shape
carat
color
clarity

When is the right time?

PanAnna

Rough_Rock
My husband and I were engaged in 1989 and we were married in 1992. In 18 months (give or take), we will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.

When we got engaged, my husband was a senior in high school and I was a freshman in college (high school sweethearts). All he could afford at that time was a 1/4 carat round in a 6-prong 14K YG setting from McRae's Dept. Store. I've worn it for 26 years or so. I have no idea what it was graded although I'm sure it was not great. It has represented our relationship proudly, however, and it does have a lot of sentimental value.

My husband has given me a green light on purchasing a new *engagement* ring for our 25th and I want this to be my last hurrah with e-rings (although I do realize after reading countless threads here on PS that is easier said than done).

With about 18 months until our anniversary, when is the right time to start the process?

I *think* I would like a MRB, H/I color, VS2/SI1, ideal or XXX cut, as close to 2 carats as possible set in an ERD/BE Auden platinum setting. I absolutely love momhappy's ERD e-ring and I think the Auden setting will work well for me as they are similar to my eyes.

I can't imagine that I am color sensitive since I have been happy with my little diamond ring but I know I need to find this out for sure. My ring size is about a 6 to 6.25, which has remained the same since we first got engaged so I think I will need close to 2 carats to get good finger coverage based on the little fingers all you PSers seem to have.

I'd love to get some exposure to diamonds in the real world but I live in the panhandle of Florida and there are not a lot of big cities nearby so I'm not sure about availability on the local level to good quality diamonds. Is it okay to go look at diamonds knowing full well you might not actually purchase from a local store?

We'd like to spend about $15K on the center stone and then have the added cost of the setting and a wedding band on top of that.

I haven't contacted ERD/BE yet because I'm not sure of the right timing but I would love to see more pics than what they have available for the Auden setting. I've searched here and not found anything about that setting and a google search in general has not yielded anything for the Auden setting either.

Am I rushing things? I tend to slow play big decisions and try to research to the nth degree. I'm having a wonderful time learning about diamonds from all of you. It's a whole new world to me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have on the best way to proceed.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I would contact the vendor who makes the setting you like and tell the what you are looking for. Where you have the time you can tell them to wait for the right stone at the right price. Sometimes people get lucky and find what they want right away other times they have had to be patient.

If you can I would also suggest a field trip to a jewelry store just to play and try things on to make sure this is the look you like since this will be you FOREVER ring.

I know that I have been SURE I wanted some thing (for me it was a OEC 5 stone) but when I tried on a 5 stone with round stones I just didn't like how that looked on my hand and decided I need to go in aa different direction.

I know i would never buy from a B&M store i think my money goes further online but I do need to go in to try and get a visual of what looks good on.

Good luck
:bigsmile:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always feel guilty taking up staff time in shops when I know I'm not going to actually buy anything, but staff must expect it to a certain degree.

Personally I just go with the line "I'm not in the position to buy anything at the moment but I've been thinking about XXX - would it be possible to look at a few to see what is available, what I might prefer and what I need to budget for?" and that usually is greeted with 'Ok, let's see what we have'.

As long as one is open and honest and isn't sitting there for two hours while the shop is rammed with people looking to actually buy on a saturday afternoon, I don't think any sales assistant would be able to pick fault with that approach - you both know where you stand and it can be just a pleasant exploration for both of you, and I think most of us would take away a good experience and share it with our friends and colleagues, so good customer service will extend beyond being nice to you for a short period of time while there's not much else happening in the shop. :))

unsettled

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I always feel so guilty about wasting the time of sales associates too. But I have to try on things in real life to get an idea of what I am looking for. And I do as a previous poster said. I always say "I am beginning my search for X, and would love to see my options." If you found the RIGHT thing, are you open to buying before your actual anniversary? If so, I think you can start looking. For me, I would likely start around 6 months before I for sure wanted my piece finished.

PanAnna

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information. I'm not surprised that I'm trying to start the process too early. I don't know that I would want to try to get the process done too soon and then have to wait sooooo long before I get it for our 25th. I'm very excited. I just need to reign it in.

We do have a local jewelry store that my husband bought my diamond studs from. I think I'll start there since I know they have made some money off us in the past and I'll try to go when they are not busy. I'm willing to let the local store quote me for a diamond as long as it meets the criteria I have read here (HCA, IdealScope, ASET) but I have a feeling they won't be able to compete with the online PS vendors. My concern is that there won't be a big selection and I wonder if they'll have GIA or AGS graded stones. I won't know though until I go.

