shape
carat
color
clarity

Am i getting a good deal on this consigned Tiffany Solitaire

ncabanil

Rough_Rock
First things first, i live in Los Angeles, so luckily i have access to an endless amount of engagement rings, or all shapes, sizes, quality, and prices.

I’m currently in the process of looking for an engagement ring. I walked through the LA Jewelry District in DTLA and came upon a jeweler who had a 1.28 ct round brilliant cut loose diamond, I color, IF clarity for $7100 out the door (cash price). A simple platinum band (similar to the timeless Tiffany solitaire) runs $750 out the door. I'm not too keen on a simple band (I like a little more bling for my money lol), so I had my eye on a three-row domed micro pave half-eternity band setting (with 0.59 ct of F-G micropave stones) which runs $1300 at this shop (this was what I have had my eyes/heart set on). Its similar in look to this Brian Gavin band: http://m.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/3-row-domed-pave-solitaire-18k-white-gold-5545w18

I went on to visit other jewelers, and at the very last vendor i visited (on a recommendation from a friend), i was shown an AUTHENTIC 1.23 ct round brilliant cut TIFFANY solitaire ring, G color, VS2 Clarity, WITH six-prong platinum setting that was selling on consignment for $7000 cash price out the door maximum (i say maximum because i asked the jeweler to ask the owner how low he/she was willing to go for a very serious buyer, so its conceivable i could get the whole thing for $6-6.5K out the door). I verified that the Tiffany name and diamond carat size are etched into the inside of the band and the diamond number is etched onto the stone. The diamond had one inclusion off the center of the diamond, but that was it. It sparkled and fired as you imagine a Tiffany stone should/would. Offical Apparised value according to Tiffany documentation is $17.7k.

at this point, i’m having a difficult time deciding what to do. I’ve taken my girlfiend to Tiffany stores before, and she fell in love with their solitaire engagement rings. I get it, what woman wouldn’t want a Tiffany ring, right? Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Audrey Hepburn, yada yada yada. But honestly, I never really considered a Tiffany ring because i refuse to pay 2-3X markup for a “name”. I understand Tiffany supposedly grades their diamonds more stringently than an outfit like GIA, but i refuse to believe that the disparities (perceived or real) in grading standards should result in a ring priced 2X as much.

But in this case, getting a custom ring made — a loose diamond (1.28 ct, I/IF) mounted on a simple platinum band — is gonna cost about $7850, while the Tiffany solitaire (1.23 ct G/VS2) on a tiffany platinum band (with etchings) will run me $7000 (or less). In the former scenario, even if i get a lower quality diamond (1.23 ct, H color/VS2 clarify is $6300), the total for the diamond+band still runs about $7000.

I feel at the price the Tiffany ring is being offered at on consignment, its a STEAL of a deal. Its essentially priced equal to (and actually, probably slightly lower than) what you would get by buying a loose diamond and getting it mounted on a custom setting. Not to mention the cache one has when possessing/wearing a TIFFANY ring (and when people question you, you can easily prove autheticity by the markings on the inside of the band). Not only will people think my girlfriend has an amazing and sparkly engagement ring, but they’ll all think i spent crazy amounts of $$$ on the ring (when i really got it for 40 cents to the dollar). Am I overthinking this? Is this a no brainer?

(Backstory on the Tiffany ring: Originally bought late 2012 in a Los Angeles area Tiffany Store by original owner, engagement fell through, and ex-bride-to-be put ring on consignment through a well-known jeweler in DTLA

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Am i getting a good deal on this consigned Tiffany Solit

It's a no brainer - go with the Tiffany before somebody else does. :wavey:

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree. That's a good price.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Depends on the woman- would she want a ring from a failed engagement or not?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like Pyramid, I am wondering if you are absolutely certain that your girlfriend is fine with a second-hand ring from a broken engagement? It wouldn't bother to me at all, but there are women who would greatly value a brand new ring or don't want a pre-owned ring with "bad mojo".

Also, how close in size is the Tiffany solitaire to your GF's ring size? If there's an appreciable difference, I'd ask the jeweler if you can pay a deposit to hold the ring while you confirm, in person, with the local Tiffany store that they will resize it even though you don't have the original sales receipt. Only Tiffany will be able to restamp the inside of the shank so as to maintain its authenticity should resizing have an adverse impact on the present stampings.

