shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you prefer a 0.5ct Solasfera or 0.7ct Super Ideal H&A?

Solasfera or Super Ideal H&A?

• Solasfera 0.5 D IF

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Super Ideal H&A 0.7 G VS2

Votes: 53 96.4%

• Total voters

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you prefer a 0.5ct Solasfera or 0.7ct Super Ideal

Having been in a similar mindset myself and having gone through the process relatively recently, I would blow off any ideas of going for D IF - it's just a waste of money.

I bought F VVS2 - even looking at it through a 30x magnifier, I cannot see any visible inclusions within it - perhaps one tiiiiiiiny feather but blink and you miss it, and it's near impossible to find again. For all intents and purposes, anything VVS or better will be eye-clean even under a magnifier, unless you are a diamond expert. (IMO, of course.)

F also looks so white and clear yet also looks 'natural' - one could take the view that D is so clear/white as to look to Joe Public that it's not real, although would I have bought D if it was available and I could afford it? Probably... lol

So, colours are a personal thing - how sensitive you are to them and how much you care for the different shades being two different matters and entirely a personal choice - whereas clarity on something 5mm wide is not an issue over a good VS2, pretty much, so don't worry about it.

Don't forget, you are buying the ring as a token of your love and feelings for your lady, not as something to wave at her friends to say "Look, D IF! hah!!" in an we're-better-than-you kind of way - yes, D IF would be cool, but buy it because you like it and can afford it, not as a status symbol IMHO! :) She won't be wearing an arrow with a flashing 'D IF' on it pointing to her finger, so spend your money wisely on a F-G VVS-VS with SuperIdeal cut and it will look a million dollars all day long, and her friends won't care about the numbers, whatever they are :))

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree a D IF is a waste of money particularly if the Solasfera is a very good cut. Most people don't realise not all Solasferas are created equal some are double excellent cuts some are not. In stones that small they are very very busy looking. I like Solasferas but in larger sizes. I'd spend the money towards a larger Ideal cut RB personally.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

G-H VS2 is a sweet combo, but if I hit the lottery I'll buy a F VS1.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi MayForever

I actually dislike Solasfera cuts. Too busy and far too much going on. A Solasfera is NOT a 'better' cut than a Hearts and Arrows - it's just a different style of cut, one which I, for one, dislike. I think a H&A cut stone looks far better on the finger and I prefer the style of light return.

I agree with DancingFire - an F VS1 is a hugely premium stone - luxurious in its specs. A D IF is a waste of money, and, for my taste, a D IF Solasfera is a bit like taking my money outside and burning it. AND I'd end up with something I disliked.

So, I'd vote definitely the .7ct stone.

Keep in mind - a ring is a physical decoration, not just a concept, so it needs to look good more than it needs to scratch an idealistic itch. And .7 on a size 4 finger is definitely not large; plenty of size 4 fingers on this site with 2ct stones and above. I think a halo'd .7ct stone would look pretty without being at all overwhelming. A .5ct stone might be a bit disappointing...and perhaps not, depending on her taste. But most girls like to be able to clearly see their diamond - and while sentiment is nice, it often doesn't translate well to something she actually has to wear.

If you want to buy her 'a piece of perfection' - save it for a pendant on your first anniversary. But even then I wouldn't buy a Solasfera - just not a fan of that style of cut.

Good luck!

ETA - Just came back to add - I actually own a .46ct D VS1 stone, and there's no other way to describe it than small. I have it in a pendant, though, in a double halo, so it's fine in that style. Still not large, though.

mrfat

Rough_Rock

It's not what we would prefer but what your future fiance would prefer. If the vendor has a liberal return policy you could acquire both stones and show them to your gf and see which she likes. The ring will still be a surprise especially since you're going with a halo design.

It is very important to see the stones in person. I've viewed tons of images and videos but when you see the stones in person it's far different. Like others have said it's hard to see the patterning unless the stones are around 1.5ct or larger IMO. And even when viewed at 18-24" you can't really see it.