I'm really thankful for this forum. I have learned so much and I hope you all won't mind more questions in the future. I'm trying to answer the questions I have by doing research first rather than ask something that may be repetitive.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Last year I got a new wedding set in celebration of a big birthday that was coming up and I started seriously looking about six months out. First I went to local jewelers to try on rings to help me decide what I wanted. I simply told them I was planning to upgrade in the future, but was just looking at this point. It really helped me determine that I wanted a simple Tiffany style solitaire in the 2.5 carat range. Selection of diamonds in that size was very limited at jewelry stores and I had my best luck at Tiffany's. Then I chose four online retailers that I was comfortable with who specialize in super ideal cuts and I started watching their inventory on a regular basis. About two months after I started my search Brian Gavin Diamonds had a promotion that offered favorable pricing on a stone that was exactly what I was looking for and I made my purchase. They were great to work with and I am very pleased with the end result. While I didn't buy from Tiffany's, I did end up getting a diamond wedding band from them. I think it is a great idea to shop around locally and do research on Pricescope way before your anniversary, but I wouldn't get vendors too involved until a time when you would be prepared to make a purchase. Good luck and have fun with the process!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1432662711|3881325 said:
Last year I got a new wedding set in celebration of a big birthday that was coming up and I started seriously looking about six months out. First I went to local jewelers to try on rings to help me decide what I wanted. I simply told them I was planning to upgrade in the future, but was just looking at this point. It really helped me determine that I wanted a simple Tiffany style solitaire in the 2.5 carat range. Selection of diamonds in that size was very limited at jewelry stores and I had my best luck at Tiffany's. Then I chose four online retailers that I was comfortable with who specialize in super ideal cuts and I started watching their inventory on a regular basis. About two months after I started my search Brian Gavin Diamonds had a promotion that offered favorable pricing on a stone that was exactly what I was looking for and I made my purchase. They were great to work with and I am very pleased with the end result. While I didn't buy from Tiffany's, I did end up getting a diamond wedding band from them. I think it is a great idea to shop around locally and do research on Pricescope way before your anniversary, but I wouldn't get vendors too involved until a time when you would be prepared to make a purchase. Good luck and have fun with the process!
How BIG?.. :devil: :bigsmile:

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
I understand feeling guilty about taking up the sales associate's time, and I have before too. However it is no different than going to a car dealership to see the new models and possibly test drive. It is an essential part of the process and they expect people to come in "kicking tires". Also every time you walk through a B&M store door you are giving them an opportunity to sell to you- if they can provide you with quality goods and great service at competitive prices you would buy from them, and if they can't then it is ok to walk away. You get an opportunity to look and they got an opportunity to sell, you are not doing anything wrong.

I would start looking now! This is the fun part! :appl: Try on all different styles of rings, and any cuts of diamonds you are interested in. See what 2c looks like on your finger. It may be a big surprise after 0.25c! (my original e-ring was that size too) Ask to compare GIA or AGS graded diamonds in different colour and cut grades side by side, and try to find a store near you that carries a super ideal brand of diamonds like Hearts on Fire, so you can see how the top cuts measure up in your eyes. Have fun!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1432713601|3881674 said:

DF, your naughty score just went up. :naughty: :mrgreen:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say it's never too early to research and shop around.
The diamond and the ring safaris can take a long time.

Also, I think price are more likely to go up than down ... if so, then the sooner you buy the less you'll pay.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1432752769|3881893 said:
Dancing Fire|1432713601|3881674 said:

DF, your naughty score just went up. :naughty: :mrgreen:

I am even older than you DF!!!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PanAnna|1432658153|3881280 said:
We do have a local jewelry store that my husband bought my diamond studs from. I think I'll start there since I know they have made some money off us in the past and I'll try to go when they are not busy. I'm willing to let the local store quote me for a diamond as long as it meets the criteria I have read here (HCA, IdealScope, ASET) but I have a feeling they won't be able to compete with the online PS vendors. My concern is that there won't be a big selection and I wonder if they'll have GIA or AGS graded stones. I won't know though until I go.

Your local store is incredibly unlikely to have heard of HCA, Idealscope, or ASET. Basically the only places that know about these things are all mentioned on this forum. I live in a big city and have never encountered any jewelers who know about that except those who are on Pricescope. If you get the report numbers you can run the stone through the HCA yourself. You can also purchase an idealscope or ASET if you are super-serious about looking at stuff in person.

Is there any time you will be near a Tiffany or Cartier or someplace like that? They have a wider selection in the cases than most jewelry stores and their cut quality is pretty good.

PanAnna

Rough_Rock
distracts|1432883784|3882596 said:
PanAnna|1432658153|3881280 said:

Your local store is incredibly unlikely to have heard of HCA, Idealscope, or ASET. Basically the only places that know about these things are all mentioned on this forum. I live in a big city and have never encountered any jewelers who know about that except those who are on Pricescope. If you get the report numbers you can run the stone through the HCA yourself. You can also purchase an idealscope or ASET if you are super-serious about looking at stuff in person.

Is there any time you will be near a Tiffany or Cartier or someplace like that? They have a wider selection in the cases than most jewelry stores and their cut quality is pretty good.

It is possible that I might get to Orlando or Tampa some time later this year. It looks like there is a Tiffany's in both Orlando and Tampa.

I do realize that the local jewelry store will probably not know those things. That's why I said it had to meet the criteria I've learned about here on PS and that I wasn't sure if they'll even have GIA or AGS graded stones (much less the other criteria) or be able to compete with PS vendors who do provide the information needed to make a good decision. The local jewelry store should be able to help me with some basics though regarding size, color (maybe if GIA or AGS), setting, etc., that I'm not sure of right now. I really do not think that buying locally is a viable option to be truthful so I'm sure you're right on the money there and that's why I feel somewhat guilty for asking for their time when I know it's probably not realistic.

Whiteflash is a 9-hour drive (roughly) and I've talked to my DH about possibly buying the diamond there and going to visit their store in person during the buying process when the time comes. The drive would be worth it to me to deal with a trustworthy PS vendor.

Thanks for your input!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results