shape
carat
color
clarity

Help Me Find a TOASTER

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Seems like a simple thing, but I've been on Amazon for two days now and I can't take it anymore. :wall:

I want a cancel button.

I want the tray to lift up high so I can get the toast out without a fork.

I don't want it to be U-gly. :rodent:

Prefer stainless if possible.

I thought I had it figured out, but hubby thinks $100+ is too much for a toaster. Then he said go ahead, get whatever you want, but now the idea is stuck in my head; $50 should be plenty, right? No?

Any ideas? Something I can get on Amazon please. :appl:

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've found that cheap toasters just don't last so I'm afraid I went with a simple Dualit version. Easy to use, works very well, but will break that $50 budget, though!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Snowdrop; you may be right. Maybe someone has insight.

I should mention 2 slice is fine.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Dualit 4-slice toaster has served me well for over 10 years.

Classic design, just a knob for timer, crumb tray, and a switch to select 2 or 4 slices.

Cancelling by means of turning the knob back to zero.

Slots are wide enough for making toasted sandwiches (I use toastie bags, however, I have a cage too).

DK :))

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1432588125|3881051 said:

Lol, Kenny.

Actually, it's a Krups that I'm finally throwing away. :naughty:

ETA: Besides Kenny, I was counting on you to point me toward some kind of artisanal toaster made of wishes and babies' tears. What do you toast your famous bread in?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Well, there is a Dualit toaster on Costco.com for only $214, including shipping.

I've considered it, but it's a bit more than I want to spend.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gave up on the perfect toaster. Crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, right? I would try Dualit, but I'm afraid even that wouldn't be *perfect*. My inlaws had an ancient Sunbeam(?) that was perfect. You had to buy them 40 years ago apparently. I think we currently have Krupps. It's meh to me. :nono: ETA: I was wrong, we currently have the Cuisinart. Krupps was the last one. Both have been meh, but at least the Cuisinart is faster to toast things.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

iLander

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1432589724|3881066 said:
I gave up on the perfect toaster. Crisp on the outside, tender on the inside, right? I would try Dualit, but I'm afraid even that wouldn't be *perfect*. My inlaws had an ancient Sunbeam(?) that was perfect. You had to buy them 40 years ago apparently. I think we currently have Krupps. It's meh to me. :nono: ETA: I was wrong, we currently have the Cuisinart. Krupps was the last one. Both have been meh, but at least the Cuisinart is faster to toast things.

Exactly! :clap: This is what gets me. I am so tired of buying and rebuying the same crapola because of poor production quality. I would like to buy a toaster and look at it in ten years and have it still be working. Everyone one of them on Amazon has good reviews and bad reviews.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked out the Dualit series again because of this thread. Swoon. :pray: Theoretically, they should suit me perfectly. They even have COLOURS now! Their video is inspiring. On Amazon: bad reviews that make sense. :angryfire: If you have thin bread, it might sit at an angle in the slot and be unevenly toasted. The outside gets dangerously hot. I wish you could try before you buy. Especially at the $300+ range. Yes I would pay that much, but no, I don't feel confident in doing so, nor that there is a perfect toaster out there.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1432602179|3881102 said:
I checked out the Dualit series again because of this thread. Swoon. :pray: Theoretically, they should suit me perfectly. They even have COLOURS now! Their video is inspiring. On Amazon: bad reviews that make sense. :angryfire: If you have thin bread, it might sit at an angle in the slot and be unevenly toasted. The outside gets dangerously hot. I wish you could try before you buy. Especially at the $300+ range. Yes I would pay that much, but no, I don't feel confident in doing so, nor that there is a perfect toaster out there.

I did see the one stainless one on Costco.com for $214, including shipping. Do you have Costco where you are? Not sure if you are in the US. They don't have colors, though, just the one. And it's the ONLY toaster on their site.

This one does tempt me because, with Costco, I can return it if it stops working in 3 years, or 5 years, or . . .

ETA: have you considered a Magimix? It's got glass so you can watch your toaster toasting, so you know if it's perfect. I just want it to freakin' toast and last.

toaster.jpg

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in Canada. The 2 slice one at Costco is $280 and the 4 slice is $340. They have a few colours, but not the nice ones I saw on the Dualit site. They had polka dots on there! I think Dualit has proven lasting power, or at least the ability to be repairable. I like the technology that it uses. Geez, I'm really starting to waffle. Maybe for Christmas. :doh:

boerumbiddy

Brilliant_Rock
Except for being white instead of stainless, my bargain-model Cuisinart does all the stuff you asked for in your original post and didn't cost a lot of money. It seems to be durable, too. At least it has outlasted two or three $20 "learner" toasters. I have learned my lesson.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1432592461|3881078 said:
lyra|1432589724|3881066 said:

Exactly! :clap: This is what gets me. I am so tired of buying and rebuying the same crapola because of poor production quality. I would like to buy a toaster and look at it in ten years and have it still be working. Everyone one of them on Amazon has good reviews and bad reviews.

I think ours is a Sunbeam. Can't remember and brand name is worn off....

DH insisted on buying a toaster. He didn't like mine. Dead a year later. We went back to the one I had.

Bought for $2.00 at a thrift store run by the senior center to benefit children in the area. Got it when I was still in highschool. Been using it since 2004.(sat in my closet with all the other kitchen stuff I bought in preparation of moving out) Still toasts nice.

I know what you mean about lousy quality. Not looking forward to finding a new toaster when this one dies. (no issues yet so hopefully not for awhile!)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
boerumbiddy said:
Except for being white instead of stainless, my bargain-model Cuisinart does all the stuff you asked for in your original post and didn't cost a lot of money. It seems to be durable, too. At least it has outlasted two or three $20 "learner" toasters. I have learned my lesson.

