carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: The Official TTC Thread!

Whoa that's really weird! Fingers crossed!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Hi, ladies! Dipping a toe into the TTC thread waters... my husband and I are going to start TTC this summer (maybe as soon as next week!) and I've read through the what-to-think-about-before-TTC thread (only 14 posts long?)... but there is so much awesome pre-TTC advice in this thread, all cuddled up with the sticky-bean-dust and super awesome support, and I'm selfishly asking for some of the collected wisdom for my situation.

I've been on a Mirena IUD for 6.5 years (it's OK, I'm in a follow-up research study to see if it keeps working past the 5-year mark! :) ) and before that was on BCPs, "stacking" for many years, so I haven't actually had a natural cycle since I was 15 (I'm a wee bit north of 30 now). Periods were always horrible - that's why I got on BCPs, and despite BCPs still had uncomfortable cramps even with heavy-duty ibuprofen, but it wasn't so bad since it was predictable and I could start the meds before any bleeding - and I haven't even had anything resembling a period for about 6.3 years on the Mirena.

So I'm worried about (1) how much it might hurt to get my Mirena out and (2) how bad things are going to get after Mirena is out! The things I'm looking forward to are, though, maybe getting my interest in BDing a little better (we manage 2-3x/week but that's not enough for him and too much for me!) and hoping, praying that the adult acne that's been the bane of my life since going off spironolactone 18 months ago (ha - definitely premature, did it for TTC and 18 months later I think we're finally actually ready!) gets better. (Please don't say it's definitely getting worse. If that happens, I'll deal with it, but you'll make me cry!) And then, of course, TTC. :saint:

Any ex-Mirena users out there? If I google Mirena and TTC, basically I get a ton of stories about I-never-even-had-a-period-since-i-was-pregnant-as-soon-as-they-took-it-out but I am SURE that isn't a representative sample. Given how much I'm going to miss sashimi and sweet, sweet white wine, I am totally fine with waiting.

Um, also, this one is a little weird, but -- I'm a MD in residency training and my primary doc, who I completely love, said "If you aren't pregnant in 3 months and you've got a tight window [this makes sense because our lives, as residents, aren't our own and sometimes you just HAVE TO GET PREGNANT NOW or you will be in a tight spot with jobs/colleague coverage/graduation/etc], let me know and I'll refer you for a HSG. Sometimes "blowing out the tubes" is all you need, I've seen it a few times." Is that... like, a real thing? (I am NOT an OB/gyn and try to stay away from that world just about as much as possible :) )

TIA! Excited to learn everyone's stories, and sticky dust to all! :)

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Welcome, Evergreen! I've never had an IUD, so I'm afraid I'm not much help re: Mirena. I would assume, however, that it's a very individual thing, like with BCP, in that some women will get their cycle back immediately as if it nothing happened and others take a little longer. As for the HSG helping with fertility, I've definitely heard reports of it working some kind of magic (for some women), and of docs telling patients to go home and have lots of sex after having one. Granted, most are women prescribed an HSG because they're otherwise having trouble getting preg despite everything else looking good, so it's impossible to know if it helps them because it somehow clears up their problem or if it is just more broadly helpful. If nothing else, if it might help, and at the same time identify or rule out other problems, it probably can't hurt to take him up on the offer! :lol:

I was trying to remember how my body responded to coming off BCP in 2008, which reminded me of a story I meant to share here. I was SO annoyed by the nurse at my obgyn appt in Jan. She was going over my new patient form, in which I had noted we were about to start TTC and that I had been using fertility awareness to avoid pregnancy after stopping BCP in 2008. She asks about what I'd written, so I reiterated that I used temping and fertility sign tracking to follow my cycle and avoid pregnancy, and after my checkup we were going to start trying to get pregnant - and her reaction is "so, you've been married since 2008, no condoms or other birth control in all those years, and you've never gotten pregnant?" with a face and raised eyebrows that screamed "oh, honey, you're a poor fool in need of fertility treatments". I swallowed my annoyance, but I seriously wanted to throttle her. Thankfully, the doc I saw was great and said that with my age (33) and obvious knowledge of my body after my years of charting, she recommended we give it no more than 6 months on our own before calling her. I'm planning to go back to her once we get a BFP or hit 6 months, but I really hope to avoid that nurse.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No Mirena but I did have the implanon/nexplanon implant for about 5 years (had it replaced once), my first cycle lasted almost 70 days. I was temping to track ovulation and using OPKs and my body geared up to ovulate and failed and then did again 30 days later or so and actually did ovulate. After that first cycle I had mostly normal cycles (ovulating day 15) with a 12 day LP. Once we started trying we had 3 cycles with so so timing and 3 with good timing and got PG. I was taking vitex for a few months and then added royal jelly and on the last cycle CoQ10 and Maca.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I'm 8 or 9dpo, my temp finally stopped rising and dropped back some today, and still BFN this morning. Right now I've got some really mild cramp/pressure type feelings across the same area I feel menstrual cramps, so that has me completely distracted from the work I should be doing. It's too early for them to be menstrual cramps, unless AF shows really early for some reason (LP is normally 13 days).

