shape
carat
color
clarity

Which pair of Tahitian studs should I pick?

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to purchase a pair of 9-10mm Tahitian pearl studs, and PP has sent me a picture of the options available. I asked for green overtones, and I hope to get something similar to Tara3056's Tahitian studs (link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pics-pp-hanadama-tahitian-studs.190539/)

The first 2 pairs are 10-11mm, which sadly, exceeds my budget. Though I think the second pair from the top is closest to what I'm looking for, in terms of the color. The next 3 pairs are 9-10mm. I've ruled out the last pair as it seems too dark and brown. I'm torn between #3 and #4... #4 seems to have greener overtones, while #3 is bigger in size.

Which pair would you guys pick? I'm also keeping in mind the fact that vendor's photos may not be the most accurate reflection of how the pearls will look like in real life. Hoping that those with more experience in purchasing Tahitians can chime in! Thanks!

image_3521.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's too bad that the larger ones are out of scope. That 2nd pair is realy nice. Of the smaller ones I like #3. I think they are likely more the colour you are looking for.

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
If I were you I would ask them to photograph #3 & #4 in natural light conditions, to get a better sense of how the will look like IRL.

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
My son who is 8 yrs. old said i should tell you to pick the second pair because "it's green, it's beautiful!!" hahaha. I guess i've been looking at too much pearls... :lol:

Yes I agree with Tucs, ask for IRL pictures of the smaller ones that are more affordable. You can also wait until they have green ones in 9-10mm next month. I believe they will have a shopping trip to HK for more stocks.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I like the last 3, I wish the 2nd was better matched with size, although you might not see it with them on.

also natural light shots are a must if possible.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Can you save up a little while long and get the bigger one (#2)? I think PSS sets in really fast and getting the bigger one will result in more savings overall. Plus based on my experience 'settling' for a lesser pearl means I'll never love it as much/will always lust for the one that got away.

If not then I'll prefer #4.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
icy_jade|1431136750|3874341 said:
Can you save up a little while long and get the bigger one (#2)? I think PSS sets in really fast and getting the bigger one will result in more savings overall. Plus based on my experience 'settling' for a lesser pearl means I'll never love it as much/will always lust for the one that got away.

This. If you don't buy the ones you really want, you'll just end up buying two pairs in the long run.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Definitely agree that you should wait until you have enough to get larger. If you are going to spend that much then get the ones that you will be happy with for a lifetime. I love the second pair ! :love:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
If price is not an issue, it will be #2.
Of the 9-10mm, those do not look very green to me. #3 looks dark gray to me. If I have to choose one of the 9-10, it will be #4 but it is not very green.
Would you consider peacock colour? It is green with some pink in them and I find them much more attractive and interesting. Maybe you can ask them to show you some peacocks for comparison? And depending on your hair color, you may want to look at medium body colours instead of dark ones, if you have dark hair cos too dark pearls will just disappear into your hair.

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pair of 9mm Tahitians that were surprisingly inexpensive. They are not peacock or anything flashy, but I often get compliments on their lustre. They glow. Sea water pearls do that.

Just food for thought.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like #2, looks more like a 11mm pearl and the small pairs look like 9mm pearls. Else the last pair is also lovely.

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your advice! Haha after reading all of the replies, I'm convinced that #2 is the way to go. It's the perfect color and the size is significantly larger than the rest of the options. Guess I just have to cut back on my spending in other areas this month to make room in the budget for the pearl studs :naughty:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That's great! Hope the color suits you and pls post ear shots when u get them.

(Ps I do agree with YC re: peacock studs. A bit of pink does wonders when I wear mine.)

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Yay #2 are gorgeous! Please post lots of photos when they arrive!

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
The #2 pearls are lovely...that green will be so versatile. BTW, on my computer, the bottom pair read cherry...and are also lovely. No bad pearls on the card!

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
I'm back with some pictures! My first impression of the pearls when I opened the box was that they were darker and more silvery than I'd have liked. But I've grown to love them after taking them out of the box, probably because the black interior of the packaging dulls the pearls. I'm glad I went with the 10-11mm as they're big enough to make an impact but not too large to be uncomfortable. Here are some photos taken with my iPhone!

img_1431_0.jpg

fullsizerender_69.jpg

fullsizerender-2_4.jpg

Pirard

Brilliant_Rock
Those are magnificent studs! I love the color.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
They look beautiful on you -- I really like the color. (I've been disappointed a few times upon first opening the box, because the black background makes so many pearls look lifeless. Then when you put them on and they warm up a little, yowzers.)

Tucs

Brilliant_Rock
whimsyglory they look beautiful! The colour is so intense and the luster is amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap:

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
They look beautiful!

One fun thing about Tahitians is that they are little chameleons. They change so differently in different lights, and even depending on what you are wearing. Good thing is you have a gorgeous pair, and they have a lot of life right out of the box.

If you ever buy tahitians again, I'd recommend asking for natural light or neck shots (or pearls in a hand) to give you a good idea of what to expect.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
wow -- the difference between in-the-box and your ear shots is striking. they look amazing on, which is definitely better than the other way around! i haven't dipped my toes into tahitians yet so this is incredibly helpful for me to see. thank you for sharing and enjoy them!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful pearls and that dark green really suits you. :appl:

ennui

Brilliant_Rock
They are beautiful, and you will love them forever. :angel:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
They are gorgeous and look stunning on you! I'm very jealous!

Bailey1856

Shiny_Rock
beautiful, so shiny!

raindrops on roses

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone, for the kind words and advice. I'm already plotting my next purchase haha :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

YC

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! Very lustrous and looks great on you.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Those are gorgeous studs! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results