shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame said:
CJ2008|1434937612|3892432 said:
Ame and House Cat:

When you say you use Olaplex - do you mean you bought it somewhere and then bring it to your colorist to use? Or you mean you found a colorist/salon who offers Olaplex?

Also - about how much of an upcharge is there to use Olaplex?
My colorist offers it in her salon. She uses it in every color formula, and doesn't upcharge it, really. I think she raised her prices in January because she's booked so far out due to demand so she kind of builds it in now. Olaplex is only sold to professionals working in salons and professionals in salons add it to their formulas. To get it, there are TONS of hoops for pros to jump through to prove they are licensed etc. It's also got a waitlist a mile long. The place I used to go did upcharge $15 to do Olaplex. I left there for a lot of reasons and that just added insult to injury.

Step 3 is sold in most salons that offer Olaplex services, but not all of them carry the Step 3.
House Cat said:
CJ2008|1434937612|3892432 said:
Ame and House Cat:

When you say you use Olaplex - do you mean you bought it somewhere and then bring it to your colorist to use? Or you mean you found a colorist/salon who offers Olaplex?

Also - about how much of an upcharge is there to use Olaplex?
I have a hairdresser that uses Olaplex. You need to find a salon or hairdresser that uses it. I don't pay an upcharge but I have heard that others do.

Thanks guys - I'll ask if my salon is using it. I have a feeling if they are, they will definitely upcharge for it... :sick:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LAJennifer|1434992000|3892654 said:
You can get Olaplex on ebay, but it isn't cheap.
And likely isn't real.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
I love Josie Maran Argan Oil products. Her cleansing oil and body creams are a must for me. I am a WEN girl! I love how silky and healthy my hair is with these products. And I wear only Bare Escentuals foundation and make up.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
ame|1435024732|3892879 said:
LAJennifer|1434992000|3892654 said:
You can get Olaplex on ebay, but it isn't cheap.
And likely isn't real.

Well it isn't exactly like buying fake MAC makeup. It is more likely that it is sold by stylists looking to make a profit. I've been buying my professional hair color on ebay for years (Redken Shades EQ, Framesi, Matrix SoColor). You can also get Olaplex on Amazon. Just throwing it out there.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It is like buying fake MAC makeup (or at least it very well could be). It's risky buying any beauty products on Ebay and/or Amazon because there's no guarantee that it's authentic. There would be no way to tell if it was authentic Olaplex being sold by a stylist trying to make a profit or if it was a knock-off product with an inflated price tag. I love EBay & Amazon, but there are jut certain things I won't risk buying.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Clarisonic - OMG I can't believe I went all these years without one. It has positively solved my acne problem. I have tried for decades, and now with the Clarisonic I have stopped ALL of my breakout products. No more benzoyl peroxide or AHA creams or any of it - and my skin is clear. Not one new blemish and all the old stuff is clearing out and my skin looks great. I use it in the morning and at night, after removing my makeup first, followed by nothing but moisturizer.

This is the bundle I have and I like the cleanser a lot, but you can use any cleanser with it:
http://www.clarisonic.com/shop-our-products/clarisonic-acne-clarifying-collection-3605970785574.html?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=3605970785574

I also love these two moisturizers by Ole Henricksen -

Day:
http://www.sephora.com/sheer-transformation-P42342?skuId=958611

Night:
http://www.sephora.com/nurture-me-P42335?skuId=958595

And last but not least, I have started using this under a light application of Bare Minerals, and it's awesome.
http://www.sephora.com/complexion-rescue-tinted-hydrating-gel-cream-P393356?skuId=1687912

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1435081624|3893118 said:
It is like buying fake MAC makeup (or at least it very well could be). It's risky buying any beauty products on Ebay and/or Amazon because there's no guarantee that it's authentic. There would be no way to tell if it was authentic Olaplex being sold by a stylist trying to make a profit or if it was a knock-off product with an inflated price tag. I love EBay & Amazon, but there are jut certain things I won't risk buying.
THIS...

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1435089744|3893173 said:
THIS...

Yes, I agree with this too...

I love Amazon but I don't trust that some things are authentic, especially beauty products. The one time I purchased a sunscreen via them, the top/opening smelled of alcohol (made me think the tube was refilled. I put my nose to it by chance, really...but I think something told me the tube looked a little off from what I was used to, since I had ordered it directly from the company before). Never again after that.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1435090798|3893183 said:
ame|1435089744|3893173 said:
THIS...