ETA: I am really hoping that your circle of family and friends doesn't include anyone who would demand proof that it's a Tiffany, but if so. I also hope your GF would not feel obliged to humor their rudeness by stripping off the ring to show them the inside stampings. Maintaining the stampings is desirable imo only for heirloom purposes or possible resale in the future, not to satisfy a friend's or relative's gauche nosiness :nono:

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

The ring is 6.5 and my girlfriend is a 7, but the jeweler will resize for free (he uses the same method that Tiffany does where they snip the bottom of the band and fill in platinum to make it larger). This preserves the stamping a where are found toward the top of the band near the crown.

For us, we don't believe in "bad juju", that a ring from a broken engagement carries that with it forever. I see it simply as a opportunity to buy a Tiffany ring at Market rate. I've bought luxury goods on consignment for her before (Louboutins, namely) and as long as they look new, we're okay with it

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sounds like a good deal to me - get it!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ncabanil|1432405703|3880448 said:
The ring is 6.5 and my girlfriend is a 7, but the jeweler will resize for free (he uses the same method that Tiffany does where they snip the bottom of the band and fill in platinum to make it larger). This preserves the stamping a where are found toward the top of the band near the crown.

For us, we don't believe in "bad juju", that a ring from a broken engagement carries that with it forever. I see it simply as a opportunity to buy a Tiffany ring at Market rate. I've bought luxury goods on consignment for her before (Louboutins, namely) and as long as they look new, we're okay with it
Excellent!! Now seems like a no-brainer for you two, hearty CONGRATS to you, and kudos to your friend who recommended the jeweler :))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ncabanil|1432389492|3880398 said:
I went on to visit other jewelers, and at the very last vendor i visited (on a recommendation from a friend), i was shown an AUTHENTIC 1.23 ct round brilliant cut TIFFANY solitaire ring, G color, VS2 Clarity, WITH six-prong platinum setting that was selling on consignment for $7000 cash price out the door maximum (i say maximum because i asked the jeweler to ask the owner how low he/she was willing to go for a very serious buyer, so its conceivable i could get the whole thing for $6-6.5K out the door). I verified that the Tiffany name and diamond carat size are etched into the inside of the band and the diamond number is etched onto the stone. The diamond had one inclusion off the center of the diamond, but that was it. It sparkled and fired as you imagine a Tiffany stone should/would. Offical Apparised value according to Tiffany documentation is $17.7k.
comes with Tiff papers? BUY IT!...$6k is a steal for an 1.23ct G-VS2 stone.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

Update. Seller wouldn't budge off $7k. But I guess I'm being a little too greedy hoping for $6k. The jeweler is asking the seller to provide the Tiffany certificate. If she can provide it, and I can verify the diamond number with Tiffany, then it's as good as bought as far as I'm concerned.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock

Good luck! Hope to hear how everything works out. :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Even if the seller does not have the original Tiffany certificate any longer (papers do have a way of getting lost) having Tiffany work on the ring (have it resized by Tiffany, a service you pay for) is unassailable authentication, so if authentication is your primary concern there are alternatives to address this ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Awesome...$7000 is still a great deal!

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

What information do they ask for when you get it resized? Do they cross check to see if the diamond is registered to you as the original owner? I don't want to be embarrassed as the Tiffany shop if they run the diamond # in their system and find a different name associated to the original purchase lol.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

Yssie|1432509938|3880789 said:
Even if the seller does not have the original Tiffany certificate any longer (papers do have a way of getting lost) having Tiffany work on the ring (have it resized by Tiffany, a service you pay for) is unassailable authentication, so if authentication is your primary concern there are alternatives to address this ::)

What information do they ask for when you get it resized? Do they cross check to see if the diamond is registered to you as the original owner? I don't want to be embarrassed as the Tiffany shop if they run the diamond # in their system and find a different name associated to the original purchase lol.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

Tiffany has the owner of their diamond rings identified in their computer by the band number and inscribed diamond number. They will not ask you any questions but will change the ring to your name and address and charge you to resize the ring, it will be a couple hundred dollars if it's platinum. They will not reissue the original diamond certificate to you so you may want to ask the original owner (if you're buying it from the original owner) to ask for a copy/reissue as that has all the diamond specifications on it and would help with future resale. Am unsure if Tiffany will reissue the certificate even then.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

rockhoundofficiando|1432686579|3881506 said:
Tiffany has the owner of their diamond rings identified in their computer by the band number and inscribed diamond number. They will not ask you any questions but will change the ring to your name and address and charge you to resize the ring, it will be a couple hundred dollars if it's platinum. They will not reissue the original diamond certificate to you so you may want to ask the original owner (if you're buying it from the original owner) to ask for a copy/reissue as that has all the diamond specifications on it and would help with future resale. Am unsure if Tiffany will reissue the certificate even then.

