shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you buy a "haunted" house?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha the way you talk about it makes me think of american horror story.
We once looked at a house where someone had hung themselves. I didn't like the feeling in it. Ghost or no, if its going to be my home, I want to feel completely comfortable in it. So if you feel comfortable I'd do it, if you dont, you dont.

Isn't falling in love with a bad house the worst! I was shopping for a house found an absolutely stunning house that if in any other neighborhood would have been double the price - was right in our budget and right in the worst part of the worst neighborhood .

Ugh, like men, sometimes you just fall for the wrong house. Lol

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I'm with the Nay Sayers... Gives me the creeps just reading about it.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My aunt and uncle purchased a house in a small town where a murder/suicide happened years before. The house was on the market for a long time so they got it for a very good price. I won't go into details but all the carpet and flooring had to be changed and the house was cleaned and painted from top to bottom. They had no problems living in the house but my mother said she would never stay overnight. A short afternoon visit only.

Many years ago when my husband and I were looking at condos in the city we're living in now, we went into a lovely although very dated apartment style condo. I just looked at DH and said "the former owner is still here and she won't like it if someone renovates". I can't explain it - probably my imagination (I hope). Needless to say we did not purchase it.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HopeDream|1431065520|3873849 said:
I would totally live there.
Unfortunately I'm immune to ghosts. Something about my natural talent with all things electric/electronic puts me on the wrong frequency to pick up on ghosts and other supernatural phenomenon. (Which kinda sucks, because I'd love to see a ghost). I go on the local historian's ghost tours in my town all the time - I love them.

As far as I'm concerned violent and tragic events have been happening all across the earth for over 200,000 years, so anywhere anyone lives has the potential to be haunted by the unquiet dead.

I'm sorry you missed out on a cool place to live.
But.....It could be back on the market again soooooooooooon. ;-)

I agree, especially thinking about places like London, etc many many years and layers of habituation. Yet it is the more remote places that seem to be haunted. And there may be concern about the history of a place, that makes it more or less sellable.
I don't believe in ghosts, but when we first bought our house, both me, my husband and our oldest daughter experienced at different times the same experiences, that of hearing and feeling someone walking around in the front left room. The first time it happened to me I froze in fear, but then calmed myself down thinking someone was walking on porch right outside room, but then looked, no one there. The fact that all 3 of us experienced it at different times was weird, but we thought to ourselves, maybe it is some weird trick with the way sound carries in our house? But we never found an explanation, and it went away (we don't hear it anymore).
Our house used to be a university rental so a number of people have lived there (and supposed Jane Fonda slept there!). One time during Alumni weekend someone knocked on our door and started to tell my husband about the place, and said one of the people who lived there died (I don't know if shortly after or in the house) and my husband said, let me guess what room he had. He guessed right.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
azstonie|1431055569|3873811 said:
Karl_K|1431048051|3873744 said:
The house I grew up in is haunted so I would not always say no.
But a place like you describe NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!

Karl, did you feel it was benevolent?
yea, I think I shared the whole story on here at one time but basically it was just stuff like he was saying hey I'm here and once we learned his name we would acknowledge him and he would stop for long periods of time.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yea ah no way no how....our last house had something in it...we never really felt but our dog sure as heck did...she scared the crap out of us on more than one occasion..there were times she was terrified and run into our room shaking, after our son was born she would lay in his doorway and "guard" him she would growl at things and bare her teeth...keep in mind she was a German Sheppard..no, no, no I would not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't "believe in ghosts", exactly, but I do believe that there are things that we, with all our science, can't hope to explain (yet) - and other sentient presences may well be one of them.

I've never felt anything of the sort that's been described in this thread, but I'm completely confident that if there was something my four cats and two dogs would know about it, and would let me know about it! In the same way that I'm completely confident that I'll never be surprised by a natural disaster - my animals will know it's coming long before any humans do, and we'll be fine as long as we listen to them.

