shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! with Mother's ring ideas

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I am really struggling with ideas for a Mother's ring for myself. I have been thinking about this project for a while and still can't make a decision. My kid's birthmonths are June and April so Alexandrite(which I am not super fond of) and Diamond (which I am super fond of). I would also like to add a stone for my husband (peridot) and our dogs (December) but want to do both of those as very small and likely hidden. I was thinking of stackers. I really like Erika Winters rings with the brushed finishes. I was thinking about the Liv http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Liv.html in brushed gold for the diamonds, the Lily http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Lily.html in brushed gold or platinum with the Alex stones instead of diamonds, and the Viola http://www.erikawinters.com/Wedding-Bands-Viola.html in brushed gold or platinum or white gold which is unplated with no diamonds but this would be the ring for the 2 hidden stones and stack these three. The total cost would be about $8k which I think is what is making me hesitate.

Before I spend that much money I wanted to see if anyone had other ideas and if I am totally off my rocker! I work at a job where I was my hands alot. I would want to wear these rings all the time. I would be hesitant to get anything that has a large stone or things that stick up because I think it would be cumbersome. These are really very sentimental items for me and I am looking for them to be something I don't mind at all having on all day. The other issue is the width with all three. Any suggestions for sizing up since they will go so far up my finger so they are comfortable? How do I adjust size for that. Also, any suggestions for other ring options that you know of? I am not a huge fan of the multistone single ring. I have seen one done with a Beverly K setting. It was lovely but really not my style. I am looking for something with stones not hugely bigger than each other but something that makes an individual statement for each being represented (with the items for my husband and dogs being less noticable but still represented to me).

Thanks for any help!!!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Oops, typo! I work at a job where I wash my hands a lot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alexandrite appreciate lots of light, so they might not perform as nicely if bezeled and/or recessed. They tend to black out or end up some weird/mixed muddy colouration. Peridot is a soft stone and may not hold up well over time. Even if hidden (unless on the inside of the shank), the crown is still exposed. The benefit of peridot though, is that they are very common and inexpensive, hence should not be an issue to replace.

I cannot wear stackers because my fingers are short and stubby. Others have no issues wearing 3 or more stacks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those rings are very beautiful, but I would not put a stone like peridot in any daily wear ring. I also would not wear rings that nice while doing work with my hands. What kind of work are you talking about?

Really, alexandrite is hard, and then sapphire and ruby would be the only stones I'd consider in any daily wear bands aside from diamonds.

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Chrono, VRBeauty and diamondseeker! Those are lots of great points. I would plan on the peridot and December stone being hidden inside the Viola plain band so hopefully that will help with the safety. I work in a children's hospital so I wash my hands a lot and use gloves a lot. I was really hoping to find something that would weather wearing all the time well since the diamonds and the Alex are sturdy stones. I LOVE the finishes on Erika's rings. So understated and beautiful. That is mostly my style. Nothing too big and flashy. I love the French cut stones in the Liv particularly. My engagement ring is an OEC that was my husband's grandmother's. It is set in a plain gold band that is ~6.5 mm wide so with my wedding ring it is ~9 mm. I really don't wear my engagement ring often because it is too tight but resizing it is on my list of things to do!

I did see the mother's ring link and love those ideas but all except the thicker band with multistones seem to have a little too much going on for an everyday ring for me. I do really like that ring but for the wear I want to give it and the idea of having to add the peridot and december stone to an exposed surface seems like not the best option. Their uniqueness is what has me inspired though. As I said before I am really looking to step outside the traditional ring you see when you google search mother's ring. I like the idea of each ring kind of having its own identity.

I have considered trying to design one ring but I have absolutely no vision when it comes to things like this so I really appreciate any comments/suggestions others have to offer!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahhh, well if the stones are set inside the shank, then you will be fine! I love those rings with diamonds! I don't know how they'd do with putting gloves on and off, but that is true of any rings. I think these would be lovely mother's rings, though, with the hidden stones!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I have five kids, whose birthstone really don't work together so I had to find another option.

I chose a crisscross style band where the white bands with white diamonds represent my boys and the rose gold with pink diamonds represent my girls.

It is very low profile, good for working mom's hand yet BLINGY for a diamond loving girl.

Just another option

:bigsmile:

img_0380.jpg

Bishbunch

Rough_Rock
I think you made an excellent choice - unique, blingy, and beautiful!

susief

Shiny_Rock
The bands are beautiful but you don't have to stick to birthstones, if you aren't 100% happy with them. You could do pink and blue sapphires to represent boys/girls (don't know which you have), or just choose ones that you feel represent each child. Maybe one that suits their personality, e.g. a bright ruby? Matches their eyes? Their favourite colour?

DS's birthstone is amethyst which I'm not keen on, so I chose a blue sapphire to represent him. He is 2 now. He likes to pat the sapphire with his finger saying "my ring, sparkly blue" :)

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
lovemybling, your rings are beautiful! I love the sparkle and shape with them being intertwined. Thanks for the kind words Bishbunch. It is great to have thoughts from another set of eyes. Great point susief about the stones. Other than diamonds I have never fallen in love with anything so it is easier for me to just default to those stones. I do NOT have the creative gene so all these suggestions are so helpful!!! Thanks and keep them coming please!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Lilysweet, just to clarify that is one ring it just looks like multiple bands.
:naughty:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW I really like the Erica Winters bands you posted, particularly the Lily. As susief noted, you don't have to use the traditional birthstones to represent each child. In addition to favorite colors and eye colors, you could use team colors, gemstones associated with where they were born, stones associated with their astrological sign, stones that remind you of their favorite places (think ocean, forest, etc...) or pastimes. The ring has to be special to you - who cares whether anyone else can "read" it! Besides, there's more than one set of "traditional" gemstones: this chart shows a whole bunch of alternatives: http://www.bernardine.com/birthstone/all-birthstones.htm.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results