They wanted $300 to resize a platinum ring up or down 1 size. They will not reissue the diamond cert but you can have them appraise it for a fee. I can't recall if it was $200 or $300. they quoted either process as taking 2 weeks or even up to a month depending on how busy they were.

Hopefully the seller has the Diamond cert or else you're out of luck there and resale value will be diminished quite a bit. If they do have it then maybe you can check the specs to see how well cut it is as not all of Tiffany's stones perform well.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock

Sorry to thread jack but I have a quick question along these lines. Will Tiffany resize any of their rings if you are not the original owner? I am looking to get a used channel band and I don't think those have ID numbers. Thanks!

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

lilysweet|1432724969|3881714 said:
Sorry to thread jack but I have a quick question along these lines. Will Tiffany resize any of their rings if you are not the original owner? I am looking to get a used channel band and I don't think those have ID numbers. Thanks!

I called Tiffany and they will resize any authentic Tiffany ring whether or not you are the original owner. It costs $200.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

The owner found the certificate. tiffany_1_0.jpg

HCA comes out to 2.8 (Very good). Triple Ex on Cut/symmetry/polish. Only inclusion near the center (certificate consistent with what was observed in person).

mrfat

Rough_Rock

I think I may have seen that very same ring though they quoted me $7500 OTD. :think:

It appears to be a nicely cut stone and I wanted specifics of the cut to use the HCA tool but they could not provide it. Being a Tiffany ring it is very well priced and still gives me pause for consideration. Unfortunately my gf would like a pave band and maybe even a halo. Tiffanys can reset the ring but the price was astronomical, roughly adding an additional 2/3 the cost of the ring. I did not know that they would change the ownership of the ring. They can resize it and also provide a new valuation report for a few hundred each. They are not willing to reissue the Diamond Cert though.

It's not quite the ring my gf wants but it's such a relative "deal" that I keep rethinking it. But she would rather have a different design and getting a ring that isn't her ideal and claiming it was too hard to pass up because it was a good or even great deal isn't a strong selling point to her. It sounds like you might be in the same boat. But if your gf is fine with it then you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal and you should go with it. Plus if you buy it then I don't have to think about that ring anymore and how good of a deal it is LOL.

*edit*
HCA of 2.8 isn't that bad but not the ideal I was hoping for. Also inclusion in in the table and it was somewhat visible so for me I'm going to pass. Still not a bad deal though.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock

I'd still get a comprehensive appraisal and a guaranteed return period if purchasing the Tiffany stone. Make sure there isn't a chipped up girdle hiding underneath a prong. It is suspiciously cheap.

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

ncabanil|1432745285|3881849 said:

HCA comes out to 2.8 (Very good). Triple Ex on Cut/symmetry/polish. Only inclusion near the center (certificate consistent with what was observed in person).

Can't read any of the specs so hard to comment. Even at a 2.8 it could still perform well. If it does have inclusions in the table then that could cause hesitation particularly if it were of the black carbon variety. Being VS2 it should be eye clean though.

As the previous poster mentioned you should buy a design that your fiance will love. If my bf got me this ring but I wanted some other design I might be a little dismayed that he didn't listen. And mentioning what a deal it was isn't going to help. But I couldn't be mad to receive a 1.28ct Tiffany ring though.

Can the dealer provide an ASET or idealscope? That would put any performance issues to rest.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

What shop did you go to? Maybe it was the same ring. I'm curious lol.

My GF isn't a diamond snob, and doesn't really get into the specifics of the diamond (that's more for me :angel: ). Basically every store i've taken her to, she's loved the diamonds/rings. She LOVED the Tiffany solitaire when i took her to the Tiffany Store in Glendale, CA. She would probably prefer to have the channel-set band, but also knows that its quite a bit more expensive than the classic solitaire design.

When looking at the diamond under magnification, the inclusion on the table didn't really bother me, because it didn't hurt the performance of the diamond much, if at all. It was brilliant to the eye and sparkled like crazy.

I've looked around at loose diamonds in the DTLA area (shops that have prominent online websites and presence) and a 1.23 ct GIA certified G color VS2 clarity diamond starts at $8k. At $7K, this ring would be quite a deal even if it wasn't a Tiffany ring. Throw in the fact that it includes the platinum setting w/ Tiffany markings, and a copy of the Tiffany Cert, and it's a crazy deal, to me.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

Jeweler has the Tiffany appraisal form provided by the owner. It appraised at $17.7k. The jeweler will provide a new insurance quote now that he received a copy of the official Tiffany certificate.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

Here are the specs:
Shape: Round
Cut: Brilliant
Measurements: 6.84 x 6.87 x 4.26 (mm)
Carats: 1.23 carats
Color: G
Fluorescence: None
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarify: VS2
Enhancements: None

