shape
carat
color
clarity

Favourite flowers?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Random fluff question, after I spent too long looking at pictures of flowers. What is your favourite flower? For your garden, as a bouquet, print or whatever. Pictures are more than welcome.

I love orchids for their shapes and colours. I love all sweet smelling flowers, like lilies and magnolias.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I hadn't seen monarda/bee balm before. I love the shapes and colours. Big bonus if bees like them and I imagine they are sweet smelling as well.

Daisies are my mother's favourite flowers (along with pansies) so they are pretty nostalgic for me.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilies!!! I love lilies. I can't have them because of my cat and I think that makes me love them even more. No photos to share, I don't get them often and only when they won't endanger the cat such as when we rent a cottage for a weekend holiday.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Peonies and garden roses are my favorite because they are just so romantic looking and beautiful.

For gardening, I love my Asian lilies -- They look amazing and come back every year despite the frost and my brown thumb's best efforts.

For everyday, I like cut hydrangeas in the home, because they are really easy to arrange and seem to last a decent amount of time.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like tropical flowers that we have flown over to CA from Maui.

Got these for Valentines Day:

Got these for my Birthday in May:

Picked this Hibiscus from the garden last week. They are huge 6 - 7 inches in diameter:

valentines_0.jpg

birthday_flowers.jpg

_31592.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ranunculus.

screen_shot_2015-06-27_at_7.png

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
Light color (pale pink or white) peonies are #1 for me but their season is so short. My second fave is the Lisianthus in white - pic below from a bunch I threw together for my window at work.

_31593.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freesias are a nice flower...they smell incredible.

If someone could find a way to make peonies bloom longer they'd be a rich rich person. I've been looking everywhere for a dang yellow peony and they're crazy hard to find w/out spending a lot. I'll have to just suck it up and fork it over I guess.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435459830|3895507 said:
Freesias are a nice flower...they smell incredible.

+1 ... especially the yellow ones.
I also love the haunting fragrance of night-blooming jasmine ... though the flowers aren't much to look at.

screen_shot_2015-06-27_at_0.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lilacs. Their fragrance makes me giddy.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435457256|3895486 said:
Monarda's pretty darn neat. We've got a super tall bright fuschia kind and then a shorter pinky purple. There's a more lavender color that we're going to add.

Gaillardia/blanket flower is nice too. https://www.google.com/search?q=monarda&biw=1600&bih=900&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-FKPVZWIMcb6ggTw4ICoBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=gaillardia+blanket+flower
I had the lavender Monarda at my old house. It smelled like Earl Grey Tea. I think it might have even been called Bergamot..

I loved that plant. Super invasive, but I liked it for that reason because it filled in the holes of the bed.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1435460283|3895511 said:

Oh mercy! How could I forget lilacs! I could just stand in them and smell them all day. Mmmmm to have a hammock in the middle of them would be lovely.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tulips but unfortunately they don't grow well over here. I went to the Floriade festival in Zoetermeer in the Netherlands in 1992 as a primary school student and fell in love! I also find the cultural history of tulips fascinating (tulip fever and all that).

I also like osthmanthus, sakura and ume blossom. Lemon and citrus blossoms are also very nice.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Oh Gosh there are so many. I keep white and blush pink roses, I am a sucker for roses. I love growing lavender. It's pretty and smells good. I keep bee balm, which has a cool violet colored bloom, and the bees love it. I like ornamental sages, we keep purple ones. Again, they are a bee attractor. Pentas are another I like.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1435461444|3895516 said:
Monarda's pretty darn neat. We've got a super tall bright fuschia kind and then a shorter pinky purple. There's a more lavender color that we're going to add.

Gaillardia/blanket flower is nice too. https://www.google.com/search?q=monarda&biw=1600&bih=900&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=-FKPVZWIMcb6ggTw4ICoBw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=gaillardia+blanket+flower
I had the lavender Monarda at my old house. It smelled like Earl Grey Tea. I think it might have even been called Bergamot..

I loved that plant. Super invasive, but I liked it for that reason because it filled in the holes of the bed.

Yeah, we started w/three of the fuchsia and now we've got like..70. I don't throw away the cuttings when I deadhead, I just drop them, so we've got them coming up like gangbusters now. We have some awesome ground cover-four colors that are all sort of similar in the greenery-lavender, yellow, pink and white-the lavender has been the only color that would bloom for us-but this year finally the other three bloomed-I don't know what it's called but man is it pretty. Popping up all over the place now too-in the cracks of the walkways, and randomly in different beds that we didn't actually plant it in.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been obsessed with antique roses and their look-alikes for a couple of years now. When grown on their own roots, they are actually very hardy. They aren't as fussy as the hybrids and they smell SO GOOD!!! Just a few examples.. rhode_island_red.jpg
raubritter.jpg
souvenir_de_la_malmaison.jpg

I love white peonies and white lisianthus for bouquets.

