• No

Votes: 29 80.6%
  • Other, please explain

Votes: 2 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
No, I don't find it sexist. I think that this is a perfect example of how anyone can be offended by just about anything. It's getting to the point where we can barely do or say anything in fear of offending someone... :???:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope.

Stereotypical way of dressing the gent and the lady perhaps, otherwise, nothing offensive to me.

DK :))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay. First off, that article was incredibly rude and patronizingly (?) written. Second, I don't believe it is necesarily sexist, however it is portraying/perpetuating a very common thing that IS sexist - males being more powerful than women. And yes, even men & women who are friends have this dynamic (of course not all). It literally starts from birth, boys are taught to be strong, brave, speak up, when they do something wrong its 'oh boys will be boys'. Girls are taught to be nice, polite, dont interupt, sit nicely, etc. It is something that people don't even realize on a day to day basis. It is the same way that certain things can be racist without it FEELING like it is.

ETA - I think this wouldn't be an issue if the guy was sitting on the bench (as equals) talking to the woman. It is only brought about because they tried to make the male look more powerful (being larger, the 'rude' posture of putting his feet up, the woman looking up to him, etc). I don't know if its an issue to get into a tizzy about, but if it starts a conversation about power dynamics I dont think its a bad thing.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
telephone89|1432849116|3882433 said:
Okay. First off, that article was incredibly rude and patronizingly (?) written. Second, I don't believe it is necesarily sexist, however it is portraying/perpetuating a very common thing that IS sexist - males being more powerful than women. And yes, even men & women who are friends have this dynamic (of course not all). It literally starts from birth, boys are taught to be strong, brave, speak up, when they do something wrong its 'oh boys will be boys'. Girls are taught to be nice, polite, dont interupt, sit nicely, etc. It is something that people don't even realize on a day to day basis. It is the same way that certain things can be racist without it FEELING like it is.

ETA - I think this wouldn't be an issue if the guy was sitting on the bench talking to the woman. It is only brought about because they tried to make the male look more powerful (being larger, the 'rude' posture of putting his feet up, the woman looking up to him, etc). I don't know if its an issue to get into a tizzy about, but if it starts a conversation about power dynamics I dont think its a bad thing.

I am raising sons and daughters and I don't teach those things you posted any more to one than the other. I don't teach my sons to be any more brave, strong, outspoken, etc. than I do my daughters and likewise, I don't teach my daughters to be any more nice, polite, etc. than I do my sons :confused: Also, I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that when boys do something wrong, it's simply in their nature. Those things are sort of old school, IMO.
As far as the statue is concerned, I suppose the perception is all about the person perceiving it. I don't find anything remotely sexist about it, but that's just my perception. It looks like a casual encounter between friends IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I don't think this statue is sexist.

I never heard of mansplaining either. Honestly I think some/many of us are hypersensitive to so much it makes it difficult to say or do anything without someone reading something unflattering into those words/actions.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny_query_24371.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1432850427|3882448 said:

Haha, yes that looks like exactly what is going on lol. :lol:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1432849868|3882441 said:
telephone89|1432849116|3882433 said:

ETA - I think this wouldn't be an issue if the guy was sitting on the bench talking to the woman. It is only brought about because they tried to make the male look more powerful (being larger, the 'rude' posture of putting his feet up, the woman looking up to him, etc). I don't know if its an issue to get into a tizzy about, but if it starts a conversation about power dynamics I dont think its a bad thing.

I am raising sons and daughters and I don't teach those things you posted any more to one than the other. I don't teach my sons to be any more brave, strong, outspoken, etc. than I do my daughters and likewise, I don't teach my daughters to be any more nice, polite, etc. than I do my sons :confused: Also, I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that when boys do something wrong, it's simply in their nature. Those things are sort of old school, IMO.
As far as the statue is concerned, I suppose the perception is all about the person perceiving it. I don't find anything remotely sexist about it, but that's just my perception. It looks like a casual encounter between friends IMO.
And folks now a days are much more concious of NOT teaching children that, however it still happens, even unconciously. It is not just you as a parent that has an impact on your child. It is society, media, friends, family, teachers, employers, etc.