I'm staying around 1ct due to my budget and I'm not going with a super ideal cut. Ideal or near ideal cuts will suffice and their light performance is more important that their patterning for me.

Now, while the ring is for your future wife to enjoy others will comment on it and that can influence her feelings about it as well. I work in large corp environments and have overheard female coworkers talking about their e-rings. Carat size is always asked and draws a lot of oohs and ahhs when 2ct or over. The sparkle of the diamond also matters and is commonly raved about. Clarity or color is never really mentioned and likely hard to discern so unless they distract from the performance of the stone it doesn't really matter. Now, I'm making some generalizations here and my sample size is small(maybe 30 rings commented on) and somewhat regional as well as other biases.

Size and sparkle seem to be the two most discernable characteristics so that's the balance I'm aiming for. Also through my observations it's what my gf likes so that's the direction I'm headed.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

egemnoel|1432710833|3881660 said:
I thought the same as you until I was educated by the Pricescope forum and saved myself a lot of $$$. I also bought my diamond without seeing it as I had complete confidence in the vendor supplying the diamond. You cant go wrong with either of these three stones. In a few years time if you feel the need to upgrade to a larger stone the same vendor will offer you a lifetime trade up and credit you 100% of your original purchase price.

These stones are cut to perfection and not too far off your budget. My wife was delighted with an 1ct E VVS2.

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD6923/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD7459/?shop=yes

http://highperformancediamonds.com/shop/diamonds/HPD6894/?shop=yes

The F VS1 side by side a D IF, even the diamond experts would struggle to see the difference without their toys.

Good luck :angel:

Thanks for your recommendation, egemnoel!
I'm considering Brian Gavin Signature H&A or GOG Solasfera at this moment. But the HPD looks great too!
I'll think hard bout it

MayForever

Rough_Rock

cheucklate|1432718992|3881687 said:
I have a 1ct solasfera and even with that size, it is very hard for me to see the symmetry. specifically the distinct 10 arrows. General consensus for many is if you want solasfera, it would have to be 1.5+ to look more attractive. .5ct is very small to appreciate the real beauty.

Yea, I was initially been thought that the 10 arrows are visible through our naked eyes :doh:
Thanks for the info ya cheuklate, appreciate it so much!

MayForever

Rough_Rock

OoohShiny|1432720903|3881695 said:
Having been in a similar mindset myself and having gone through the process relatively recently, I would blow off any ideas of going for D IF - it's just a waste of money.

I bought F VVS2 - even looking at it through a 30x magnifier, I cannot see any visible inclusions within it - perhaps one tiiiiiiiny feather but blink and you miss it, and it's near impossible to find again. For all intents and purposes, anything VVS or better will be eye-clean even under a magnifier, unless you are a diamond expert. (IMO, of course.)

F also looks so white and clear yet also looks 'natural' - one could take the view that D is so clear/white as to look to Joe Public that it's not real, although would I have bought D if it was available and I could afford it? Probably... lol

So, colours are a personal thing - how sensitive you are to them and how much you care for the different shades being two different matters and entirely a personal choice - whereas clarity on something 5mm wide is not an issue over a good VS2, pretty much, so don't worry about it.

Don't forget, you are buying the ring as a token of your love and feelings for your lady, not as something to wave at her friends to say "Look, D IF! hah!!" in an we're-better-than-you kind of way - yes, D IF would be cool, but buy it because you like it and can afford it, not as a status symbol IMHO! :) She won't be wearing an arrow with a flashing 'D IF' on it pointing to her finger, so spend your money wisely on a F-G VVS-VS with SuperIdeal cut and it will look a million dollars all day long, and her friends won't care about the numbers, whatever they are :))

OoohShiny, I think many guys going through the initial thoughts like me, trying to stretch out getting the best D IF. Somehow I know the fact that it's just a piece of paper without able to appreciate through naked eyes but it's just a mind thingy.

