color
clarity

Help Me Find a TOASTER

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1432737389|3881790 said:
Dee*Jay said:
I have a Dualit 2 + 1, the "1" being a slot for a sandwich cage... not that that cage could hold any sandwich I've ever seen. And god forbid you put anything on that sandwich that *drips*. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

Small things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Big things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. ALL things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

My advice: Don't buy a Dualit. Make a bonfire and toast bread on a stick before you buy a Dualit.

I couldn't figure this out when I read about the sandwich feature. I thought that Dualit had somehow defied the laws of physics and come up with a way to keep the sandwiches from dripping. Some kind of gravity-defying Tardis interior in the toaster. I guess not. :D

When I was given this little piece of toaster magic as a gift I questioned how exactly that would work if, say, you wanted *cheese* on your sandwhich. The giver looked at me like I was a special kind of stupid. "This is how they do it in EUROPE," was his reply. To this day I have no idea what that means... Perhaps gravity is different in EUROPE. Kind of like the coriolis effect on toilets below the equator...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Excellent -- I see you picked one!!!

Let us know how it works... and if you aren't in EUROPE please keep a fire extinquisher handy!!!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1432737815|3881796 said:
Dee*Jay said:
I have a Dualit 2 + 1, the "1" being a slot for a sandwich cage... not that that cage could hold any sandwich I've ever seen. And god forbid you put anything on that sandwich that *drips*. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

Small things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Big things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. ALL things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

My advice: Don't buy a Dualit. Make a bonfire and toast bread on a stick before you buy a Dualit.

I couldn't figure this out when I read about the sandwich feature. I thought that Dualit had somehow defied the laws of physics and come up with a way to keep the sandwiches from dripping. Some kind of gravity-defying Tardis interior in the toaster. I guess not. :D

When I was given this little piece of toaster magic as a gift I questioned how exactly that would work if, say, you wanted *cheese* on your sandwhich. The giver looked at me like I was a special kind of stupid. "This is how they do it in EUROPE," was his reply. To this day I have no idea what that means... Perhaps gravity is different in EUROPE. Kind of like the coriolis effect on toilets below the equator...

I've heard they don't actually have cheese in Europe.

:bigsmile:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, that's super cute iLander (never thought I could say that about a toaster). Fingers crossed it's a good one!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1432811744|3882150 said:
Ooo, that's super cute iLander (never thought I could say that about a toaster). Fingers crossed it's a good one!

It is oddly cute, isn't it? Thanks, we'll see how it goes. . . ::)

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Dee*Jay|1432737815|3881796 said:
Dee*Jay said:

Maybe our gravity is different? Or our cheese, maybe? Or the bread? Or maybe I said the magic words just right, but as I type this, I'm eating my toasted cheese sandwich, made in my dualit, with the cage. I make toasted cheese sandwiches in it multiple times a week, and I've had it for 14 years now, so it isn't beginner's luck or anything. Which really leaves me wondering...

if I cut the plug off the toaster, would I get thinner? :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zlata|1432684195|3881488 said:
I also gave up on finding a reliable toaster--at any price! My company used to have an old school employee cafeteria with self-serve toast station. I decided to go straight to restaurant quality and ended up with this: http://www.hubert.com/90902/Hubert-Commercial-Bread-Toaster-2-Slots-120V-Stainless-Steel.html

No, it's not pretty, but it's not offensive looking either, IMHO. (Also, I don't like little appliances on my counter, so it goes in the cupboard when it's not in use.) It has all of the features of an expensive toaster and is a workhorse. In the above description it says the lever lifts toast out, which may be an improvement over my version. When I purchased, they asked if I needed bamboo tongs. Really, mine does lift most breads out just fine. It's only small pieces or English muffins that can be a bit of trouble. It gets a regular, daily+ workout and performs like a champ. I've probably had it for 3 or so years now.

Funny that when I called to order, they were only set up for wholesale accounts. It took a bit of work to make them realize I was a retail customer. It looks like they sell to the public now though. Great price, too!

I bookmarked this thread because I knew the day would come soon when our "nice" KitchenAid four-slot toaster that I bought less than two years ago would sh*t the bed. It's never been right, and the final straw came yesterday.

I just placed an order with Hubert. Fingers crossed, and thank you Zlata for the recommendation!

iLander, how is your Breville working out now that you've had for a bit? (Edited to correct brain fart.)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
rainydaze said:
iLander, how is your Breville working out now that you've had for a bit? (Edited to correct brain fart.)

I'm giving it the side eye, because I don't trust it. :rolleyes: The first time we used it, it charcoaled a piece of bread on the medium (3) setting. Turned it way down, worked well. Then it started under-toasting, so we've been slowly nudging it up. It's at the 4 setting now, and I'm wondering where this is heading.

I'm suspecting it will last another year or two, then I will need to activate the "warranty" that I paid $7 for.

I should have just gotten it at Costco, so I could return it when it died. :nono:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results