shape
carat
color
clarity

Vitamin D very low

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I hadn't been feeling right for a long time. I had muscle pains, no strength, intestinal issues and tired all the time. Depression was a part of my life and I could not get out of the funk. I had blown off my lab work for over a year and finally emailed my Dr for new lab work. Everything came back OK but my vitamin D that is supposed to be in the 20-79 range came in at 7. I am now on 50,000 units once week for 3 months. I just started yesterday so it may be a while before I see results.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome to the club ;-) I tested at a 7 before. Most people have low vitamin D. You will probably have to take vitamins for a long time.

Medical

Rough_Rock
Will be hoping for good results and improvement! Vitamin D deficiency is an interesting topic, over 40% of the population has it, and it's been linked to tons of various problems- really fascinating.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21310306/

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Be careful. My vitamin D was checked toward the end of January, and was 19. They put me on 4000 units per day, and about two weeks later, before it had time to build up I'm sure, I broke my ankle. Now mind you I rolled the ankle off the edge of a sidewalk in the park, but still... A lady I work with said her level was 17 and they told her she could break a bone at any time. Not trying to alarm you, but do be careful.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I started taking Vitamin D a few months ago and I've never felt better. I've been arm chair doctoring everyone telling them that it's a cure all. I hope it helps you out as much as it did me.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I hope you start to feel better soon!

I can't be tested due to age (not viewed as necessary for those under 50 here), but I am never in the sun so decided to try it. I have colitis and it's supposed to help. No idea if it is, but I have been feeling pretty good lately.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been taking Vitamin D3 supplementation for many years after I read research that it helped certain conditions. The best form to take is actually not the prescription Vitamin D as that is (at least in the USA) in the form of D2 which is not as easily absorbed into our systems. Rather it is best to take it in the Vitamin D3 form which is available online and at drugstores and very inexpensive. I take about 4-6000 IUs a day to keep my blood levels b/w 60-90 usually and that seems to be a good level. I adjust that amount during the warmer weather as I spend more time outdoors and even through sunscreen some sun gets through so I need less D supplementation.

chemgirl, IDK where you are located but most insurances should cover Vit D testing these days.

I hope you are feeling much better very soon Nonmarie!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
missy|1434535438|3890215 said:
I have been taking Vitamin D3 supplementation for many years after I read research that it helped certain conditions. The best form to take is actually not the prescription Vitamin D as that is (at least in the USA) in the form of D2 which is not as easily absorbed into our systems. Rather it is best to take it in the Vitamin D3 form which is available online and at drugstores and very inexpensive. I take about 4-6000 IUs a day to keep my blood levels b/w 60-90 usually and that seems to be a good level. I adjust that amount during the warmer weather as I spend more time outdoors and even through sunscreen some sun gets through so I need less D supplementation.

chemgirl, IDK where you are located but most insurances should cover Vit D testing these days.

I'm in Canada where doctors are very hesitant to order a test if it isn't in the Health Canada guidelines. The testing is covered for certain people, but I'm not one of them.

I love our universal healthcare, but sometimes it can be annoying.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
NonieMarie|1434496723|3890073 said:
I hadn't been feeling right for a long time. I had muscle pains, no strength, intestinal issues and tired all the time. Depression was a part of my life and I could not get out of the funk. I had blown off my lab work for over a year and finally emailed my Dr for new lab work. Everything came back OK but my vitamin D that is supposed to be in the 20-79 range came in at 7. I am now on 50,000 units once week for 3 months. I just started yesterday so it may be a while before I see results.
That's what I take. I have been on that for YEARS. Welcome to the party.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My rheumatologist said my levels didn't even register. He may have been joking slightly, but he put me on the 50,000 units of prescription Vitamin D capsules (per week) indefinitely. To be honest, I didn't notice much if any improvement. Maybe my hair is growing quicker? I had hoped for a bigger impact. I've gone through the same thing with iron deficiency, then magnesium deficiency and now this. I keep trading one for another. :sick:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock

Missy thank you for the info, I'll check it out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1434611776|3890711 said:

Missy thank you for the info, I'll check it out.

