shape
carat
color
clarity

Will Supreme Court rule gay marriage constitutional in June?

Do U think the SCOTUS will pass gay marriage in June?

• Yes

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a few weeks the US Supreme court is expected to rule on the constitutionality of gay marriage.

This new Gallup poll says a quickly-growing 60% of Americans now support same sex marriage.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/183272/record-high-americans-support-sex-marriage.aspx

What say you?
Do you think it will pass or not?

The question is NOT do you think it's right or wrong, but how do you think the highest court will rule?
Justice Kennedy is apparently the swing vote.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Will Supreme Court rule gay marriage constitutional in J

I think it will probably pass. I hope they realize it is the only *just* choice.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

missy|1432202865|3879506 said:
I think it will probably pass. I hope they realize it is the only *just* choice.
this

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have no clue...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As I have said in other postings, I have been teaching a class for immigrants who want to take the citizenship test since November of 2014. Last Saturday our class discussed the Judicial Branch of the government and what it does. The attorney co-teaching the class with me had brought in some examples of Supreme Court cases for discussion. We noted that in Brown v. The Board of Education The Supreme Court reversed its earlier ruling on segregation in Plessy v. Ferguson. That led to a discussion on what makes The Supreme Court change its own policies. One of the things that affects The Supreme Court is the thinking of the American people.

I do not think that anyone could have predicted how swiftly public opinion in this country changed about same sex marriage. What would never have been accepted even 15 years ago is widely accepted today. Almost 40 states have legalized it. That will certainly affect The Supreme Court's ruling.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hope so, and I hope they rule in favor because I am sick to death of the religious making decisions for everyone else in this country and this world.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF|1432216703|3879578 said:
As I have said in other postings, I have been teaching a class for immigrants who want to take the citizenship test since November of 2014. Last Saturday our class discussed the Judicial Branch of the government and what it does. The attorney co-teaching the class with me had brought in some examples of Supreme Court cases for discussion. We noted that in Brown v. The Board of Education The Supreme Court reversed its earlier ruling on segregation in Plessy v. Ferguson. That led to a discussion on what makes The Supreme Court change its own policies. One of the things that affects The Supreme Court is the thinking of the American people.

I do not think that anyone could have predicted how swiftly public opinion in this country changed about same sex marriage. What would never have been accepted even 15 years ago is widely accepted today. Almost 40 states have legalized it. That will certainly affect The Supreme Court's ruling.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

I too am astonished by the speed of the change.

I think the key was many of us coming out of the closet.
Now many people know that they've always known one of us and we aren't all wearing rainbow wigs, Speedos and high heels.
Rather, we are just like them.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they don't find a way to dump it back onto each individual state, this is my guess on how each one will vote:
Roberts-no
Scalia-no
Thomas-no
Alito-no

Ginsburg-yes
Sotomayor-yes
Kagan-yes

Kennedy-?
Breyer-?

If Kennedy goes with the "no" votes, it probably won't be ruled constitutional. At this point, I'm not sure which way it will go.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1432192898|3879488 said:

The question is NOT do you think it's right or wrong, but how do you think the highest court will rule?
Yes, I think it will pass. I didn't know that Justice Kennedy was born and raised in our home town, in fact we attended the same HS of course in a different era... :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Why is this even still an issue?

It should have been done eons ago. :appl:

I guess because no one could find a way to make money off of it, it takes forever. Just do it already.

But, based on that "corporations have personal rights" nonsense, this is a dumb supreme court . . . :rolleyes:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire|1432230446|3879730 said:
kenny|1432192898|3879488 said:

Yes, I think it will pass. I didn't know that Justice Kennedy was born and raised in our home town, in fact we attended the same HS of course in a different era... :bigsmile:

He was living in the Land Park neighborhood when he was invited to join the Supremes. I'm kinda guessing he calls D.C. home now though! Anyhow, it's expected that Kennedy will author the decision for the court - or the minority opinion, should the court vote against extending gay marriage.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

I hope so!!!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I was just thinking about this this morning. If all is right in the world - then yes it will. Unfortunately humans can be assh*les and make horrible decisions. So let's say that I'm expecting the worst but hoping for the best; until then I'll be holding my breath (with some lifesaving breaths in between).

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I sure hope so!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I hope so. I don't live in the US, so I'm not familiar with how individuals are likely to vote, but I hope they make the right decision.

I was in the Scottish Parliament when the vote in favour of the Equal Marriages (Scotland)Act was passed. It was a very emotional day.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Who would have thought, say 10 years ago, that the voters in the Reoublic of Ireland would approve -- by a healthy majority -- an amendment to their constitution that enables same sex couples to marry? Awesome

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock

So proud to be Irish today :appl:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scarlett1|1432414649|3880478 said:
So proud to be Irish today :appl:

Me too Scarlett1!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1432218592|3879598 said:
I hope so, and I hope they rule in favor because I am sick to death of the religious making decisions for everyone else in this country and this world.

This.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MollyMalone|1432412436|3880468 said:
Who would have thought, say 10 years ago, that the voters in the Reoublic of Ireland would approve -- by a healthy majority -- an amendment to their constitution that enables same sex couples to marry? Awesome

Yup - and this is a country in which 90% of the people identify themselves as practicing Christians.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty|1432430558|3880520 said:

Yup - and this is a country in which 90% of the people identify themselves as practicing Christians.

90%?
Oh really?
Try 71% ... and falling fast.

SNIP:
"Pew Research Center found that 71% of Americans identified as Christian in 2014 - down from 78% in 2007.
In the same period, Americans identifying as having no religion grew from 16% to 23%.
Fifty-six million Americans do not observe any religion, the second largest community after Evangelicals.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32710444

Ella, please don't ban me.
Two other posters brought up religion up; I just did you you always ask of me ... to post facts.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny|1432434144|3880535 said:
VRBeauty|1432430558|3880520 said:

90%?
Oh really?
Try 71% ... and falling fast.

SNIP:
"Pew Research Center found that 71% of Americans identified as Christian in 2014 - down from 78% in 2007.
In the same period, Americans identifying as having no religion grew from 16% to 23%.
Fifty-six million Americans do not observe any religion, the second largest community after Evangelicals.

Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-32710444

Ella, please don't ban me.
Two other posters brought up religion up; I just did you you always ask of me ... to post facts.

She's talking about Ireland.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Neil.
I stand corrected.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Scarlett1|1432414649|3880478 said: