shape
carat
color
clarity

Pricescopers, sleuthing skills needed!

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
So my plan was to buy a setting from David Klass, and while I'm sure I would be happy with the eventual results, his communication has been pretty crappy, and I'd really like to have a finished ring before my bday (end of july). Given that we havent even started CADs, that's unlikely to happen with him, when I wait days or even over a week in between messages. So I'm thinking that I'm just going to buy a ready made setting online, and I need some help finding something I like. I just want to be engaged already!!

Here are my requirements:
-budget - $850
-setting needs to be nickel free and white (preferably palladium, as platinum is out of our budget except in rare circumstances)
-for a round stone (.69)
-very thin, half round shank (2mm or less preferably)
-cathedral setting
-traditional from top down view, but something interesting including diamonds from profile view. I don't want a ring that looks exactly like a million other cathedral solitaires.

I've been looking at ArtCarved a lot bc I love that they have so many styles in palladium, but all of their rings are just a little too "off" for me. Either I'll love them from the top, and from the side theyre totally plain, or I'll like them from the side, but from the top their too thick or too inventive.

Please help guys! We started this ring search back in March, and never in a million years did I think it would take this long !!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe check out Brian Gavin Diamonds. They have a lot of different solitaire styles and if it's a BGD design they will modify it for you. Ie, if you like the design but want a slightly thinner shank they can accommodate that. They list palladium as a metal they carry but not in all the styles. You could always ask if they'll do it in palladium. However, the palladium wasn't significantly cheaper than platinum.

Whiteflash will set a loose stone, so check out their styles too. Not sure if they work with palladium.

Hm, $850 is a tight budget though. Will post more if I think of anything.

What about Palladium alloy white gold? I don't think it needs to be rhodium plated so that's a big bonus. Not sure the cost though….

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
JDDN|1432737837|3881797 said:
Maybe check out Brian Gavin Diamonds. They have a lot of different solitaire styles and if it's a BGD design they will modify it for you. Ie, if you like the design but want a slightly thinner shank they can accommodate that. They list palladium as a metal they carry but not in all the styles. You could always ask if they'll do it in palladium. However, the palladium wasn't significantly cheaper than platinum.

Whiteflash will set a loose stone, so check out their styles too. Not sure if they work with palladium.

Hm, $850 is a tight budget though. Will post more if I think of anything.

What about Palladium alloy white gold? I don't think it needs to be rhodium plated so that's a big bonus. Not sure the cost though….

I'm fine with a nickel free alloy, as long as they'll offer full protection in case I still have an allergic reaction...

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I've ever heard of a vendor giving a money back guarantee in case of allergic reaction...particularly since things could seem fine at first for you (if the nickel contamination was very, very low) and then develop over time.

If time is an issue, then I would maybe go for a very simple setting in platinum that meets your budget. I also see several simple options in platinum or palladium from Brian Gavin for under $1000.

And Ritani has this cathedral with surprise diamonds in palladium for $890-

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...ring-with-surprise-diamonds-in-palladium/6341

You would need to inquire about thinness of the shank.

David is busy and likely preparing for JCK, which may explain why you aren't getting as quick communication as you would like right now. He does in my experience have fantastic turn around time between final CAD approval and your piece being created. If he has committed to your end of July timeline request then I would trust him on it even if things seem slow right now. However the custom process does take time and patience, and isn't a good fit for everyone. Good luck!

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
EvangelineG|1432746220|3881857 said:
I don't think I've ever heard of a vendor giving a money back guarantee in case of allergic reaction...particularly since things could seem fine at first for you (if the nickel contamination was very, very low) and then develop over time.

If time is an issue, then I would maybe go for a very simple setting in platinum that meets your budget. I also see several simple options in platinum or palladium from Brian Gavin for under $1000.

And Ritani has this cathedral with surprise diamonds in palladium for $890-

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...ring-with-surprise-diamonds-in-palladium/6341

You would need to inquire about thinness of the shank.

David is busy and likely preparing for JCK, which may explain why you aren't getting as quick communication as you would like right now. He does in my experience have fantastic turn around time between final CAD approval and your piece being created. If he has committed to your end of July timeline request then I would trust him on it even if things seem slow right now. However the custom process does take time and patience, and isn't a good fit for everyone. Good luck!

I've seen that ritani setting, but it's far too thick for me.

Yeah, he hasn't committed to any time line, and honestly, even waiting til the end of july seems like an awful long time. He told me in the first email i got from him that a ring would take 29 days, but that was based on an estimation of what I would want, and that hasnt even been nailed down yet. If every question I have regarding design takes a week to answer, Im in for a long wait.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand your frustration, especially since you had a bit of a false start back in March with another vendor. It must feel like forever!

My honest advice would be to let go of time expectations if you can. There is a chance that you and DK could go through several CAD versions once you get going, a possibility that it could take more than one wax, and even that the final ring could need tweaking. Since you are not sitting down face to face and hashing this out in one session, it can take quite a bit of emails back and forth, and time.

There are things you can do to expedite the process. Getting your thoughts on what you want completely organized before you start the process, having detailed visuals to pass along (such as photos with notations or sketches) and asking questions here so that you can clarify terms and expectations will all help it to go quicker and easier. You may have already done all that- the bottom line is DK is super busy because he produces excellent quality for the prices he charges, and you may not get the communication or turn around time you are hoping for.

If you can't be flexible with your timeline you are back to searching for something ready made or going with a different custom vendor. As the PP said $850 is a tight budget for what you are looking for, but I am sure not impossible.

There is this one from Blue Nile-

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-...-ring-platinum_25663?elem=title&track=product

No surprise stones, but you could consider bringing the unique element in with your wedding band. Hopefully others can sleuth out something for you with all the elements you are hoping for.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No one is going to offer "full protection" against your potential allergic reactions. It is a bit unreasonable, especially at your price point. The only metals that iare totally hypoallergenic are surgical steel and titanium. Platinum allergies are rare, but have occurred. if a simple platinum solitaire doesn't suit you, just be patient. In the long run you will be far happier.

Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results