You're very welcome NonMarie. I hope it provides the answer for you. It is disappointing that many MDs/pharmacists don't even know that D3 is far superior to D2 and that instead of writing for prescription D2 they should just have their patients take inexpensive OTC D3. Of course check with your doctor about the dosage but if I were you with such low blood levels of D I would start with 10,000 IUs of D3 per day and get checked in 3 months to see how your blood levels have improved. For a short period of time it is perfectly safe especially because your doctor deemed it OK to take 50,000 IUs of prescription D2 3 times a week. You would be much better served with lower doses of D3 daily. Sorry to go on about this but I have done a lot of research almost a decade ago about all of this and I want you to have the best possible chance for healing and recovery.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I buy the Now foods liquid D3 and take that daily, so do my kids. We call it our sunshine, it keeps me happy in the gloomy winter months.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Missy,
My Dr has me taking 50,000 once a week. It seems that it will take me a while to build up my number. I will email her tomorrow and start researching online. I will see if she knows about D3. I'm not counting on her being receptive. I gave her all my symptoms and she did not catch that it was a vitamin D problem. I guess I should have been more open with my sister, especially my depression, she would have known because she had the same issue but thought it was her thyroid medication level. I had forgotten that she had low D levels, poor memory is one of my problems. I will probably take control and see what my results are in 3 months and then tell her.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
lknvrb4|1434621591|3890731 said:
I buy the Now foods liquid D3 and take that daily, so do my kids. We call it our sunshine, it keeps me happy in the gloomy winter months.

In the 90's I moved from CA to Chicago. We arrived in Nov and by March 1st I thought my blues would be over. There was not one day of sun and I'm thinking it is supposed to be spring. That was a really bad month.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy, which brand of D3 do you like?

I was very very low on Vitamin D (Dr. said I was the lowest in his whole practice) and I took D3 for a while but then got lazy and stopped.

The container I have is expired - it's Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol), 5,000 IU by Ortho Molecular Products - so I want to replace it and was wondering if you have a brand you like. I think this brand was expensive, and not sure there's anything special about it.

Lately I've been noticing some mild cramping almost like spasms in my hands which lasts for several seconds - and for a while now I've been complaining about calf cramping too right when I wake up/before I get out of bed. Not sure if it's related to D3, but it got me thinking about my vitamins/health in general.

I started taking B12 again today - another vitamin I was very very low in for a while - was taking it consistently and then got lazy.

Silly to get lazy especially as we get older :/

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're in the US or Canada - and especially if you're fair-skinned, you need to shell whatever they ask and get the test done. Low D level - probably untreated for years - is one of the more important puzzle pieces in the development of multiple sclerosis.

Ladies (mostly, but for the gents too) even if you feel perfectly fine, do yourself the massive favor of attempting to take at least one of the risk factors off the MS table.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1449664892|3959302 said:

I was very very low on Vitamin D (Dr. said I was the lowest in his whole practice) and I took D3 for a while but then got lazy and stopped.

The container I have is expired - it's Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol), 5,000 IU by Ortho Molecular Products - so I want to replace it and was wondering if you have a brand you like. I think this brand was expensive, and not sure there's anything special about it.

Lately I've been noticing some mild cramping almost like spasms in my hands which lasts for several seconds - and for a while now I've been complaining about calf cramping too right when I wake up/before I get out of bed. Not sure if it's related to D3, but it got me thinking about my vitamins/health in general.

I started taking B12 again today - another vitamin I was very very low in for a while - was taking it consistently and then got lazy.

Hi CJ, I use a few different brands and just make sure it is D3. Right now I am using Nature Made D3
http://www.drugstore.com/nature-made-vitamin-d3-1000-iu-tablets/qxp149037

and I take b/w 4-5000 IUs now to keep my blood levels in the 70s ng/ml. Here is a list of some of the best D3 supplements.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/vitamin-d

Personally I prefer tablets to capsules or sofgels.

Are you getting enough Magnesium? I thought of that when I read about your muscle spasms. This is what I take. 2-3 pills a day (400-600 mg)
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227019&catid=183255&aid=338666&aparam=227019&kpid=227019&CAWELAID=120142990000071433&CAGPSPN=pla

Karen, I think Vitamin D blood testing is routinely included in blood testing in the USA now. However it is a good idea to check with your doctor and make sure because it is of critical importance to make sure you are not Vitamin D deficient. And a caveat. The USA prescription Vitamin D is D2 and not well absorbed so definitely you are better off taking OTC D3.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been taking it for a very long time. Lots of vit d deficient folks out there. I'm fairly dark skinned so we're not exempt either! I take Life Extension vit D but there are several brands out there that are really good too. Now, Jarrow are 2 of my other brands that I will use if I cant get the LEF stuff.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1449668998|3959319 said:
CJ2008|1449664892|3959302 said:

Hi CJ, I use a few different brands and just make sure it is D3. Right now I am using Nature Made D3
http://www.drugstore.com/nature-made-vitamin-d3-1000-iu-tablets/qxp149037

and I take b/w 4-5000 IUs now to keep my blood levels in the 70s ng/ml. Here is a list of some of the best D3 supplements.

https://labdoor.com/rankings/vitamin-d

Personally I prefer tablets to capsules or sofgels.

