shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie Mistake Need Help

chewybbq

Rough_Rock
To start a long story short, i bought a ring and diamond from Fred Meyer based on some recommendations for friends, I went in not know a lot of about diamonds just that I wanted a diamond that you could not see any flaws with the naked eye, i also requested that it be certified. So i purchased a 1kt Rount Brilliant diamond (Specs below), so I leave not thinking anything about the ring except that i couldnt see any flaws and trusted that a sales rep on commission would not try to sell me something cheap. I never gave the rep a budget. So fast forward a couple weeks my fiance comes home from work saying there is something on the diamond she slows me the ring and immediately i can see a little spot of black carbon. I quickly do some quick google searches and see this is common in I2 and start to question why a rep would sell me something that i specifically asked for it not to show. So yesterday i went back to ask some questions and see about a different diamond the new store said yes these diamonds typically always have some imperfections you can see, and i would have recommend an SI2 Ideal diamond for 7k. Thankfully they told me i can return the diamond for a full refund.

So my question is i know a lot sites sell loose diamonds online, could anyone direct me to a site that I can trust to get a quality diamond. My fiance is a very plain girl just wants something nice. If someone could post a couple links directly to diamonds as there are just so many to choose from. Thanks for helping someone new to diamonds out.

Has anyone had issues with diamonds chipping, cracking etc, the lady last night told me to watch buying online as if they crack they have no warranty, however if i bought the SI2 from them it was guaranteed.
Depth:66.9%
Table:53%
Crown:16.9
Pav:42.9
Thick, Faceted
Culet:NONE

Clarity I2
Color:H
Symmetry:VG
Polish: VG

Cut Grade: Good

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond is way to deep for a well cut round diamond.

www.jamesallen.com
www.whiteflash.com
www.goodoldgold.com

to name just a few. However, if you want eye-clean for sure you should be looking at VS1/2 stones. Many SI1 stones are
also eye-clean but you have to check with the vendor and ask at what distance they are using to look at the stone. Also,
clarity is graded face up...so you may even see something from the side of a VS2 stone (not sure if that will bother you
or not).

If you give us your budget and color/size specs we can point you to some well cut stones that will be eye-clean.

Edit - chipping and cracking. Any diamond when hit has a chance to chip, feather, break etc. Diamonds with more inclusion
will probably have a higher chance (guessing). This is fairly rare, but it does happen. We usually never recommend
anything lower than an SI1 around here. There are a few people on tight budgets that we help with SI2s.
Most people carry insurance on their rings (but not everyone) in case of damage.

Edit - for example here is a well cut H/VS2. You would have to ask the vendor if you can see anything from the side if that
is important to you.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.11-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-496755

Whiteflash stone ...have to drop down to an I color to stay under $7k
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3328838.htm

chewybbq

Rough_Rock
Thanks!

I'm looking for a round diamond middle of the color chart the one I bought was H, budget i would say under 7k the lower the better but open to suggestions.

I don't mind seeing an imperfection from the side, I just want to be able to look at it and not notice black spots.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was the stone you bought graded by GIA or AGS?

chewybbq

Rough_Rock
Looking for around 1kt

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
Need to know your budget for the 1 carat diamond. Options abound but the budget will determine where and what to look for.

Can't believe they sold you an I2, that's terrible.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
danielxlin|1432307120|3880077 said:
Need to know your budget for the 1 carat diamond. Options abound but the budget will determine where and what to look for.

He said $7k but the lower the better.

danielxlin

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1432307718|3880081 said:
danielxlin|1432307120|3880077 said:

He said $7k but the lower the better.

Thank you, haven't had my coffee yet.

How about this one? http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1ct-h-si1-premium-round-ideal-cut-diamond.html

Under budget at $6305 wire price, AGS Ideal light performance, pretty clean for an SI1. The feather, or whatever it is, looks like it could be obscured by a prong.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some options all within your budget (all under 7K) from Whiteflash. All are A Cut Above stones. Will look at other vendors later :).

I really like this one: Eye clean, 1.02 ct, H, SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3403387.htm

Also eye clean, 0.953, G, SI1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3273922.htm

0.922 ct, H, VS1
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3382617.htm

P.S. There are many 0.9 ct G/H options within your budget on WF's site.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you already returned the diamond? That's definitely the first thing I'd do - they sold you an overpriced diamond, sold you an I2 for an engagement ring, and tried to use scare tactics to boot. That's three strikes. Return that sucker and keep looking.

