shape
carat
color
clarity

Russian Demantoid 2+ carat - Advice please

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I couldn't find a thread/topic for introducing myself. Hope this is ok for my first post.

It seems I'm not a lone lover of intense green Russian demantoids. Perhaps you can help me.

I love the history associated with these stones, love the idea of horsetails and am attracted to a very vivid green but aside from that, I'm a bit lost. What sets a quality stone apart from one of lesser quality? Eye visible inclusions? Cut? Colour? It would be great to see photos of what some of you have collected, and what you prefer or think of as ideal.

Please see photo attached. I would love to know what you think of this stone?

Many thanks.

Kim

dsc083902.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberley|1423026896|3827038 said:
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. I couldn't find a thread/topic for introducing myself. Hope this is ok for my first post.

It seems I'm not a lone lover of intense green Russian demantoids. Perhaps you can help me.

I love the history associated with these stones, love the idea of horsetails and am attracted to a very vivid green but aside from that, I'm a bit lost. What sets a quality stone apart from one of lesser quality? Eye visible inclusions? Cut? Colour? It would be great to see photos of what some of you have collected, and what you prefer or think of as ideal.

Please see photo attached. I would love to know what you think of this stone?

The finest Russian demantoids were mined a long time ago it seems. Much of what is coming out of Russia today is not as saturated IMO, but I could be wrong. While horsetail inclusions are indicative of Russian material, they are found in other locations such as in West Asian stones as well I believe. The horsetail inclusions should not be so evident that they impede the clarity of the stone either, or be eye distracting.

When I was at a museum, I saw a beautiful antique Russian demantoid ring of amazing color, and to me, this is probably what is regarded as fine quality. That being said, there are beautiful stones from other locations, but they don't have this neon green color to them. I own some African stones and I own one Russian stone, but it's not neon green, but slightly yellowish green with great clarity, and lovely color, but not "top."

This is a horrible fuzzy picture I took of that antique Russian demantoid ring, but it was vivid green in person. It glowed like it was radioactive. It was one of the most beautiful gems I had ever seen in person, and I've seen many gorgeous pieces in my almost 30 years of collecting colored stones. The photo does it no justice, but gives you an idea. ;-)

file.jpg

The stone you are showing is a bit too included for my taste, and I can't tell if it's saturated enough.

BTW, here's another Russian demantoid garnet from the same museum collection. As you can probably tell, the gem is no match for color with the ring above. It was lackluster and quite olive. Not all Russian material is high quality, but I thought it would be good to compare. It does have wonderful clarity though, and the stone you posted has very poor clarity.

file.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's also another gorgeous stone, and what I would consider purchasing if I had the $$$$$$$$. I don't know if this stone is Russian or African, or other, but it's absolutely gorgeous to me.

Another thing to note, demantoids can color shift in some lighting, and go more olive or yellowish, so always check it out in multiple sources of light before purchasing.

7500133852_1ae9f0fd11_1_.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1423029894|3827050 said:
Here's also another gorgeous stone, and what I would consider purchasing if I had the $$$$$$$$. I don't know if this stone is Russian or African, or other, but it's absolutely gorgeous to me.

Another thing to note, demantoids can color shift in some lighting, and go more olive or yellowish, so always check it out in multiple sources of light before purchasing.

I am quite sure this is a namibian ( top quality) - I have seen several similar stones in gemshows ( german high end vendor) from 2-5 ct.

They are gorgous with a tiny little blue hint.

The russian demantoid ring is very pretty - I have a 0,19 ct round with such a color and fortunately NO horsetail ( I don't like them!!).

Only a diagnostic fiber. Russian, italian, iranian and demantoid from a new source from Pakistan can have horsetaillike inclusions.
Namibian and Madasgascar material not.

BTW Canada has some beautiful colors.

http://alpinegems.ca/CatalogueGems/demantoid-Asbest-QUE.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1423037956|3827076 said:

I am quite sure this is a namibian ( top quality) - I have seen several similar stones in gemshows ( german high end vendor) from 2-5 ct.

The russian demantoid ring is very pretty - I have a 0,19 ct round with such a color and fortunately NO horsetail ( I don't like them!!).

Only a diagnostic fiber. Russian, italian, iranian and demantoid from a new source from Pakistan can have horsetaillike inclusions.

I'll take that Namibian one I posted over most of what I see coming out of Russia any day. It's absolutely gorgeous. I try not to get too hung up on location with gemstones though. I enjoy what is beautiful regardless of the location.

Some of the Canadian ones have decent color, but all are way too included for my taste. Thank for sharing the link.

S

SparkliesLuver

TL said:

Wow, TL. Just wow. :love: :lickout:

That's all I can say/do at the moment. :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1423057256|3827149 said:
TL said:

Wow, TL. Just wow. :love: :lickout:

That's all I can say/do at the moment. :lol:

Believe it or not, the Russian demantoid in the ring photo I posted above, was even more beautiful. However, my photography at the time, and lack of a decent camera, failed the poor thing. It just took my breath away. It was a neon chrome green, and I have a hard time explaining that, unless you can see it in person.

The nice thing about Namibian stones is that they're often clean, and very crystal. They offer a lot of fire and brilliance when cut well, although they're notorious color shifters. I have several melee stones and they look like tiny green diamonds. I plan on setting them one day with a neon orange fire opal.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the Wilds demantoid shouts Namibian origin but I don't mind it at all with the superb colouration and cut.

