shape
carat
color
clarity

Plating question

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
If one wants to change a yellow gold piece to white (band ring), does plating work well? Does it last under good circumstances, not worn while cleaning, etc.?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Only considering plating the top of ring, not sides or inside.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm definitely not the expert on plating, but I happened to be googling unplated white gold and one of the websites I was on had a blurb about plating yellow gold to white gold. It said it can be done, but they don't recommend it. Essentially any little scratch will show yellow underneath the white plating. They said it's better to just invest in a re-make so it doesn't a) drive you crazy and b) you don't keep paying to re-plate it as small scratches occur. My e-ring has tiny scratches on the top of the shank even though it's not in a place where most of the wear and tear occur. Soo, not sure if that's helpful or not!!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible to do just the outside? I thought they put the entire ring in the solution. :confused:

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
JD, makes sense and helpful.
Jo, jeweler said he would seal part to be left yellow with nail polish.
Not feeling good about it. That's why I'm asking.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
AnnaH|1432252793|3879877 said:
I would trust your gut on this.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I have a small three stone ring that I had made back in the day in yellow gold that I never wore so I decided to have it "dipped" or plated white. I had that done a couple of years ago. The top still looks great and white the bottom, by my palm has worn but still isn't back to the original yellow. And I eat plating. Now I don't wear it daily but I am happy that I did it so that the ring has time out of the box.

hope that helps
:bigsmile:

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1432252793|3879877 said:
JD, makes sense and helpful.

I had a platinum ring on which I had the halo plated in rose gold. I actually watched the process and while it might not technically be nail polish they use, it sure looks like that.

I hardly wore the ring but the rose gold wore off really quickly.

So, maybe a rubbish bench or just the nature of the beast?

Who knows? I'm having it repolished back to all platinum now.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Love and Bling, very different experiences. I wonder the same thing. Does it have to do with the process or exactly how well the process is handled?

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Experts? Searched but couldn't find this discussion. I would think this subject has come up before; just couldn't locate it.
Thanks to all who responded.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AnnaH|1432302741|3880038 said:
Love and Bling, very different experiences. I wonder the same thing. Does it have to do with the process or exactly how well the process is handled?
A lot depends on the nature and thickness of the plating deposited, the attention given to the pre-plating prep work, and how experienced the person doing the plating is
AnnaH said:
jeweler said he would seal part to be left yellow with nail polish.
That isn't as wacky as it seems. There is a lacquer sold by trade suppliers for this purpose, but for those with few customers asking for selective electroplating (where the piece is not entirely plated), the big bottle and cost doesn't make a lot of sense when nail polish can also safely serve as the "resist."

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the jeweler's ability to evenly apply, with finely precise lines, the nail polish resist on the visible edges of the band that you'd like to maintain as yellow gold. If you really like the idea of having this kind of 2-tone band, is purchasing a new band out of the question for you?

You might find it useful to do a phone consultation or initiate e-mail correspondence with Artisan Plating, which also has some informative articles on its web site:
http://artisanplating.com

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
Molly, thanks for input. Haven't been able to find what I want, which is no wider than 3mm with Art Deco style.

Mrs2Ouch

Rough_Rock
I am confused, is this not the same as rhodium plating over yellow gold? I have rose gold but would like to know for future reference.

simurgh

Rough_Rock
I've had several items plated in different colors. A few thoughts ...
Plating thickness can vary widely and makes a huge difference to the lifespan/wear
What you're plating with (the particular alloy) also matters
Yes, this is similar to rhodium plating white gold .. Its not clear whether the op would plate with rhodium or white gold
My pieces have lasted as long as typical rhodium over white gold, which is a while, and can be replated, that said, i dont clean with items on
When you say top of ring, what part are you thinking of?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results