Yes, and it's the best selling toaster on Amazon, and it was the one I had picked out, ready to buy. But then I looked at my counter, with all the black and stainless stuff and I couldn't do it . . . :|

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have a Breville toaster and it is the best we have ever owned. You can get them on Amazon. Highly recommend.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1432624940|3881150 said:

DH insisted on buying a toaster. He didn't like mine. Dead a year later. We went back to the one I had.

Bought for $2.00 at a thrift store run by the senior center to benefit children in the area. Got it when I was still in highschool. Been using it since 2004.(sat in my closet with all the other kitchen stuff I bought in preparation of moving out) Still toasts nice.

I know what you mean about lousy quality. Not looking forward to finding a new toaster when this one dies. (no issues yet so hopefully not for awhile!)

The sad part is that Sunbeam was sold a few years ago to a Chinese conglomerate and the quality is awful now.

Same with General Electric, they don't make appliances anymore.

We have a dishwasher that is barely limping along after 5 years, and it should be replaced (we've already tried repair) but I am afraid of buying another lemon. :(

I may have to hit the thrift stores. :nono:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sundial said:
I have a Breville toaster and it is the best we have ever owned. You can get them on Amazon. Highly recommend.

Which one do you have? I was considering the $99 one. How long have you had it?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1432653309|3881254 said:
Sundial said:

Which one do you have? I was considering the $99 one. How long have you had it?

I have had mine for several years now, but it looks like the $129.95 die-cast two slice one on Amazon.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1432653235|3881253 said:
TooPatient|1432624940|3881150 said:

The sad part is that Sunbeam was sold a few years ago to a Chinese conglomerate and the quality is awful now.

Same with General Electric, they don't make appliances anymore.

We have a dishwasher that is barely limping along after 5 years, and it should be replaced (we've already tried repair) but I am afraid of buying another lemon. :(

I may have to hit the thrift stores. :nono:

Our dishwasher is amazing. Bought it probably 5 years ago. Blomberg.

Good luck with the toaster!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh toasters. I have never had a good one, let alone a great one. I've had expensive, then cheap, only to try more expensive again thinking the past was a fluke and it would be worth it the second time around. It wasn't. I've tried Sunbeam, Breville (worst yet), Cuisinart, and KitchenAid, and maybe more. I want the same features as you do. Seems like it should be easy enough, right?

I have scoured reviews on Amazon and been ready to purchase a toaster countless times. Only to be 'talked' out of it by the negative reviews. After months and multiple attempts, I just clicked Buy and hoped for the best. It's either a KA or CA, four slice, and a week after we got it the left two slices stopped staying down without multiple attempts and some serious shoving. Didn't bother with a return, I'm certain whatever we got in its place would be just as bad or worse.

Well, that wasn't helpful at all. I guess I'm saying it's luck of the draw, and (with toasters) luck has never been on my side. Hopefully it is for you!

Zlata

Rough_Rock
I also gave up on finding a reliable toaster--at any price! My company used to have an old school employee cafeteria with self-serve toast station. I decided to go straight to restaurant quality and ended up with this: http://www.hubert.com/90902/Hubert-Commercial-Bread-Toaster-2-Slots-120V-Stainless-Steel.html

No, it's not pretty, but it's not offensive looking either, IMHO. (Also, I don't like little appliances on my counter, so it goes in the cupboard when it's not in use.) It has all of the features of an expensive toaster and is a workhorse. In the above description it says the lever lifts toast out, which may be an improvement over my version. When I purchased, they asked if I needed bamboo tongs. Really, mine does lift most breads out just fine. It's only small pieces or English muffins that can be a bit of trouble. It gets a regular, daily+ workout and performs like a champ. I've probably had it for 3 or so years now.

Funny that when I called to order, they were only set up for wholesale accounts. It took a bit of work to make them realize I was a retail customer. It looks like they sell to the public now though. Great price, too!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sundial|1432653168|3881252 said:

This is what I was going to say too. It seems to make the toast hotter too; it doesn't cool off by the time it's buttered and you are ready to eat it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Dualit 2 + 1, the "1" being a slot for a sandwich cage... not that that cage could hold any sandwich I've ever seen. And god forbid you put anything on that sandwich that *drips*. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

Small things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Big things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. ALL things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

My advice: Don't buy a Dualit. Make a bonfire and toast bread on a stick before you buy a Dualit.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1432693404|3881558 said:
I have a Dualit 2 + 1, the "1" being a slot for a sandwich cage... not that that cage could hold any sandwich I've ever seen. And god forbid you put anything on that sandwich that *drips*. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

Small things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Big things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. ALL things get stuck in the toaster slots and burn. Have you ever seen flames coming out of a toaster? I have. It ain't pretty.

My advice: Don't buy a Dualit. Make a bonfire and toast bread on a stick before you buy a Dualit.

Dee*Jay, this had me cracking up! Thanks for a good laugh!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay said:

I couldn't figure this out when I read about the sandwich feature. I thought that Dualit had somehow defied the laws of physics and come up with a way to keep the sandwiches from dripping. Some kind of gravity-defying Tardis interior in the toaster. I guess not. :D

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased a toaster! :wavey: :wavey:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00COMHC12/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has mediocre reviews. It will probably BE toast in a year. But I've got a plan; I also bought a 3 year warranty for $6. I'm sure it will break after 3 years and 1 day.

Why this one? Because they also seem to suck to varying degrees, this one is cute and it's an okay price point.

I'm sure I will regret it, but I give up. :rolleyes:

_30621.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results