shape
carat
color
clarity

MJ Gross Engagment Ring Bought At Sams Club?

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Hey gang,

Came here to get some opinions. Been married 17 years. Recently wife lost her 1/3C diamond from her set (I was enlisted military at the time...even so, should have spent a little more money).

What wasn't clear from the sales person was the cut, so I wasn't suprised when it came in that it was "Good". Still, the wife is VERY happy. I would like to know, was the deal fair?

Here's what I got at $3089 plus tax (.72C stone, VVS2, H, Cut:Good GIA, set in 14K white gold head and .19C accent diamonds). The head is interesting...the bottom point of the diamond is captured by a full round piece of 14K white gold base. Seems like a strong setting?

Thanks,
Roy

_30483.jpg

christine_diamond_solitaire_ring.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For what you paid I'd say you got a fair price for what you got. Is the cut great? No. If she likes it though I suppose that's what matters, right?

Are you looking for alternatives? Or just want to know if you if you over paid ?

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
niswanger|1432338906|3880276 said:
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy
Looking online at a few places, of say ypu got a fair price for what you bought.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy
Don't know if you overpay, but it is not a well cut stone. Big 67% table + low 11% crown + thn-vtk girdle = bad news.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look on the Pricescope diamond search you can see that GIA .72 H VVS2 diamonds are selling mostly between 2700-3700 dollars. They were all excellent or very good cut though. The "good" cuts I saw near that carat weight with those color/clarity specs were near 2600ish. So it seems fairly priced.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1432339771|3880278 said:
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy
Don't know if you overpay, but it is not a well cut stone. Big 67% table + low 11% crown + thn-vtk girdle = bad news.
Our standards aren't necessarily his wife's. She's already seen it, she likes it. He seems to have gotten a fair price.

A buyer got a ring they want without overpaying.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy

I guess we can all answer your question but what does over paying mean. For me It is over paying as I would prefer a well cut stone so I'd willing to pay for such.

If she doesn't know the difference between a well cut sparkly stone and a good not so sparkly stone and she's happy then you got the result you want a good deal...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
heididdl|1432346039|3880305 said:
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy

I guess we can all answer your question but what does over paying mean. For me It is over paying as I would prefer a well cut stone so I'd willing to pay for such.

If she doesn't know the difference between a well cut sparkly stone and a good not so sparkly stone and she's happy then you got the result you want a good deal...

I am not sure its fair to say he overpaid just becuase you wouldn't buy it yourself

I would consider overpaying as paying more than a fair market value of a specific item. People do buy good cut gia graded stones. If they do, they should pay a fair price, just like people who buy ideal cut diamonds. I dont see how its overpriced if its what he wanted to buy and he got fair market value for it.

Dom or franzia ; there's a fair price and a market for both.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1432341953|3880290 said:
Dancing Fire|1432339771|3880278 said:
Correct, did I over pay?

Thank you,
Roy
Our standards aren't necessarily his wife's. She's already seen it, she likes it. He seems to have gotten a fair price.

A buyer got a ring they want without overpaying.
Most PSers are "cut snobs".. :lol:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You'd have had to compromise somewhere to get an excellent cut stone and setting for the same price - compromising on weight means looking at stones at least 10 points (.10 ct) smaller. So... yeah, you did good, and if she likes the ring and it makes her heart sing, that's what really counts. (and for what it's worth, I think it's a very pretty ring.)

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for candid and straight forward thoughts. I'm no diamond expert but I do have a type A personality and for awhile there during our search the wife was getting tired of my nit-picking the 4-C's. It was by sheer chance we ordered this ring because the Sams Club sales person mentioned custom orders. We were VERY close to choosing this set (which, at the time the wife liked): http://www.samsclub.com/sams/1-95-ct-t-w-diamond-bridal-set-in-14k-white-gold-i-i1/prod7910007.ip All diamond rings in the Sams jewelery case were IGI certified and it baffled me that every one had a cut of "ideal". What the heck is ideal I asked her and of course she really didn't know. So when she called today and said the ring was in I just did a quick side by side comparison of the ring in the link above and the ring we bought. Other than the obvious size difference (.58C vs .72C), from my naked eye I could barely if at all tell a difference in color and both had equal "sparkle". I asked the wife her opinion and she just smiled.

So did I get a fair deal, I think I did, based dialog here and what I see as rock mounted on a shinny piece of heavy metal :) No doubt a very good or excellent cut would have increased the price beyond our budget.

