shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinions on septum piercing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was speaking with a young lady on Sunday who had a pierced septum.
The ring was the kind with the little balls on the ends. I found it so distracting. It screamed "farm animal" to me.
I kept trying not to stare at it. I think it made her "less pretty". I know it's self expression and all that, but I just didn't like it.
Maybe I'm getting old, but a pierced nostril with a petite diamond stud would be so much more attractive.
If any readers have a pierced septum, I apololgize, and please don't be mad at me for being an old fogy.
Thoughts anyone?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Well, you clearly have a strong opinion about it, so I'm actually a little confused as to why you're asking for the opinions of others.

My opinion of them is I don't really have one. Some look fantastic, some not so much. Venus by Maria Tash makes some really exquisite jewelry, so should I ever decide I'd like mine pierced, that would be where my jewelry comes from.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1433814244|3886770 said:
Well, you clearly have a strong opinion about it, so I'm actually a little confused as to why you're asking for the opinions of others.

Ok, I'll clarify.
Am I the only one who thinks they are unattractive?
I'm just wondering who DOES like them, and why.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Only things we are used to are okay and no big deal, like chopping off the ends of the penises of human babies.

Anything we are not accustomed to is disgusting and inherently evil.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433816973|3886786 said:
Only things we are used to are okay and no big deal, like chopping off the ends of the penises of human babies.

Anything we are not accustomed to is disgusting and inherently evil.

I never said disgusting or evil. Just unattractive.
And circumcision is torture.
Circumcision is done without the babies consent.
Septum piercings are voluntary.
Hey, did you just do a threadjack, Big K?? :lol:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not something I would ever do but I try not to judge what other people think is beautiful. I can see why it would be distracting though. I also find face tattoos very distracting.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband had one. What I liked about that piercing is that he could flip the ring up into his nostril and you wouldn't know he had a pierced septum. It was like a small horse shoe shape. I almost prefer this to a nose piercing because the nostril will be left with a little hole/scar.

When he used to have jewelry in that septum piercing, it did look kinda cattle-like, and I often imagined leading him around by that little piece of body jewelry. I guess this pretty much defines our relationship dynamic still... :naughty:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my younger cousins got hers done last month. It's not something I personally care for much, and at first I did find it distracting when I'd talk to her but that went away after a few minutes and it just became a part of her-but I'm not into piercings, I'm a tattoo kinda girl. It's not something I zero in on when I'm with her.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I used to do cattle showing where you lead them around by the nose so you can probably guess what I think.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm a guy who plays bass in the heavy/death metal scene and the septum piercing is something I see a lot of girls having that attend my gigs. I quite like it to be honest, I saw a girl at one gig who had the septum piercing and the side of her head shaved - she looked absolutely stunning.

Despite playing the heavy metal scene and having tattoos and piercigns, one thing I will never understand is people who put the giant plug spacers in their ears and stretch out their earlobes. That is just pure insanity IMO, but I ain't gunna judge. We all have the right to do whatever we wish with our body :loopy:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this bling looks kinda nice. :clap:

screen_shot_2015-06-09_at_12.png

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433834249|3886828 said:

Having raised small children, I have the overwhelming urge to grab a tissue and wipe her nose.........
OH! Maybe that's why it bugs me! Aha moment!

I would rather see those diamonds on her hand. (or mine!)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I am not mistaken, septum piecing is common and is a cultural practise amongst certain native groups in Nepal, India and Bangladesh. To them, it is a sign of beauty and social status. What is considered beautiful to one ethnic group may not be the case for a different ethnic group. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;))

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it's not for me, but I'm 53 and I'd get laughed at probably. I don't have the confidence to have one at my age..

There are very beautiful septum rings out there that cost thousands of dollars. They are gorgeous, and are very trendy. They look great on some people. I appreciate the beauty of them on other people. I don't love the look of a plain horseshoe barbell with ball ends, no. But looking at pieces by BVLA and Maria Tash, I can see why people like them, women and men. :))

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen very small diamonds on pierced nostrils that look kind of nice, but the septum pierce is a definite no as far as I am concerned. I'm basically not into pierced noses in general but I like the look of multiple piercings in one ear. Go figure.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've seen some that look very nice, but generally I don't care for them. I'm not crazy about tongue piercings or large ear gauges either. I would say it's a sanitary thing (even though I'm far from a germophobe) but, truth be told, it's probably just an old fogey thing. :wink2:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of those either, but at 55, I am with you on the old fogey front. But I am not really a fan of many of the things that people like to do to their bodies these days. But that is just me. I am sure in the minority I know, and that is ok. It would be a little distracting, and looking at it, I think "ouch" over and over in my head.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1433856029|3886881 said:
If I am not mistaken, septum piecing is common and is a cultural practise amongst certain native groups in Nepal, India and Bangladesh. To them, it is a sign of beauty and social status. What is considered beautiful to one ethnic group may not be the case for a different ethnic group. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;))

Good point.