Cut Proportions:
Depth %: 62.1
Table Size %: 57
Crown Height %: 15.3
Crown Angle: 35.3 degrees
Star length %: 50
Pavilion Depth %: 43.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.9 degrees
Lower half length percentage: 80%
Girdle Thickness: Medium to Slightly Think
Girdle Finish: Faceted
Culet: None

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

mrfat|1432745591|3881850 said:
I think I may have seen that very same ring though they quoted me $7500 OTD. :think:

It appears to be a nicely cut stone and I wanted specifics of the cut to use the HCA tool but they could not provide it. Being a Tiffany ring it is very well priced and still gives me pause for consideration. Unfortunately my gf would like a pave band and maybe even a halo. Tiffanys can reset the ring but the price was astronomical, roughly adding an additional 2/3 the cost of the ring. I did not know that they would change the ownership of the ring. They can resize it and also provide a new valuation report for a few hundred each. They are not willing to reissue the Diamond Cert though.

It's not quite the ring my gf wants but it's such a relative "deal" that I keep rethinking it. But she would rather have a different design and getting a ring that isn't her ideal and claiming it was too hard to pass up because it was a good or even great deal isn't a strong selling point to her. It sounds like you might be in the same boat. But if your gf is fine with it then you'll be hard pressed to find a better deal and you should go with it. Plus if you buy it then I don't have to think about that ring anymore and how good of a deal it is LOL.

*edit*
HCA of 2.8 isn't that bad but not the ideal I was hoping for. Also inclusion in in the table and it was somewhat visible so for me I'm going to pass. Still not a bad deal though.

My GF isn't a diamond snob, and doesn't really get into the specifics of the diamond (that's more for me :angel: ). Basically every store i've taken her to, she's loved the diamonds/rings. She LOVED the Tiffany solitaire when i took her to the Tiffany Store in Glendale, CA. She would probably prefer to have the channel-set band, but also knows that its quite a bit more expensive than the classic solitaire design.

When looking at the diamond under magnification, the inclusion on the table didn't really bother me, because it didn't hurt the performance of the diamond much, if at all. It was brilliant to the eye and sparkled like crazy.

I've looked around at loose diamonds in the DTLA area (shops that have prominent online websites and presence) and a 1.23 ct GIA certified G color VS2 clarity diamond starts at $8k. At $7K, this ring would be quite a deal even if it wasn't a Tiffany ring. Throw in the fact that it includes the platinum setting w/ Tiffany markings, and a copy of the Tiffany Cert, and it's a crazy deal, to me.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

danielxlin|1432745945|3881853 said:
I'd still get a comprehensive appraisal and a guaranteed return period if purchasing the Tiffany stone. Make sure there isn't a chipped up girdle hiding underneath a prong. It is suspiciously cheap.

Jeweler has the Tiffany appraisal form provided by the owner. It appraised at $17.7k. The jeweler will provide a new insurance quote now that he received a copy of the official Tiffany certificate.

ncabanil

Rough_Rock

solgen|1432746208|3881856 said:
ncabanil|1432745285|3881849 said:

Can't read any of the specs so hard to comment. Even at a 2.8 it could still perform well. If it does have inclusions in the table then that could cause hesitation particularly if it were of the black carbon variety. Being VS2 it should be eye clean though.

As the previous poster mentioned you should buy a design that your fiance will love. If my bf got me this ring but I wanted some other design I might be a little dismayed that he didn't listen. And mentioning what a deal it was isn't going to help. But I couldn't be mad to receive a 1.28ct Tiffany ring though.

Can the dealer provide an ASET or idealscope? That would put any performance issues to rest.

Here are the specs:
Shape: Round
Cut: Brilliant
Measurements: 6.84 x 6.87 x 4.26 (mm)
Carats: 1.23 carats
Color: G
Fluorescence: None
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarify: VS2
Enhancements: None

Cut Proportions:
Depth %: 62.1
Table Size %: 57
Crown Height %: 15.3
Crown Angle: 35.3 degrees
Star length %: 50
Pavilion Depth %: 43.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.9 degrees
Lower half length percentage: 80%
Girdle Thickness: Medium to Slightly Think
Girdle Finish: Faceted
Culet: None

solgen

Brilliant_Rock

ncabanil|1432749845|3881874 said:
mrfat|1432745591|3881850 said:

*edit*

Don't mention the name of the store as someone else might try to steal it out from under you. Since she loves Tiffany then this is practically a no brainer. It's a good deal and the inclusion isn't really noticeable so if the store has a decent return policy you should go and put a deposit on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results