In a house like this... I'd probably request to take one of the dogs for a walk-through. If they refuse (I'm guessing they probably would!) then I'm definitively uninterested, otherwise I'll take my dog's advice.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
In my old family home, the whole family had numerous scary sightings and we sold the house and left after 1.5 years. The new house we moved into was a lot better although me and my two sisters have both experienced strange events involving what seems like a young female girl (nothing bad ever happened). We still own that home after 20 years. I am not sure what I believe or not - I am a scientific person but we just can't explain the events we have experienced.

My current home is clean as a whistle! Nothing at all - just a normal house.

So my two cents ... I would never buy a haunted house especially one with the history you described.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
I too am w/ the "nope" category.
Not for me --at all--

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CharmyPoo|1431272659|3874805 said:
I am not sure what I believe or not - I am a scientific person but we just can't explain the events we have experienced.

Who's to say that this stuff does not occur within the realm of science? I believe it does. Somewhere in quantum mechanics, string theory, multiverse theory and theories we have yet to think of, there is an answer. I think the world is more interesting when one thinks of the possibility of science and spirituality existing in a cohesive rather than exclusionary way.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely no chance in hell. And for more reasons than just being afraid of seeing something or experiencing something.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could not pay me to live there. A few years ago my stepfather's daughter was brutally murdered in her home. A few months later the home was sold. I can't imagine wanting to live in a home where something horrific happened. A friend of mine used to drive past the house on her way to work and she used to tell me it it bothered her to look at the house.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I forgot to mention, your feelings about certain things are not just in your head!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooooooooooooooo way! Not a chance in hell. I grew up in a haunted house and I'm quite sensitive to that sort of thing so I'd never choose to move into a house with a bad history. :-o

My husband years ago used to work as a security guard at night, he's a pretty rational guy who generally doesn't believe in ghosts but he did say the worst place to lock up was the old Teachers College which in fact used to be a jail where people were hung! The sandstone basement and cellar corridors were original and everytime he went down there he would struggle not to freak out. The hairs on his whole body would stand up and he said you could feel the most horrible presence there wanting you to leave immediately. I truly believe some places "retain" a presence of what happened or maybe just bad juju whatever you want to call to! :shifty:

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not write when I posted earlier "Never. Ever" because it was late at night and I was too creeped out by the subject.
We bought a house that felt creepy after we moved in and later I found out that the seller's 4 year old refused to go into the lower level and that someone had died there. The whole time we were there I could feel something wrong and could not wait to move. All sorts of things went wrong with the house and I always said that we got out before the house could kill us : (

There is a house down the street from me that an old woman died in and by the time she was found her dogs had used her for food. Her daughter came here to make funeral arrangements and was followed by an ex - who murdered her in the house. I would not think of living there in a million years!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you buy a "haunted" house?

In Hong Kong, by law if something like a death or other similar bad "feng shui" incident happens in a house/apartment, the law requires the seller to disclose it due to the resale issue and cultural superstition (property flipping is how many people make money here). It necessitates a markdown of maybe 50% in price as few will buy an "unlucky" residence. Most people would not rent an unlucky apartment, so potential tenants are also limited to those who don't care about such things (mostly expats). Also, apartments on unlucky floors (anything ending with 4) will be cheaper and lucky floors (8s) will be more expensive. I live on an unlucky floor number because it's cheaper (love a bargain) but would definitely not live in a residence with an unlucky history, even if it's been cleansed.
http://www.squarefoot.com.hk/haunted/

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think you dodged a bullet by missing out on that one.

I would worry, not so much about ghosts, but about viruses. There could be a mutated virus in some damp, tiny crevice somewhere, just waiting for a host. I live in a warm climate (the epitome of warm, moist environment) and I'm careful when I garden, mindful that viruses can live in a pile of rotted vegetation or under a decayed log or a moist spot where dead things were. No one can tell you where Exactly viruses originate from, but I take no chances. Don't forget the mold spores. DH removed some of our old bathroom tiles and promptly got pinkeye, which led to a sinus infection, which led to bronchitis. The underside of the tiles had some dampness and the wood subfloor had a small amount of mold.