The exact same thing becomes acceptable under the umbrella of respecting another culture, but in OUR culture? No way, Jose!
Fascinating, and embarrassing, how the mind works.

I'd never get one, or even get my ears pierced, but have no problem with others doing anything they want to their bodies.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Count me in with the old fogies (at 42!). I too don't mind a tiny spec of a diamond on the nostril, but cannot get used to the idea of a septum piercing or ear-lobe stretching etc....

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't mind the barbell piercing that you are talking about, however I dont like the ring, that reminds me of the farm animal look

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I also find the septum piercing distracting although the diamonds are pretty nice. I've always wanted to get a small piercing in the side of my nose but at 59 I think it is too late. Sometimes I say just go for it, I'm too old to care what people think but then I chicken out. Does anyone my age have one?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't find them attractive (and if I had one I would think the feeling of it would make me feel I had a booger to wipe). But then I don't think I'm the demographic they are looking to impress/attract anyways so whatever.
My daughters are even more conservative than me and don't like pierced ears and say they are never going to pierce their ears. I guess my poor earrings will have to find a different home.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NonieMarie|1433881756|3887049 said:
I also find the septum piercing distracting although the diamonds are pretty nice. I've always wanted to get a small piercing in the side of my nose but at 59 I think it is too late. Sometimes I say just go for it, I'm too old to care what people think but then I chicken out. Does anyone my age have one?

It's definitely not too late! I'm a little younger, but I've had a nostril piercing for about 10 years. At first I felt self-conscious, but nowadays this piercing is so common in all ages no one gives it a second glance.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
lyra|1433883771|3887065 said:

It's definitely not too late! I'm a little younger, but I've had a nostril piercing for about 10 years. At first I felt self-conscious, but nowadays this piercing is so common in all ages no one gives it a second glance.

I was with my daughter when she had hers done. She tried to get me to do it too. Around 6 years ago I finally got a tattoo. It is a large flower on the top of my foot and I love it. My late husband was the 3rd so I had a roman numeral III added for him. I never got one when he was alive because he would not have been happy about it. I want to continue the design on the other ankle so it looks like the vines wrap around. If I do get the piercing, my daughter will be the one that encourages me to go for it.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl:
NonieMarie|1433886853|3887079 said:
lyra|1433883771|3887065 said:

I was with my daughter when she had hers done. She tried to get me to do it too. Around 6 years ago I finally got a tattoo. It is a large flower on the top of my foot and I love it. My late husband was the 3rd so I had a roman numeral III added for him. I never got one when he was alive because he would not have been happy about it. I want to continue the design on the other ankle so it looks like the vines wrap around. If I do get the piercing, my daughter will be the one that encourages me to go for it.

Yay for stepping out of the box!

I used to want a tiny little hoop in my eyebrow. Then I wanted a little stud in my nose. It's just not me-I'll stick to tattoos. I don't get the gauges in the lobes either. On some people, some things look "right" and some it just looks off. To each their own! If'n we don't like it, we don't have to do it.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433834249|3886828 said:

The inclusions highlight the blackheads and enlarged pores on her nose!

Pirtcings don't "bother" me, the only thought I have is that the piereced person might have a high tolerance for pain.

What I do find laughable is the assumption that I'm shocked or outraged or give a darn at all. I'm not paying that much attention.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I like them and think they are quite beautiful when they are small and very subtle. I've thought about getting one in the last few years, but they are a little "too" trendy now.

Zoe Kravitz has her septum pierced and it always looks stunning.

_30988.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
This one is very subtle and you can't really see it unless you look closely.

zoe__1_.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
LAJennifer, that gal would look stunning no matter what, and you can hardly see the nose ring, so I guess it's really just for her !!

Kenny, isn't that a close-up of a guy???

My super wonderful and relatively conservative 3rd son brought his fiancee over to meet us for the first time last Fall...
tattoo'd, pierced, ear-gauged, ombre-blue-haired missy..... sweet and quiet and very nice.. I love her !!!
do I "get" all that ?

no

but as my co-worker says, "You know very well, M, that if you were her age you would be doing all that and more!"
HA HA HA He's right !!!!

at my age "now", all I can think about is how all those kids are gonna afford the tattoo erasing and ear surgeries they are MOST DEF gonna
want when they are my age :Up_to_something:

at least once you take out the piercings, then for the most part you only have a small scar where they used to be.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
If someone wants to pierce their body (or circumcise their child - although, I don't know how that's relevant to the conversation :confused: ) then that's their prerogative =)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results