Yes, I agree with this too...

I love Amazon but I don't trust that some things are authentic, especially beauty products. The one time I purchased a sunscreen via them, the top/opening smelled of alcohol (made me think the tube was refilled. I put my nose to it by chance, really...but I think something told me the tube looked a little off from what I was used to, since I had ordered it directly from the company before). Never again after that.
Yea I am not an Amazon or Ebay person. I risked it with the Sunblock I like and I am still uneasy about that. But I know the packaging and I know it's authentic bec of that.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I just had a Davines Nou Nou pak put on my hair last week to deep condition it and decided to buy some from the salon because I loved it so much!

Does anyone have a good shine stopper/preventer they can recommend, other than the little shine-free paper that you pat on your face? My T-zone gets very shiny and I have yet to find something that keeps it matte looking all day.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1435100406|3893235 said:
Does anyone have a good shine stopper/preventer they can recommend, other than the little shine-free paper that you pat on your face? My T-zone gets very shiny and I have yet to find something that keeps it matte looking all day.

Milk of magnesia. I've used it and it works (just use very sparingly). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6P5hOwnwUk&feature=youtu.be&a

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd love to revisit foundations again. I absolutely can NOT find the perfect one. I'm too oily, a weird shade of pale, acne, dark spots, acne scars. It's terrible. I wish places like Sephora/Ulta, or even the brand's themselves, would offer several samples of different shades and formulations to try. I would *gladly* pay for a bunch of samples. We live an hour away from the closest Sephora/Ulta, and last time I got a sample she gave me exactly enough to do maybe 1/4 of my face, and that was w/digging it out of the container w/a brush. It's frustrating and time consuming to order and return over and over.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435112900|3893323 said:
I'd love to revisit foundations again. I absolutely can NOT find the perfect one. I'm too oily, a weird shade of pale, acne, dark spots, acne scars. It's terrible. I wish places like Sephora/Ulta, or even the brand's themselves, would offer several samples of different shades and formulations to try. I would *gladly* pay for a bunch of samples. We live an hour away from the closest Sephora/Ulta, and last time I got a sample she gave me exactly enough to do maybe 1/4 of my face, and that was w/digging it out of the container w/a brush. It's frustrating and time consuming to order and return over and over.

packrat I know this is not samples, which would be ideal...but what I notice lately is a lot of places saying "color guarantee" - like Drugstore.com - of course you'd have to lay out the full price for several products...but might be one way to get back into trying some brands.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1435115088|3893335 said:

packrat I know this is not samples, which would be ideal...but what I notice lately is a lot of places saying "color guarantee" - like Drugstore.com - of course you'd have to lay out the full price for several products...but might be one way to get back into trying some brands.

I'll have to look into that, thank you!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure Packrat! :wavey:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Huh, my Sephora is pretty generous with samples. Maybe it depends on the exact one. Alas, since I am pale enough to not have my color stocked in stores, I had to order and return a bunch anyway, and ended up liking something I only can get online. Go figure. Nordstrom is also pretty good with samples - do you have one near you?

I know this seems counterintuitive but have you tried any oil-based foundations or ones that advertise themselves for dry skin? I find that they are less patchy on me when I get oily.

Also, http://www.temptalia.com/foundation-matrix

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the makeup products I currently never switch out for anything else in their category:

Foundation: Face Atelier Ultra Foundation - https://www.faceatelier.com/product/ultra-foundation/ - I have hated literally every single other foundation I tried. This goes on easily, stays on, doesn't feel heavy, doesn't look "made up," and doesn't cause my skin to break out. Plus, with the mixing shades I can easily get the appropriate match.

Blush: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush - http://www.sephora.com/ambient-lighting-blush-P384963?skuId=1581339 - I looooove these. They look so radiant and they actually last all day on me. Usually blushes fade pretty quickly and since I'm so super pale I need blush so I don't look sickly.

Brows: Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel - http://www.sephora.com/tinted-brow-gel-P187202?skuId=998872 - This is the only product that touches my eyebrows.

