shape
carat
color
clarity

Painite mens ring - am I being too ambitious here?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
G'day my friends!! :wavey:

As some of you may be aware, I am an Aussie boy who has a developing gem obsession and I am currently looking for a blue sapphire to set in a ring for my gorgeous wife (we just celebrated our first wedding anniversary 4 days ago, yay for us!!). I've been looking at various cabochon and faceted Aussie Sapphires for her, but that's a different thread. Rarely do I think about gemstones for myself, I look at them with my wife in mind. If you've followed any of my posts then you may know that I am a Death Metal bass guitarist who loves his fishing - so while I love gemstones, gems and jewelry are not exactly something you will find me adorning myself with. But I have been having the occasional thought and conversation with my wife as to what I would buy and how I might set it. So after some careful consideration as to what I might like in a ring, I have decided that I would most like a Painite.

Most people are probably wondering why I picked Painite. It has a Mohs hardness of 8.5 which would make it good for a ring, but it's not an aesthetically beautiful stone from the samples I have seen, it doesn't seem to be easy to find, is notoriously small and seems to have clarity issues - so let me try explain my fascination with Painite like this:
Once upon a time, every man currently around the age of 40 had a poster of a Lamborghini on his wall when he was a kid, of which 99% were probably the iconic Countach. It represented something unobtainable, something that had a prestige by simply the sheer rarity in comparison to everything else. And then the Lamborghini Gallardo was introduced; a smaller and more budget minded model was released that made the same prestige accessible to more and more people. I am not sure if this makes sense, but in my eyes the discoveries of Painite in the last decade that raised the known speciemen log from a handful of speciemens to an unknown quantity, is the same thing as the Gallardo model of Lamborghini - it allows the regular person to access that cache of rarity (even if finding those sources 10 years ago eliminated that cache of rarity by definition).

Oh and as far as size goes, I'd want something fairly small. 10-50 points

What does the PS collective think of a Painite men's ring? How would you set it? Do you like the idea of setting a stone simply for it's rarity or story? Or does it need to be beautiful for you to want it? I'm open to all thoughts, ideas, suggestions, criticisms - anything at all! Painite is a gem that doesn't seem to get discussed very often which further adds to the allure for me :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Painite was the rarest gem material in the world and every collector dreamed on a stone in his/her collection.

They were very expensive and ugly ( there is a nicer variety with a pinkish red color but still extremely rare). I have none in my collection.
Now you get them quite cheap. Try luckyminerals on ebay ( watcheditems and search for painite. Or google cleopatra and painte.

For a death metal bassist black or dark green thorite or dark green ekanite are interesting - they are a bit radioactive :twisted:
( No, don't use them in jewelery! )

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Marlow, thanks for your reply!! :wavey:

I'm aware of it being much cheaper now which is why I am interested in it, if this was 10+ years ago then I wouldn't even be considering it. I've seen pics of Painites with the pinkish red color and they're beautiful, probably just a bit too bright for a guy like me (unless I set it in a metal that's very dark). I'll still be happy if the stone is opaque and dark - it just has to be a Painite :)
Once I am home I am going to look at the vendors you have recommended to see what they have got.

I always used to joke that my fingers caused nuclear radioactivity from the thunderous bass lines I played, Thorite sounds like something I should be wearing all the time then...maybe I'll set it on the neck of one of my bass guitars :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No comments about your choice other than beware the cheap crap from Asia ie stone that have lots of obvious inclusions can and will frequently break easily when bumped and a lot of cheaper stones coming out of Asia are literally reconstituted crap that has been glued together so just be aware of that when you select anything. You want a nice clean looking solid piece.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Congrats on your first wedding anniversary jordyonbass!

I think there is nothing wrong with purchasing a piece of jewellery because of its rarity or story. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if rarity is beautiful to you then go for it!
Jamie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two Painite stones. Honestly? They're unremarkable looking as Marlow has said. I only bought them for their rarity!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the links Marlow!! I'm actually surprised to see it so cheap. Looks like I might be picking up a stone a little sooner than I thought.

arkieb1, I appreciate the heads-up on that. Do you know what kind of treatments they use on Painite?

Thanks for the kind words aussiejamie, love your work with the sapphires in the other thread!

LD that is exactly why I would be buying it as well. It's the story behind the mineral family I like. I'm not exactly the kinda guy who likes stuff that sparkles hahaha :devil:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
But be careful with Thorite!! :errrr:

Painite - Think they could treat them ( stabilisation). Arkieb1 is right!! I purchased a pargasite from Luckyminerals - no problem.

Burmese Serendibite is cool too!!

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
LD |1434636762|3890845 said:
I have two Painite stones. Honestly? They're unremarkable looking as Marlow has said. I only bought them for their rarity!

LD can we see here your painite collection ?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am also interested in seeing the Painite specimens you have in your collection LD! :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1434684306|3891164 said:
I am also interested in seeing the Painite specimens you have in your collection LD! :)

I've posted them on Pricescope before but am hopeless with the search facility. The problem I have is that I've lost most of my photos due to a laptop breakdown/virus. Hopefully the search brings up the results!

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I searched for the pictures but I couldn't find anything LD, Painite is rarely discussed here so the search results took up about maybe a page and a half. Although knowing what I am like, it's probably in the one thread that I didn't click on because I missed it :lol:

Don't worry about posting pics, I was just wondering what the hue color is in the stones you have? Is it a dark, blackish color or does it have some pink/red in it?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Just googled Painite and I liked the dark pinkish specimens.
You ring idea sounds cool, can you bezel and set it in a widish ring?

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
Have you thought about or looked at natural fancy black diamonds?

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
here is my painite picture for painite lovers, specially for LD :)

dscf7470.jpg

10401374_10203321683140508_1831962169973795915_n.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
acebruin|1434782293|3891650 said:
Have you thought about or looked at natural fancy black diamonds?

Or black spinel (cheaper)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lovinggems, I was really open to suggestion with that. I am not exactly what you would call a jewelry connoisseur as I have mentioned previusly, I am more a fan of stones themselves so I was kind of hoping the PS collective may have an idea on a setting for a young guy like myself, especially if it has to darken up any pink or light colors in the stone.

acebruin and LoversKites, it really has to be a Painite due to my fascination with the mineral itself. I'm not too fussed on colors, darker is preferrably better. I'm kinda stubborn like that :lol:

Thank you for the photos Tariq! Do you have a connection to the Ophir collection?

Tariq wali

Rough_Rock
I used ophir painite picture here for reference, painite and size is matter here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results