Who's to say that under a floor, or locked inside a pipe somewhere, there isn't a mutation of that flu and one day when the plumbing needs a repair . . . :shock:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The house I live in is supposedly haunted. Several people died in our backyard. I won't get more specific as when my husband told me about it I was able to google it easily enough. I've lived here four years and no issues.

otoh the house next to ours turns over every year, so I wonder if IT got the haunting instead. Or it could just be that it has the most ridiculously impractical layout I've ever seen.

HopeDream|1431065520|3873849 said:
As far as I'm concerned violent and tragic events have been happening all across the earth for over 200,000 years, so anywhere anyone lives has the potential to be haunted by the unquiet dead.

This is more or less my view.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone. I'm getting over my disappointment and realizing that this probably wasn't the home for us.

If not the haunting, going from 3 bathrooms to 1 bathroom would have been pretty big adjustment.

Islander: I wasn't even thinking about viruses. I would think they would be dead after 100 years, but I guess you can't be too sure about these things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I'd buy a 'haunted' house.
Two reasons:

1. There is no such thing as 'haunted'.
2. It will be cheaper because of the irrationality-fueled superstition of others.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny|1432071715|3878670 said:
Sure, I'd buy a 'haunted' house.
Two reasons:

1. There is no such thing as 'haunted'.
2. It will be cheaper because of the irrationality-fueled superstition of others.

Now, this was precisely my own mindset when I bought my current "haunted" house. It was indeed cheaper, and of course there's no such thing. Smart choice.

I've lived here for thirteen years now. It doesn't even freak me out to see odd little things any more. Like watching the door handle turn when I'm the only one in the house, or hearing the beautiful art deco phone from the 1930s ring (it was a gift, and I love it, but it isn't connected). My dog on the other hand is a little harder to convince. She howls when stuff like that happens. That freaks me out. Properly ;))

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Update on haunted house:

Apparently there were 4 offers on the condo and it sold for way over asking. There was also a special assessment for tens of thousands that the buyer had to agree to pay in cash.

So um apparently people weren't put off by the haunted thing as much as we all thought.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chemgirl, I would have thought just the opposite and they would be giving it away! As a wise Pricescoper says "People Vary!"

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even if it wasn't haunted, I wouldn't like to live in a place where bad things had happened.

Let's forget about ghosts etc for a moment. I just wouldn't like knowing what had happened there. It would make me sad and kind of bring me down. I like happier places.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1432655128|3881264 said:
Even if it wasn't haunted, I wouldn't like to live in a place where bad things had happened.

Let's forget about ghosts etc for a moment. I just wouldn't like knowing what had happened there. It would make me sad and kind of bring me down. I like happier places.

I don't blame you for feeling that way.
I have been told by old neighbors that a long-time owner of our house died of a heart attack under a tree in the front yard.
Sometimes I think about that.
It's not like I avoid stepping where he died but I kinda wish (just a little bit) that I did know this history about our house.

Then again, if you go back far enough I'd imagine something bad happened almost everywhere.
The difference of course is knowing about it, and then letting it bother you.
I think it's good to not allow one's mind to wander out of control and suspend reasoning.
Human minds tend to do that, and we all know where that can lead.

While I don't believe in anything supernatural I'm naughty enough to have some fun with the topic.
My SO is very supersticious and I joke with him that there's a ghost in the basement and I can smell her perfume from time to time. :Up_to_something:
He gets all upset and tells me to not tell him this. :devil:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But, you could look at it that if he was going to have a heart attack and die, at least he died outside under a tree while going about his normal day, instead of lingering in hospital for weeks and passing away in a sterile while room hooked up to a dozen tubes and machines. I guess his last view would have been the sky and the leaves. I can think of worse ways to go!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1432666630|3881372 said:
But, you could look at it that if he was going to have a heart attack and die, at least he died outside under a tree while going about his normal day, instead of lingering in hospital for weeks and passing away in a sterile while room hooked up to a dozen tubes and machines. I guess his last view would have been the sky and the leaves. I can think of worse ways to go!

Sure.
That's the amazing thing about the human mind.
It can go in so many directions.

What's interesting is we tend to not be conscious that we are like dogs on leashes being walked around by our minds.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Noooooooooooooo hell no no way no how never ever.

