shape
carat
color
clarity

Appliances

amc80

Ideal_Rock
We are in escrow for a new house (yay!) and will need a washer/dryer and refrigerator. We were fairly set on a particular set from Samsung (top loader) and a 4 door (French door with door-in-door feature, also Samsung), until speaking with a Home Depot employee. He said samsung's customer service is awful, and we will regret the purchase if we ever have a problem. Our back up plan is a GE washer/dryer (basic, top loader with agitator) and an LG fridge (same deal- 4 door French with door-in-door). Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

We used to have a top loader without an agitator and nothing ever got clean. One thing I liked about the Samsung is it has the AquaJet (blast?) thing that is supposed to clean really well. It also has a self-clean cycle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I have that LG fridge. At 1 year old it was serviced and pretty much everything was replaced in terms of electrical/motor. it has a weird quirk you should be aware of: THe in-door ice and water can stick and you either have water flowing or ice flowing. You open one of the doors, and it stops but then you have both doors open. You then smack the crappers out of the dispensing panel. Mostly it stops soon. The repairman told us to keep the dispenser setting on ICE because ice is a lot easier to clean up/pick up than flowing water.

i would not buy this fridge again. The repairman told me the more options or bells and whistles, the more problems you may expect.

The GE fridge/freezer with in-door ice and water was a workhorse and never needed a thing and I'm sorry I replaced it with the LG.

I hate my front loading LG washing machine, it takes forever and a day to do one load of towels. \

I wish I had better comments for you, GOOD LUCK!!! Congrats on the new house, btw! :wavey:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly dislike our LG fridge. We bought all new appliances a few years ago, and the fridge is the biggest disappointment! Ours is a SxS set- up with water/ice in the door. The fridge side does NOT stay cold enough, even though it is supposedly adjustable. The freezer side ends up freezer burning everything very quickly. The push buttons look worn as if the fridge was 10 years old instead of 3 years old. We also bought ours from Home Depot in Canada. I now question their appliances.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have the Frigidaire Gallery and it is all AWFUL. They are a little over 2 years old. The dishwasher doesn't rinse clean, I have to air dry anything plastic and it's really loud. The frig is a side by side and the ice dispenser shoots ice on the floor then gushes out throwing it everywhere. You'd be surprised how far those little ice cubes can shoot across a wood floor.

I keep looking but read horrible reviews about what I like. We just saw a Kitchenaid at Lowes we like for a dishwasher but it was about $1100. I haven't check reviews on it yet.

Frigidaire is made by Electrolux so I'd stay away from them. I have heard about LG needing lots of repairs and Samsung offering bad service.

I've had better luck with GE and Amana than any other brand in the past. I think overall there are less manufacturers and they are making multiple brands and the quality has gone down on all of them.

I subscribed to consumers reports when we were seriously looking and they didn't really convince me I wanted any of them which is why I am still putting up with what I've got.

Marcy

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Samsung French door. Only had to call customer service one time and had no difficulty whatsoever getting a part replaced for free even though fridge was out of warranty. The part appeared to be defective so they just sent a new one. It was the large lower glass self. Removed it from fridge to clean it and it exploded in my hands. Scary.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would stay away from LG period. The brand always seemed to be 100 bucks cheaper-washer and range/oven when I was looking to replace my appliances but LG just did not seem to be of same quality. I have purchased GE (range/oven), Maytag, Whirlpool (front loaers and dryers and Kitchen-Aid (dish washer) with no problems, The Kitchen Aid fridge is not as well made as the dishwasher as we had the butter door break and the gasket to the freezer separate from the door. Service and installation (and removal) is always through the vendor who sold the appliances (ABT in Chicagoland) and their service is top notch. Don't know who does the service for Home Depot, Menards and Lowes as typically the buyers are the one who does the installation to save $$. Good luck with your purchase.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have a Maytag fridge and GE dishwasher, both of which I like just fine. The dishwasher is the "triton xl," no clue how old it is - I've lived here four years and it could easily be ten years old, but it washes really well and has a dry cycle that actually dries decently. No issues with the fridge. It just does its thing quietly and effectively.

