shape
carat
color
clarity

Do you think women be taxed for sanitary items?

Do you think women be taxed for sanitary items?

• Yes

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • No

Votes: 26 96.3%

• Total voters

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
In Australia this debate has been reignited over the past week - which is a bloody good thing in my opinion.

Currently Australian women pay the GST (10% tax) on tampons, pads and other sanitary products, whilst other "necessary items" remain tax free.

Here is a snippet from the change.org petition:
"Did you know there is a GST on Tampons AND they are called a ‘luxury’? I don’t know about you, but they don’t seem like a luxury to me. Condoms, lubricant, incontinence pads or sunscreen on the other hand are GST free. What’s with that?"

I'm curious to hear what my fellow PSers think, both in Australia and worldwide!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ridiculous. No way should tampons be taxed and then not tax other similar items such as condoms, lubricants, shaving cream for men etc. Not fair IMO. Either tax all of it or none of it. It's not as if tampons/sanitary pads are a luxury item yanno? What genius came up with that? Luxury my foot. :nono:

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
Luxury items?? What is the suggested alternative, go without anything? Yikes.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Luxury items are things that women want.
Tampons are things that women need and therefore, not a luxury item.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my state (NM) all non-food items are taxed. All feminine products, bath tissue, etc.
If it is edible, (including gum, candy, etc) it is not taxed.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this a tax above normal tax? I'm in Massachusetts and feminine items are taxed at whatever the state tax rate is on non food items. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant, etc, all are taxed here.

I will say this though, if they don't tax the other stuff, then they're pulling that tax out their butts, thats pretty silly. They're taxing women for wanting to stay clean. It should only a luxury item if they start bedazzling the damn things.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
That's ridiculous! :o

If men needed them, they'd be free!

It's just like the coverage debate for birth control pills, yet Viagara is covered, no problem.

The women of this world need to rise up. :(

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In California food sold in stores is not taxed and non-food items are generally taxed. Prescription drugs are not taxed, but over the counter medicine and medical devices are. So... sanitary supplies are generally taxed. That seems way simpler to me than creating a list of things that are excluded. But since that's the way Australia does it, then... of course feminine sanitary products should be treated as necessary items and not luxury items.

I'm curious now... is toilet paper considered a luxury or a necessity?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes taxing tampons does sound unfair if mens' personal things are not taxed.
(BTW, when a condom is used BOTH people are using it.)
I say tax it such things for BOTH genders, or don't tax it all.

I don't understand the logic of, "women need tampons so they should not be taxed."
Everyone needs clothes, so clothes should not be taxed?
I need a car so that should not be taxed.
My car needs gas so ....

Defining what is and isn't a luxury is a slippery slope.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
The tax is a Goods and Services tax of 10% and it applies to certain items that are deemed "luxury " items. Even if one argued over what might be considered a luxury item, I think most people would agree that sanitary products are essential and they are needed to maintain a standard of female health and hygiene. Besides, to consider something a luxury, don't you have to have a more basic alternative :confused:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the basic alternative is the old fashioned rag cloths. :rolleyes:

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When was this tax put in effect? Sometimes laws just don't age well. Perhaps 50 years ago tampons were considered luxury and women just used rugs or menstrual cups. I certainly wouldn't consider tampons luxury item.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
It was introduced in 2000 I think

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada is also going through this. There are some interesting arguments. For example, toilet paper is taxed. That's not really discriminatory, but I'm sure most people would consider it necessary! So if they start untaxing tampons, there will be a lot of other things that will need to be considered.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ARGH!!

THE ONLY REASON WHY WOMEN EVEN HAVE PERIODS ARE BC WE ARE THE ONES TO CARRY BABIES AND CONTINUE THE HUMAN RACE. IF THEY WANT TO TAX THAT, WOMEN AS A GENDER SHOULD TAX ALL OF HUMANITY EVERY TIME WE GIVE BIRTH. WE WILL CALL IT A SPECIES CONTINUATION TAX.M HEO WOULD THEY LIKE THAT?!?!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As of July 1st we won't pay GST (5% tax) on tampons here in Canada anymore. I'm not sure about provincial sales tax though. I always thought it was crazy to have to pay tax for sanitary items but things like caviar were excluded :confused:

quietlysw

Rough_Rock
I'm so glad to read all of your responses, and now feel like my rage is equally felt :angryfire:
telephone89 your point about toilet paper is interesting- I hadn't even thought of that!
And LLJsmom I love your idea of the species continuation tax! :lol:

Kenny your point about the definition of luxury is very interesting, and did make me stop and think for a moment. But I think the debate that clothes, cars, gas etc should also then be exempt from tax is wrong, because everybody needs those items. The fact that tampons are only used by women is being used as an excuse to tax us. Tampons ARE necessary, and definitely not a luxury item. For example, you can take public transport, buy second hand clothing etc. Menstruation is a fact of life for women. So I find the tax quite discriminatory. I hope that makes sense!