You might be able to find a few Russian demantoids here and there but most are not chrome green, are fairly small and have clarity issues. The horsetail should not be eye visible but only visible under 10x loupe. The demantoid you posted is too included for me. As always, colour first, then size, clarity, cut and etc. Horsetails are no longer indicative of Russian origin as they are also found in demantoids from other locations.

demantoid_4.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
I think demantoids really are hard to judge by pictures. The one I got I really liked the picture of, but it's absolutely impossible to really capture the glow and the things they do with light in a photo. And I've never been able to take a "good" picture of it.

The first one posted in the thread I find really interesting, despite the heavy inclusions, but I'd want to see it in person to see what it does, though. I think if I was able to afford a large Russian demantoid like that I would probably look for something a little cleaner, even though I'm fascinated by inclusions in general. They just perform so well and are so beautiful I'd want something really stunning.

I think the picture here comes close to capturing the glow they can have:

https://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/dome-rings/art-deco-russian-demantoid-ring/id-j_164124/

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1423055450|3827133 said:
Marlow|1423037956|3827076 said:

I'll take that Namibian one I posted over most of what I see coming out of Russia any day. It's absolutely gorgeous. I try not to get too hung up on location with gemstones though. I enjoy what is beautiful regardless of the location.

Some of the Canadian ones have decent color, but all are way too included for my taste. Thank for sharing the link.

Yes - it is funny that you see larger top quality like rhe stone you posted but no similar 1 ct rounds - I try to buy one for years.

They are very special - the smaller stones are nice but not thrilling.

Fine is iranian material if it is not to dark....

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I just want to say how nice it is to have Marlow here. He brings a different perspective, may I say European, and we get to hear things such as Iranian demantoid. I know many of you know these things, but i don't, and so wish to say that I appreciate him here.

TL, we also take you for granted, so I wish to express how lucky we are to have such knowledgeable people here. I very much like demantoids as well. Mine are from Madagascar, and while they don't look like Russian are still quite nice.

I have a son who lives with me. I try to explain gems to him, particularly about the ones I own. One nite as I was watching JTV, he came downstairs and stopped abruptly in front of the TV. I said, "What are you doing, move?". He answered, "Hey they are showing demantoids, I need to see what is going on.". I laughed. He must have been paying attention. He knows demantoids.

Annette

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a Russian pair that also shows the glow. I remember a PSer was interested in them at some point but then said they looked less saturated in the video he/she got from the vendor (Wilds Global Minerals)

__kgrhqjhjdgfg8yjfvygbry-virjmq__60_12.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the kind words Annette. I agree that there are so many valuable and knowledgeable people on this board.

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your posts. There is a shortage of information about what does and does not constitute a valuable demantoid. It helps to hear from enthusiasts such as yourselves. Many of the vendors use the horsetail theory as a marketing tool. They do not explain what is most desirable.

I love that ring from the museum. The colour of those stones is amazing! :$$): :mrgreen:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Three iranian demantoid from 0,18 ct - 0,47 ct

From the left 3 russian demantoid from 0,19 - 1,23 ct and the three iranian demantoid.

The small russian round is similar in color like the stone in the middle of the Palagems picture Chrono posted. My camera can not picture the real color :(

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
image_3642.jpg

We found the one!

My now fiancé proposed yesterday with this 3.34ct Russian demantoid garnet and diamond ring. It is truly breathtaking!

Apologies for my poor photography.

The stone was sourced by our jeweller who attended the HK gem show in March. It has the most beautiful horsetail inclusion.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ring, congratulations!

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Kimberley|1435474856|3895587 said:
image_3642.jpg

We found the one!

My now fiancé proposed yesterday with this 3.34ct Russian demantoid garnet and diamond ring. It is truly breathtaking!

The stone was sourced by our jeweller who attended the HK gem show in March. It has the most beautiful horsetail inclusion.

Oh wow! I loooove the demantoid and the chunky (I think double) halo looks great! Do you know what the demantoid measures?

And congrats of course on your engagement (almost forgot :razz: )

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
That's a gorgeous demantoid ring, congratulations on your engagement!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberley|1435474856|3895587 said:
image_3642.jpg

We found the one!

Gorgeous! Is there a thread somewhere with more pics?? We need more pics!! :naughty:

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'll try to take some good photos to post :D

Kimberley

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I can't stop looking at it :)

The demantoid measures 8.23 x 9.08 x 5.77mm. The colour is mesmerizing, and the horsetail, which can't be seen under normal household lighting, is beautiful in the sunlight.

I only just managed to fit the ring on my finger as we have a baby due in 3 weeks, and my fingers are therefore bigger than usual. Not sure how I'll get it off but will post more photos when I do. ;-)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimberley|1435537783|3896020 said:

bravo! It is beautiful - good color and size. I can only imagine that it is 100 times nicer in real life! :) congratulations on your engagement too :appl:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Kimberley|1435536888|3896010 said:
Thanks! I can't stop looking at it :)

The demantoid measures 8.23 x 9.08 x 5.77mm. The colour is mesmerizing, and the horsetail, which can't be seen under normal household lighting, is beautiful in the sunlight.

I only just managed to fit the ring on my finger as we have a baby due in 3 weeks, and my fingers are therefore bigger than usual. Not sure how I'll get it off but will post more photos when I do. ;-)

That is a GORGEOUS demantoid! Wow!! And congrats on your upcoming baby, what an exciting time for you :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! Thanks for posting the extra pics.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your beautiful new demantoid ring. :appl:

S

SparkliesLuver

What a beauty! :love: Double congratulations! :D I second the idea of a thread that includes lots more pictures, including different angles. :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results