shape
carat
color
clarity

Paparadscha: need expert help

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the video. Given the colouration, the inclusion (one on the crown and one near the girdle) and your time frame to get the report, I would keep looking.

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
digdeep and agingsparkle: Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Appreciate that.

Chrono: here are the videos of the BlueSapphireStones':

https://youtu.be/adJVErTNoLw
https://youtu.be/bhGqA1ycPm8
https://youtu.be/ZewhZDKRjQU

(btw.: do you find any of their other gems worth of attention - they're quite good at communication and can send additional info, including photos and videos, quite fast).

Africagems also suggested to consider this one (given that they have the discount now):
http://www.africagems.com/oval-pad-sapphire-ja-2995.html

What do you think? (They should shortly send me a video).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Appreciate the additional videos! The stone is so very pink that I'm surprised it passed as padparadscha. In any case, the large window is a deal breaker for me. The AfricaGems sapphire is also very pink and I'm not sure whether it would pass GIA's standard of labeling. Maybe it's his photography so no harm in requesting a video, which is probably more accurate anyway. GIT is an all right lab for corundum and I think you might be fine since it is impossible to be diffused. Even if it ends up being found as low heat by GIA/AGL, the temperature used for heating will not be high enough for diffusion. Note that GIT does not state the country of origin.

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
So would you say, then, that the ATG's 1.39 pad would be the best current candidate given my parameters?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Henrikas_B|1432215182|3879568 said:
So would you say, then, that the ATG's 1.39 pad would be the best current candidate given my parameters?
Not necessarily. I would wait to see the stone in person and verify that the lab report states both origin and the padparadscha label.

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
It does have GIA's "Variety: Padparadscha Sapphire." I would only need to get the statement on the country of origin. But that perhaps means a rush report, for an additional fee, paid by me.

Then, perhaps, the video they send, and whether they agree to reconsider the price at least a bit, decides whether it is worth paying for the rush report.

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm not a pad expert, but would it be worth asking Rogerio to send this back for testing? Any thoughts? He said he's priced it accordingly, but it's noted that while at AIGS it wasn't tested. ?

weight: 2.07 cts
size: 6.5 x 6.4 mm cushion
clarity: very good
color: pink orange
origin: Ceylon
treatment: this sapphire has been priced and appraised with the assumption of LIBS treatment, which is 100% stable.
$3,400

https://www.etsy.com/listing/222207405/padparadscha-color-sapphire-cushion?ref=shop_home_active_15

il_216.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, why didn't he post the AIGS card brief? LIBS testing is a must for me when it comes to padparadschas. Secondly, why are there no pictures of the stone where the camera is looking straight at it? I suspect a cut issue but cannot tell how minor it is due to the photography. Off the top of my head, I think the cut is probably very deep, probably faces up like a 1.25 ct stone.

ETA
Checked the depth to be 80%, which all in all, you might have to accept due to tight time frame and requirements.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Firstly, why didn't he post the AIGS card brief? LIBS testing is a must for me when it comes to padparadschas. Secondly, why are there no pictures of the stone where the camera is looking straight at it? I suspect a cut issue but cannot tell how minor it is due to the photography.

I wondered why he didn't post the AIGS brief too. He put a link to a video in the listing, but I'm not 100% sure which stone it is (as the video shows 4 stones). I can guess, but for that amount of money I'd want a video of it by itself. It does look like there might be a cut issue but the OP said that wasn't a deal breaker.

If it's not a good option, that's okay. :oops:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll go look at the video.

SL,
I hope I didn't come off as too harsh or critical. I think it IS a good option, only that I prefer to lay down the pros and cons for the OP so that he can make the best choice for him (and her).

S

SparkliesLuver

You didn't, Chrono. I simply like helping, but I completely understand that I'm not an expert. Pointing out the pros and cons is definitely a good, helpful thing. :)

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at this stone for some time and I was SO curious as to why it was priced that high, assuming LIBS treatment.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but my (cursory) understanding of LIBS is that it implies a Be-diffused stone, which essentially devalues it?

