clarity

Picking a setting for my Spinel

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the first setting that I'm thinking of. I prefer settings than let the stone be the focus of the ring. I am open to other options and am looking at getting the setting from Stuller.

This setting has many prongs which may make the stone mm size look larger. I like the details on the shank.

stuller_multi_prong_7138_47715_p.jpg

Here it is from the side. Does this look like it will let in enough light?

stuller_multi_prong__side_view_7138_47715_p.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An air line/gap halo, the centre stone can be prong set:

173pp18__1_.jpg

Looking forward to see the finished ring, and thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the other Stuller setting I'm thinking of. It is very simple and I don't know that it would do anything to increase the size look of the stone. But I like simple. :think:

From the side. It looks like it would let in a ton of light.

stuller_4_detailed_prongs_side_view_71681_1994_p.jpg

The only top down view had a square stone in it. So just use this for the look of the prongs.

stuller_4_detailed_prongs_top_view__71681_1994_p.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1434924628|3892360 said:
An air line/gap halo, the centre stone can be prong set:

173pp18__1_.jpg

Looking forward to see the finished ring, and thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

Thanks. I ruled out Bezel settings because I want as much light as possible to get to the stone. I see this is a halo that's prong set...makes me wonder if it would work.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be worried about the solitaire settings you've chosen. They very rare make a stone look bigger and I'd be worried that you wouldn't be pleased with the end result.

How about tension setting it with a piece of metal over the top and bottom. That would give width to the ring and allow maximum light. Hang on, let me see if I can find an image of what I mean ..............

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like this

cross_over_tension_setting.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD |1434928889|3892384 said:
Like this

Thanks LD. So very modern. And I admit I'm scared of tension settings. I will go check some out though.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first setting that I liked for this stone was a bezel. After advice from PSers I decided it would block the light going to the stone too much for a Color Change stone. Then I tried to go custom but was told my stone was too small for the desired setting. Today I've gotten suggestions for a Halo with Prongs and Modern Tension. I'm a bit vintage/traditional so the Modern Tension is scary but I will search some out. I don't like the current trend of putting diamonds on every flat surface of a setting. GASP So I searched and found a Halo with Prongs without diamonds. I know it might go against current fashion, but what do you all think?

Side view, will this allow enough light to reach the stone?
stuller_prong_set_bead_halo_side_view__71673_306_p.jpg

Top view. Prong setting with a beaded halo.
stuller_prong_set_bead_halo__71673_306_p.jpg

View with a blue stone set in it.
stuller_prong_set_bead_halo_w_stone__71673_306_p.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More photos of the stone that I plan to set in White Gold. I think Platinum would bring out the grey that all Spinels are said to have in them. My stone changes from a light denim blue to a darker blue and can be almost purple on an overcast day.

Shaded sunlight
shspinelshaded.jpg

Indoors with artificial light and sunlight from a window.
shspinelsparkle.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Play around with the main 3 metal colours (rose, yellow and white) to see which effect you like best. The prong setting you like still looks very enclosed due to the design of the basket.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
agingsparkle I do really like those settings!

Chrono thanks I do need to check out Yellow Gold and Rose Gold =)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Stone Hunter :wavey:

If you are seeing the color shift while it is in the box, or on your hand, I'm not sure you would need to worry about the pavilion being enclosed in a setting. After all, the pavilion is completely covered when it's in the box or on your hand, but you're still getting the colors, yes? But I do think a bezel would cover up the girdle and the crown a bit too much.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1435197720|3893871 said:
Stone Hunter :wavey:

If you are seeing the color shift while it is in the box, or on your hand, I'm not sure you would need to worry about the pavilion being enclosed in a setting. After all, the pavilion is completely covered when it's in the box or on your hand, but you're still getting the colors, yes? But I do think a bezel would cover up the girdle and the crown a bit too much.

Ah GREAT point! :D

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Opinions please!

I've had two jewelers refuse to set this stone because of the "natural" on the bezel. Makes the setting risky. I've found a new jeweler that says they can set it, even though it is risky. I am now thinking of this setting Stuller 122177 shown with a Tanzanite in it. Should I ask them to set it lower than these photos show?

Stuller 122177 w Tanz.jpg

side view
Stuller 122177 w Tanz side view.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about a natural inclusion in the stone?

GORGEOUS stone by the way!

I like it higher but I tend to like all my stones higher. Provided you don't drop it or wear it heaps I don't think it needs to sit lower. I really like the latest setting you posted! I think diamonds can only help things, rarely do they ever hinder!

I do think the halo will help make it look bigger. I have an 8mm peridot and that looks *just* big enough as a solitaire.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mellowyellowgirl

The inclusion is natural but on the girdle. So there is worry about pressure while setting.

I plan to wear it often since Spinel is relatively hard and I wouldn’t think about the setting height if it didn’t have this “natural.”

While setting it poses a risk I think it’s better than letting it sit in a box. So I will cross my fingers and hope all goes well. If it breaks this is a calibrated setting and I will seek out another stone for it. :cry2:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More photos of the stone that I plan to set in White Gold. I think Platinum would bring out the grey that all Spinels are said to have in them. My stone changes from a light denim blue to a darker blue and can be almost purple on an overcast day.

Shaded sunlight
shspinelshaded.jpg

Indoors with artificial light and sunlight forom a window.
shspinelsparkle.jpg
This is an old thread that has been revived, but I just wanted to say that there's really no difference in how the stone will look in white gold vs. platinum. The same amount of gray will appear. If you want it to look the most lavender, set it in rose gold. Good luck with the setting. I would opt for a four prong ring to incur less damage than a bezel.

Here's a 6mm spinel with a halo as well as side stones. It makes the stone appear larger than the 6mm spinel above it in a non halo I think.
IMG_7815.jpg

Last edited:

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter, have you considered a belcher ring setting? If you do a google image search there's multitude versions and ring shank thicknesses. I'm familiar with this ring setting because it was my high school ring along with a jostens stone ring.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an old thread that has been revived, but I just wanted to say that there's really no difference in how the stone will look in white gold vs. platinum. The same amount of gray will appear. If you want it to look the most lavender, set it in rose gold. Good luck with the setting. I would opt for a four prong ring to incur less damage than a bezel.

Here's a 6mm spinel with a halo as well as side stones. It makes the stone appear larger than the 6mm spinel above it in a non halo I think.
IMG_7815.jpg

Thanks! That comparison makes it very clear. I won't be doing Rose Gold as it looks bad with my skin tone. So white it will be. Bezel is totally out because of the stone's issues. I was thinking that 4 PRONGS would be safer during setting that 6 PRONGS but I will check with the jeweler on that one. I have no experience on that.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone Hunter, have you considered a belcher ring setting? If you do a google image search there's multitude versions and ring shank thicknesses. I'm familiar with this ring setting because it was my high school ring along with a jostens stone ring.

I am familiar with the belcher setting! I haven't thought of that for this stone because I already have several vintage rings. But now that you've pointed it out the stone would sit lower in a belcher setting.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't set this stone yet. As I stated above, two different jewelers refused to set it because of the natural on the girdle. So there is some risk involved.

I am debating about whether to go for it, or set a different stone and be confident that there will be a wearable ring at the end of the process. That's indecision for you :roll

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results