One curiosity I have is the GIA and IGI certifications that came with this ring. Notice they are the same (IGI lacking the cut, polish, symmetry, etc. characteristics). The sales lady said the diamond was loose at MJ Gross and usually only come in a Tiffany setting. We managed to get them to send a crude pic of a ring style with accent diamonds which is what the wife wanted. She said that MJ Gross would make the ring, then have it certified and appraised by GIA and then finally a Sams item number would have to be created which is where I believe the IGI cert came into play (it's what Sams uses). So I'm wondering if the diamond ring went to IGI with the GIA cert along with it?

Oh and one other thing the wife notice, the appraised value of the original wedding set in the Sams case (link above) was $4200 and just this single engagement style ring from MJ Gross was appraised by IGI at $7100...she like that aspect. Just seems like an inflated number for no good reason to me.

Thanks,
Roy

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Irrespective of what the salesperson tells you - GIA only grades (certifies) unset stones. IGI is used by several large retailers (Sears comes to mind) and often for already-made merchandise. The GIA certificate is the more valuable of the two just because it will be more trusted in a re-sale or insurance claim situation. That said, as I recall, one of the trusted appraisers that sometimes posts here said that he has done IGI assessments and that the info provided in them (or at least the one he prepares) are of IGA accuracy even though they don't provide the same level of info.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You. Are correct regarding the appraisal. Tjaycis inflated and sellers like that because it makes them feel as IG they are getting a smoking deal. You paid a fair price. You didn't get a few thousand dollar steal.

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the feedback. Regardless of personal taste, the better investment between this one, which has only an IGI cert: http://www.samsclub.com/sams/1-95-ct-t-w-diamond-bridal-set-in-14k-white-gold-i-i1/prod7910007.ip and the one we decided to get with the GIA cert (adding higher resolution certs image below) would be...which one?

Certs:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5327/17816805418_d8df7c7c71_o.jpg

Higher Res Ring Image:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7705/17978917352_cc54783268_h.jpg

Thanks,
Roy

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Never mind, I think I figured it out. GIA also has a cut grade app for iPhone and Android...I put these numbers in that an it rated the stone cut as "Good". This stone seemed to sparkle every bit as much as the other ring's stone that was IGI cut rated as "Ideal". Again, this is just for me, not here...gosh if she ever found this thread...LOL.

_30497.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You got a reasonably good deal for the price. And as I said before, the important thing is that your wife loves it. But if you'd like we can see whether there's room for improvement if you put a ring together with one of the trusted PS vendors... and compromise on something other than cut. (BTW Sam's Club most likely will not accept a return if the ring has been size.)

Figure just over $1,000 for the setting.http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/channel-set/ which would leave $2000 max for the center stone. (there will be setting/shipping related costs, and probably sales tax as well, that I'm not figuring in this equation.)

Center stone, $1,950 .7Ct I-SI1, GIA Excellent: http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-518722 (I'm not one of the diamond experts here so you might want to wait for others to weigh in on the stone) (url edited-this is a different stone than the one I posted initially)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
After tax, the cost of the ring you have now is very close to the price of this one, which includes a AGS000 Ideal Cut diamond (top tier in cut) and a solid setting from a well-vetted vendor (no sales tax if you ship out of state):

18k white gold w/ .66ct H, SI2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/18k-white-gold-10ct-engagement-ring-containing-a-66ct-h-si2-superior-hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-finger-size-5-3-4-sizing-extra-diamond-s-sku-is-12798.html

Assuming it's eye-clean, that would be a guaranteed winner, without blowing your budget.

Here are the details of the stone:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-66ct-h-si2-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1432447638|3880568 said:
After tax, the cost of the ring you have now is very close to the price of this one, which includes a AGS000 Ideal Cut diamond (top tier in cut) and a solid setting from a well-vetted vendor (no sales tax if you ship out of state):

18k white gold w/ .66ct H, SI2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/18k-white-gold-10ct-engagement-ring-containing-a-66ct-h-si2-superior-hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-finger-size-5-3-4-sizing-extra-diamond-s-sku-is-12798.html

Assuming it's eye-clean, that would be a guaranteed winner, without blowing your budget.