Dahlias will always be a favorite. There are so many varieties and how can you not like a flower that grows a big as your head? :lol:
dinner.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double petunias, peach roses, cosmos and iris.

Paz

Rough_Rock
packrat|1435461496|3895517 said:
Matata|1435460283|3895511 said:

Oh mercy! How could I forget lilacs! I could just stand in them and smell them all day. Mmmmm to have a hammock in the middle of them would be lovely.

A hammock in a bunch of lilac bushes? Heaven :love:

Lilacs, daffodils, hyacinth, crocus, tulips... I love all of the spring flowers. Sadly, they don't grow so well in FL.

I'm a Maine girl at heart, so wild beach roses, apple blossoms, peonies, and lupines are my summer favorites.

Down here, I have learned to love the scent of the jasmine that grows outside my window and the magnolia tree that blooms in our backyard. ::)

daffodils_and_hyacinth-1600x1200.jpg

1337196527roses.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435461741|3895524 said:
House Cat|1435461444|3895516 said:

Yeah, we started w/three of the fuchsia and now we've got like..70. I don't throw away the cuttings when I deadhead, I just drop them, so we've got them coming up like gangbusters now. We have some awesome ground cover-four colors that are all sort of similar in the greenery-lavender, yellow, pink and white-the lavender has been the only color that would bloom for us-but this year finally the other three bloomed-I don't know what it's called but man is it pretty. Popping up all over the place now too-in the cracks of the walkways, and randomly in different beds that we didn't actually plant it in.
Monarda is such a beautiful plant when it takes hold!!! I love it. We have been so hot and droughty now that I haven't been able to get it to grow. I tried for two years and then gave up. I am hoping that maybe I will have a semi-shaded place at my new house so that I can plant the red variety.

The drought has made things really difficult lately. The soil has changed. It is dusty. Adding compost and mulching isn't fixing it. So, xeriscaping is the only option (maybe) then on to...SUCCULENTS? Sigh. I love echinaceas and rudbeckias, butterfly bushes, lavenders, sages, etc. But it might actually come to a point in time when they are even too thirsty.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah, you know it's tough when even the drought tolerant things are struggling.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like roses and peonies. Basically anything that looks kind of fluffy. I have been considering growing roses because there are a lot of roses that do pretty well in our neighborhood - but I am the opposite of a green thumb with plants and kill everything I look at.

Texas is having the opposite of a drought this year - we have a mimosa tree that has never bloomed before that is going nuts this year. I didn't even know it COULD make flowers and had always ignored it as a weird shrub, but then one day this year it had floofy pink things all over it and seemed to have doubled in height!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow roses, or any yellow flowers including weeds such as buttercups.

DK :))

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dk168|1435478019|3895593 said:
Yellow roses, or any yellow flowers including weeds such as buttercups.

DK :))

I love the teeny tiny weed flowers. So small and so perfect.

This thread has me hankering for a garden, even though I have the blackest thumb imaginable (I think I killed my mint, that is how bad it is!).

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
House Cat|1435462377|3895527 said:
I have been obsessed with antique roses and their look-alikes for a couple of years now. When grown on their own roots, they are actually very hardy. They aren't as fussy as the hybrids and they smell SO GOOD!!! Just a few examples.. rhode_island_red.jpg
raubritter.jpg
souvenir_de_la_malmaison.jpg

Your antique roses are gorgeous. I admit I had only heard of the concept of heritage roses, now I have to research some.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I love all. Two of my favourites are gerberas and orchids.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just planted a burgundy heritage rose yesterday and am looking forward to fragrant blooms. I love flowers, especially those with a light scent and have too many favourites! :bigsmile: Peony, paperwhite narcissus, blue iris, all variety of orchids, callas, big bloom roses, and Japanese roses all come to mind.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have these in my garden, they're called Blue Butterflies, they're a tropical. I love the way they look like their name. Nurseries haven't carried them for about 5 years because of frosts, but I managed to keep mine going. This year they're back for sale and I bought 2 more. They bloom May through November, and are very easy to grow.

For florist plants, I'm a sucker for Iris, which we can't grow here at all.

8625.jpg

url.jpg

_31701.jpg

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1435505115|3895708 said:
House Cat|1435462377|3895527 said:
I have been obsessed with antique roses and their look-alikes for a couple of years now. When grown on their own roots, they are actually very hardy. They aren't as fussy as the hybrids and they smell SO GOOD!!! Just a few examples..
Your antique roses are gorgeous. I admit I had only heard of the concept of heritage roses, now I have to research some.
These aren't my photos. :bigsmile: All of my roses are dormant from the heat.

If you find a rose you love, I recommend that you go to the antique rose forum and ask them if it will be compatible for your gardening zone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results