shape
carat
color
clarity

MJ Gross Engagment Ring Bought At Sams Club?

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for more replies...this forum is certainly active. Well, I know they are two different cuts and can't really compare but I would guess an older cut with angles not as conducive as new round brilliant cuts to reflect light into and and back out would not sparkle as much, but instead have a more antique/vintage glow that's is beefier (like comparing an old car to a new car I guess).

I took more close ups of the ring...I think, like most said here, I paid a fair price for the whole ring ($3089):

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7748/17859648450_48df9a767f_k.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5468/17861083289_d7fa724dfc_k.jpg

https://youtu.be/4awaVE9rAFM

Re-thinking the ebay option...it's platinum and we have studied all the differences enough to know we think a good sturdy 14K white gold with annual inspection and rhodium plating for $50-60 for the entire set is the way to go for us. So with this platinum ring we would need to find a platinum wedding band as well...price would get closer to $4000 total. She like smaller accent diamonds for more shine as well. The wedding band she liked and has was $550 at Sams: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7728/17359481974_f266989997_h.jpg

I need to break from all the concerns and just let it be :)

solgen

Brilliant_Rock
niswanger|1432480543|3880675 said:
14 days full return...that's a tight time-frame...would need to get it, and have a quick appraisal with GIA inscriptions verified. I didn't see anything regarding re-stocking. My dad has his mom's old .75C diamond solitaire that was bought in Germany a long time ago (30's) and it's cert says "Old Miner's Cut" and to me it's not very "sparkly".

Budget is $3300

Thanks,
Roy

If they sell on ebay then it really doesn't matter what return policies the seller states as they are bound to Ebay and Paypal's policies. This makes it far more easy to return the ring for just about any reason.

From the sounds of it I would recommend you stay with the modern brilliant cut.

$3k budget is gonna make it difficult to get a 1ct stone. It's likely going to be at best in the si2 range, maybe I color if you're lucky and I doubt the cut would be ideal.

If you stick with a .75ct then there are a couple well cut ones that could fit your budget.

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Interesting update/turn of events:

Refer to my OP for the background. Essentially, when we picked up the ring from Sams it came with a GIA and IGI cert. The GIA cert under "Additional Grading Information" has Inscriptions(s): GIA 8747387239984 (not actual number as I also blotted it out on the scan for public view). Here's the cert again: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/17816805418_d8df7c7c71_o.jpg So that does mean that the main rock should be laser engraved on the girdle correct? The IGI cert didn't mention this GIA number but does have it's own IGI number which is engraved on the ring (inside of band).

Also, we bought a wedding band from Sams the same day we picked up the main ring, but decide to run round town today and have her try some other ones on. She found the perfect match at Jared near us, so we got all rung up and the paper work done and I decided to ask if she would verify the GIA number and so she took the ring and looked. The first thing she noticed is that the girdle was not polished, which means it is not ready to receive an inscription. She asked her certified gemologist who had a more powerful scope and she was very helpful. She first gave it to a lab person to clean, then she looked at it. She too confirmed no GIA number but from an on-the-spot inspection the certification seems to be in-line with the actual GIA cert. specs. She even measured the stone. She did confirm it just doesn't have the "fire" of a better cut diamond, but that said if you paid $3089 for the whole ring then it was certainly a fair deal. The best they had as a loose stone was a .70C I SI2 VG cut for $2600

They both recommended we go directly back to the same Sams we bought it from and let them know. So now Jared has the wife's new wedding band that we already paid for locked up and ready to size and solder to her main ring but we just need to iron out this little detail. The same Sams rep was there today and because she's off tomorrow she will have to call "their" dealer with this details on Wednesday.

Uggg...we know if it says it has a GIA inscription then it should and if we settle with it as-is then that could bite us in the long run. She loves the ring, and I too, after holding it side by side to an ideal cut (sure it does sparkle a wee bit more) but it's such a clean nice stone and a huge upgrade from her ungraded .33C she had originally.

I'm hoping what ever turns out from this that we keep this ring...I would setting for a discount and leave it at that. I don't know, what do you all think?

Thanks,
Roy

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would return it and buy elsewhere if in fact there is no inscription. I don't know of maybe it's covered by prong placement or something, but if in fact it isn't inscribed then it isn't the sake stone, and they are being dishonest. Of they are being dishonest they would not get my money. One, on principal, I would not drop 3k, but also, what's wrong with this stone that they are trying to trick you?!

Maybe its a vs1

Maybe its an I

Maybe its clarity enhanced!

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Agree...the inspector at Jared (remember this isn't their ring/stone). Seems they are honest as much as I could tell. They cold have easily used this situation to their advantage and say it's certainly not a VVS2 etc. But instead they said it looks to her eye as a valid inspection survey. I also said the same thing, I just don't want any funny business going on. I have heard of clarity enhanced stones and she know what I was talking about and that leaves certain tell-tail signs and she said it's not clarity enhanced.

Boy, for now let's us wait until the COB Wed on what happens.

Thanks,
Roy

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd take it to another jeweler and ask them to verify the inscription for you. That setting would at most obscure part of the inscription. If it's there, a jeweler with a good microscope should be able to find it.

If there is no inscription, then the diamond doesn't match either the GIA or IGI reports so those reports are essentially worthless. I'm curious to see how Sam's Club will handle this. After all, they could point to the paperwork and accuse you of swapping out stones!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

niswanger

Rough_Rock
I'll take it to Diamonds Direct here local in Austin to see if they can find it. So, it's possible it's inscribed somewhere other than the girdle fascia? Jared seem to indicate that's the place diamonds are inscribed. This setting has a round cup that the pavilion sits in, could it be behind that?

