shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD Three Stones

geography36

Rough_Rock
Checking around, I like the look of the three stone rings with pear sides from BGD. There is a problem though: I have a couple to choose from. Based on my reading here, as I will be getting a fairly white stone (D-G) with rose gold, I should look mainly at those rings that have white metal heads, so that leaves a few:

The Grace: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/grace-3-stone-pears-18k-rose-gold-5557r18

The Summer: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-18k-rose-gold-5371r18

I also saw this custom ring on PS that looks like it could also be nice, but not clear on the cost to give the ring a white gold or platinum head: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-square-cushion-ha-with-pear-sides.148616/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-ring-square-cushion-ha-with-pear-sides.148616/[/URL]

My center stone would be a round brilliant of about .80 carats.

Four questions:

1. Which style do you like best for a girl who doesn't wear too much jewelry?
2. Should I opt for smaller pears than .4 ctw if my stone is this size?
3. If I went overkill and got a D would there be any noticeable color between it and the sidestones? (I have read that the smaller sidestones would tend to appear lighter in color than larger stones so maybe the D-E center would match the F-G side stones)
4. slg47, would it be possible for you to give me a rough estimate of how much the custom changes (especially the different profile) cost to do?

Thanks for everyone's help on this board. It is perfect for guys.

geography36

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I know I have asked a lot of questions, maybe someone can answer one or two of the questions.

Getting pretty close to finalizing some of my decisions but like to have people's opinions here.

Perhaps I should be a bit more patient.

Thank you

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, weekends are slow, and now people are in Vegas, its a little slow.

I fastly prefer the grace l, myself. I do not think you need to make the stones smaller, I think it'll be a nice proportion. If you're concerned, I do think you could go down to an h and it match the side stones, or even lower and they'll even reduce the pears down to h/I color. A friend of mine ordered one that's not in yet with a j center and h/I sides. They knocked off like 175 from the setting price. She had size 8.5 fingers though, so size was of super importance. It may not be for you.
If you went for the d, I bet they would do e/f side stones.... I bet a 175 increase to bump them up. But easy to ask them.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,

Question or rather clarification - when you say you'll be getting a white stone with rose gold, do you mean you are getting a colorless stone set in a rose gold setting??

I believe all the BGD settings come in your choice of metal, i.e. white gold, yellow gold, platinum. So you don't have to choose based on metal from that stand point. Choose the setting you like best.

1. I like the Grace the best. Timeless classic and will not be too blingy with the 0.80 center stone, but will be plenty sparkly and give nice presence on her finger.

2. I would stick with 0.4 ct side stones.

3. I think you could safely go down in color on the side stones regardless of your center stone color. Good to have Brian Gavin or someone at BGD advise you as he will tell you what will look the best. If a D is important to her, then by all means go for it. Having seen D, E, F, G, and H stones you will not notice the difference in color from a D to a G. Just something to consider. An F and even a G is plenty white!!

Also, it would be worth consulting with someone at BGD. They are very helpful and kind. They would be happy to answer your questions as well :).

geography36

Rough_Rock
Thanks Niel and JDDN

JDDN,

yes, I should have said the stone would be colorless, not "white" in rose gold (I had read that it is important to keep the metal in the prongs and other parts that touch the stones in a whiter metal)

It looks like the Grace is pretty popular.

Neil,

Thanks for the advice on proportions and also good to know that I should be able to change the color of the side stones as well as their size.

It looks like it is time to start talking with BGD.

Thank you both for your advice, I will talk to Brian Gavin give me his opinions as well. Also, maybe he will have some suggestions as to which metal combinations might work best for the stones.

geography36

Rough_Rock
Oh, I wanted to say that the reason for colorless is that I had heard that some Asian cultures prefer higher color grades (she and her parents came from Hong Kong when she was young)

So I wanted to play it safe and get a stone that was colorless.

Can anyone confirm this preference?

Thanks!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have never heard of that before but doesn't mean it's not true!

If you find money and inventory are limiting you, I think you could go to an F and you would still be in the colorless range.

Good luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely have heard that before. To both be safe in that regard and still not have to worry about paying for whiter stones, I'd look in the F range.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like thhe Summer for some reason. It looks like it's set lower than the Grace, and the setting is very classical.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
geography36|1432949381|3882872 said:
Oh, I wanted to say that the reason for colorless is that I had heard that some Asian cultures prefer higher color grades (she and her parents came from Hong Kong when she was young)

So I wanted to play it safe and get a stone that was colorless.

Can anyone confirm this preference?

Thanks!

I've heard that too - and on occasion we see that here on PS.

I should add that I'm half Asian, and I don't wear rose gold largely because it seems to blend into my skin. My father has some heirloom jewelry in rose gold though. (Also rich yellow gold. When my grandmother had her diamond reset for my mother, it was set in white gold. I guess that's no help whatsoever! :wink2: )

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I like the Grace better. They are both so similar with the exception of the open cathedral on the Summer. Just feel like with
3 stones that there may be too much going on with the open cathedral in the gallery area.

Sides stones...I would not go below the .4 ctw for the side stones. That's already .2, .8, .2 . Wouldnt go any lower than that.

Side stone colors...Since they are pears that can tend to show color in the tip (these are small so shouldnt be too bad) I would
not go down more than 1 to 2 color shades (personally, I would probably stick to 1 with pears). Round stones tend to hide their
color better than pear (tips) but I'm sure BGD will make sure they look lovely. Let them know your concerns.

Good luck and post pics when it's done!

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I like the thinner prongs on the Grace. Just my two cents...! Such beautiful choices - good luck!

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote for the Grace 3 Stone. I think it is just so elegant and does a great job providing finger coverage while maximizing the size of the center stone at the same time.

What an exciting time for you! Please be sure to post pics of the final product :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results