Is anyone able to explain?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LIBs is a specialized piece of equipment that checks for signs of beryllium diffusion, which is one step beyond plain heat treatment, although to many, this is a significant step. BE diffused stones should be priced significantly less than an undiffused heated stone.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As stated on AIGS cert. this stone has NOT been LIBS tested........... BE treatment is not ruled out with heat treatment mentioned. :think:

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
Once again, thank you all for the input - this has been very helpful for me.

Now, Rogerio/Andrea said they would not send the 2.07 gem for AGL/GIA certification, as they have doubts about whether it would be labelled the Padparadscha Sapphire.

Now, I noticed they have another one: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/223343155/certified-padparadscha-peach-pink-color?ref=related-2 The colour is not that strong (though I do like it). And the cut seems decent?

They claim that this one has GRS cert with "Padparadscha" label and Sri Lanka as country of origin. However, GRS cert was for the stone that they re-cut - and not the one that is being sold now. How likely is that this is indeed the same re-cut stone? The price is just above my budget (and quite above if we include taxes), but maybe they would be willing to reconsider it.

Further: I received video from the ATG and the stone looks great (for my amateurish eyes). If they agree on a small discount, and confirm it as a Sri Lankan with GIA/AGL, do you think I should give it a try and order it for a personal inspection (they do have decent return policies)?

S

SparkliesLuver

Henrikas_B said:
Once again, thank you all for the input - this has been very helpful for me.

Now, Rogerio/Andrea said they would not send the 2.07 gem for AGL/GIA certification, as they have doubts about whether it would be labelled the Padparadscha Sapphire.

Now, I noticed they have another one: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/223343155/certified-padparadscha-peach-pink-color?ref=related-2 The colour is not that strong (though I do like it). And the cut seems decent?

They claim that this one has GRS cert with "Padparadscha" label and Sri Lanka as country of origin. However, GRS cert was for the stone that they re-cut - and not the one that is being sold now. How likely is that this is indeed the same re-cut stone? The price is just above my budget (and quite above if we include taxes), but maybe they would be willing to reconsider it.

Further: I received video from the ATG and the stone looks great (for my amateurish eyes). If they agree on a small discount, and confirm it as a Sri Lankan with GIA/AGL, do you think I should give it a try and order it for a personal inspection (they do have decent return policies)?

I saw the other one as well, but I thought the color was too faint/light, especially for that price. However, that's probably a personal call. What I put in bold is probably my main concern with this one.

As long as you're comfortable with their return policy, I say go for it. There's no substitute for seeing a gem IRL.

S

SparkliesLuver

You might also consider this one, depending upon price and certification. Worth an email/call?

7.5 x 6.5mm
2.01cts
http://mayerandwatt.com/gemstones/stones-photo-gallery/
(second column, second row)

They might even have others, if this one is too expensive or you don't like it.

pad_sapp_7.jpg

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
SparklesLuver: Thanks for the link - I will certainly contact them.

I may not have access to pc over the weekend, but I will get back to you with updates on Tue. Nice weekend everyone.

S

SparkliesLuver

Oh, one more! It seems to be more on the pink side, but... :confused:

FINE orangish Pink Spinel, unheated, origin Sri Lanka, an Intense medium orangish Pink, VS Clarity in a modified Concave Cushion Cut by Richard Homer. Measurements: 9.8 x 7.7 x 7.0 mm. $2,916.

http://www.finegems.com/proddetail.asp?prod=sp-324cu

sp324cu_3.jpg

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
Good day everyone,

I have decided to order the ATG's 1.39 pad and have a look at it in person. Here's the video the seller sent to me (you can set the quality to HD in the player):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B06PzXXeiug

He said that the colour isn't fully correct on the video (the stone is apparently less orange in reality), and that he couldn't get too close as the camera cuts the light and, since it has a high polish, the camera gets reflected in the gem (which also happens when the camera is further away).

Your comments on the video are very much appreciated.

It is somewhat small 6.4 x 5.2 x 4.9. But apparently has a nice cut (?) and decent colour (?). Though, it is heated. I am not that well acquainted with the types of heating applied to pads. Could anyone comment on this (i.e., what kind of heating this pad is likely to have been exposed to? What does GIA's "heated" actually stands/does not stand for?).

ejacobson

Rough_Rock
Can anyone clarify for me whether that potentially Be-diffused sapphire on Etsy is priced significantly high given the probability of Be-treatment? I've read that Be-diffusion devalues a stone, but by what kind of margin? Is $3k for a 2 carat Be-diffused stone outrageous, slightly inflated, or expected?

Also, Henrika, I'm unclear as to why they won't send the sapphire in for certification--is it because GIA won't necessarily call it a pad, so they won't be able to charge as much?

And if someone is also able to comment on providing certificates for stones before they were re-cut...is this standard for buying gems online?

I would like to potentially purchase from Etsy in the future, and it's helpful to know what is normal in the gem industry versus what may be questionable.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
ejacobson|1432667774|3881377 said:
Can anyone clarify for me whether that potentially Be-diffused sapphire on Etsy is priced significantly high given the probability of Be-treatment? I've read that Be-diffusion devalues a stone, but by what kind of margin? Is $3k for a 2 carat Be-diffused stone outrageous, slightly inflated, or expected?

Also, Henrika, I'm unclear as to why they won't send the sapphire in for certification--is it because GIA won't necessarily call it a pad, so they won't be able to charge as much?

And if someone is also able to comment on providing certificates for stones before they were re-cut...is this standard for buying gems online?

I would like to potentially purchase from Etsy in the future, and it's helpful to know what is normal in the gem industry versus what may be questionable.

3000 for a "MAYBE" Be treated 2 ct stone is ridiculous. I don't understand this vendor! :wall: Would be the first I would do - send this beautiful stone to AGL - if ONLY heated def. worth 3K. And no problem sell it. But you need a report for such a stone...

Henrikas_B

Rough_Rock
Apologies for somewhat late response.

SparklesLuver: the Spinel is really nice, thanks for sharing (but now I am only looking for a pad).

ejacobson: they said that they do not believe that the 2.07 ct. sapphire would indeed be labelled as "Padparadscha" by the GIA (i.e., they, themselves, think that the gem does not have the required colour to be certified as a pad by the GIA). Regarding the 3.15 ct. Pad: as they are going to have a holyday now, and I have a limited timeframe, they said it would make more sense for me to order the pad and send it to the GIA myself, and, if the gem wouldn't be certified as a pad from Sri Lanka, they would take it back. Because of all this, I am somewhat torn about buying something from them.

Marlow: thanks for the link. These gems are all from JupiterGem (and we have already discussed their gems in this thread earlier).

Does anyone have any comments on the video of the ATG's pad I uploaded above?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a ridiculous price for a possibly heat only stone and would only consider it if it came clean as not diffused. The "problem" with sending the stone to GIA yourself is that any snafus will be your responsibility (damage, loss or etc) whereas there is no worry for you if the vendor ships the stone to GIA. The ATG sapphire looks nice but not as impressive as the photograph. I think you have to consider where your compromise lies as the clock continues to tick. If I am not mistaken, GIA automatically tests for diffusion, but don't quote me on that. :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Ooopss :oops:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1432068249|3878641 said:
Marlow|1432063986|3878616 said:
Chrono|1432060509|3878582 said:
The 1.39 ct oval certainly warrants an in-person examination.

YES!

And wow!! I should sell some of my Sapphires now !!

Do it! And of course you will offer us a very special discounted price because we are ll friends. ;))

:D

youwill get a very special price - of course - but first Basel world - need an update....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results