Finishing Powder: Guerlain Meteorites - http://www.sephora.com/meteorites-powder-for-the-face-P266308?skuId=1578277

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
It might've just been the person doing it too. I was color matched back in October (can't find the stupid paper now of course), and she gave me a sample of the lotion she put on me, and it was a good amount in the little container. But a different person helped me this last time.."helped" I should say, she didn't really talk or answer anything.

I've not thought to do that, use oil based foundation. I've always been so worried about how I break out and adding to that.

ETA: what does a finishing powder do?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1435118950|3893357 said:
I've not thought to do that, use oil based foundation. I've always been so worried about how I break out and adding to that.

Most oil-based foundations use mineral oil, which shouldn't ever clog pores, unless you have a petroleum allergy. The other oils can be more problematic depending on your particular skin. Like a lot of people love jojoba oil and coconut oil but they break me out like crazy, but I can slather passionfruit seed oil on 24/7 with no issues.

Finishing powder is a powder, usually pretty sheer, that you put over the rest of your makeup or at least your foundation, which often has minorly light-reflecting properties to add an additional amount of "perfection" and to help give whatever type of finish you want (matte, natural/skinfinish, dewy/reflective, whatever), and to set the other layers of makeup so they last longer and don't migrate places. My favorites are the Guerlain Meteorites and Make Up For Ever Microfinish HD Powder (loose or pressed, I have both - it's a matte finish whereas the Guerlain is more natural looking). If you want to try something similar out, there are a lot of drugstore powders that are reasonable dupes for the MUFE, though not as finely milled so they go on thicker/whiter if I try to apply them the same way I would the MUFE - I know NYX and ELF both have HD powders that are similar and I've bought them and used them up though I strongly prefer the MUFE. I use either a kabuki brush or a heavy fan brush to apply, and for both I like the Ecotools brushes best. The HD finishing powders are really the only makeup touchup I ever do throughout the day - a dab on my t-zone to mattify the oily spots and I'm good. I also like putting them over water-resistant sunscreens to stop the shine - since they're transparent and so lightweight they don't get cakey or anything.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am also a weird shade of pale, and finding a match is nearly impossible. If it's light enough it's pink. I need a nice olive shade. My closest match was Laura Mercier Oil Free in Porcelain Ivory but the formula sucks. So I mixed it into a Lancome that was pale but really pink. It's not really a close match but it stays on. A good match is the It Cosmetics CC in Fair. It's not quite olive enough but it works bec it's sheer. Senna works well too but that isn't available in stores that I've found, I had to order. I rarely wear foundation, usually concealer around my eyes and pressed translucent powder to set it and just dust all over.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
packrat|1435118950|3893357 said:
It might've just been the person doing it too. I was color matched back in October (can't find the stupid paper now of course), and she gave me a sample of the lotion she put on me, and it was a good amount in the little container. But a different person helped me this last time.."helped" I should say, she didn't really talk or answer anything.

Typically, Sephora is very generous with samples. I'd go back in and find an associate who seems knowledgable of foundations and/or your specific skin concerns. Then I would ask them to match you again and tell them that you'd like to try several samples in an effort to find the right brand. Also, Sephora has an amazing return policy, so if you ended up buying one, you can try it for a little while and still end up returning/exchanging it for something else. I almost never buy drugstore makeup any more simply for that reason alone. I'm always trying new product and I end up returning a fair amount of it because it's just not right for me, etc.
I don't wear foundation very often, but when I do, I have a few go-to favorites. I love Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua (Ultra-light Skin Perfecting with SPF15). You shake it up before each use and it's very smooth & silky - not heavy at all. I have also used the BareMinerals BareSkin, but I have found that it is a little too heavy for me. I read rave reviews, year after year, for the Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, so I purchased a bottle even though it's pricey. It's fine, but not worth it for me. I still prefer the Chanel over it, which is pricey too.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1435118509|3893355 said:
These are the makeup products I currently never switch out for anything else in their category:

Foundation: Face Atelier Ultra Foundation - https://www.faceatelier.com/product/ultra-foundation/ - I have hated literally every single other foundation I tried. This goes on easily, stays on, doesn't feel heavy, doesn't look "made up," and doesn't cause my skin to break out. Plus, with the mixing shades I can easily get the appropriate match.

Blush: Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush - http://www.sephora.com/ambient-lighting-blush-P384963?skuId=1581339 - I looooove these. They look so radiant and they actually last all day on me. Usually blushes fade pretty quickly and since I'm so super pale I need blush so I don't look sickly.

