shape
carat
color
clarity

What bracelet length do you like?

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all, can you please share what bracelet length you prefer and the reasons for it? I'm not asking about the absolute length like 6 inch or 7 inch, but rather where your bracelet falls.

I don't like my bracelets to fall into my palm as I find that uncomfortable. Yet I have no idea what length is comfortable/not tight yet doesn't fall so much into palm. I would appreciate pictures as I'm thinking of shortening them. Thank you.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer it to stay around the smallest area of my wrist, and not fall below the knob of my wrist. My wrist circumference is 5.5" and I prefer my bracelets to be no longer than 6", but preferably 5.75" since I like a more snug fit. With my watches, I wear them so tight as to be cutting into my wrist. Like, if there is not a watch impression on my wrist when I take it off, it's not tight enough.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1432008320|3878339 said:
I prefer it to stay around the smallest area of my wrist, and not fall below the knob of my wrist. My wrist circumference is 5.5" and I prefer my bracelets to be no longer than 6", but preferably 5.75" since I like a more snug fit. With my watches, I wear them so tight as to be cutting into my wrist. Like, if there is not a watch impression on my wrist when I take it off, it's not tight enough.

I wore my Raymond Weil watch almost though not quite like that for many years, and it damaged the back and the back of the metal bracelet (this was a heavily gold plated watch). I suspect it's also why I had moisture-related problems with the movement. I don't wear my watches that tight any more. ;))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too prefer the bracelet to stay in the small area of my wrist.

Depending on the style of the bracelet and closure type, that would normally be 7.5in or slightly longer.

DK :))

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My link-style bracelets are at least 1/2 inch and up to 3/4 inch longer than the smallest point of my wrist. With my cuff-style bracelets, I also prefer that they sit at the top of my hand, i.e. at the base of my thumb bone, rather than in the smallest part of my wrist. As to why - I find it more comfortable to allow some movement, I think my bracelets look better with some movement, and personally I think it looks more feminine. They're also easier to put on and take off if there's a little ease there. To be perfectly honest (taking cover here) I think a bracelet that fits tightly in the small of the wrist looks somehow a little childish.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 7.5 inch bracelet because it fits lol

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

dk168 said:

Depending on the style of the bracelet and closure type, that would normally be 7.5in or slightly longer.

I too would prefer it to stay in smallest area of my wrist most of the time, but not all the time. But I have watches that became tight when I gained weight and I found that when the length was just nice and the watch strap was wet, it was difficult to move it up my arm. I'm concerned the same thing will happen with the bracelet too if I shorten it that much.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1432052193|3878505 said:
My link-style bracelets are at least 1/2 inch and up to 3/4 inch longer than the smallest point of my wrist. With my cuff-style bracelets, I also prefer that they sit at the top of my hand, i.e. at the base of my thumb bone, rather than in the smallest part of my wrist. As to why - I find it more comfortable to allow some movement, I think my bracelets look better with some movement, and personally I think it looks more feminine. They're also easier to put on and take off if there's a little ease there. To be perfectly honest (taking cover here) I think a bracelet that fits tightly in the small of the wrist looks somehow a little childish.

I agree with your preference on cuff positioning. Cuff and bangles are inflexible and need to be longer than bracelet for them to be comfortable.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As small as possible without cutting off my circulation, which for me would be exactly 6 inches. It can move 2.75 inches up and down my arm so that isn't that tight.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me, if it's loose, I either take it off and promptly lose it (this has happened to SO MANY BRACELETS) or else push it up to my elbow, which looks sillier than keeping it around the small of my wrist. I gather I may be somewhat unusual in my inability to tolerate loose things around my wrist though!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
For me, it's 6.5 inches or a size 2-4 for bangles. I don't like bracelets flopping too much up or down my arm.

Anne

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1432163118|3879321 said:
As small as possible without cutting off my circulation, which for me would be exactly 6 inches. It can move 2.75 inches up and down my arm so that isn't that tight.

This is exactly what I would like. I just have to find a method that can help me determine this comfort length. May I know how you measured this length? Or was it trial and error that led you to know your exact length?

distracts said:
For me, if it's loose, I either take it off and promptly lose it (this has happened to SO MANY BRACELETS) or else push it up to my elbow, which looks sillier than keeping it around the small of my wrist. I gather I may be somewhat unusual in my inability to tolerate loose things around my wrist though!

anne_h said:
For me, it's 6.5 inches or a size 2-4 for bangles. I don't like bracelets flopping too much up or down my arm.

