shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you plan to spend your extra second tomorrow?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/06/29/june-will-end-with-a-rare-61-second-minute/

Partial Snip:

We’ll need to wait for July just a shade longer, as the world’s timekeepers have added a leap second June 30 – to officially keep Earth and our precise, atomic clocks in sync.

On Tuesday a leap second will be added to the world’s clocks at 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59 seconds Coordinated Universal Time (UTC, formerly called Greenwich Mean Time). For the Eastern United States, this translates 7:59:59 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time, which is when the extra second will be inserted at the U.S. Naval Observatory’s Master Clock Facility.

Normally, the world’s timepieces go from 23:59:59 to 00:00:00 – the start of the next day. With the leap second insertion, UTC will move from 23:59:59 to 23:59:60 to 00:00:00. Welcome to July.

The rate of Earth’s rotation has slowed an average of about 1.5 to 2 milliseconds per day, per century – mostly due to tidal forces in the Earth-moon system, said Geoff Chester, public affairs astronomer at the Naval Observatory.

More: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/06/29/june-will-end-with-a-rare-61-second-minute/

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to take a sip of a nice new Scotch I got.
Well, it's not new; it's over 16 years old.
Lagavulin 16 Single Malt Scotch from the Isle of Islay ...
Smokey and peaty ... YUM!

Cheers.

What'll you do with all your extra time tomorrow?

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to try that Scotch Kenny. It's been recommended to me by a lot of people. I'll spend that extra second trying out some of the luxury chocolate mentioned in the other thread.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata|1435608332|3896442 said:
I want to try that Scotch Kenny. It's been recommended to me by a lot of people.

I've seen it price up to $100.
Costco had it for around $55 IIRC.

BTW, I found Laphroiag 10 for only $40 at Trader Joe's, killer price.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ever since our trip to Ireland last year, I've been drinking Jameson's Black Label. However, my stepson took me to the Multnomah Whiskey Library in Portland OR where I asked the server to bring me a well-aged scotch. He brought me something that tasted and smelled like a peat fire. It was fabulous and expensive. I can't remember the name of it which is probably a good thing because it was upwards of $200 a bottle. I couldn't get over how peaty it was. The smell of those fires is one of my fondest memories of our visit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results