shape
carat
color
clarity

How Do You Get Used To a Big Ring?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So I finally have my dream ring (see avatar) after all these years. But I can't seem to get used to it. It's been months now, and I live in paranoid fear of wearing it all the time. I can't do it. I carry it around in it's box, wear it for a few minutes while sitting down, then replace it in it's box. I'm afraid I'll knock it into something and chip it. :shock:

I've seen some ginormous rings around here, do you all really wear them all day long?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is insured, then wear it with the peace of mind that the insurance company will replace it if it is badly damaged. Minor nicks are par for the course over time.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Oh, iLander, you're ring is certainly gorgeous, so I can see why you are afraid to damage it! I suppose it's possible that you might never get used to it. Maybe you could start wearing it more frequently for longer periods of time (each time) and see if that helps you? When I first got my colored diamond eternity bands, I lost a pave stone (a pink diamond) fairly early on. I had two jewelers assure me that it was normal and not in any way a reflection of poor craftsmanship. I had the stone replaced, but then I was afraid to wear it. Since I had other diamond wedding bands, I started out by only wearing the colored diamond bands if I was going out, going somewhere special, etc. Then I started wearing them a bit more frequently during the week. Now, I feel almost completely comfortable wearing them daily, although I still sometimes rotate in my other diamond bands. Please try to enjoy your ring - it is meant to be worn & loved and I hope that you can learn to appreciate it on your finger as opposed to it tucked safely away in a box =)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never did, lol. I know it's sacriligeous around here, but I am most comfortable just wearing bands. :)

Your ring is gorgeous iLander!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1435160836|3893529 said:
I never did, lol. I know it's sacriligeous around here, but I am most comfortable just wearing bands. :)

Not to me. Often times, I do not wear any rings at all, preferring to have it sit on my laptop so that I can admire it as I work/type.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh ILander, Your ring is too beautiful to be sitting in a box! Sadly I know what you are talking about. I still have not gotten used to my halo ring and I've had it for close to 2 years now. I think my problem is it's just so blingy. I feel it's in your face blingy if that makes any sense. What did your other engagement ring look like? Please forgive me, with all the rings here I can't for the life of me remember.
I also have a large pear that is set with a baquette on either side and I am comfortable wearing that riing anywhere. It sounds like you just need to get used to it. I would try wearing it a lot for a couple days. Maybe that will help???

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I just love the pear shape - your ring is gorgeous!
(just looked up the intro shots/post.)

Even if you only wore it on Friday nights unwinding w/ family it would be beautiful to have. :love:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435161179|3893530 said:

Not to me. Often times, I do not wear any rings at all, preferring to have it sit on my laptop so that I can admire it as I work/type.

Hehe. I totally relate Chrono!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1435159849|3893518 said:
If it is insured, then wear it with the peace of mind that the insurance company will replace it if it is badly damaged. Minor nicks are par for the course over time.

This. When my ring (in my avatar) was still new and I was figuring out insurance, I was nervous to wear it. But as soon as I had it insured, all anxiety and fear went away. I really do wear it all day long! There may be a few days per month where I wear just a plain band or my 5 stone instead, but 98% of the time I wear my giant ring.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:

I admit. The fact that I've insured it makes me less worried.
I just tell myself that the expense wasn't worth it if I am not enjoying it. (I mentally amortize everything. LOL!)

Maybe it's like Callie said. It's the sheer blinginess of it. I don't wear my Tiffany soleste much cause it is THAT blingy. Wearing it a little more every week?
Calliecake said:
Oh ILander, Your ring is too beautiful to be sitting in a box! Sadly I know what you are talking about. I still have not gotten used to my halo ring and I've had it for close to 2 years now. I think my problem is it's just so blingy. I feel it's in your face blingy if that makes any sense. What did your other engagement ring look like? Please forgive me, with all the rings here I can't for the life of me remember.
I also have a large pear that is set with a baquette on either side and I am comfortable wearing that riing anywhere. It sounds like you just need to get used to it. I would try wearing it a lot for a couple days. Maybe that will help???

Or maybe when you get to a certain age... I never wore anything before I turned 40. Sorry, I'm probably no help. :|

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander|1435159432|3893515 said:
So I finally have my dream ring (see avatar) after all these years. But I can't seem to get used to it. It's been months now, and I live in paranoid fear of wearing it all the time. I can't do it. I carry it around in it's box, wear it for a few minutes while sitting down, then replace it in it's box. I'm afraid I'll knock it into something and chip it. :shock:

I've seen some ginormous rings around here, do you all really wear them all day long?
I have a tiny ring by comparison and I am the same way. I have no advice for you.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wear that size pear every day but in a different setting. Halos, for me, take the ring into special occasion territory. Would resetting change how you feel about wearing the ring more often?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry, you're not going to want to hear my solution for this. I think it has everything to do with how I was raised, that we were frugal with most things. The result is that even now if I have insurance on things, the thought of damaging them goes way beyond the insurance replacement, almost to how could I hurt my baby? status. So my solution, iLander, has been to make my babies smaller. :(sad I am thrilled with my newer, smaller stoned rings and while I bang my hands around as much as I did before, the likelihood is that the odds are on my side with a smaller stone. This answer probably won't work for you though.