I can't wait to hear what others think of this.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1432851003|3882460 said:
ARGH!!

THE ONLY REASON WHY WOMEN EVEN HAVE PERIODS ARE BC WE ARE THE ONES TO CARRY BABIES AND CONTINUE THE HUMAN RACE. IF THEY WANT TO TAX THAT, WOMEN AS A GENDER SHOULD TAX ALL OF HUMANITY EVERY TIME WE GIVE BIRTH. WE WILL CALL IT A SPECIES CONTINUATION TAX.M HEO WOULD THEY LIKE THAT?!?!

Well, women can't make babies without us men.
So, men as a gender should tax all of humanity every time there is a birth.
We will call it a species continuation tax.
Would they like that?!?!

:wacko:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We carry and nurse the babies. Our tax would be heck of a lot more than yours. :rodent:

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Timely post. My morning news feed says Canada will stop taxing tampons on July 1st.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'm just impressed that some items aren't taxed... I live in the "you buy it, it's taxed" region of the country, I guess. :|

*and I'm super jealous of those states that don't charge sales tax on food items -- Whaaaatttt???!!!!* #lucky ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll play devil's advocate... (hehehe) :Up_to_something:

Tampons aren't a necessity. Don't get me wrong -- they are nice, and I know I can't imagine not having them, but... They really aren't necessary. There are other feminine hygiene products on the market (just not as convenient/clean/etc). So, tampons aren't necessary, but neither is shaving cream or sunscreen. I'd just be happy to have some items that were tax exempt.

The only way to be fair to everyone is to tax everything -- then everyone gets screwed... equally. :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joining (hiding behind) msop04 ... do they still make 'feminine napkins'?
Are those cheaper?
If so, tampons are not a necessity.

Kenny ... donning flame suit.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
When my body decides to do a thorough um...cleanse, shall we say? There are days I spend most of my time in the bathroom. When I went off birth control a couple months ago I had to leave the classroom every 45 minutes to run to the bathroom-I'd not have been able to do that w/a pad-it would've been one sneeze and I'd have had to go home and change my clothes. Pads aren't really conducive to a lot of activity either-I remember when I was younger having leaks on the back of my pants before I started wearing tampons.

Our lives aren't really such that we can just go stand over a hole for 3-7 days and let ourselves drain. And I'd prefer to not wear a pad that is 2ft long to catch everything. Young girls get periods too, it's not just adults-having to wear pads every month means there are activities you *can't* do-so swim team for girls, good luck trying to do a lot of things wearing a "girl diaper".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the explanation.

Not to be snarky but not being psychic I have no way of knowing the difference between such products.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1432932593|3882777 said:
When my body decides to do a thorough um...cleanse, shall we say? There are days I spend most of my time in the bathroom. When I went off birth control a couple months ago I had to leave the classroom every 45 minutes to run to the bathroom-I'd not have been able to do that w/a pad-it would've been one sneeze and I'd have had to go home and change my clothes. Pads aren't really conducive to a lot of activity either-I remember when I was younger having leaks on the back of my pants before I started wearing tampons.

Our lives aren't really such that we can just go stand over a hole for 3-7 days and let ourselves drain.

I'm dying over this, packrat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In all seriousness, the only "fair" way is to tax nothing or to tax everything... I'll bet you can guess which one may happen sooner. None of the items mentioned are truly necessities. Of course we think they are, but they really aren't. They are convenience items that have been deemed "necessary" by our culture. Do I consider tampons a necessity for me? Absolutely! But I'll certainly pay the minor 10%-ish taxes on them before I'll go without. :boohoo:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
kenny|1432933048|3882778 said:

Not to be snarky but not being psychic I have no way of knowing the difference between such products.

hahahaha I wouldn't expect you to have knowledge of these matters Kenny!

Necessity v luxury...I guess I consider it a necessity in this day and age, like sure I don't *have* to have a car, but do people really walk to the store 20 miles away anymore?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1432935988|3882799 said:
kenny|1432933048|3882778 said:

hahahaha I wouldn't expect you to have knowledge of these matters Kenny!

Necessity v luxury...I guess I consider it a necessity in this day and age, like sure I don't *have* to have a car, but do people really walk to the store 20 miles away anymore?

Exactly... I agree with you, but you know how folks like to argue! :|

I think kenny needs a tutorial... just not from me. :lol:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1432930695|3882763 said:
I guess I'm just impressed that some items aren't taxed... I live in the "you buy it, it's taxed" region of the country, I guess. :|

*and I'm super jealous of those states that don't charge sales tax on food items -- Whaaaatttt???!!!!* #lucky ::)

Yeah, no kidding!

I need to move.

Oh and Diva Cup for the win! So much better than other products IMO. No waste, no mess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results