shape
carat
color
clarity

Advice on cleaning pearls please.

Millypink

Rough_Rock
I have lusted over all of your gorgeous pearls for so long, and have a very modest collection of my own, which I love and cherish, but have never posted. Tonight I finally used the Paradise Pearls cleaning wipe & cloth which I received with my earrings many years ago, and was very happy with the results. I never thought to clean my pearls, and now that I have no more magic wipes left, I would love to know your secrets for keeping your pearls looking their best please.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
The easiest trick -- pearls go on last. After all the lotions have dried a little, the perfumes have evaporated a little, and I'm finished applying makeup and hair products. Simply, last on, first off. And, if I think they need it, I wipe them down with a damp microfiber cloth.

I don't usually wear pearls when the weather is hot and sticky.

I've never used those PP cloths. I have quite a few, maybe I should open one. :D

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can order extra cloths from PP with any order. But I wipe mine down after each wear with just the microfiber cloth. If you want to dampen it, I'd recommend using distiller water as tap water has chlorine and Florine in it (although the quantities are low, I worry about them damaging the pearls over time). There's also The Pearl Doctor cleaning product. I've never tried it but I've been curious about it.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see anywhere online the Pearl Doctor is being sold any more. It was an expensive product and most people just use their own cleaning methods which work fine.

Millypink

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I knew about avoiding lotions & cosmetics, but will give them a wipe with a microfibre cloth after each wear.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with cmd about chemicals in our water, but I usually dampen my cloth when I wipe my pearls because I worry the dry cloth is too scratchy. Pearls do scratch easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results