending battle.

Callie, she didn't make it too obvious that she was looking around, but I could tell she was...

(ETA and yeah it really kind of annoyed me he brought her...she sat behind us at my living room table, looking at her phone...well, I don't know exactly what she was doing, actually, since she was behind us the whole time. He should have asked me if it was OK to bring her if for whatever reason he couldn't avoid bringing her - but better, he should have come by himself.)

They just both seemed, "off" in some way.

Don't worry! I want you to say what you really think! And yes, you're right, these would be people with ZERO experience. :errrr: I hadn't quite thought of it that way.

I colored my own last time - also a bit darker than I normally do, and with a cool undertone - totally took care of the brassiness. Finally. I definitely plan on coloring my own again.

So with the $ I'm saving there maybe I shouldn't stress it and just go to my regular salon...

ETA2: it's never ending for me at this stage in my life because I'm a bit low on $ and also because it's bothering me more and more to spend $75 for a TRIM...I feel like salons should have a different price for just trims...but I used to get haircuts and manicures and pedicures without thinking about it too much. I miss those days.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results