BTW I don't recall anyone coming here with complaints about a diamond bought online from a PS vendor chipping or cracking due to an inclusion. Most reputable vendors wouldn't sell you a stone with such a significant structural flaw.

chewybbq

Rough_Rock
I'll look those over tonight!! Thanks for all the help. I have not returned the diamond as I would like to do the unmount remount and resize all at once the fiancé doesn't want to be without her ring for very long.

Again another newbie question, are these Laser etched or anything so I can confirm the diamond I buy is the one mounted in the ring.

I wish I would have discovered this site before I went shopping!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash ACAs and Brian Gavin Diamonds will all be laser inscribed. Others may also...check the GIA/AGS reports. They should
make note of it.

A lot of Pricescopers with SI1 stones buy a loupe and match up the inclusions with whats on the reports so they know their stones.
Most of us are well associated with the inclusions in our stones...we're weird that way :cheeky: .

craiguk

Rough_Rock
As somebody looking for something similar but SI1 I've found that whiteflash offer threat value. BGD and James Allen seem a touch more expensive to me for equivelant diamonds.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
VRBeauty|1432318910|3880159 said:
Have you already returned the diamond? That's definitely the first thing I'd do - they sold you an overpriced diamond, sold you an I2 for an engagement ring, and tried to use scare tactics to boot. That's three strikes. Return that sucker and keep looking.

I don't know of the store you purchased your diamond from but you definitely want to be sure to return it STAT.

Some stores have a limited or 30 day return policy and I would want my funds back in my account and not tied up.
With your budget you have some very nice options.

ditto's JDDN's recommendation of
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3403387.htm :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
16ocean|1432331977|3880243 said:
VRBeauty|1432318910|3880159 said:

I don't know of the store you purchased your diamond from but you definitely want to be sure to return it STAT.

Some stores have a limited or 30 day return policy and I would want my funds back in my account and not tied up.
With your budget you have some very nice options.

ditto's JDDN's recommendation of
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3403387.htm :love:
Nice stone!

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, the Whiteflash one seems like a good one for the price!

You do get what you pay for. I like to think of the four C's like sliders on a sound board. Side up and down for each one; they're all important and each affects price. Your biggest contributor to cost is your 1.00 carat minimum. I notice you wrote, "Looking for around 1 kt." Carat and karat are different as you know: carat refers to weight. 1 carat is 0.2 grams. Diamonds are sold by weight, but it's really size (spread, or diameter in millimeters) that you see.

How big is your lady's finger? How wide will the band of the ring be? 1.00 carat is an important weight because a lot of customers like the sound of it (compared to like 0.97 carats). If I put a superbly-cut 0.97 carat stone next to a decently-cut 1.02 carat stone, you might be hard-pressed to tell the difference. It's even harder when they're not directly next to each other.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from your parameters of a 1.00 carat stone or the rest of your budget. But with round brilliants, weight increases much faster than diameter; the proportions generally stay about the same and it's a three-dimensional object. For example, a 10-pointer (0.10 carat, like an accent stone) might be 3.0 millimeters. However, it's not a linear scale: if you multiply the weight by ten to get 1.0 carat, your spread is only about 6.4 or 6.5 millimeters.

Another example: a .33 carat and a .66 carat stone. The former is likely about 4.4 millimeters, and the latter 5.5 millimeters. Half the weight but 80% the spread.

Why is this important? Because cutters know customers like the magic number of 1.00 carat, they often save money by cutting heavy: that is, they'll intentionally keep the stone as heavy as they can while still staying (barely) within GIA's generous "excellent cut" margins. Better light performance means more waste; more of the stone is cut away. Better cutters who have customers who demand ideal performance will cut as they should, but it costs more. Around the 1.00 carat mark, you're almost paying a premium for the number.

If we switched the value system, would it be as apparent? A grain is another measurement, often used for weighing gunpowder. If I had two diamonds in front of you, and one sparkled a bit more for the same budget, would it matter if that one was 3.01 grains and the other 3.09? (3.086 grains is approximately a carat by the way.)

I'd recommend looking at size and not just weight. If you consider the four C's as variables you can move up and down, dipping closer to 6.00 mm rather than 6.5 mm opens up some more options. I like informed decisions and want your budget to work for you. Some folks like the mental aspect of, "It's a 1 carat diamond," and some don't care as long as it's sparkly. Just something to consider! :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results