OR try this:

Wrap your ring/stone in wads of toilet paper and/or cotton and tell people to trust you that what is underneath is truly gorgeous. ;))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux|1435168831|3893627 said:

Sorry, you're not going to want to hear my solution for this. I think it has everything to do with how I was raised, that we were frugal with most things. The result is that even now if I have insurance on things, the thought of damaging them goes way beyond the insurance replacement, almost to how could I hurt my baby? status. So my solution, iLander, has been to make my babies smaller. :(sad I am thrilled with my newer, smaller stoned rings and while I bang my hands around as much as I did before, the likelihood is that the odds are on my side with a smaller stone. This answer probably won't work for you though.

OR try this:

Wrap your ring/stone in wads of toilet paper and/or cotton and tell people to trust you that what is underneath is truly gorgeous. ;))

This! This is the answer! I will tell them it is big and PINK! :appl:

:bigsmile:

Honestly, that is exactly how I feel. And you're right, I think I would have a stroke if I damaged it. :o

iLander

Ideal_Rock
baby monster|1435167777|3893610 said:
I would wear that size pear every day but in a different setting. Halos, for me, take the ring into special occasion territory. Would resetting change how you feel about wearing the ring more often?

To me, all rings should be haloed :cheeky: , so that's not an issue for me. I'm used to giant halos on my colored stones, I think of this one as just a baby halo. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1435165200|3893573 said:
Or maybe when you get to a certain age... I never wore anything before I turned 40. Sorry, I'm probably no help. :|

Lol, I'm definitely of a certain age, so the bling is not a big issue for me. I need it to distract from the wrinkly hand! :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1435161652|3893532 said:

Does the pointy little tip of the pear bother you at all?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks perfect on your finger in that avatar pic!

I am the same way with ALL my jewelry. They all start off as "my precious..." (in Gollum's voice)... lolol... First I start wearing them to family get togethers, or dinner at a restaurant. Then I ease into wearing jewelry to an hour mall trip. It's really just becoming "desensitized" over time. I guess like all things you get used to them over time.

Like the new house - man was it so big and awesome when we first bought it. We now have three toilets. And a housekeeper that comes every other week. I flipped out the first time DH decided to use another toilet other than the master bathroom toilet... just because he felt like doing it. I mean, I installed BRAND new seats on them - soft close ones just in case kitties are around. I wasn't even using the master bathroom toilet so it wasn't like a potty conflict.
Me: WHY did you use the guest toilet?
DH: "I dunno... isn't the housekeeper coming anyways?"
I've relaxed a little now. A little... It's only been a month in the new place, so ...

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had your gorgeous ring, I'd just wear it everyday. Halo or no halo, I'd just enjoy it.
That's what it is there for.

My pear e-ring does not have a halo, but I wear my jewelry everyday. The only time I take them off is if I'm swinging a sledgehammer around, doing heavy yard work with pick axes or shovels, or undergoing a craniotomy at the hospital. The very first thing I did when I got home was to put all of my jewelry back on.

You have a stunning ring, wear it and enjoy it (that is what insurance is for).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's insured and meant to be worn and enjoyed! Mine's not overly huge, well, maybe for my location it is, but not by PS standards. I don't wear it all the time-I don't have it on now. But usually when I go out of the house I put it on. Sometimes I'm only leaving for 10 minutes and still put it on. My original e-ring diamond was a chip about .05ct, and I had really nice sized colored stones I wore before I finally ended up w/my AVC's, so maybe that helped me get more used to big mm's on my ring finger. I'd either wear it more often to get used to it, or I'd go smaller to something I was more comfortable wearing often.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Insurance is the thing that makes me okay with it. Otherwise, I would feel the same. Plus, I try not to think about how much money I have invested in it. You might have to just keep talking yourself into enjoying it. It sure is a beauty. I could enjoy it for you, I think......

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1435169706|3893639 said:
Calliecake|1435161652|3893532 said:

Does the pointy little tip of the pear bother you at all?

It doesn't bother me at all. I love the ring and don't really worry about it. I thought I would be panicky wearing a larger stone. DDS set in right away so that issue vanished! I think your pear is gorgeous!