Anne

I with you both on not liking them too long. My problem is I kept buying them shorter and shorter. Yet they are all still too long that I don't wear any of them. Firstly, some of these bracelets have been shortened when I first bought them, so no exchange allowed. Secondly, I don't dare to go tight due to circulation issue. So they're always longer than I like. There's no method that teaches us how to find exact length that is tight but can still move but doesn't touch the palm at all. I think the only method is to trial and error.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LLJsmom said:

dk168 said:

Distracts, LLJ, DK, since your bracelets are pretty tight, do you find them comfortable in summer?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer mine snug but not tight. The maximum travel distance for my bracelet is close to 1 inch. This gives me sufficient room to maneuver the clasp open/shut yet does not drive me crazy with travelling up and down the wrist when I am trying to work/play.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you take a piece of string, adjust it to what you like and then measure it, you can figure out what you like.

I have a 6 1/2 tennis bracelet that I wear ALLL the time and a bunch of 7 inch bracelets that I never wear. I hate the feeling of them sliding around, possibly knocking into things. The 6 1/2 sits about 1 inch below my wrist bone and is very comfortable.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1432214610|3879563 said:
I prefer mine snug but not tight. The maximum travel distance for my bracelet is close to 1 inch. This gives me sufficient room to maneuver the clasp open/shut yet does not drive me crazy with travelling up and down the wrist when I am trying to work/play.

Chrono, ilander, both your bracelets are snug but not tight, so how do you find it in summer? Can it still move up and down at all in summer? Do you have to push to move it or can it roll by itself in summer? May I know what is the usual temp where you're staying? I'm concerned that I shorten it to snug and I find it uncomfortable. Love to learn more from others' experience before I shorten mine.

Chrono, if it can move only an inch, how can you still close the clasp yourself? You must have really slender fingers.

ILander, thanks for the tip. I'll try it now.

iLander said:
If you take a piece of string, adjust it to what you like and then measure it, you can figure out what you like.

I have a 6 1/2 tennis bracelet that I wear ALLL the time and a bunch of 7 inch bracelets that I never wear. I hate the feeling of them sliding around, possibly knocking into things. The 6 1/2 sits about 1 inch below my wrist bone and is very comfortable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear mine all year long through the 4 seasons and take it off about 2x a week when I work out. I wear and removed it one-handed. It is very comfortable to wear even in summer, with almost the same travel distance as in the winter. It rolls on its own or I can push it. I'm wondering whether the difficulty you experience is due to the different wrist structure? Winter drops to below zero at times and summers can exceed 100 F at times.

_30420.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would wake up in the morning with a circle of indentations around my wrist from it being tight while I sleep. But doesn't bother me in the summer. I don't have much wrist expansion. I try to get it really small so much that the jeweler says I may have a problem taking it off. Then I stop shortening it.

This is as close to my hand as it gets.

As far down as it gets.

Extra space

I would not mind it a bit shorter but too lazy to get it shortened. I can live with this.

_30424.jpg

_30425.jpg

_30426.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like mine pretty small. I hate it when they flop down over the hand. If I hold up my hand, my bracelets have a "hang" of less than a centimeter, I think. They're not tight, but there's not much room for them to move up and down. I think they look the most flattering when they stay around the smaller part of the wrist. The perfect length for me is 6.5 inches. 7 is definitely too long for my taste.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
distracts|1432330777|3880235 said:
thecat|1432204515|3879512 said:
Distracts, LLJ, DK, since your bracelets are pretty tight, do you find them comfortable in summer?

I don't find them any less comfortable in summer than I do at any other time of the year. re: usual temp, I'm in Texas so HOT. If I'm going to be sweating buckets and slathered in sunscreen I don't wear jewelry though since cleaning the nooks and crannies will drive me crazy.

LLJsmom - your tennis bracelet is the PERFECT size!

Distracts, after reading this, I think my new bracelet is still slightly long ;( I wanted a 0.2 cm shorter than my new one and that fits my wrist just snug. But I was concerned about slight wrist expansion since I live in a tropical region. Another reason for going 0.2 cm longer than the really snug fit was so that I can close the clasp easily myself. When I tried on the shorter one, it took me 5 min just to close the clasp. :rolleyes: The SA told me that it will be uncomfortable if it's really snug as sweat will make a really snug bracelet sticky and not roll so smoothly in heat. So I went slightly longer again. I'm always buying slightly longer that what I really want. The saving grace of the longer one is that I can close the clasp easily.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1432305871|3880068 said:
I like mine pretty small. I hate it when they flop down over the hand. If I hold up my hand, my bracelets have a "hang" of less than a centimeter, I think. They're not tight, but there's not much room for them to move up and down. I think they look the most flattering when they stay around the smaller part of the wrist. The perfect length for me is 6.5 inches. 7 is definitely too long for my taste.

SA told me the drop must accommodate one finger so that it's comfortable. I think half a cm is about there. So yours is just snug :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results