color
clarity

Supreme Court ruling makes same sex marriage a right for all

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nationwide!!!!!

It's about time!!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Re-Starting this thread as a celebration because that is what this is. Please only participate if you want to join in the celebration.
Let's not derail it with the forbidden religious talk please.

Common sense prevails finally and equal rights for all. Let's hope it is a real beginning for the USA towards equal rights for everyone.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Supreme Court ruling makes same sex marriage a right for

Yay!!!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :wavey: :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW! Absolutely astonishing. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I never thought I'd live to see this day.
I cannot express how much this means to me ... I mean at the deepest psychological level.

In my lifetime I've gone from being rejected and unwanted and a shame to my father to being declared equal in this important way. :appl:

I'll bet the suicide rate of gay teens (and adults) will plummet, and the mental health of gays will rise from the gutter.
SHAME on all who have harmed us so. :nono:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

YAY!!! It's as much of a landmark as desegregation and giving women the vote.

:appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have felt such a crazy mix of happiness (at the long overdue ruling) and anger at those who are "omgsosad" and throwing tantrums. Lots of emotions to sort through. Staying off facebook helps! :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Times change, and nay-sayers will have to adapt.
The stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth will subside as the world continues to turn.
I am happy for all my gay friends!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1435510428|3895757 said:
I have felt such a crazy mix of happiness (at the long overdue ruling) and anger at those who are "omgsosad" and throwing tantrums. Lots of emotions to sort through. Staying off facebook helps! :lol:

You are not alone Elliott!!!! guess the part I really don't understand is how on earth this will impact the "Omgsosad" people. When it comes right down to it ... It won't change their life one bit and help enrich a gay couple's beyond words. It just doesn't make sense to me. Love is love!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As I have written on Pricescope before, I have recently had the privilege of teaching a citizenship class to immigrants who are studying to become United States citizens. I had prepared a lesson for Saturday, June 20, about the struggle for rights, taken from recommended lessons offered by the USCIS website, featuring Susan B. Anthony and the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

When I got to the center to teach my class two momentous occasions had just occurred: there had been a funeral the day before for the Reverend Clementa Pinkney who, along with 8 other African-American members of his church had been murdered at a prayer meeting. Reverend Pinckney's eulogy had been given by the African-American President of the United States who had broken into a solo rendition of, "Amazing Grace" as he spoke. The grace shown in the face of the racist murders had brought down the Confederate battle flag from all over the South. It had come off the shelves of Amazon, Walmart, and Sears. It was coming off the license plates of the states which has still retained it or vestiges of it. The governor of South Carolina had called for the flag to come down from the grounds of the state house of South Carolina, too.

The other momentous piece of news was that The Supreme Court had ruled that same sex couples had equality under the law with heterosexual couples. Same-sex marriage became legal in all of the United States. The Supreme Court had taken the stand that the Constitution could interpret a liberty was and interpret what a freedoms was in one time even if that act had not been considered a necessary liberty or freedom in another era.

John G. Roberts disliked this view. He said that the Constitution had nothing to say about same-sex marriage. But five of the nine members of the court said that our Founding Fathers meant the Constitution to be flexible and to guarantee rights to people in eras to come, eras they could not foresee. So, in their wisdom, our Founding Fathers gave us the ability to expand our horizons.

Like the other posters, I celebrate the expansion of civil rights. Our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters will no longer be deprived of basic civil rights! God bless America!

AGBF

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

?? What happened to my thread?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

madelise|1435515501|3895797 said:

It was removed

Ella|1435514941|3895794 said:
The other thread was removed for the entire page that was about religious wrangling. We do not allow it nor the type of degrading comments that were made by some users.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1435512551|3895777 said:
The Supreme Court had taken the stand that the Constitution could interpret a liberty was and interpret what a freedoms was in one time even if that act had not been considered a necessary liberty or freedom in another era.

John G. Roberts disliked this view. He said that the Constitution had nothing to say about same-sex marriage. But five of the nine members of the court said that our Founding Fathers meant the Constitution to be flexible and to guarantee rights to people in eras to come, eras they could not foresee. So, in their wisdom, our Founding Fathers gave us the ability to expand our horizons.

I thought a lot about this throughout the day yesterday as I listened to attorneys' views about the silence of the Constitution on the issue of same sex marriage and that individual states should have the authority to make this decision. Then I went back and read the Constitution and a synopsis of its amendments. Amendments 13, 15, 19 extends rights to all citizens that they would not normally have if each state had its way. It seems our history shows that when it comes to treating all people equally, we need an amendment to make it happen across the nation. And Amendment 9 protects rights not enumerated in the Constitution which to me is the catchall that allows decisions such as same sex marriage to remain within the intent of the Constitution. Perhaps my logic is faulty, but based on what the Constitution and its amendments show, I don't see how the dissenting Justices are correct in their interpretation. Our Founding Fathers indeed gave us the ability to expand our horizons and lucky for us they had the forethought to do so.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Madelise :wavey:

Most of the thread disappeared overnight. It was still intact last last night and gone this morning when I checked. My guess is it was due to comments regarding religion and possibly politics. Again, this is just a guess on my part. Perhaps Ella can clarify for you. I hope you are hapving a good day!