But we have Maytag washer/dryer and I HATE them so much. I think they were designed by the devil. Like, the dryer has this "sensor dry" feature where it CLAIMS to stop drying once stuff is dry because it knows somehow, but it pretty much only works on regular clothes - if you're trying to dry blankets or clothes made of unusual materials it will dry for like ten minutes and then stop. And then you try to put it on timed dry but it's all "NOPE, I have SENSED that these things are dry, so I'm stopping!" and so I occasionally have to dry stuff on a line or, if it's humid/rainy, sit at the dryer with a book and keep pushing the button.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Samsung front load washer & dryer, as well as Samsung fridge/freezer, and I love them all. The only issue I have had in 7 years was the heating element on the dryer, which was easily replaced this past year. I have bought two dishwashers in the same timeframe which were not Samsung (one was G/E, the other I don't recall).

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
amc80|1432672936|3881415 said:
We are in escrow for a new house (yay!) and will need a washer/dryer and refrigerator. We were fairly set on a particular set from Samsung (top loader) and a 4 door (French door with door-in-door feature, also Samsung), until speaking with a Home Depot employee. He said samsung's customer service is awful, and we will regret the purchase if we ever have a problem. Our back up plan is a GE washer/dryer (basic, top loader with agitator) and an LG fridge (same deal- 4 door French with door-in-door). Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

We used to have a top loader without an agitator and nothing ever got clean. One thing I liked about the Samsung is it has the AquaJet (blast?) thing that is supposed to clean really well. It also has a self-clean cycle.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Did research on appliances a few years back, and read the same thing.

BUT This was directly related to having a Samsung approved fixer in your area. You may want to contact Samsung and check if there is one near where you live. The people who had one in the area had no problems. If you didn't then you were in trouble.

Also read that Samsung was the one of the most reliable brands, so chances of needing a fix are the lowest.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
We had a Samsung fridge with an imitation stainless steel finish, theory was it wouldn't fingerprint.

The finish was Awful. It started bubbling up and cracking, it looked like our fridge had leprosy. Tried to get a new door for a 4 year old fridge, but couldn't get it. Meanwhile, it did work fine.

Finally couldn't take it anymore, got a Frigidaire which promptly broke after 1 year. Whole compressor went. Got it fixed, it's still limping along.

So, yeah, good luck with that. Check Amazon or Home Depot reviews.

Worst dishwasher we ever had was a Bosch. Broke after 6 months and never worked right for 3 years.

All appliances suck these days.

If it makes you feel any better, same is true for all things that plug in these days. DH bought a 3D printer, and he had to disassemble it and resolder all the wires that weren't actually soldered.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1432738053|3881800 said:
All appliances suck these days.

Amen. I can't even begin to total up the crap from our dishwasher which we a few years ago. :roll: You 'd think we put boulders in it the way it acts....

I wanted a new washer dryer, but heck no. We still have the Kenmore set purchased from the early 90's! They refuse to die, so may as well keep them!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have all samsung appliances. I love everything except my dishwasher, which is a POS. Dishes somehow come out dirtier than they were going in :angryfire: No experience with their customer service.

But I agree with the 'all appliances suck'. We have miele (sp?) appliances at my work, which are VERY high end. People complain about them non-stop lol.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I wouldn't necessarily listen to the salesperson, as I have found many know very little about the products they sell. I have a Samsung microwave that is 23 yrs old. I just purchased a Samsung range oven that I love(6months old). I have a Whirlpool Fridge that is 7yrs old, with no problems ensuing. My fridge has no door ice making system as I don't use ice in my drinks. I think the more gadgets, the more likely you will have problems.

I have a whirlpool washer and a Frigidaire dryer that are more than 10 yrs old, with no problems. I m really happy with the Fridge.

Annette

iLander

Ideal_Rock
smitcompton|1432747071|3881863 said:
Hi,

I wouldn't necessarily listen to the salesperson, as I have found many know very little about the products they sell. I have a Samsung microwave that is 23 yrs old. I just purchased a Samsung range oven that I love(6months old). I have a Whirlpool Fridge that is 7yrs old, with no problems ensuing. My fridge has no door ice making system as I don't use ice in my drinks. I think the more gadgets, the more likely you will have problems.

I have a whirlpool washer and a Frigidaire dryer that are more than 10 yrs old, with no problems. I m really happy with the Fridge.

Annette

How is this possible? :shock: Is it even allowed?

:bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a costco close by, I would purchase appliances from them over Home Depot. I bought a stove for my parents less than a year ago from Costco - impeccable delivery system. And they also hardwired the stove.