I did notice some yellowish on some G grade diamond (but that's not by GIA or AGS) at some B&M store. But I believe G should be just fine, hopefully.

lol I agreed what you said on your last phrase. But guys are always been practical. It's like, I don't even care what branded items I own but the girls might do. Reason of creating a poll is also trying to see how other thinks although ultimately is what she thinks that matters. But really thanks for the rationalization. It's glad to have all the suggestion from PSer and I think at this moment of time, the poll and the answer somehow tells pretty obvious what should I go for =)

MayForever

Rough_Rock

arkieb1|1432735636|3881774 said:
I agree a D IF is a waste of money particularly if the Solasfera is a very good cut. Most people don't realise not all Solasferas are created equal some are double excellent cuts some are not. In stones that small they are very very busy looking. I like Solasferas but in larger sizes. I'd spend the money towards a larger Ideal cut RB personally.

Thanks arkieb1! That's what I'm thinking wondering about the quality of Solasfera since its cut by the same company. It makes me thinking whether their quality remain the same excellent cut or not. Anyway, buying too small a solasfera perhaps might not be a good idea though like what the others said.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

Dancing Fire|1432736325|3881781 said:
G-H VS2 is a sweet combo, but if I hit the lottery I'll buy a F VS1.

lol if I strike the lottery, I'll consider increase the carat size! I'll love to have D VS2. Personally, I don't really bother bout clarity. I might a little color sensitive but since it's on a halo setting and we normally look at the diamond on the face up view, I think G will be good to go :))

MayForever

Rough_Rock

mrs-blop|1432740642|3881815 said:
Hi MayForever

I actually dislike Solasfera cuts. Too busy and far too much going on. A Solasfera is NOT a 'better' cut than a Hearts and Arrows - it's just a different style of cut, one which I, for one, dislike. I think a H&A cut stone looks far better on the finger and I prefer the style of light return.

I agree with DancingFire - an F VS1 is a hugely premium stone - luxurious in its specs. A D IF is a waste of money, and, for my taste, a D IF Solasfera is a bit like taking my money outside and burning it. AND I'd end up with something I disliked.

So, I'd vote definitely the .7ct stone.

Keep in mind - a ring is a physical decoration, not just a concept, so it needs to look good more than it needs to scratch an idealistic itch. And .7 on a size 4 finger is definitely not large; plenty of size 4 fingers on this site with 2ct stones and above. I think a halo'd .7ct stone would look pretty without being at all overwhelming. A .5ct stone might be a bit disappointing...and perhaps not, depending on her taste. But most girls like to be able to clearly see their diamond - and while sentiment is nice, it often doesn't translate well to something she actually has to wear.

If you want to buy her 'a piece of perfection' - save it for a pendant on your first anniversary. But even then I wouldn't buy a Solasfera - just not a fan of that style of cut.

Good luck!

ETA - Just came back to add - I actually own a .46ct D VS1 stone, and there's no other way to describe it than small. I have it in a pendant, though, in a double halo, so it's fine in that style. Still not large, though.

Thank you, mrs-blop! I remembering hearing my gf likes the "color sparkle", makes me wondering if solasfera might be the one she likes. But I guess super ideal H&A should be the one I should opt for. Unfortunately, I'm too for away to inspect the solasfera & super ideal H&A by myself side by side. I can only presume it through the video that has been shown around.

lol I like hearing from the ladies perspective. Maybe you're right, "most girls like to be able to clearly see their diamond". Perhaps a bigger diamond is a little better than decrease it's size for solasfera though. Thanks for the enlightenment, mrs-blop!

MayForever

Rough_Rock

mrfat|1432744633|3881844 said:
It's not what we would prefer but what your future fiance would prefer. If the vendor has a liberal return policy you could acquire both stones and show them to your gf and see which she likes. The ring will still be a surprise especially since you're going with a halo design.