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

Evergreen- here are my thoughts upon your first post. First off, how bad are your periods? I'm just curious because mine are insanely bad and I ended up having endometriosis which is probably something you want to find out before you get too far along with ttc (or at least I wish I had gone in instead of waiting 1.5 years).

As for HSG, usually they don't do that until you start testing for infertility. I had my first one as a sono HSG (done with water instead of dye) and a second one during my last endo surgery with the blue dye. Following that surgery, I got pregnant, but miscarried. So maybe that is why we got pg? Maybe it was from the surgery? We don't really know but I don't think you are supposed to have it done very often unless needed for testing.

Good luck to you and I hope your stay here is short :)

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ladyciel, guess that nurse is not familiar with FAM or charting. One would think that working in OB's office exposes them to something besides hormonal bcp.

Evergreen, I've never heard of doing hcg other than during fertility treatment but perhaps some doctors do it as a prophylactic treatment. Some women find it painful so you should read up on it beforehand.

AFM, CD10 and need to get going but I've had a terrible cough and headache for past 3 days so not in the mood. Hopefully we won't miss this cycle completely.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Baby M, I hope you feel better quickly and can get down to enjoying business! Yes, it was obvious she didn't understand FAM and/or equated it to the "rhythm" method, but what bothered me so much, I think, was the judgement in her face/tone. She wrote me off as an idiot in that instant, it was clear, and that just never feels good. It also brought a momentary, but gut-punching, cloud of doubt - what if she was right and we didn't get pregnant using FAM for so many years because we secretly suffer from interfility? I know we didn't get pregnant because we were extremely careful and conservative in avoiding my fertile window, but as everybody here knows, fertility isn't something you can always feel 100% rational about...

DPO 9/10, temp jumped back up to 98.7... no symptoms right now, BFN with FMU. Just willing the days to pass quickly so I can stop wondering.

April20

Ideal_Rock

ladyciel|1432040817|3878435 said:
Baby M, I hope you feel better quickly and can get down to enjoying business! Yes, it was obvious she didn't understand FAM and/or equated it to the "rhythm" method, but what bothered me so much, I think, was the judgement in her face/tone. She wrote me off as an idiot in that instant, it was clear, and that just never feels good. It also brought a momentary, but gut-punching, cloud of doubt - what if she was right and we didn't get pregnant using FAM for so many years because we secretly suffer from interfility? I know we didn't get pregnant because we were extremely careful and conservative in avoiding my fertile window, but as everybody here knows, fertility isn't something you can always feel 100% rational about...

DPO 9/10, temp jumped back up to 98.7... no symptoms right now, BFN with FMU. Just willing the days to pass quickly so I can stop wondering.

LC: That nurse was obviously uninformed as to what FAM involves. I, too, wondered if we were avoiding pregnancy because we were following FAM rules or if maybe there was actually something "wrong" with one of us. You can't help but wonder. I wouldn't worry about that being truly an issue until it's an issue. Easier said than done, huh?

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

April20 said:
LC: That nurse was obviously uninformed as to what FAM involves. I, too, wondered if we were avoiding pregnancy because we were following FAM rules or if maybe there was actually something "wrong" with one of us. You can't help but wonder. I wouldn't worry about that being truly an issue until it's an issue. Easier said than done, huh?

"Easier said than done" - Isn't that the case with EVERYTHING related to making, growing, delivering and raising babies?? :lol: Case in point - it is easier said than done to ignore and not obsess on the cramps I've had all afternoon. They're true menstrual-type cramps, and I don't typically get them before AF arrives. She isn't due for 4-5 days.

amc80

Ideal_Rock

I'm definitely not TTC right now, seeing how baby T isn't even 4 months old. But *someone* didn't do what he was supposed to do because (his words) I'm "not in the fertile window." Ummm, yeah, I'm on freaking CD10. I O anywhere from CD14-19. I might actually kill him.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Ruh roh. The bright side of this story is you're managing to get time in for you and *someone* w/ a 4mo old, but that may have just come to a grinding halt with him kicked to the doghouse! One hope is that the stress of a possible BFP will make ov late this month, maybe?

amc80

Ideal_Rock
ladyciel said:
Ruh roh. The bright side of this story is you're managing to get time in for you and *someone* w/ a 4mo old, but that may have just come to a grinding halt with him kicked to the doghouse! One hope is that the stress of a possible BFP will make ov late this month, maybe?

