shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: Which is the AGS Ideal?

Which of the 3 diamonds do you think make AGS Ideal "0"?

• Diamond 1 (#13366)

Votes: 25 37.3%
  • Diamond 2 (#13367)

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Diamond 3 (#13369)

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Both 1 & 2

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Both 1 & 3

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Both 2 & 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • None of the above

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pfunk|1434460391|3889833 said:
Yssie|1434401723|3889575 said:
pfunk|1434398636|3889557 said:
I guess I am still not completely understanding the weight ratio thing so if someone could help me out a little. What it sounds like to me is that AGS uses a standard tolk proportioned model with a set girdle thickness to determine what the diameter of an ideal diamond SHOULD be based upon its carat weight. What I don't get is what they mean by a 5% spread factor. Does that mean that the actual diameter needs to simply be within 5% of the "ideal" diameter? If so, does that mean either 5% larger OR 5% smaller than predicted is ok, or does that mean 2.5% on either side of what is "ideal"? Maybe you can use stone #1 as example? What was its carat weight (sorry if you already mentioned it)?

What is the "ideal" size for a 1 carat (6.47 mm I think?), 1.5 carat, and 2 carat stone based on the AGS tolk model stone?

http://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/ags-ideal-cut-diamond
Spread: For rounds the DiamCalc factor should must be within + or -5% about 6.35 to 6.6mm for a 1.00ct stone. Princess spread factors should not be worse than -25, or about 5.3mm square.

The numbers aren't making sense to me. If the 1.00 carat tolk normalized stone has a diameter of 6.47 mm, 5% of that diameter would be 0.324 mm. That would leave the +/-5% range at 6.15 to 6.79 mm which is a much larger range than 6.35 to 6.6mm. That's what is confusing me.

It's not a direct percentage of diameter - it's a +/- of carat weight as calculated by DC for a given diameter, "normalised" to a Tolk type "ideal" in terms of proportions. That was a muddy mouthful... Here's a summary:

Awesome Stone 1 has table T_Tolk, crown C_Tolk, pavilion P_Tolk, culet Cu_Tolk, Girdle G_Tolk, other important proportions O_Tolk, and diameter D = 6.47mm. This stone is the standard for comparison.

Not Awesome (steep/deep) Stone 2 has table T', crown C', pavilion P', culet Cu', Girdle G', other important proportions O', and diameter D'.
Imagine a hypothetical Awesome Stone 3 that had table T_Tolk, crown C_Tolk, pavilion P_Tolk, culet Cu_Tolk, Girdle G_Tolk, other important proportions O_Tolk, and diameter D'; this stone would weigh X.
Now, how much less than X does Not Awesome Stone 2 weigh? That's the difference we're interested in.

Here's an article from AGSL that illustrates this:
http://www.agslab.com/members/content/docs/Complete_Explanation_of_AGS_Cut_System.pdf (pg49)

agsl.jpg
agsl2.png

Garry's patent also introduces details of spread: https://www.google.com/patents/US20020052170

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yssie! That is making much more sense now.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries!

Just realised I mixed up the stone order and introduced a double-negative - but you took the point ::) I definitely recommend looking through that AGSL presentation if you have time, it does a fantastic job of distilling concepts into easily-digestible bites :))

I came into this thread too late to play but I'd have guessed #1 too - interesting outcome, thank you for sharing Jon!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No prob Yssie and thanks for sharing those links. Very helpful in understanding AGS. :read:

Kindest regards,
Jonathan

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
pfunk|1434398636|3889557 said:
I guess I am still not completely understanding the weight ratio thing so if someone could help me out a little. What it sounds like to me is that AGS uses a standard tolk proportioned model with a set girdle thickness to determine what the diameter of an ideal diamond SHOULD be based upon its carat weight. What I don't get is what they mean by a 5% spread factor. Does that mean that the actual diameter needs to simply be within 5% of the "ideal" diameter? If so, does that mean either 5% larger OR 5% smaller than predicted is ok, or does that mean 2.5% on either side of what is "ideal"? Maybe you can use stone #1 as example? What was its carat weight (sorry if you already mentioned it)?

What is the "ideal" size for a 1 carat (6.47 mm I think?), 1.5 carat, and 2 carat stone based on the AGS tolk model stone?
P,
I believe it is a slightly different approach. The AGS system looks at the footprint (diameter in rounds) and matches it to a target weight calculated by their model. If the weight is greater by 5% or more, it receives a weight ratio deduction.

1.50 ct matches up to approximately 7.29 mm. Therefore if a 7.29mm stone weighs 1.575ct or more it would receive a deduction.
2.00 ct matches up to approximately 8.02 mm. Therefore if a 8.02mm stone weighs 2.10 ct or more it would receive a deduction.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks Bryan. Yssie was kind enough to help me along as I tried to figure out the process AGS uses. Much clearer now thanks to both of your help.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
How interesting! I voted both 1 and 2.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results