It is very important to see the stones in person. I've viewed tons of images and videos but when you see the stones in person it's far different. Like others have said it's hard to see the patterning unless the stones are around 1.5ct or larger IMO. And even when viewed at 18-24" you can't really see it.

I'm staying around 1ct due to my budget and I'm not going with a super ideal cut. Ideal or near ideal cuts will suffice and their light performance is more important that their patterning for me.

Now, while the ring is for your future wife to enjoy others will comment on it and that can influence her feelings about it as well. I work in large corp environments and have overheard female coworkers talking about their e-rings. Carat size is always asked and draws a lot of oohs and ahhs when 2ct or over. The sparkle of the diamond also matters and is commonly raved about. Clarity or color is never really mentioned and likely hard to discern so unless they distract from the performance of the stone it doesn't really matter. Now, I'm making some generalizations here and my sample size is small(maybe 30 rings commented on) and somewhat regional as well as other biases.

Size and sparkle seem to be the two most discernable characteristics so that's the balance I'm aiming for. Also through my observations it's what my gf likes so that's the direction I'm headed.

Hi mrfat! Well, the option left is only asking myself or the public though I know is what she prefers but not me or anyone else. I love to go through the process of picking up the diamond with her, design the ring with her and having it set perfectly ( which how I normally ask for her opinion before buying her something ) but this will not work particularly for a surprise like this, unfortunately. And as I live quite far from US, it is almost unlikely that I'll acquire the stone and pick one and return the other. I don't feel fair to the vendor though, although they do not mind.

But mrfat, you observation should be right I believe, Other see the carat 1st, follow by the cut. (Although Cut is always the king).I think after so many kind thought from PSer, I somehow notice that buying solasfera at a small carat like this will not be appreciated through naked eyes. And even if they would, it might not be a significant difference.

Anyway, good luck in your search too, mrfat! I trust you should be able to get a nice 1ct ring ;))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would go for the lower color (not below G) and bigger size as long as it is eye clean Save the D- IF for a step cut (i.e. your anniversary or b-day present) ;-) .

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MayForever|1432774133|3882043 said:
I remembering hearing my gf likes the "color sparkle", makes me wondering if solasfera might be the one she likes. But I guess super ideal H&A should be the one I should opt for. Unfortunately, I'm too for away to inspect the solasfera & super ideal H&A by myself side by side. I can only presume it through the video that has been shown around.

"Color sparkle" is probably referring to fire as opposed to brilliance. Solasferas are cut to be more brilliant, whereas an ideal h&a will have more fire by comparison. So if it's "color sparkle" that she wants, go for a super ideal.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

distracts|1432884860|3882600 said:
I remembering hearing my gf likes the "color sparkle", makes me wondering if solasfera might be the one she likes. But I guess super ideal H&A should be the one I should opt for. Unfortunately, I'm too for away to inspect the solasfera & super ideal H&A by myself side by side. I can only presume it through the video that has been shown around.

"Color sparkle" is probably referring to fire as opposed to brilliance. Solasferas are cut to be more brilliant, whereas an ideal h&a will have more fire by comparison. So if it's "color sparkle" that she wants, go for a super ideal.
+1 to this comment!

FWIW, I bought a Crafted by Infinity stone from Wink / High Performance Diamonds - I can literally waste an hour staring at it, playing with it under different lighting conditions to see the rainbow of colours it throws out while still beaming out the white light return :sun: I posted quite a few pictures in the couple of threads I've started, so if you have a search for them (I think you can search my content if you click on my name on the left) then it might help inform your decision :))

Personally speaking, I think F is the perfect colour if you have the budget to get one in your desired size/clarity specs - I see literally zero yellow tint in it from all angles on my lady's hand, only when side-by-side with some D-colour CZ is any slight difference obvious, and at that point the D looks a bit 'sterile', like it has no 'character' - so I think you would be safe/best to go for F if you are worried! 'Mind-clean' issues are seemingly silly when it is eye-clean, but it is the mental thing :lol: lol

I can only recommend Wink, he will ship a stone out to you for inspection with zero hassles and I bet you don't want to return it when you've seen how it performs compared to all the average cuts you see in shop windows! Alternatively, if you are in Europe, you might even be able to meet with the core CBI team themselves in Belgium - take a day off work, fly in in the morning and back later in the day, your lady will never know and you will come back with a cracker of a stone :)

egemnoel

Shiny_Rock

OoohShiny|1432890567|3882609 said:

+1 to this comment!

