shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on CADs?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
So, I'm in the process of a ring project, and I've just received some updated CADs. It looks good to me, but I would LOVE your expert thoughts and feedback. The stone is a natural alexandrite oval. This was my inspiration ring:

shank2.jpg

These are the first CADs I received:

jennifer_ko.png
ring_collage.jpg

After receiving those, I had asked for a more delicate halo and the marquise shaped design on the shank. I just got these updated CADs today:

jennifer_ko_2.png
ring2_73.jpg

I like it! But, is there anything I should be looking for, concerned about, or ask about before I give the OK to start the next process?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Are you wanting it to sit flush with a band?

To be honest, I kind of worry about the connection from the halo to the shoulders. There is barely anything holding the halo to the band, without any support underneath. A good bump or getting caught on fabric or something else could potentially break or weaken that metal, and the halo and stone would be gone.

What kind of metal is it going to be?

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
This is why I love this forum! I'm such a newbie, I didn't even think of or notice that!

Yes, I do want it to sit flush to a band and had specifically mentioned that. It is going to be in 14k white gold. Is there something I could add or some sort of easy fix that might make it stronger?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the 2nd set just has the head floating there which IMO isn't a good idea.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
girlyglam|1432663449|3881343 said:
This is why I love this forum! I'm such a newbie, I didn't even think of or notice that!

Yes, I do want it to sit flush to a band and had specifically mentioned that. It is going to be in 14k white gold. Is there something I could add or some sort of easy fix that might make it stronger?
Disclaimer: I do not own or sell the following rings have had no part in the production of them. They are the result of a Google search, though I believe one belongs to PS member Gypsy.

So I picked these rings because they have a basket/supports that go from the top of the shank up to the halo, lending support from underneath as well. If the halo didn't connect to the very smallest part of the marquise shapes, I wouldn't be as concerned, but that's really a very small amount of metal to hold it all together!

ETA: the basket/supports sitting on top of the shank is key - it still allows a band to sit flush underneath.

halo_support.jpg

halo_support2.jpg

halo_support3.jpg

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much! I've emailed them to ask them to add a basket/support under the halo. I greatly appreciate you noticing that!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure I would want to work with a designer who isn't aware that the design he/she drafted is structurally unsound. The job of the designer isn't only to design and draft, but also to make sure the design can stand up to normal wear and tear.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I'm working with DiamondZone who seems to have gotten pretty good feedback from what I've read on here. They actually just got back to me, and they "would advise against putting these extra support arches in the ring because it will take away from the rings elegance and sleek design. The shank itself is sturdy and you will not have to worry about bangs or bumps distorting the ring. We make sure that these designs are not just creative, but realistic when discussing support and durability."

I pushed back a bit and explained that my concerns were with the small amount of metal connecting the head/halo to the shank, especially since this is going to be a ring worn everyday. I asked to see CADs with the added support and then make a decision from there, so now I'm waiting on those. To be continued...

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Ok, so here are the new CADs:

jennifer_ko_3.png

ring3_42.jpg

I think the added support is good, and if nothing else, it gives me a bit more piece of mind. I don't think it takes away from the overall look or design, but is there anything I should be concerned about regarding whether or not the added support under the halo will take away or affect the performance of the stone? The stone is going to be a natural alexandrite.

Is there anything else in this design I should be concerned about?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can the diamond halo be slightly tilted so that you see some bit of sparkle from the side view, instead of a flying saucer look?
Also, the support struts look very stark and straight. I would prefer them slightly bowed like the example pictures, which flows better with the softer curves of the design.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Hi Chrono - I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the diamond halo being slightly tilted...would you mind explaining?

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
girlyglam|1432758897|3881942 said:
Hi Chrono - I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the diamond halo being slightly tilted...would you mind explaining?
I'm with Chrono on curving the supports.

The tilting has to do with the angles of the halo stones and how they are set in the metal. As is, the tables of the halo diamonds are completely flat. With the slight tilt she mentioned, the diamonds would be set into the metal at a slight angle, tilting away from the center stone. It tends to give a more upscale look IMHO.

Here are two examples, one with a little tilt, one without. (again, I had nothing to do with these, just found them on Google image search.)

Hope this helps.

halo_no_tilt.jpg

halo_tilt.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ElleW|1432769939|3882014 said:
The tilting has to do with the angles of the halo stones and how they are set in the metal. As is, the tables of the halo diamonds are completely flat. With the slight tilt she mentioned, the diamonds would be set into the metal at a slight angle, tilting away from the center stone. It tends to give a more upscale look IMHO.
+1. Thanks, Freke!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Such a helpful explanation...thanks so much Chrono & ElleW!!!

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
I got the new CADs today...thoughts?

jennifer_ko_4.png

rin4.jpg

I like the slight tilt of the halo a lot...thank you for that suggestion! I had also asked them about curving the supports underneath the halo. They recommended a curve inward, rather than out away from the stone, because they said curving the supports away from the stone would make it look bulky. I would love to hear your input, especially since everyone has been so helpful already!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last set is soooooo much better, more secure and very femme. are you leaving plain or getting milgraine?

redroze1

Shiny_Rock
Love the latest cads. I also love the milgrain on the shank, and would echo the same milgrain on the halo to match and give it an antique feel.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great new CAD's! Elegant but secure.
The milgrain is beautiful and I would apply it to the halo as well.

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all! I had actually planned on leaving the halo without the milgrain because I didn't love it in the first set of CADs. But, now that we've gone through some changes, I actually am interested in seeing what it would look like with the milgrain on the halo again, so I've just requested to see that. I feel bad because I've asked for so many edits/modifications from the first set of CADs...I feel sure they must be getting SO annoyed at me! But, I would never have even known to what to ask for if it were not for this forum, and I feel infinitely better and more in love with the ring, so I thank you all so much!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ask them if they can do U shaped brace. See lower right picture.

rin4.jpg

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would ask if the milgrain would be a result of the CAD and casting or if it will be cast smooth and then hand applied. Milgrain from casting will be larger and more bead-like, while milgrain by hand should be smaller, finer and more of a slight texture. In other words, there is a pretty big difference between the two.

I don't know that any pictures showing the difference are out there, and I cannot post my own items, otherwise I'd show you what I mean with the differences.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally am not a fan of mixing pave styles. If you're going to bead set the shank the halo should be bead set too. This is the type of pave that would allow you to millgrain the edges. So I would ask for that and millgrain it, like in your original cad.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I was actually hoping for a picture displaying the difference between the two, in one picture. Let me see if I can ask Andrey/Ella if I can take one and post it to help display some differences.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Ella said it would be ok. Yellow gold is CAD produced milgrain, white gold is hand done milgrain.

milgrain_comparison.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results