AshBee

Rough_Rock
I don't know if mine could be considered huge, especially when I see two or three carats going around, but my ring (avatar) is up high so I tend to snag it on my sleeves and things like that.

I eventually got used to it, it is very sturdy, and the tiny diamonds/band are insured so I take that in for repair to keep that insurance current. I still need to put the actual diamond on homeowner's insurance, so sometimes that can make me nervous. But I'm always staring at my ring, so I find it unlikely it will slip away without me noticing. :razz:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1435161179|3893530 said:

I have a ring stand on a shelf above my computers and that's where my rings live. I only wear my jewelry when I'm going out/seeing people. If I'm doing anything more than standing around and talking, wearing jewelry annoys me. I sure do like to look at it though!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got used to my OEC solitaire with no problem whatsoever and immediately it felt perfect for me. I don't know the measurement of your pear ring but it looks perfect on you and my advice is to wear and enjoy it and get over any feelings you have that it is too delicate or big to wear. It is insured and that is why it is insured. So you can enjoy it! Otherwise what's the point? If you really cannot wear and enjoy it reset or change it for something you will love and enjoy. I know I sure would enjoy the heck out of your ring though. :love: :bigsmile:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1435229218|3894010 said:
I got used to my OEC solitaire with no problem whatsoever and immediately it felt perfect for me. I don't know the measurement of your pear ring but it looks perfect on you and my advice is to wear and enjoy it and get over any feelings you have that it is too delicate or big to wear. It is insured and that is why it is insured. So you can enjoy it! Otherwise what's the point? If you really cannot wear and enjoy it reset or change it for something you will love and enjoy. I know I sure would enjoy the heck out of your ring though. :love: :bigsmile:

yes to everything you said, Missy : )
My favorite place to wear mine [not quite as large lol] is the grocery store and Lowe's hardware...the lighting is great for diamonds...go for it! and enjoy.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I could get used to wearing a diamond bigger that what I currently own.
I hardly even wear my own ring and I couldnt imagine getting something even bigger. I'm afraid to damage it or the setting and it is insured! There aren't that many diamonds with the specs I have and I can't even fathom spending more money for a larger diamond that I won't wear. I guess I am sentimental and can't imagine replacing it. So I just don't wear it as often.

I even got a moissanite ring to see if I could get used to a larger size (when I had delusional thoughts about upgrading) and that sits in my room unworn.

I think there are sizes that everyone is comfortable with and the diamond I have is just right.

Now I have other less valuable engagement type rings that are not insured and I wear them all the time. Go figure!

I guess I'm no help! I'm in the same boat.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have learned am very sensitive to size and also how "high up" the stone is set.
There could be 3 issues, a) that it just feels to big for you, b) that you are afraid of damaging it, or c) it just seems like "too much" (gasp!).
a) can be troubleshooted/possibly solved by wearing a less expensive but larger ring to see if it desensitizes you to the size. Wear the bigger ring for awhile, then put on the pear, see if it feels more "right".
b) well insurance helps a little but not for everything. It may be the only real solution for this is to get a lower set setting with not so much pave, to feel like you don't have to constantly baby it every second.
c) Basically if it feels too ostentatious, I'm not really sure what the solution is. It could be another situation where de-sensitization helps, but really I would rather change my jewelry than change my personality. You should wear jewelry that fits you. Sometimes a piece can be really beautiful, but just not you. It's a subjective experience, so I can't advise you.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the nice comments and advice. :wavey:

I'm not sure there's anything for it, I have zero faith in insurance companies. Not sure if they would even cover a tiny chip which is enough to break my heart.

It does sit very low, part gypsy, so that's something.

I do wear it when I go out, and reading this over in SMTB [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-take-off-your-ring-s-when-you-get-home.214018/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-take-off-your-ring-s-when-you-get-home.214018/[/URL] also helped. Turns out a lot of rings don't get worn 24/7.

At everyone's urging, I have been wearing it more the last couple of days, so I am getting used to it a little.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The ring I'm wearing right now is humongous and I used to be so worried wearing any diamond ring at all, same as you, banging into things. Even with a piece being insured, it was a mental hurdle after decades of wearing nothing on my fingers at all.

But this time around I decided I'm just gonna wear it all the damn time, and I do. I wear it all day, every day. I sleep in it. I only take it off to shower and do my hair/makeup to keep it clean, and of course for yardwork and stuff. But day to day stuff? It stays on.

You just kind of have to decide to do it and then, over time, you'll realize that the diamond is way more resilient than you think. It's not a delicate piece of glass and regular wear and tear won't damage it.

Congrats on having your dream ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results