FWIW, I bought a Crafted by Infinity stone from Wink / High Performance Diamonds - I can literally waste an hour staring at it, playing with it under different lighting conditions to see the rainbow of colours it throws out while still beaming out the white light return :sun: I posted quite a few pictures in the couple of threads I've started, so if you have a search for them (I think you can search my content if you click on my name on the left) then it might help inform your decision :))

Personally speaking, I think F is the perfect colour if you have the budget to get one in your desired size/clarity specs - I see literally zero yellow tint in it from all angles on my lady's hand, only when side-by-side with some D-colour CZ is any slight difference obvious, and at that point the D looks a bit 'sterile', like it has no 'character' - so I think you would be safe/best to go for F if you are worried! 'Mind-clean' issues are seemingly silly when it is eye-clean, but it is the mental thing :lol: lol

I can only recommend Wink, he will ship a stone out to you for inspection with zero hassles and I bet you don't want to return it when you've seen how it performs compared to all the average cuts you see in shop windows! Alternatively, if you are in Europe, you might even be able to meet with the core CBI team themselves in Belgium - take a day off work, fly in in the morning and back later in the day, your lady will never know and you will come back with a cracker of a stone :)

I 100% agree with this. Crafted By Infinity is like buying a Pagani Zonda - you deal with the guy cutting the stone who is involved from choosing the rough to crafting the diamond. Later on you have a choice of 100% upgrade or 80% buy back (if you needed to sell) and a stone cut to perfection. Use Wink see it to believe it that's is the best way and go can compare other diamonds.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rstyle

Rough_Rock

I'm too novice so I'm not casting a vote. But I've got some interest in those Solasfera cutting as well.

Would be interested to see what people think about two otherwise similar stones, one H&A, one Solasfera (same cut quality, large enough).

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

rstyle|1432914986|3882677 said:
I'm too novice so I'm not casting a vote. But I've got some interest in those Solasfera cutting as well.

Would be interested to see what people think about two otherwise similar stones, one H&A, one Solasfera (same cut quality, large enough).

It'll likely come down to personal preference on the patterning if all others things are near equal.

MayForever

Rough_Rock

lambskin|1432776713|3882056 said:
I would go for the lower color (not below G) and bigger size as long as it is eye clean Save the D- IF for a step cut (i.e. your anniversary or b-day present) ;-) .

Thank you, lambskin! I think G/F - VS1/2 should be good i guess :)

MayForever

Rough_Rock

Sorry, a little confuse with the fire and brilliance lol
I was initially thinking that Solasfera will give a more fire than H&A though
Thanks for your info, distracts!

MayForever

Rough_Rock

I arison. So if it's "color sparkle" that she wants, go for a super ideal.
+1 to this comment!

OoohShiny, I loled when I read through your post! You were so excited with your Rock, I guess you love it more than your another half do
lol I can't imagine how excited I'm too if the rock is delivered to me too.
I'm no where near UK though unfortunately, so I wouldn't be able to visit Antwerp or Belgium although I wish I could.
F is a great color, you've got a great choice there.
You've got a beautiful CBI diamond, so tempting :appl:

I'll try to look around HPD in a while, but I'm quite impress with BGD. With an open mind, I'll try to look WF & GOG too, hopefully can get something nice there :)

MayForever

Rough_Rock

egemnoel|1432893843|3882614 said:

+1 to this comment!