I hope so! The only reason I'm not totally freaking out is my first full post-weaning cycle last time was super long, I don't think I O's until cd21 or something. So hopefully history repeats itself.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Fingers crossed, amc!! If you're critically concerned....I can't remember where you're located, but if it's available by you, you could consider Plan B. I know I've seen it over the counter in the aisle with the pee sticks/contraceptives at drugstores/Target, though it's pricey. It's supposed to stop ov/fertilization/implantation from happening.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock

amc, how many months postpartum were you when you started ovulating after B? The odds must be in your favor given that you are only 4 months PP and this happened on CD10 with earliest possible O day being CD14. Not great since anywhere in the O-5 range would be "avoidable" territory, but still better than something closer. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I completely understand--DH is hoping for an "accident" these days though after Coco I'm completely done. Plus I know you are in the midst of job-hunting (still? Not sure if you accepted a position) and moving, so timing would not be ideal for several reasons. I really think you're fine, but I've had a couple of stressful months and I know how it feels. Lots of luck to you!

amc80

Ideal_Rock

ladyciel|1432123132|3878942 said:
Fingers crossed, amc!! If you're critically concerned....I can't remember where you're located, but if it's available by you, you could consider Plan B. I know I've seen it over the counter in the aisle with the pee sticks/contraceptives at drugstores/Target, though it's pricey. It's supposed to stop ov/fertilization/implantation from happening.

I'm of the "if it's meant to be, it's meant to be" mindset. We do want one more, just not quite so soon!

NewEnglandLady said:
amc, how many months postpartum were you when you started ovulating after B? The odds must be in your favor given that you are only 4 months PP and this happened on CD10 with earliest possible O day being CD14. Not great since anywhere in the O-5 range would be "avoidable" territory, but still better than something closer. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I completely understand--DH is hoping for an "accident" these days though after Coco I'm completely done. Plus I know you are in the midst of job-hunting (still? Not sure if you accepted a position) and moving, so timing would not be ideal for several reasons. I really think you're fine, but I've had a couple of stressful months and I know how it feels. Lots of luck to you!

With both B and T, I stopped BFing and got AF about a month later. I know I O'd in April (after stopping BFing in early April) because I had EWCM and then O pain, and then AF came 14 days later. Like I said, it wouldn't be the end of the world, but definitely not ideal timing. But, you know, life happens. And yes, I did get a job! We are moving in a few weeks. I will update the job hunting thread.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Well, I've been wishing I could stop focusing on symptoms, but not like this. I've mentioned that DH does a lot of driving for work. Today, on his way home from a trip, he hit a deer on the highway (around 10am...full daylight). He's ok, thank goodness, just really shaken up. He was in the left lane, and there was a pickup towing a trailer in the right. All of a sudden, the truck swerves over into DH's lane, forcing DH to slam on the brakes. He didn't know why, until suddenly the deer comes into view on the right, previously hidden from view by the truck, running straight into the path of DH's car. There was absolutely nothing he could do. I haven't seen the car yet, but I'm told the hood and driver's side lights are smashed up. It was still drivable, thankfully, and the sheriff was nice enough to follow behind DH a few miles to make sure there weren't any hidden problems. He got home in one piece, the insurance claim is started, and the car goes into the shop in the morning....I'm just so glad DH is ok. Of course, every person he talked to, from the guy who pulled over to check if he was ok, to the sheriff, to the insurance rep, was kind enough to point out "wow, you're really lucky - those things kill!". Because he didn't already have every possible bad outcome rushing through his head on repeat. :rolleyes: He drives an acura rsx...not a large car by ANY measure. I told him this has me thinking more about what our next car should be. His answer? "A tank."

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Phew for your DH being OK! As long as the car takes the hit and not him! I would think any car that sits higher up (SUV/crossover) would be best for something like deer since the driver sits higher up. Personally I'm waiting for Ford to bring back the Escape Hybrid and then I'll be all over that. I have an Altima hybrid now and while I love it I would prefer to be higher up.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

ladyc, I'm so glad your husband is OK! My fingers & toes are crossed for you this cycle. Also, what a rude nurse who definitely doesn't deserve to work in ob/gyn -- um, hello, of all people she should know that it's possible to be diligent with charting and do it well. She should bow down in the presence of greatness because most people get lazy and mess up. Well done you!