Here are the details of the stone:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-66ct-h-si2-superior-round-hearts-and-arrows-diamond.html

Thing is,by looking, I'm not sure you can assume it is eye clean

Also,sense where throwing out suggestions,here's mine

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=171753622553&alt=web

niswanger

Rough_Rock
@Neil, would never have considered eBay...really? Of the two options just given, this ebay ring look nice! Couple of thoughts...GIA says it's old European Cut...and the cut dimensions are brief and only gives table size, depth and culet. Wonder how the cut would be graded, excellent, very good, good, etc? So it's a used diamond correct?

Also, it's a 6.5 in Platinum...what if the wife needed a 6.75 to 7 size...what's the typical cost in doing that? Beautiful ring for sure.

I may show this to the wife.

Thanks,
Roy

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need someone who knows old cuts to weigh in. Don't use the HCA for old cuts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
niswanger|1432479547|3880661 said:
@Neil, would never have considered eBay...really? Of the two options just given, this ebay ring look nice! Couple of thoughts...GIA says it's old European Cut...and the cut dimensions are brief and only gives table size, depth and culet. Wonder how the cut would be graded, excellent, very good, good, etc? So it's a used diamond correct?

Also, it's a 6.5 in Platinum...what if the wife needed a 6.75 to 7 size...what's the typical cost in doing that? Beautiful ring for sure.

I may show this to the wife.

Thanks,
Roy

I agree with everything mayk says.

Sizing it up a half size isn't too expensive. Around me I could do it for 50-100 bucks.

Also the place takes refunds. I'd read about the refunds if they take a "restocking fee" or of they have requirements about the refund.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking for other options? If so, what's your budget?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3425512.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/legato-sleek-line-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-422.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-626.htm

P.S. I love the ring that Niel posted. What a cool vintage ring and I'm a big fan of old cuts. If you're serious about it, look into old cuts before you take the plunge to make sure it pleases your wife. It is a different flavor compared to a modern round brilliant ;-) .

niswanger

Rough_Rock
14 days full return...that's a tight time-frame...would need to get it, and have a quick appraisal with GIA inscriptions verified. I didn't see anything regarding re-stocking. My dad has his mom's old .75C diamond solitaire that was bought in Germany a long time ago (30's) and it's cert says "Old Miner's Cut" and to me it's not very "sparkly".

Budget is $3300

Thanks,
Roy

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
niswanger|1432480543|3880675 said:
14 days full return...that's a tight time-frame...would need to get it, and have a quick appraisal with GIA inscriptions verified. I didn't see anything regarding re-stocking. My dad has his mom's old .75C diamond solitaire that was bought in Germany a long time ago (30's) and it's cert says "Old Miner's Cut" and to me it's not very "sparkly".

Budget is $3300

Thanks,
Roy

You could walk into any store and right then they could tell you if the inscription matches the cert. As for your mothers ring, that's a different type of cut, one, and two, you can't make any inferences about this ring based off her ring.

niswanger

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neil, yes I know...I'm trying to make some dialog here from another recent post about vintage cuts...if they would work for us...remember, we are just married people...we are not in this for any show-off etc...I want the wife to like her ring and pay a fair price.

That being said the other side of me says with just a little more patience and time we could do better. Talking to the wife she says she would certainly sacrifice some of the other C's for more size. After all she says .72C isn't like some HUGE rock...LOL...if money weren't an object I think 1C would be her ideal size.

In general, how would the sparkle compare between the same size, rating rock that is an "old European brilliant" VS "round brilliant cut - good"

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
niswanger|1432481240|3880683 said:
Thanks Neil, yes I know...I'm trying to make some dialog here from another recent post about vintage cuts...if they would work for us...remember, we are just married people...we are not in this for any show-off etc...I want the wife to like her ring and pay a fair price.

That being said the other side of me says with just a little more patience and time we could do better. Talking to the wife she says she would certainly sacrifice some of the other C's for more size. After all she says .72C isn't like some HUGE rock...LOL...if money weren't an object I think 1C would be her ideal size.

No I totally understand. And I think not being in a rush could certainly pay off in the end. I just didn't want you to throw the idea out before giving it it's appropriate chance.
Of its not for you its not for you. That makes sense!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given some of the things you've mentioned, have you considered buying the ring from a vendor who has a great trade-up policy? You could buy a very nice ring and sparkly stone within budget and in a few years you could trade-up for that really awesome 1 carat. It's something to think about anyway :).

Different vendors have different up-grade policies.

Also, comparing the "sparkliness" of an old cut to a modern round brilliant is sort of like apples to pears. Just different flavors and personal preference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results