shape
carat
color
clarity

Is it true that freshwater pearls have the thickest nacre?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I heard from a SA today that fw pearl has the thickest nacre, nearly purely nacre. Is that right?

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Is it true that freshwater pearls have the thickest nacr

Yes, freshwater pearls are nucleated with a small piece of mantle tissue, and are nearly all pure nacre.

However, there is new technology that allows for some types of freshwater pearls to be bead-nucleated; they will be very large, nearly round, and with a layer of nacre over the bead.

Akoya, South Sea and Tahitian pearls are all bead-nucleated, so there is a bead in the middle, with nacre over it.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ennui, thanks for the reply. :)) So do vendors know what type of fw pearls they have: the old type or new type? I want to buy from the usual recommended ones. But I doubt any vendor will open up their fw pearls to see if they have the old type or new type. Besides fw are more cost friendly so I wouldn't want to trouble the vendors too much.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

The new bead-nucleated freshwater pearls are usually marketed under a name like Ming, Edison, or ripple. They tend to be very expensive, and very large (over 10mm), so they are easy to spot. They aren't that common, so I doubt you'll run into them in stores.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you, ennui :))

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I've been seeing ripples in TJ Maxx.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

pearlsngems|1434424428|3889725 said:
I've been seeing ripples in TJ Maxx.

I've seen some really bad ripples at TJMaxx, usually of the "pond slime" coloration. I've seen pond slime keshi pearl strands, too. And dyed black fireball pearls. In my experience, all of these look fine until you look closely. I say that as a huge fan of TJMaxx, btw. I've found some great things, but it's all buyer beware and buyer be careful. :angel:

I love TJMaxx for pearl ropes. :naughty:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I have seen round white 8mm good quality bead nucleated freshwater pearl strands, so smaller are certainly out there. Any decent pearl vendor should know whether their pearls have a bead or not.
There are indeed a lot of really low quality bead nucleated freshwater pearls out there at present - as well as some stunning and very expensive ones

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock

Yes.
For some reason I'm all about freshwater pearls these days ( the 100% nacre pearls ).

ennui

Brilliant_Rock

Pearlescence|1434494691|3890052 said:
I have seen round white 8mm good quality bead nucleated freshwater pearl strands, so smaller are certainly out there.

Really. Good to know, thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results