shape
carat
color
clarity

Are local jewelers risky to use for a ering cleaning?

mskeno

Rough_Rock
Hello! I'm quite new to PS (although I've browsed many, many articles on diamond buying) and have finally signed up for an account.
Please bear with me as this is my first time posting on the forums and I'm not really sure if this is even the correct place. I apologize in advance.

I have a concern for getting my engagement ring cleaned by a local jeweler when I finally get it. It will be a custom diamond engagement ring and I am terrified that the local jeweler will swap out the diamond and replace it with a lower quality one. Does this ever happen or am I being paranoid for no reason?

I am building a custom e-ring with my boyfriend. We bought the setting from one location and will be purchasing a diamond from BGD. Now obviously, I will need to find a local place to get the ring cleaned in the future but I am terrified of getting my ring back and having another diamond in there! What can I do to prevent myself from getting into a situation like this? Do situations like this ever happen? And if they have, how were they resolved?

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The jeweller will have to be really quick in order to swap out your diamond and have a replacement on hand that is exactly the same shape and size as your original stone, and set it nicely so that it won't look obvious. Most jewellers will not do this as even a single occurrence will tarnish their reputation forever and they will be out of business in no time. In short, the chance of this happening is very low.

Find out from family and friends who they go to for simple servicing of their jewellery. Check out local reviews, go into the shop(s) to talk to the SA and bench to see whether you feel comfortable. Some will even clean it in front of you as the equipment is visible across the counter. Learn to use a loupe and recognize the clarity plot of your diamond (this is where inclusions are your friend :bigsmile: ).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all chrono said.

If you're still worried, buy yourself a jewelry steam cleaner and clean that baby yourself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ashleyliza|1426661085|3848940 said:
Yeah for sure
Can you please clarify your statement/opinion? Are you saying that local jewellers should be avoided or that they are fine?

mskeno

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1426594315|3848421 said:
The jeweller will have to be really quick in order to swap out your diamond and have a replacement on hand that is exactly the same shape and size as your original stone, and set it nicely so that it won't look obvious. Most jewellers will not do this as even a single occurrence will tarnish their reputation forever and they will be out of business in no time. In short, the chance of this happening is very low.

Find out from family and friends who they go to for simple servicing of their jewellery. Check out local reviews, go into the shop(s) to talk to the SA and bench to see whether you feel comfortable. Some will even clean it in front of you as the equipment is visible across the counter. Learn to use a loupe and recognize the clarity plot of your diamond (this is where inclusions are your friend :bigsmile: ).

Ah that makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much for all of your info! My boyfriend and I are picking out a ring together so it's going to mean so much to me when we do and I want to minimize all risk of losing it. I will definitely ask friends and family where they go. You've been extremely helpful, thank you!!! :)

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You could have your diamond inscribed with a identifying number, The GIA does this service and will certify your stone with inclusions and info.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results