Just bought a stove from home depot a month ago because they were going to have the stove available for delivery sooner than costco. My complaints - initially, the price looked cheaper from home depot, but it's not a loaded price. Throw in taxes, delivery, etc., and it was higher than costco's price. Also, it turned out that the oven had to be hardwired. They would not do it. Home Depot's sales person's advice was that if it turns out that we need to hard wire the oven, reject delivery. What? I ended up paying for my electrician to come back

I also like costco's return policy :)

Also had the experience of having a local appliance store deliver a washing machine - instead of lifting the appliance over the metal saddle/step - i guess they wheeled over it. Next thing i know, i can't close my door. Ugh...

iLander

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1432750541|3881878 said:
If you have a costco close by, I would purchase appliances from them over Home Depot. I bought a stove for my parents less than a year ago from Costco - impeccable delivery system. And they also hardwired the stove.

Just bought a stove from home depot a month ago because they were going to have the stove available for delivery sooner than costco. My complaints - initially, the price looked cheaper from home depot, but it's not a loaded price. Throw in taxes, delivery, etc., and it was higher than costco's price. Also, it turned out that the oven had to be hardwired. They would not do it. Home Depot's sales person's advice was that if it turns out that we need to hard wire the oven, reject delivery. What? I ended up paying for my electrician to come back

Also had the experience of having a local appliance store deliver a washing machine - instead of lifting the appliance over the metal saddle/step - i guess they wheeled over it. Next thing i know, i can't close my door. Ugh...

Wait, what? Costco delivers? Really? From the store?

I always thought I would need a pickup truck, but now if I know they deliver. . . well . . . YAY! :appl:

ETA: answered my own question; I called and they only deliver on-line purchases. No delivery from the warehouse. :(sad

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1432751131|3881882 said:

I always thought I would need a pickup truck, but now if I know they deliver. . . well . . . YAY! :appl:

Oh yeah - i go to http://www.costco.com, look over the reviews, and order!
I'm also using costco for blinds installation.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
PintoBean|1432751390|3881885 said:
iLander|1432751131|3881882 said:

Oh yeah - i go to http://www.costco.com, look over the reviews, and order!
I'm also using costco for blinds installation.

Oh, okay, from the website, yes. We've ordered a couch, a TV, and a dryer from the website. I got excited thinking it was delivery from the warehouse store, which often has different merchandise.

I do loves me some Costco. :D

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer whirlpool, never had a problem with any of our whirlpool appliances.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

PintoBean, what do you mean by "hard wired" the stove?

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love our Blomberg dishwasher. Is 3 or 4 years old. Service is easy as parts are available. (both issues our fault. Broken glass and then bread dough gunned up and did damage.) Oh! After heavy use (like 2-3 loads per day average, more on holidays) we did have the control panel replaced. That was not long ago.

Like our front loading Electrolux washer. Works well. The only problem I have is that the door seal gets funky if you don't let dry. It is also (after 5 or 6 years?) starting to maybe seap a bit around the door.

Dryer is a cheap Kenmore. Works fine. Dries fast.

Stove... Yeah.
Ours is a Kenmore flat top electric. Works okay. Wish we had gas. The door did shatter after just a couple of years. The inner piece. Didn't know they could do that! (the middle piece sandwiched between two others) Sitting in the Living room and heard what sounded like an explosion.

Refrigerator...
The only left from when we bought the house. New,8 years ago. Hate it. But it still runs. Usually. Hoping it works well enough until we can afford to replace. I think it is LG?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Timely thread. Bought a Miele washer and dryer today. Will jettison my LG's on Saturday! :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Matata|1432695248|3881572 said:
I have a Samsung French door. Only had to call customer service one time and had no difficulty whatsoever getting a part replaced for free even though fridge was out of warranty. The part appeared to be defective so they just sent a new one. It was the large lower glass self. Removed it from fridge to clean it and it exploded in my hands. Scary.

I have also had good experiences with Samsung.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
azstonie|1432760219|3881949 said:

PintoBean, what do you mean by "hard wired" the stove?

The stove doesn't get plugged into a socket. There are wires from the wall that need to be connected to the back of the stove.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I love my Samsung front load washer/dryer, best investment ever. It gets all my stuff clean and does not shrink my clothes!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all so much for sharing your experiences. I think we are going to stick with a Samsung fridge and the basic GE washer/dryer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results