Are you getting enough Magnesium? I thought of that when I read about your muscle spasms. This is what I take. 2-3 pills a day (400-600 mg)
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=227019&catid=183255&aid=338666&aparam=227019&kpid=227019&CAWELAID=120142990000071433&CAGPSPN=pla

Karen, I think Vitamin D blood testing is routinely included in blood testing in the USA now. However it is a good idea to check with your doctor and make sure because it is of critical importance to make sure you are not Vitamin D deficient. And a caveat. The USA prescription Vitamin D is D2 and not well absorbed so definitely you are better off taking OTC D3.

Missy, perhaps, IF you go in for yearly physicals, which most people, especially the young and healthy, do not do. Other than that, I'm not aware of any doctor for whom it is routine, at least not in my neck of the woods. I see a stupid number of doctors at present, and the only ones who have ordered one for me in the last decade (that I can recall) has been a rheum who did not emphasize how critical it was to get my level up, or the neuro who diagnosed me with MS. Believe me, I KNOW about vitamin D - I've kind of backed off the 70,000 - 90,000 IUs a week of D3 - down to about 30-50,000, but I'm still pretty diligent, and still at a lower level than my doctor wants, after nearly a year of supplementation. I guess I don't absorb it very well.

And I am NOT saying that low D is a cause of MS. It is strongly correlated with MS, and there is evidence that keeping levels up after diagnosis, can reduce relapses. But no "low D = MS" or that high D will keep you from developing it. I just think it can't hurt in this area, and is another reason to add to the list of good reasons to keep your D levels up. I just wanted to be very clear on that in case anyone read my previous post and misunderstood.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the clarification Karen. Where we live it is customary and routine as a part of the annual physical at least from our experience. All my friends get their blood level checked every year as do my dh and I and we have been doing so for almost the last decade I think. Our internist is associated with NYU and our friends doctors are at different hospitals in the NYC area and it seems routine here based on our experiences. Of course your experience is different so obviously not universal across the country I am sad to see. And yes we all get routine annual physicals as do our friends. I am sorry you are having issues absorbing vitamin D and I hope the doctors figure out why. Also I agree with your observation that MS and low D are often linked. That is not to say is caused by but there is def an association with low D and MS. Sorry for the jumbled post. On the go and in a rush but wanted to acknowledge your post. Thanks.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I just had mine tested, and it was 17. My OBGYN (who did the test) wanted to put me on the 50,000 weekly pill (D2). My PCP said not to take D2 and D3 is what I need, so I'm on 8,000 units of that a day. My PCP also said the 50,000 unit pill has caused strokes.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demon|1434498047|3890087 said:
Be careful. My vitamin D was checked toward the end of January, and was 19. They put me on 4000 units per day, and about two weeks later, before it had time to build up I'm sure, I broke my ankle. Now mind you I rolled the ankle off the edge of a sidewalk in the park, but still... A lady I work with said her level was 17 and they told her she could break a bone at any time. Not trying to alarm you, but do be careful.

Hi Demon: I had a fall 3.5 years ago and broke my leg/knee in 3 places. A couple months ago I started taking 1 tablespoon of silica (its a liquid) in a glass of water each day. Silica keeps our bones supple as opposed to brittle. I've noticed a difference in my bony 'feelings' about a month in with it. I buy the Eidon silica at my natural foods/supplements store. You might give it a try. Just never store it in the fridge, which would desiccate it.

I also take magnesium (Hi MIssy! My mag level came back really good on my blood testing this month!), I split 800 mg between 2 meals and 1 hour before bed, I buy the Doctor's Best brand and that is important, most magnesium supplements will not give you the benefit you seek because they are the 'wrong' type of magnesium.

Sublingual vitamin D tabs are a great way to get the D right into you. They are teeny tiny, you dissolve them under your tongue.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I've been taking daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplementation since 1980. I view it as insurance against deficiencies though I am aware that with some people absorption is the problem. I'm shocked by how many doctors and how much medical literature say, "Supplementation is not necessary. With a balanced diet, a person should be able to ingest adequate amounts."

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results