shape
carat
color
clarity

Are your favourite gemstones precision cut? (incl poll)

what do you find the single most the important factor in gemstones

• Precision cutting

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • The color

Votes: 24 39.3%
  • It depends: sometimes cut, sometimes color

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • I never compromise: both cut AND color

Votes: 15 24.6%

• Total voters

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1434648609|3890943 said:
LD |1434638040|3890859 said:
TL|1434546456|3890241 said:
The color is first and foremost to me. I rather wear a gem with a huge gaping window and terrible cutting if the color is amazing, then a gem with good to poor color with top notch precision cutting.

For example, I get more compliments on one paraiba I wear with the worst cutting ever, because the color is incredible, even from my jeweler. No one notices how bad it's cut because it looks like it's plugged in. However, if I am going for a precision cut, it better be cut to maximum brilliance and luster. I see lots of precision cut stones that really don't live up to the standards of what precision cutting usually entails. I see some with tables cut along the axis for the best size, but not necessarily the best color, and poor polish, and/or facet meets. If you're paying a premium for precision cutting, make sure the lapidary gets it right, no matter how many accolades he/she may have. It's really something to see a gem with great color AND great precision faceting.

Absolutely +1

If I only bought precision cut gems I'd have missed out on some of the best stunning gemstones I own!

But LD, does this mean you would still consider stones with considerable windows?

Yes, if the stone was of a rare variety. Precision cutting in Alex (for example) is highly unusual, the same with Paraibas. I've got a number of patio doors in my collection!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes, the old patio doors and bay windows...

tourma-guy

Shiny_Rock
Heres a better picture of my two favorites.

Also a good example of a gem that isn't perfect in the quality department but has amazing color and character is this spess garnet of mine (since we were supposed to pick 3 gems :razz: ). Its precision cut, but is heavily included. Without the inclusions though I probably wouldn't be as enamored with it. They just make the stone glow like the inside is on fire. There is also a chip on one side but you can't tell unless you really look for it. The color and performance just completely negate any imperfections.

img_20150619_111356528.jpg

img_20150619_111357940.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want both, color and cut. I don't have the funds to have stones that I like only one or the other. And what I like isn't necessarily what others like, color wise. My chryso is my absolute perfect yellow-but it's not the neon everyone else wants. And that works for me. It's a Barry, so of course perfect.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results