shape
carat
color
clarity

A question for not-so natural blondes out there

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you use a "blonde" shampoo to prevent brassiness? If so, do you have a favorite? Do you use it for every wash, or every other (etc.)?

I am now a blonde, as of just three days ago, after a lifetime of being a brunette. The change is almost as big a surprise to me as to my friends... my family won't find out about it for a few days yet. Anyhow, I have some residual light orange and yellow in my hair that I toned down with a purple-based toner. My hairdresser (she cuts my hair - I've almost always colored it myself) suggested that I use a purple shampoo to keep the yellows in check.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you might have as to which shampoo to use - if it makes a difference. Getting from brown to very light blonde involved two bleach treatments, so I do want something that'll be gentle to my hair, and of course to the toner already on my hair.

Thank you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't bother, although I own some. When I was a redhead I did use the shampoo a bit more often, but not religiously. I have been a blonde for decades and just take it for granted. I also think that after a long time of being colored the orange in your hair fades. (For example, if I go from red to platinum my hair will not look the same the first time it is colored platinum as the fifth time. The first time there will probably still be a little bit of gold in the blonde color. By the fifth time there won't be any gold.)

If you want to keep the orange out, use the shampoo.

Deb/AGBF
:wavey:

GK2

Rough_Rock
Like you I'm a natural brunette but for the past year have been white/ash blonde.

I'm in the UK so I don't know if this brand is available where you are, but I use Bleach London silver shampoo. It's purple as I have to watch the brassy tones when my toner starts fading. They do a conditioner as well, but given the repeated stress my hair is under I prefer to use Aussie 3 minute miracle as a conditioner. I use both these each time I wash and once a week give it a ten minute mask treatment from Bleach London.

My hair has held up extremely well considering, but I have regular trims and keep it pretty short to avoid breakage.

Hope this helps ;-)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, I just went through the "brunette to blonde" process a couple of months ago - makes for a great change, huh?! I'm really loving it myself...

Anyway, I am using Jhirmack Distinctions Silver Plus shampoo (when it comes out in your hand it is purple), and I use it almost every time I shampoo - I only wash my hair maybe twice a week. I do find it makes a difference; it definitely does take away some of the brassiness and it also seems to smooth out gradations in color and heighten the blondiness. But I don't think it is a great shampoo in terms of cleaning my hair... so I sometimes will first wash with a color-safe or clarifying or T-Gel shampoo, and then follow up with second wash with the Jhirmack Distinctions.

And you probably already know to use a really great conditioner - I've been using TreSemme Platinum Strength Renewing Deep Conditioning Treatment after most shampoos, and I rotate in Neutrogena Triple Moisture Deep Recover Hair Mask every 3rd or 4th time.

Most of the time I air-dry my hair, but sometimes I have to use a blow-dryer and then I keep it on cool - even now, several months after the color change, I find when I use the warm setting my hair is not happy (it gets fuzzy and seems to end up with more broken hair).

Of course your experience may be different; just wanted to warn you - I think it is a fact that the bleaching process, particularly brunette to blonde, will damage our existing hair - for sure, the texture of my hair has changed; my hair is thicker and looks to have more body; but perhaps correspondingly, if I don't treat it gently and use the right products, it does not appear healthy and shiny.

Anyway, I do plan to experiment with other purple shampoos, but so far I am happy with Jhirmack Silver Plus. I look forward to hearing your updates and experience!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Loreal Elvive Colour Protect shampoo and conditioner daily- seems to prevent my hair becoming too dry and the colour doesn't fade!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, GK2, marymm, and snowdrop - thank you for the input and shampoo/conditioner suggestions. I'm definitely going to pick up some purple shampoo! I already have a stash of conditioners accumulated out of good intentions, but I guess I'm going to have to be a little more intentional about actually using them ( :wink2: ). Mary - that's a good point about the hair dryer. My hair is pretty short these days, and I'm used to just giving it a quick blast of hot air to add volume. I should probably plan on spending a little longer at a lower temperature.

Thank you all for responding!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1432543739|3880910 said:
I don't bother, although I own some. When I was a redhead I did use the shampoo a bit more often, but not religiously.

By the way, my hairdresser recommended John Frieda's Radiant Red when I was a redhead and I think it was great. I know that she also liked his products for blondes, but they were by no means the only ones she has recommended to me over the many years she has maintained me as a blonde! I think there are probably just a hundred times more products from which to choose on the market for blondes than for redheads! Colorists probably go mad having to decide between them!

If one is doing her own hair, I think she should be careful to use enough toner after the bleaching. I simply watch my hairdresser, but the toner seems to be a vital piece of the process. I also use lowlights to get a natural look in my hair. (Actually I usually have both highlights and lowlights.)

Do any pros want to weigh in here? I know we have professional hairdressers on Pricescope!

Deb :wavey:

radiantred.jpg

CrazyBirdLady

Shiny_Rock
I've been looking for a new purple shampoo and the one from Fudge gets glowing reviews so that will be the next one I try. Once I try it I'll come back and update the thread.

GK2

Rough_Rock
Can't'the believe I forgot about my rule of no heat at all!

I air dry my hair and never use any straighteners on it either.

Bottle blonde is not easy or for the faint hearted, but I love it. I particularly like the looks on people's faces when they find out I do it myself as well - i think they are impressed!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I like Shikai products for brightening my light-colored hair. I had natural strawberry-blonde hair that naturally changed to golden blonde then to platinum blonde all from aging.

shikai.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results