Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Option 2 (2.7ct)

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Option 3 (2.5ct)

Votes: 10 41.7%

• Total voters

Hazarrd

Rough_Rock
I'd like to hear your preference between the following three stones for an engagement ring. Assume that all other variables not mentioned are equal (but if you think other variables, even though similar between the three stones, impact your decision, please say so and I'll respond).

The trade-off with each option is carat v. color. I love the idea of a 3ct diamond, but as many times as I've compared H, I, and J stones in person, I can't seem to reach a conclusion.

Option #1:
3ct RB
J
SI1 (eye clean)
HCA < 2

Option #2
2.7ct RB
I
SI1 (eye clean)
HCA < 2

Option #3:
2.5ct RB
H
SI1 (eye clean)
HCA < 2

All three are XXX with 85%+ light retention under IS. Hearts arrows are good, but not magnificent by any standard.
Assume that all three are priced the same.

The stone will be put in a four-prong solitaire setting on a platinum band with shared-prong eternity diamonds nearly all the way around. Band will be on the thinner side.

The lady is expecting (and will be happy with) anything above 2.5. But I'm trying to blow her away with a 3 without having it backfire because of issues with the color. I also like the idea of getting a 3.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are they well cut?

Hazarrd

Rough_Rock
Yes. All three are XXX with an HCA below 2. 85%+ light retention under IS. Hearts arrows are good, but not magnificent by any standard.

Hazarrd

Rough_Rock
Would also appreciate hearing your thoughts behind your choice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prioritize color over size, but the extent does make a difference. It bugs me to know that I can see it from the side even I don't from top down. Mind clean for color.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea what 85%+ light returns means but it sounds like light leakage regardless, which would concern me. For that size, I would want a pretty darn well cut stone! But since you aren't sharing proportions or images, then I will vote for the I color stone. I owned a J color 2.25ct stone for a week and it was too tinted particularly from the side view for me. I bought a 2.3ct I and was very happy with it. I since then purchased a 3.25ct I and also don't notice tint.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I start seeing color at H so that would be as low as I would go, but prefer G and above even at the expense of size. I would rather have a 1.80 G than a 2.0 H. I also wouldn't go below VS2 for a large stone. It is a very individual preference, most jewelers recommend the safe choice for most people buying a certificate diamond to be G or H and VS2 or SI1.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer G or higher and would go that route rather than size.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would prefer a smaller stone with whiter color. 2.5ct is huge to me, so anything bigger is just gravy. And after owning an I color princess and a J color round, I became more color sensitive over time and can now perceive the warmth in my stone that I did not see before. If I were buying a diamond now, I would look for H and up in a round and G and up in a fancy cut.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I prefer the higher color, smaller size stone but if your SO isn't as color sensitive then option #2 might be a happy medium. Either way I think she will be blown away by the size! :appl:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it depends on the person is she colour sensitive or not? Plenty of people own Js and are happy with them some see very little colour in them at all others all they see is colour. For some people an I is not colourless either.

Next point you can have a High I, a standard I and a low I which really faces like a J anyway and a high J which faces like an I, a J and a low J which is more tinted towards a K. So without seeing the stones in person side by side it's really difficult to tell.

Colour is subjective. What is totally fine for one person will bug the bejeepers out of the next. Lots of ladies care less about colour and would rather have a big 3+ carat stone others cannot stand even a hint of colour and will go much much smaller on the same budget to get something that is visually pleasing to them. So really it doesn't matter what we think, it's what she can and can't live with that counts.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am more concerned about the cut of these stones. I also do not understand the "85% light retention" part. I think you probably mean light return, but I am not too convinced that 85% is good! Do you have idealscope images of the three stones?

If all three stones were great cut stones, then I would choose the H or the I, depending on whether one values higher color or size. I wouldn't want the 3 ct J in a modern round brilliant, and I would also have concerns about SI clarity in a stone that size. For me personally, I'd take an H VS2 that was a great cut at whatever size works with the price point.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1 said:
I think it depends on the person is she colour sensitive or not? Plenty of people own Js and are happy with them some see very little colour in them at all others all they see is colour. For some people an I is not colourless either.

