carat
color
clarity

real ruby???

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello,

Wondering if there is an expert out there who can take a wild guess as to whether the red stone set in this old ring is
a ruby, spinel or....just a piece of glass? :think:

Anyone?

Thanks...

_30478.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before even looking at the stone ... the prongs look cheap and weak.
That increases the odds that the stone is not worth much.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm thinking it's glass. Glass look-alikes have been used in gold jewelry since ancient times.
Kenny is right about the cheap, thin prongs. A dead giveaway. A great big stone with good color would not be in a cheap setting, nor in low carat gold. I bet it is 10k.
Also, the faceting looks worn, which would not easily happen to a ruby or spinel.

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
I agree about the flimsy prongs and crude setting....the only reason I am even asking about this stone is because the owner who is from a small town in Asia claims that this ring is very old and has been in his family for generations; so it's plausible that prongs as well as facets are worn down due to use. He wants to sell it and wants my help; he also claims that a few jewelers have told him it is a real ruby. There
is no market for something like this where he lives. I have told him that without actually seeing and testing the stone there is nothing at all I can do for him. But I can't help being curious.. :think: It must be around 20-30 carats and even after being re-cut will yield a sizable gem if....of course, it is real! I wonder if there are any folks who have enough experience and expertise to make a guess from these pics.

I will post if there is any new info or development in this story! Thanks for your input guys... :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
bpaul|1432449126|3880569 said:
I agree about the flimsy prongs and crude setting....the only reason I am even asking about this stone is because the owner who is from a small town in Asia claims that this ring is very old and has been in his family for generations; so it's plausible that prongs as well as facets are worn down due to use. He wants to sell it and wants my help; he also claims that a few jewelers have told him it is a real ruby. There
is no market for something like this where he lives. I have told him that without actually seeing and testing the stone there is nothing at all I can do for him. But I can't help being curious.. :think: It must be around 20-30 carats and even after being re-cut will yield a sizable gem if....of course, it is real! I wonder if there are any folks who have enough experience and expertise to make a guess from these pics.

I will post if there is any new info or development in this story! Thanks for your input guys... :))

There is no way to know for sure from images. Is a decent gem lab near where he lives?

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
No...I'm afraid there isn't. I can't help wondering...if this was real and untreated, how valuable would it be?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bpaul|1432678116|3881453 said:
No...I'm afraid there isn't. I can't help wondering...if this was real and untreated, how valuable would it be?

Possibly very valuable.
Valuable enough to justify removing it from the setting and shipping it to NY NY to American Gem Labs, the top lab for such stones.

But, IMO there's little chance AGL will determine it to be a natural untreated ruby.
But just the tiny chance of the high value would justify the expense in my mind.

Even if it comes back as glass, at least you'll know for sure.
You sound very curious, and nobody here can answer with certainty based on pics.

bpaul

Rough_Rock
Trade
You are very right...only if getting it here was that simple....but I thought it is worth a bit of effort to reach out and see if someone
has an idea. will keep you all posted in case some thing sensational materializes!

Thanks for you input, it is really appreciated. :)

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
A jeweler should be able to tell you/them if it's corundum/spinel/glass/something else from a few simple tests. I would start there, and if it looks like it is corundum, then I'd start thinking about sending it to AGL, GRS, etc.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the metal used? If valuable, it should be set in very high karat gold. I've seen such tab prongs in antique Asian jewellery but expensive stones tend to be set in more ornate settings in higher quality gold. I'd say the odds are very poor that this is a ruby. There are oodles of GIA offices in Asia and that's where I would send it, given his location.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results