I 100% agree with this. Crafted By Infinity is like buying a Pagani Zonda - you deal with the guy cutting the stone who is involved from choosing the rough to crafting the diamond. Later on you have a choice of 100% upgrade or 80% buy back (if you needed to sell) and a stone cut to perfection. Use Wink see it to believe it that's is the best way and go can compare other diamonds.

Wow, looks impressive. It's nice to know that we can go through that kind of process. But the upgrade and buy back policy I guess I've seen it from BGD, WH & GOG too right?

MayForever

Rough_Rock

OoohShiny|1432904658|3882638 said:

Oh Ya, I noticed that your parcel includes the ideal scope and those stuff. They giving you for free ?
I was thinking whether I should buy an ASET or Idelascope to look at the diamond

MayForever

Rough_Rock

rstyle|1432914986|3882677 said:

rstyle, I think from the results of polling and the feedback, I notice that most people prefers Super Ideal H&A. That also subject to how large your diamond is. If it's more than 1.5 carat, maybe the vote for Solasfera might increase.

The problem is, when we talk about individual taste, you must really compare both side by side I guess. Although there are so many video posting around with the side by side comparison like the video I shown below, I think our eyes might not be able to capture the sparkle like how the video shows. I'm not trying to say the video looks deceiving, but from my observation at some B&M shops, even when I look at Heart on Fire, is really a little difficult to notice the black arrow clearly. So to even notice a 8 H&A is that difficult, I believe 10 H&A might be even worst.

h
**edited by moderator, no personal video websites please**

Part of a reason why I consider solasfera is also bout the 10 H&A shape. I was trying to be smart, thinking if I could get a diamond with 10 arrow set on a halo setting ( with 10 nos of diamond melees, each arrow of the Solasfera pointing towards each diamonds melees ) but I'm quite doubtful that it might even visible. Even if it could, for the small diamond that I'm looking, we might really need a little more concentration to look at it though :shifty:

Well, I guess I might need to stick to 8 H&A for this moment.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MayForever|1432950603|3882883 said:
OoohShiny|1432904658|3882638 said:

Oh Ya, I noticed that your parcel includes the ideal scope and those stuff. They giving you for free ?
I was thinking whether I should buy an ASET or Idelascope to look at the diamond

Wink includes a 10x loupe, ASET, Idealscope, and Hearts and Arrows viewer with his See It to Believe it program so that you can properly inspect a diamond. If you buy the diamond they are yours to keep, otherwise, I believe you have to return them if you return the diamond.

Like OoohShiny and egemnoel, I also highly recommend Wink and Crafted By Infinity.
For myself, I had them Cut to Order a diamond for me.
I met with them, told them what I wanted, and they cut it. The story of that can be found here:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-21-ct-f-si1-cto-crafted-by-infinity-in-a-vatche-serenity.208630/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2-21-ct-f-si1-cto-crafted-by-infinity-in-a-vatche-serenity.208630/[/URL]

Good luck with your search.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MayForever|1432949148|3882869 said:
I arison. So if it's "color sparkle" that she wants, go for a super ideal.
+1 to this comment!

OoohShiny, I loled when I read through your post! You were so excited with your Rock, I guess you love it more than your another half do
lol I can't imagine how excited I'm too if the rock is delivered to me too.
I'm no where near UK though unfortunately, so I wouldn't be able to visit Antwerp or Belgium although I wish I could.
F is a great color, you've got a great choice there.
You've got a beautiful CBI diamond, so tempting :appl:

I'll try to look around HPD in a while, but I'm quite impress with BGD. With an open mind, I'll try to look WF & GOG too, hopefully can get something nice there :)
haha :D I do like the shinies, it's true, I am a bit of a magpie :tongue:

I think all of the recommended vendors will be able to supply something to your satisfaction so do check out your options :)

MayForever

Rough_Rock

Thank you very much, ladies & gentlemen!

Its nice to have people like you guys. I love learning every single bit from here. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results