Callie

ETA...religion was the reason for the removal.

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

madelise|1435515501|3895797 said:

Calliecakes is right. We were just about to email you. There was an entire page fighting about religion, which is not appropriate on PS and violates our rules.

You all are welcome to celebrate here, please keep religion OUT of the discussion.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Calliecake|1435512393|3895775 said:
... guess the part I really don't understand is how on earth this will impact the "Omgsosad" people. When it comes right down to it ... It won't change their life one bit and help enrich a gay couple's beyond words. It just doesn't make sense to me. Love is love!

I am truly happy for LGBT community, that they received the recognition they were overdue.

I think a few people tried to answer your question in the other thread, myself included, and it had nothing to do with "gay couples hurting me", and my opinion wasn't about religion.

Unfortunately, you probably won't get an honest answer because people with differing viewpoints were silenced by the thread starter, which is an interesting approach while preaching tolerance and acceptance. :roll:

And with that, I am done with the topic entirely. Carry on! :wavey:

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I felt relief at the Court's ruling. It is justice delayed but still needed.

Without protection under the law, there can be no enforcement.

I was worried on this ruling, so glad it came through.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Re-posting what I said before:

Finally! The common sense realization that marriage is for all people who want it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

JoCoJenn|1435517078|3895812 said:
Unfortunately, you probably won't get an honest answer because people with differing viewpoints were silenced by the thread starter, which is an interesting approach while preaching tolerance and acceptance. :roll:
And with that, I am done with the topic entirely. Carry on! :wavey:

Philosopher John Rawls concludes in A Theory of Justice that a just society must tolerate the intolerant, for otherwise, the society would then itself be intolerant, and thus unjust. However, Rawls also insists, like Popper, that society has a reasonable right of self-preservation that supersedes the principle of tolerance: "While an intolerant sect does not itself have title to complain of intolerance, its freedom should be restricted only when the tolerant sincerely and with reason believe that their own security and that of the institutions of liberty are in danger."[

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Now gay folks get to be as miserable as straight folks. :lol:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1435524162|3895883 said:

:D

I was thinking about this, Kenny.

I suspect there are a lot of partners looking at each other like this :???: this weekend and wondering who's going to bring up that marriage thing first.

So are you going to marry your SO, Kenny? Might as well get personal . . . :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

We've been together for 13 years but I doubt we'd ever marry.
... old dog, and all.

But it makes all the difference in the world to know it's possible now. :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

kenny|1435525216|3895898 said:
We've been together for 13 years but I doubt we'd ever marry.
... old dog, and all.

But it makes all the difference in the world to know it's possible now.
:appl:

I just smiled a big grin at this Kenny.

:praise:

I'm so happy for you. Congratulations. :)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

ahahahhaa so true! :lol:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

missy|1435499900|3895673 said:
Nationwide!!!!!

Re-Starting this thread as a celebration because that is what this is. Please only participate if you want to join in the celebration.

Common sense prevails finally and equal rights for all. Let's hope it is a real beginning for the USA towards equal rights for everyone.

Thank you,, Missy!

The Supreme Court ruled that there is no significant justification for excluding gays and lesbians from the right to marry according to the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the 14th Amendment.

I'm grateful that you started this thread for people who want to celebrate.

This is not the time, now, or the place, this thread, for people to debate, disagree, argue, or talk about their private religious views.

Gays and lesbians have a Constitutional right to marry and to lead their lives in public like everyone else.

This is an historic occasion in the history of the United States.

I have waited almost 47 years for my right to marry to be recognized under the Constitution.

I think that after waiting almost 47 years, I should be able celebrate.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Imdanny|1435545224|3896078 said:
Nationwide!!!!!

Thank you,, Missy!

The Supreme Court ruled that there is no significant justification for excluding gays and lesbians from the right to marry according to the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the 14th Amendment.

This is not the time, now, or the place, this thread, for people to debate, disagree, argue, or talk about their private religious views.

Gays and lesbians have a Constitutional right to marry and to lead their lives in public like everyone else.

I have waited almost 47 years for my right to marry to be recognized under the Constitution.

I think so too my friend!

It's good to hear from you Danny. I'm happy for you!

katharath

Ideal_Rock

It is absolutely worth celebrating; I'm so happy that our country has finally done the right thing. I am honestly shocked that the first celebration thread on this topic got shut down, because I can't fathom anyone thinking that marriage equality - basic human rights, as far as I'm concerned - is a bad thing, or the "wrong" thing, or whatever.

This is truly a momentous occasion!! Congrats to America :)

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Imdanny|1435545224|3896078 said:
Nationwide!!!!!

Thank you,, Missy!

I think you deserve to celebrate too Danny. I'm just sorry you had to wait so many years!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Marriage is an institution. Who wants to be in an institution? :lol:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Junebug, thank you my friend! It's good to see you again. :wavey:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock