shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for cuprian elbaite/cuprian tourmaline/paraiba tourm

justlookingaround

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a small stone to put into a ring for my partner as a 10 year anniversary gift. She loves green so I'm looking to get one of the more green ones as opposed to blue ones I've seen. I've had a look around online but haven't seen anything that fits my description yet:

cuprian elbaite/cuprian tourmaline/paraiba tourmaline
Oval/round cut
1-2.5 carats
eye clean but pref. 10x clean

Would anyone be able to help out/point me in the direction of someone who might be willing to part with a small stone from their collection?

Thanks a lot!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Looking for cuprian elbaite/cuprian tourmaline/paraiba t

It will be difficult to find an eyeclean cuprian unless you have a very healthy budget.., eyeclean stone will likely set you back anywhere between $10-50k

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Also, 1.5-2ct cuprian is "small"? [emoji28] [emoji28] [emoji28]

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

After some thought, I would suggest you can try Litnon, or Sedagems. From time to time they have cuprian tourmaline that doesn't cost $10k+/ct.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

What about a greenish blue zircon?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

justlookingaround|1432040812|3878434 said:
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a small stone to put into a ring for my partner as a 10 year anniversary gift. She loves green so I'm looking to get one of the more green ones as opposed to blue ones I've seen. I've had a look around online but haven't seen anything that fits my description yet:

Oval/round cut
1-2.5 carats

Would anyone be able to help out/point me in the direction of someone who might be willing to part with a small stone from their collection?

Thanks a lot!

The green ones are typically less money than blues. Has she seen any truly neon ones in person? If not, you may be able to get away with getting a non-cuprian bluish green tourmaline with open color. I would avoid anything too dark in tone.

Here's what I'm talking about as an example.

36394_1_.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In perusing Paraiba International's inventory, I notice that they have very few Mozambique stones - and no stones of Nigerian origin - for sale. Typically, about 20-30% of their Paraiba inventory comes from those locations, but currently, its down to mainly cabs from Brazil. Interesting.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock

Still learning how to post pictures. This one from Yvonne Raley on ETSY seems to meet your criteria. It's from Brazil. I got some tiny paraiba mele from Yvonne. Great quality. It's in my profile pic. I look casually for cuprians. There is really nothing much affordable out there. I bought a small green one ebay the other day. It's really light.

_30385.jpg

justlookingaround

Rough_Rock

Hi all,

Thanks for the speedy replies! She has seen them in real life :s hence why I really wanted to surprise her with one. Thanks for the heads up on Sedagems, I hadn't come across that in my searching. That Etsy one is exactly the colour i'm looking for but at 1 carat I'm concerned it might get a little overwhelmed in the ring. I'd be keen to see if anyone has a 1 carat one in a setting that I could compare to.

Thanks a lot!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium

By overwhelmed, do you mean you are concerned it will be too small?

Personally, I think it faces up fine provided you don't already have a setting picked out. If you aren't used to seeing stones unset, It will look tiny when you get it but keep in mind that stones look much larger once set.

Brazilian paraibas carry a premium and this is a good size for the origin. If this is the stone you want, I'd buy it while Yvonne has her gemstone sale going on (15% off). You can message her on etsy if you have questions/concerns - she is very responsive, honest and isn't in for the hard sell at all.

It isn't a cuprian but the stone on the top ring face up about the same size. I do not have dainty hands - size 8 - and like finger coverage but its still acceptable to me.

rings_04_20_2015.jpg

If you are looking for something larger, there is this ring posted on DB. Given the large setting and thatit doesn't state the country of origin, the stone may be Mozambique (you would need to ask) - but nothing wrong with that either.

http://www.diamondbistro.com/category/219/Colored-Center-Stone/listings/43012/Gorgeous-paraiba-tourmaline-diamond-Elsa-ring.html

I wouldn't go just by pictures in comparing stones (Yvonne's photos don't always go for the best lighting like some vendors).

Good luck with your search...I fully understand why she wants one after seeing them IRL. Personally I couldn't think of a nicer anniversary gift.

justlookingaround

Rough_Rock

Much appreciated lilmosun, I was looking at a pave claw setting, this is probably the closest from a quick google:

http://geoffreysdiamonds.com/photos/products/full/681.jpg

I am sorely tempted to pick up the one Yvonne has...I've got one more lead I'm waiting to hear back from otherwise that might be the one.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

minousbijoux|1432058003|3878561 said:
In perusing Paraiba International's inventory, I notice that they have very few Mozambique stones - and no stones of Nigerian origin - for sale. Typically, about 20-30% of their Paraiba inventory comes from those locations, but currently, its down to mainly cabs from Brazil. Interesting.

The Brazilian stones from Paraiba International are repurchased and repolished from collectors. They have to pay a lot for these. I know because the $10,000 .51ct and the $30,000 1.54ct were from the pendent I wore. They purchased from me last year.

I saved my best stones though.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

TL|1432055187|3878533 said:
justlookingaround|1432040812|3878434 said:
Hi all,

Oval/round cut
1-2.5 carats

Thanks a lot!

The green ones are typically less money than blues. Has she seen any truly neon ones in person? If not, you may be able to get away with getting a non-cuprian bluish green tourmaline with open color. I would avoid anything too dark in tone.

Here's what I'm talking about as an example.

I know that picture. It's an Afghan tourmaline from Litnon. Top Afghan stones are now $1,000/ct according to a NY wholesaler I know. Fortunately I didn't sell all of mine.

justlookingaround

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the posts. From eyeballing the Litnon ones (with my very amateur eye) they don't look eyeclean, but I guess its all down to preference.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to part with one MJO? I would be extremely grateful!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Stones always look worse on litnons website since he photographs at 10x magnification. At that mag it is looking through a loop and vvs and vs are not loop clean. I have not seen the green Mozambique stones in person but one looks pretty good and they are reasonably priced. I would talk to him and ask his opinion. They are returnable.

I can not sell stones here as it is prohibited and I am a hobbyist not a business. I have sold stone
jewelers. My last was a 10ct tsavorite with an 8ct flawless fanta spess. I sold way too cheap. My biggest mistake was selling Richard Wise Matching pair of 4.06ctw Brazilian Blue Paraiba's a few years back for $18,000

S

SparkliesLuver

Would you consider a trillion shape? Or do you already have a setting?

justlookingaround

Rough_Rock

I'm pretty set on oval or round. The two settings I had my eye on are either one of those. Thanks though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results