shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I have this stone recut?

regina3737

Rough_Rock
I recently picked up a round cut 5.5 ct purple zircon. It's eye clean but you can definitely see some inclusions under the loupe, while looking at it I noticed that the stone was not perfectly round, it has a weird almost square shaped side to it. You can see that clearly in the video when I flip it around: http://1drv.ms/1Kn9pKB

The markings on the table are just my fingerprint (should have worn gloves :razz:, also you can notice that the table is a bit rough)
Should I get the stone recut?
I'm in Toronto, can you guys recommend any good cutters? (I will be in NYC for a couple of weeks so that's an option too)
Is it worth getting recut? Any idea how much it'll cost?
I'm sure I could google search some recutters but you guys probably have some hands on experience.

I was told the stone is untreated but I'm not even sure natural zircon can come in this color, any idea if it's possible? I've seen plenty of champagnes, blues and dark reds but I have never seen a purple zircon before. I got it for an unbelievable price so I don't mind investing a bit into recutting it to get it to that right shape so it's color and brilliance can shine through best.

20150519_123821.jpg

20150519_123430.jpg

regina3737

Rough_Rock
I could really use some advice...

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Zircon comes in a wide array of colors, but dark purple is one I haven't seen. You may need to check if its even natural (and it could be but could be something else too..never know.

I think you should find out if its natural first of all, then take it from there.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1432249362|3879862 said:
Zircon comes in a wide array of colors, but dark purple is one I haven't seen. You may need to check if its even natural (and it could be but could be something else too..never know.

I think you should find out if its natural first of all, then take it from there.

I'm pretty confident it's natural because it definitely has inclusions and CZ is cut smooth all the way around the griddle. What I'm unsure about in terms of authenticity is whether or not it is heated because like you I have never seen this color in a natural zircon (seriously, the thing looks like a freaking tanzanite! Did you see the video?). Anyways, I think I'll leave it as is, it's a little quirk but it gives the stone some charm.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
They do actually manufacture stones to have inclusions. Some of them are so good that labs have trouble discerning them from the real deal.

I would find out what it's RI is and get a jeweler to look at it a bit before sending it to a lab. Did you purchase it from a reputable seller?

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Let's start with that: How do you know it's a zircon?

@ElleW : They can check the RI, but if it's zircon or a CZ, it will be OTL. The spectrum and the UV reaction would give interesting info in that case.

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dioptase|1432270986|3879953 said:

@ElleW : They can check the RI, but if it's zircon or a CZ, it will be OTL. The spectrum and the UV reaction would give interesting info in that case.

Edit: also check the facets doubling. Zircon has a crazy high birefringence.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Dioptase|1432274938|3879956 said:

The easiest way to seperate Zircon from CZ is using a loupe - doubling of the pavillion facets viewed through the table facet --> no CZ, YAG, Spinel ( nat. or synth.) or Garnet.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Dioptase|1432274938|3879956 said:

:D :D :D

I posted it in the same minute!!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also question whether it is truly zircon - please follow the above advice and directions to check for facet doubling. There are many synthetics created with inclusions to make them appear more authentic, so seeing inclusions is inconclusive.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1432298203|3879999 said:
I also question whether it is truly zircon - please follow the above advice and directions to check for facet doubling. There are many synthetics created with inclusions to make them appear more authentic, so seeing inclusions is inconclusive.

Using this video as a base https://youtu.be/4Nzw16QY7gU I compared my stone and it definitely shows doubling of the pavilion facets. Should I see the doubling? Does that mean it is likely natural or not? The dealer has a great feedback profile on eBay but that's not exactly a guarantee.

regina3737

Rough_Rock
When I look at the stone face down the pavilion facets look normal but when I look at it right side up through the table the facets seem to show doubling, is this a signt hat the stone is no good?

amazingAkj

Rough_Rock
Zircons are relatively free of inclusions, but many untreated zircons have a cloudy or smoky appearance.
You can check the required quality in Zircon here

Hope this help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results