Oh gawd, Sams accusing me of swapping stones...LOL, I guess they could play that game. I won't be nearly as pleasant to work with after that happens :)

-Roy

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Inscriptions are only on the girdle.

Good luck...that setting and stone that Neil picked out would look quite lovely if I say so
myself!

Look below the setting and you can see some rings that people have already purchased. Look for an I/J colored stone in the .7ish
to see what it would look like put together.

niswanger

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1432594311|3881081 said:
Look below the setting and you can see some rings that people have already purchased. Look for an I/J colored stone in the .7ish

Not sure what you mean?

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Update!

We returned the MJ Gross Ring and the wedding band we bought at Jared.

So we went to Diamonds Direct here in Austin, TX. Even they couldn't find the inscription and thought that really the diamond wasn't finished with the polishing step. The thick girdle was still frosted (un-polished). So here's where what we got in stead:

Originally we had the .72C, H, VVS2, Good Cut set with .2C accent diamonds in 14K white gold at $3300 plus an $850 wedding band Jared) with .3C accent diamonds in 14K white gold. For a total out of pocket cost of $4150

The sales person at Diamonds Direct brought out about 10 stones varying from .7C to .9C and varying qualities from GIA certs.

Wow...her original Good cut diamond sparkled far less than all of them and they were all Very Good Cuts (2 were Excellent) with Very Good Polish/Symmetry.

We got it down to two rocks, one was a .9C K SI1 VG Cut for $2900 and the other was a .86C H I1 VG Cut for $2300

From the naked eye the .86 was noticeable whiter, size looked identical and sparkle was the same with one exception...LOL I think the .86 has a signature spark because of the feather inclusion under the table surface half way between the edge and the center of the rock (sales person laughed and said that could very well be). From the naked eye we could not see any imperfection in either stone, but with a 10X loupe I could certainly tell apart the SI1 and I1. For about the same size, obvious to the eye better color and same, if not a little better sparkle/fire, we went with the .86C H I1 VG Cut for $2300 ($600 less).

They had tons of settings and she found the one and it was $1900 (14K white gold looks like a wrap setting but it's all one piece which she likes because we don't need a wedding band now) Phone picture attached below, when we get it in I'll use my 5DMK2 and Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro for a better shot :)

The sticker for the stone and ring was $4200, but we got it for $3700. Which includes lifetime service/warranty (she can rhodium plate it as often as she likes). Plus they have a 110% trade up program which is very nice.

End the end, we got a larger and prettier rock and a whole package for about $200 less (after tax). In the end, for our personal taste we learned that we just couldn't see paying so much more for less inclusions that we couldn't see with the naked eye in the first place. Remember this is for her and she definitely loves this one!

We'll have the ring w/in one week and I will post a good picture of it then.

Thanks for all the great advice!
Roy

new_ring.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
niswanger|1432603705|3881111 said:
tyty333|1432594311|3881081 said:

Not sure what you mean?
Sorry, I meant look below the setting on the link Neil gave you
to see examples.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new engagement ring!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful ring - and a happy ending! I'm glad you were able to trade up so nicely, and that your wife has a diamond that sparkles in a ring that she loves!

And about your original diamond not being inscribed despite two documents stating that it is... :confused: ... it's a good thing you caught that in time. I think you dodged a bullet there.

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback,

I think we made the right decision. I can't believe the service and value we experienced at Diamonds Direct. This store is in a very "up scale" part of town called "The Domain" (I think because IBM is close by). There's lots of fine shopping (Neiman Marcus etc.) and dining and apt lofts. Walking into Diamonds Direct we had to be buzzed in and there was a full-time armed police officer. The store was AMAZING, but for me that just means I'll be paying for all this overhead. BUT, I don't think we did; in fact, I think we did a lot better over Sams, Costco, and Jared:

Here's the new diamond: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=6195976022&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

We got it for $2100 (line item on receipt). The 14K white gold band with .5TCW was $1600. Mounted, sized, and lifetime service/warranty included.

Old ring diamond and new ring main diamond Cut Adviser report images below...BIG difference :)

-Roy

old_diamon_cut_advisor.jpg

new_diamon_cut_advisor.jpg

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Pics of the new ring. I think I should have cleaned it before I took macro photos. The GIA has it at an I1 clarity and yes, it has some feather inclusions seen only with a 10X loupe. Now I guess after the wife wearing it for a few days it does get pretty dirty. When I zoom in on the photo I see lots of dirt specs :( Still, it has a heck of a lot more fire and sparkle over the original Sams Club "Good Cut" VVS2:

-Roy

img_8121.jpg

img_8122.jpg

img_8123.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW - from a 9 to a .9! Good job!

niswanger|1433121422|3883487 said:
Pics of the new ring. I think I should have cleaned it before I took macro photos.
-Roy

Diamonds collect dust and grease like nobody's business. That's why mine get a bath at least once or twice a week. (I don't wear any of my rings ring 24/7, and I always remove them - or work around them - when applying lotion. Otherwise it would probably be a daily bath!) I use the hot-water-and-Dawn-soak/gentle rinse/alcohol method, but others here swear by their ultrasound or steam cleaners. A soak in a jewelry dip like a jar of Connoisseur's will do in a pinch, but the liquid tends to get dirty fairly quickly.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results