Next point you can have a High I, a standard I and a low I which really faces like a J anyway and a high J which faces like an I, a J and a low J which is more tinted towards a K. So without seeing the stones in person side by side it's really difficult to tell.

Colour is subjective. What is totally fine for one person will bug the bejeepers out of the next. Lots of ladies care less about colour and would rather have a big 3+ carat stone others cannot stand even a hint of colour and will go much much smaller on the same budget to get something that is visually pleasing to them. So really it doesn't matter what we think, it's what she can and can't live with that counts.

+1

Also, how do you know there's 85% light return? Just curious how that was quantified.

Color tends to be more noticeable in larger stones compared to smaller stones. Ie, the tint of a J in a 3 carat is likely more apparent than in a 1 carat.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with arkie... it depends on her color preference/tolerance. I have a 2.43 J, and it's plenty white for me... however, it's set such that the side view is more camouflaged. I don't think I'd like a J in a more open setting. I voted for 2.7 I color, esp if it's a "high I"... but it really doesn't matter what we think -- you need to ask your FF. If that's not ideal, then just make sure to buy from a place with a great return/exchange policy. :))

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all things are equal, I would choose 2.7 I color. That's my personal threshold for tint and, as much as I like 3ct size, the tint would bug me. Here's a pic of my solitaire in I color and studs in H color. I don't see the difference IRL so my vote is for larger I over H.

20150218_2.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1434815005|3891762 said:
If all things are equal, I would choose 2.7 I color. That's my personal threshold for tint and, as much as I like 3ct size, the tint would bug me. Here's a pic of my solitaire in I color and studs in H color. I don't see the difference IRL so my vote is for larger I over H.

THREADJACK: God, your ring is so luxe, baby monster!! UGH!! :love:

...sorry, OP. Carry on...

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the compliment msop04 :wavey:.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the largest diamond go for No 1. For the diamond made out of the best material diamond stone go for No 3. Lots now believe that ideal cutting can let you see the beauty and cover up a lower color which in the past we did not have, although I don't understand that because the old European cuts seem to be lively and were cut years and years ago. Gemologists believe that the natural stones attributes are what counts as well as the cutting which is one of the four c's. Whilst the H SI1 is no D Flawless it is getting nearer to being up there than the J SI1 is. Like every subject and in marketing especially there is a plus and minus or right and wrong for every opinion. Some even think less than ideal, like very good cutting is enough when balanced with the other C's in order to give you more size or better clarity or color for your budget.

This forum is very pro on high cutting to get more size and more beauty. Beauty is not a C ofcourse but then again neither is rarity which a D Flawless would be, and neither is Size, which a D flawless would not have unless a lot of money was spent. It is really up to you to decide and keep in mind what the wearer will See or Think, eyeclean or mindclean, your values of what is important or what you would appreciate more. Friends may see size or color but would you want them all commenting on the size if the color did not meet your values not just in what you can see but what you think. Some don't have the thinking part and only go with what they see whilst others like to know they have the best material and don't care if others know it because they know it themself. I wonder if it is an Introvert and Extrovert thing and most people have a bit of both so it is up to the wearer or couple buying. The other thing is that going for rarity is a lot more expensive and that is why a F VS1 2 carat is thousands more than a J SI1 2 carat, like 40,000 as compared to 15,000 so at the end of the day it all comes down to your money and how you want to spend it or if you have that much you can put in diamonds at the expense of other things in life.

I asked one of the appraisers here once about celebrities engagement rings and since they were like 19 carats would they be lower color and clarity for that size and he said no he thought most were colourless and high clarity. So most can't get a 22 carat D VVS1 so we have to make do.

It is up to you, others choices are not yours. Ring design is different because some posters can help with proportion because they have training or a good eye or more experience but the stone is a very personal choice for its attributes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results