shape
carat
color
clarity

Luxury chocolate brands?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to give a gift to my dermatologist - she is just so nice and honest and she's given me a couple of price breaks - nothing crazy, but still, it adds up - on procedures before, and I just really like her (so does DH) - I asked the receptionist and she said she likes chocolates and plants.

I think I like the idea of chocolates better - but I'd like to hear what you think.

For chocolates, what are some really good chocolate brands (aside from Godiva).

I'm thinking of spending $35 - $50...or is $35 too "cheap" to even think about?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not find Godiva to be particularly good, more so at the high prices. Neuhaus, Valrhona and zChocolat are much better.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435341483|3894837 said:
I do not find Godiva to be particularly good, more so at the high prices. Neuhaus, Valrhona and zChocolat are much better.

Hi Chrono :wavey: (I feel like I know you a little better after the 24 hour thread and we sound a lot alike) :bigsmile: even though I can be a bit touchy feely at times. So just ignore that part when I do it. :D

I feel the same way about Godiva...that's why I was trying to avoid it...

I'll look into those brands, thanks!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing like Sees in my opinion, but they are in CA. You can probably order online but since it is summer now, I don't know if they can be shipped without melting.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Godiva used to be fantastic. But they've downgraded ingredients after the 2009 recession (like all your food brands, check the labels and net weights!).

Lot of people like Norman Love.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks sparkle and iLander! I'll check out those brands too (and thanks for the extra tips iLander)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1435341633|3894840 said:
There is nothing like Sees in my opinion, but they are in CA. You can probably order online but since it is summer now, I don't know if they can be shipped without melting.

+1 not the most expensive.. but really very good. I order it on line all the time and send it as gifts to clients..

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I love Leonidas. I first had it in Belgium, but they have some international stores, including New York. I've ordered from them a few times and it's always been great. About $40 for a one pound assortment. I think they have the best fillings. Dense smooth praline and fresh creams, none of the sticky, overly sugary stuff you find in Godiva.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jacques Torres!

Personally, I prefer local chocolatiers. Any local chocolatiers in the area?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a plant might be better - chocolate gets melty in the summer :(

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
charbonnel et walker. Their truffles are amazing.

Plus, at least for me, they are too expensive to buy for yourself so they make a great treat.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone! I'm looking into all the brands you mentioned.

PintoBean|1435343483|3894858 said:
Maybe a plant might be better - chocolate gets melty in the summer :(

Yes...they all require either 2 day or overnight delivery. I think Leonida's may even pack the chocolates with dry ice - not sure if the others do but I'll take that into consideration when comparing.

Not sure about local...I think I was feeling lazy and wanted it shipped...but, the shipping is expensive, so maybe I should consider it.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Neuhaus. Currently though I usually get chocolates from local independent chocolate shops - you could google to see if there are any in your area?

Of course, my REAL weakness is for those Guylian hazelnut chocolate shells... I can literally eat through thirty shells in one sitting. For a long time I was saved from this fate by having to trek halfway across the city to the store that I knew carried them, but THEN I discovered that I could order them from Amazon with Prime shipping and oooooh boy. I had to learn some self control.

re: Godiva, I don't really like the truffle things but they have this thing that is stacked bananas and strawberries dipped in chocolate and it is RIDICULOUS and I get one whenever I'm feeling down. Not practical as a gift though.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about making boozy chocolate truffles instead?

It is easy to make, can be a bit messy when rolling them in cocoa powder, however, the end results are much better than shop-bought versions.

DK :))

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
If you have access, Teuscher is excellent and they have the prettiest containers! Li-Lac is also really good, but only in NYC, as far as I know. and Nu Nu here in Brooklyn. And for your own consumption, try a really good and affordable grocery store brand, Guylian. They are the ones who make the pretty swirly shell-shaped pieces.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've tried almost everything mentioned in this thread but these are hands-down my favorite. I have a box of truffles in my desk drawer in event of a gift giving emergency (next to my Vueve Cliquot in event of celebration emergency): http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1435341969|3894848 said:
luv2sparkle|1435341633|3894840 said:

+1 not the most expensive.. but really very good. I order it on line all the time and send it as gifts to clients..

LOVE the lemon truffles. I think you can get them in a fancy gold box to make them look more expensive.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neuhaus. I had never bought them since my husband likes only dark chocolate and they make milk chocolate. However, his aunt and uncle liked milk chocolate so I bought Neuhaus for them. After that, I was sold! The only thing I like more is white chocolate infused with coconut. I used to be able to find that only in France. Now some manufacturer is selling a bar of it in the US.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will have to try Neuhaus. I currently buy Lindt but I don't think it's a luxury chocolate; you can buy it almost anywhere.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts|1435343940|3894864 said:
Of course, my REAL weakness is for those Guylian hazelnut chocolate shells... I can literally eat through thirty shells in one sitting. For a long time I was saved from this fate by having to trek halfway across the city to the store that I knew carried them, but THEN I discovered that I could order them from Amazon with Prime shipping and oooooh boy. I had to learn some self control.

Oh, man, me too. Those are just ridiculously good.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never turn down a box of See's, but being a Californian, they're not what I'd consider luxury chocolates. Leonidas are yummy and can come in a nice (and re-usable) presentation tin. Some of the other options people have posted look wonderful too!

Are there any good chocolatiers near you? There are at least two in my town that I could go to for a wonderful locally made chocolates (one of which also sells incredible macarons).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Vosges, Jacques Torres, Chauo's funky bars, Compartes

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissStepcut|1435349683|3894910 said:
I've tried almost everything mentioned in this thread but these are hands-down my favorite. I have a box of truffles in my desk drawer in event of a gift giving emergency (next to my Vueve Cliquot in event of celebration emergency): http://www.lakechamplainchocolates.com

Miss Stepcut I think I'm having a chocolate and champagne emergency Please come STAT! :naughty:

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
part gypsy|1435604994|3896404 said:
MissStepcut|1435349683|3894910 said:

Miss Stepcut I think I'm having a chocolate and champagne emergency Please come STAT! :naughty:
:mrgreen:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys :wavey:

I know a few of you had recommended Leonida's chocolates to me and in my FB feed today I saw an ad that they're having a huge sale.

I'm going to order a box (or two!) to try them.

http://www.leonidas-chocolate.com/

Enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results