Here are a few links that outline male priviledge
http://www.safeatschool.ca/plm/equity-and-inclusion/understanding-sexism-racism-and-homophobia/sexism-and-violence
http://www.safeatschool.ca/sites/all/themes/safeatschool/files/adapted_male_privilegeRH.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambivalent_sexism and I know wiki isnt the best, but this is pretty accurate and an interesting read.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Oh, I agree that it still happens on some levels and I'm very well aware of male privilege.
I still don't think that the statue is sexist simply because he's standing and she's sitting. It's just not how I perceive it.
"Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
-Freud
In this case, it's just a statue... :lol:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think she should swing her foot up and kick him in the nuts... :naughty:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I find it sexist, but I'm not offended. To me it's just more of the same old, same old.

I notice the clothing seems outdated so maybe it was created awhile ago.

Anne

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hell no!

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
nah

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How the university should solve this problem is by nearby putting up a statue of a woman leaning over a man in a similar pose. There. Equality.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1432885049|3882601 said:
How the university should solve this problem is by nearby putting up a statue of a woman leaning over a man in a similar pose. There. Equality.

...well, there are other options. For example, another woman could be added to the ensemble, and she could have her hand on the man's derriere. Or, better yet, pinching it as she walks by! He's sticking it out there! Tempting?

Deb/AGBF ;))

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I doubt any man puts on a crotch display like that in this day and age :lol: but then I think it's fair to say that some of us are more enlightened than some places in the world, so it may well still go on... :???: :D

Like everything in this world, one sees in subjects the matters one is sensitive too - often our interpretation of a subject says more about ourselves and our views than it does about the subject under discussion.

IMHO, naturally ;-)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. He's hoping she'll reach out and touch his BFF. His stance does not reflect any feelings of superiority or entitlement.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. He's hoping she'll reach out and touch his BFF. His stance does not reflect any feelings of superiority or entitlement.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry- double post.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madam Bijoux|1432935182|3882790 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MB, I looked up BFF in urban dictionary but still have no idea which 'meaning' you are using.

Anyone want to help a clueless and very uncool guy out?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No, I don't see it as sexist at all.

What I wanna know is why she has shiny legs from the knees down to her ankles. :think:

:lol:

ETA: I tried to explain BFF but it was getting to dirty so I deleted. :rodent:

Judy
=)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find the sculptures stupid and a waste of money. No wonder tuition is sky high. I am in favor of beautifying college campuses but expensive and ugly statues are not cost effective.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ccuheartnurse|1433043416|3883169 said:
No, I don't see it as sexist at all.

What I wanna know is why she has shiny legs from the knees down to her ankles. :think:

I've been wondering that too! Shin fetishism run rampant? Weird frat initiation rites? Somebody getting off on judiciously placed bronze polish?

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
If I were the woman, I'd find his foot up on the bench rude. When I clicked on the link, three pop-up ads came up, even though I have pop-up blocker. :eh:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1433041207|3883164 said:
MB, I looked up BFF in urban dictionary but still have no idea which 'meaning' you are using.

Anyone want to help a clueless and very uncool guy out?
Hi, Kenny :wavey: BFF is best friend forever.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy|1432850026|3882445 said:
No I don't think this statue is sexist.

I never heard of mansplaining either. Honestly I think some/many of us are hypersensitive to so much it makes it difficult to say or do anything without someone reading something unflattering into those words/actions.

I agree, Missy. People can find just about anything to be offended by nowadays.

Sky, why do you find the man's foot on the bench to be rude? I don't see that at all. Maybe he just had to tie his shoe. :cheeky:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty... I bet the squirrels come out at night & caress her. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results