I've had my share of experiences, which on their own would be enough to convince me, but just this past year, a very close friend purchased a foreclosure house and what took place there nearly destroyed them entirely - luckily they were able to sell it and get away after only a few months. They took a huge financial hit and, quite literally, fled in the middle of the night. It was horrible.

They found out during their inspection that the crawlspace is sitting on top of a 2 foot thick rat slab - very unusual for this area. There was no reason that the inspector could see for building it this way - far more costly and not required - not to mention that rat slabs are typically only a few inches thick. This one was 2-3 feet thick! They also found out that the house had 12 different occupants in the 7 years since it had been built - original owners tried renting it, but the tenants all moved out within a few months - some, like my friend, in the middle of the night (according to the neighbors). But they bought it anyway - gorgeous house for a steal.

Over the 7 months they lived there, the disturbances escalated and escalated. It affected their 13 year old daughter the worst, to the point where we all believe a possession was taking place - she spoke of demons and suicide and had large gaps of memory loss. Doctors put her on antidepressants. Towards the end she was put on a suicide hold. She was getting D's and F's in school. The moment they left the house and moved into an apartment, their daughter (as well as their dogs, who were also affected) became her old self again. She takes no medication whatsoever now and is doing well, getting straight A's in all her AP classes. A mutual friend of ours (and his wife) spent the night in that house when our friend was selling it and they both reported some pretty crazy things too.

The types of disturbances they experienced were things like knocking on the walls that would move around the room, floating lights that you could just see in the corner of your eye, cold spots that never warmed up no matter the thermostat setting, dogs going utterly nuts chasing something inside the house - one night they witnessed one of their dogs being pinned against the front door by...nothing...pressed up against the door in a completely artificial posture, front legs off the ground, whimpering. He stayed in that position for several minutes, and wouldn't come to them when they called him. The dog became extremely bloated - they thought he was getting fat. As soon as they moved out, the dog almost looked like he deflated - went back to his old self within a day or two. I feel crazy as I type this stuff, but I was hearing it as it all happened, and it was very real. To this day my friend tells me that she hasn't shared everything that happened to them in that house - some of it she can't even talk about.

Her daughter had a friend over to spend the night, and around 10pm mom found the kid sitting on the stairs crying, asking to go home. When she prodded her, the girl said that she had seen a little girl in dirty clothes upstairs, and then she disappeared into thin air. Another time the daughter had her cousin over and the next day the cousin's mom called to ask my friend if the girls had been roughhousing or doing pyramids or something. No, they hadn't. Well the girl had come home with bruises under both arms and in her armpits, small bruises that looked like finger marks, and couldn't explain how she got them. They took her for a battery of medical tests thinking it might be a symptom of something, some illness that causes bruising like that, but they found nothing and it never happened again. She had only ever been to the house that one time.

My friend called me from home on their last day there, in hysterics. I told her that she needs to take her daughter and go straight to a hotel, immediately. She said ok and hung up. Got onto her laptop to find hotels in the area and the screen went white. So she got on their desktop and again, white screen. So she tried her ipad - same white screen. She used her phone to take a picture of all 3 devices with their white screens (I've seen the pic) and asked our tech friend what would cause that to happen to three completely unrelated devices. He laughed and said, "I don't know, a ghost?" He said nothing would have caused it.

They did leave that very night and never went back. Not even for their furnishings - they sold it all on craigslist and would unlock the front door for the buyer to go in and see/collect the item, but none of them ever set food inside again.

After doing more research, we now know that the location of the development used to be an old mining town. Where the miners and their families lived. We suspect that the developers, while excavating for the house, perhaps discovered bones and poured the huge rat slab to hide it, lest their project be delayed because it's an old gravesite or something. We can't find any other explanation for that stupid slab that makes no sense at all.

Anyway - long winded but this is the closest I've come to anything remotely resembling, basically, what a poltergeist? A demonic possession or something? I don't even know, but there is no doubt in my mind that they had an evil presence in that house. I'm positively convinced that these kinds of things DO occur, rare as they might be. I definitely preferred not knowing, to be honest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results