shape
carat
color
clarity

EGL diamonds, And how to choose the best stone for bezel

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
I am finally starting the process of switching my diamond. Unfortunately I have to buy an upgrade at the same place where I've bought a first one, and unfortunately, they are really not the best vendors jn the world.
I was told I have $700 deposite for an old 0.4 uncertified stone. After asking what GIA Ex they have, I've got some prices - $1200 for 0.3 I ct, and $1800 for 0.4 F.. Seems that GIA is way out of my budget (and it will be crazy to buy 0.4 here for the 0.7 US price, this is too much).
The question is, is it possible to find something good between EGL diamonds? They have all the dimentions in certificate, so HCA can be used for elimination... But I don't have an Idealscope.

And what dimensions are to look for if the stone will be set in the bezel?

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
I wouldn't invest any more money in the same store that sold you a ring that you're not happy with. It's not going to turn out well.

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
You right, but what to do with the stone I already have, and with money we've already payed? No one will buy it from me for the amount even close to stated in start-topic, and no way I am ready just to throw away a thing worth $1000..

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Keep it, it's a pretty ring, even if you're not happy with the diamond. Can eventually turn into a right hand ring, or you could use the diamond in a pendant.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sell or not as you wish, but what you paid is not a valid way to measure what something is worth, especially if what you mean by 'worth' is how much you can sell it for. This isn't just limited to diamond by the way. It's true of everything you own.

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
And again you right.
But I have a stone that makes me really sad. And we are not ready to buy a totally new one - maybe in several years and only when my husband will visit US. So I need some other solution right now.
Theoretically if it is possible to pay a couple hundreds more and get a less yellow stone with better light performance, I would be the happiest woman ever.

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
danielxlin|1432475166|3880641 said:
Keep it, it's a pretty ring, even if you're not happy with the diamond. Can eventually turn into a right hand ring, or you could use the diamond in a pendant.
But right now I don't need a RHR, I need a happy e-ring, not this sad one ;-)
So paying a bit more even to a shady vendor instead of buying whole new thing looks not that bad for me.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mentioned wanting a stone that is less yellow and with better light performance. Well, given the circumstances then, I personally would base most of the choosing on your own eyes and what pleases you. It's been said by some that EGL may be more lax in grading (I'm not a professional and cannot attest to the accuracy of this) but keep it in mind when reviewing your color choices and let your eyes guide you.

If you have no plans to sell the up-grade, then the certificate doesn't matter too much. What matters is that you like the diamond! I would use the HCA and the specs on EGL report to rule out bad performers, and then use your eyes to tell you if it will make a happy ring instead of a sad ring :) .

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Assuming you cant find or otherwise don't want to talk to an appraiser, it's easy enough to get a feel for what you can get for something. Go talk to some people who buy things and get a bid or two. Bids are free, come with no obligation, and they can usually do it in a few minutes while you wait.

Armed with that you know the key data to make an informed decision:

What you can sell yours for.
What the jeweler will credit you on a trade in if you go that route (you already have this).
What the jeweler will sell you as an upgrade and how much that costs.
What someone else will charge you for something similar (Go shopping. Don't forget the labor associated with setting and possibly modifying your existing mounting to accommodate the new stone ). As with the above, it's free to get offers from people who want to sell you things.

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
JDDN, thank you!
I was wondering, if only the color and inclusions rates are less reliable in EGL certificates than in GIA, or maybe there is more to keep in mind.. Like, are the measurements trustful?

Tobamovirus

Rough_Rock
Denverappraiser, I get your point.. The problem is that I live in small town on middle east, so this 'fool him before he fools you' mentality and heavy bargaining are almost everywhere. I am not really good in those games, that's why to go and to ask random jewelers seems a bit risky.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, that is an excellent question about the EGL. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that, however, I'm sure someone on PS does. I would hope that the measurements would be accurate as those are quantifiable as is the weight in carats. Things that are more or less based on a human making a judgement (more subjective) like color may be the issue as opposed to something actually measured or weighed (more objective). That is a guess as I don't know for certain!

Looking at the stone in different lighting in the store (by the window, outside if they accompany you, etc.) may help you determine it's attractiveness.

By the way, I looked at your e-ring from an older post and it's beautiful. I just love your e-ring and wedding band. I really hope you find a nice sparkly stone that makes you smile every time you look at it :) .

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with a different vendor... the $700 credit with them is not worth it if you can find a diamond of similar specs to those you could buy for $700 less elsewhere... see for instance http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/0.46-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-507761

Either keep the old diamond and put it in a pendant or sell it for whatever money you can get. Using the same vendor you've been previously unsatisfied with is not going to lead to you being satisfied down the road.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results