Brows: Anastasia Tinted Brow Gel - http://www.sephora.com/tinted-brow-gel-P187202?skuId=998872 - This is the only product that touches my eyebrows.

Finishing Powder: Guerlain Meteorites - http://www.sephora.com/meteorites-powder-for-the-face-P266308?skuId=1578277

I was just shopping Sephora online and put an Hourglass blush in my cart, but have yet to make the purchase. That blush gets such great reviews! I'm still debating about which shade to get - which colors do you have? I'm fair skin/blue eyes, but I typically like a nice "pop" of natural-looking color. I like coral colors in the summer time, so I put the "Incandescent Electra" color in my cart because it is described as a cool peach.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1435123018|3893380 said:
Most oil-based foundations use mineral oil, which shouldn't ever clog pores, unless you have a petroleum allergy. The other oils can be more problematic depending on your particular skin. Like a lot of people love jojoba oil and coconut oil but they break me out like crazy, but I can slather passionfruit seed oil on 24/7 with no issues.

Distracts - as I'm getting older my skin becomes more and more dry...I am curious about trying an oil-based foundation (ETA BTW I often use Jojoba Oil on its own as a moisturizer - and I don't think Mineral or Coconut Oils break me out or cause me any problems, either). Which brands do you recommend?

And are there any foundations that are oil based, but finish matte or semi matte (or is that impossible?) - I don't mind a little dewy but too much makes me look greasy (too matte isn't good either though actually, especially now, makes me look older).

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock

This. I recently got a sample of it, and it worked so well that I'm ordering a full size. It's great!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
star sparkle|1435164472|3893564 said:

This. I recently got a sample of it, and it worked so well that I'm ordering a full size. It's great!

Thanks! I just ordered 5 samples for $2! Great deal! :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1435164676|3893567 said:
star sparkle|1435164472|3893564 said:

Thanks! I just ordered 5 samples for $2! Great deal! :appl:

I'm totally getting samples too! I have an oil blocker thing (OMG can you tell I know NOTHING about makeup??) from Murad, but I noticed the other day when I used it, it didn't work as well. I think b/c I'm not on any birth control at all now, my hormones are starting to normalize and my oil glands are getting back to the way they used to be-sadly.

I'll try that meteorites finishing powder too. I had the MUFE powder and then I got a Tarte version and it makes me sort of white-ish so I look like a ghosty version. I have a Jane Iredale HD powder that is supposed to be translucent but looks funny on me so I don't really use it much anymore.

I used Jane Iredale powder foundation for several years but sometimes powder just looks..well, powdery I guess, and I started to feel like my skin is getting too "old" for it. Being 40 and starting to get wrinkles--plus having the acne/cysts of a teenager, plus having the dark spots and acne scars of someone who's had acne for 30 years holy Hannah is it atrocious trying to find make up!!

I ordered the Estee Lauder Double Wear a couple months ago and the color was off, so I returned it and got a different shade, which was ok, but the foundation itself didn't work. It made me break out, all these teeny tiny little red pimples everywhere, and it was hard to apply I felt-dried really fast.

I got an Almay kind at Target, Smart Shade, which is ok, but not "it". I like the UD Naked skin foundation, it's pretty close but since it's so incredibly sheer, I still don't look like I have decent skin.

I'll hit Sephora again next time we go-I'll tell JD we need to plan extra time so I can spend some time there.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Yay, hope you both love it! I also use the PC Barely There Sheer Matte Tint with SPF 30 and it's great, too. You can also get a sample pack of that with all the different colors so you can color match yourself. I've always used a powder foundation because liquids just make me too oily/greasy, but this one is actually wearable for me. I do still use it underneath my powder foundation (since that doesn't have SPF), but it's so much better than any other liquid I've ever tried on my face.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, I've got that one up in another window to order too!

Does anyone use the BB or CC creams? I can't figure out what the difference is really, they sound like the same thing but different names? I thought I could use a CC and then put foundation over it? Maybe that would help hide the yucky of my skin?

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
My understanding is that a BB cream is essentially just a tinted moisturizer. I don't think CC cream is really all that different, it's just marketed under a different name. CC creams might provide a bit heavier coverage than a BB cream, maybe like between a BB cream and actual foundation.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good heavens you 'bout need to go to school to figure out what's what and what you need for your face.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results