Asscher, we have a 2013 Escape and the gas mileage bites. Good plan to wait for the hybrid to come back. I'm trying to decide if I should start temping right away or just kind of roll with it. Probably rolling, honestly, because I'm terrible at waking up early and accomplishing anything other than rote tasks. Congrats on your quick success!!

random, I honestly have no clue how bad my periods are - I haven't had them in a non-hormonally-controlled setting for, like, 95% of my menstruating life. If they're really bad you better believe I'll be at the gyn's office whining about it... I literally cannot take a morning off work to let the advil catch up without causing major upheaval. Is there anything to do about endometriosis, or just suffer through it while TTC? My impression is the latter... :( it sounds like a really tough diagnosis and I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

baby, ha, I'd have to imagine a HSG is painful. I'd be scared to go right to it like my primary suggests... it's... well, give me 3 months of trying & find out if I'm a patient enough person to walk that walk, since she's apparently (1) in awe of its powers and (2) completely willing to order it. (Yikes. Insert statement about expensive US medical care here.)

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, we're definitely considering a van or SUV/crossover something or other! Aside from the safety/visibility, I've wanted one for a while, largely because I'm a DIYer who gets frustrated at not being able to get things home without getting really creative, getting help from a friend, or renting a truck. Now, as the time is (hopefully!) getting closer, I'm also thinking of all the benefits a larger vehicle would bring with kiddos and carseats and strollers entering the picture. It's been on my mind, even before this deer accident, because the a/c in my camry died at the end of the summer. The car is just too old to justify the $$$ repair, so I warned DH that unless we have extreme difficulty TTC, our deadline to replace it is the first hot day of 2016. Wanting to take an infant somewhere + a 100+ degree car with no way to get it cooled down first is not a compatible situation! Alternatively, I am NOT getting into a 100+ degree car when I'm huge and pregnant!

How is everybody doing? Am I the only one in the TWW? I'm 11 or 12 dpo, wondfos still say neg. My normal LP is 13. Three days ago I had light cramping, then full on AF scale cramps for two days, and today back to the light ones. Spotting comes and goes, ranging from super brown to bright red, but pre-AF spotting is my norm so who knows. The cramps before AF starts, however, are foreign to me and have part of me fully expecting to see a BFP. The rest of me sees the usual spotting and is convinced I shouldn't be doing anything other than preparing myself for another letdown. I have one FRER left. I've been holding it all afternoon because I'm really tempted to use it when I get home. What do you ladies think - save it for later, or just go for it?

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock

evergreen|1432172569|3879399 said:
random, I honestly have no clue how bad my periods are - I haven't had them in a non-hormonally-controlled setting for, like, 95% of my menstruating life. If they're really bad you better believe I'll be at the gyn's office whining about it... I literally cannot take a morning off work to let the advil catch up without causing major upheaval. Is there anything to do about endometriosis, or just suffer through it while TTC? My impression is the latter... :( it sounds like a really tough diagnosis and I'm sorry you're dealing with it.

There are options for endometriosis while ttc. Usually it is surgery to remove the endometriosis. It's not too horrible, costs about $300 after insurance and recovery is about a week. There currently isn't any cure for endometriosis though, so it will come back after the surgery. Generally, a lot of REs will plan to do an iui about a month after surgery to take advantage of the open fertility window and a lot will also perform the HSG during surgery which is what I had done. It DOES suck but only 40% of the women with endometriosis in the world have their fertility affected by it. It's certainly not the end of the world if you do have it :))

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ladyciel, that's a scary thing with your DH. Thank goodness he's ok. I'm probably too late for your POAS question but I'd say wait.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

CD1

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bugger :blackeye: Sorry to hear that lc.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock

Took out my Mirena tonight, emboldened by a few glasses of wine (goodbye, wine!) during our Memorial Day bbq. Whoa. Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. But we're excited. Also, whoa. :-o

p.s. for anyone who has access to medical equipment like magill- or similar ring-forceps and has never been pregnant, that was surprisingly easy. Not advising it, y'know, but it didn't hurt as much as I worried it would, and it also explained to me how women sometimes "lose" or "expel" their IUDs. Everyone should check for their strings monthly because it just feels like a cramp coming out, you could potentially miss it! (OK, these women aren't on TTC, probably, but STILL. Public service announcement. If you like your IUD, check your strings tonight!)

p.p.s. NOT ADVISING SELF-REMOVAL. Prone to over-share because of the wine. Consult your doctor, etc etc etc. ETA: many terrifying things can go wrong like breaking off your strings. SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

oh, evergreen. What are we going to do with you??? :lol: :-o :lol: Welcome to TTC!

AFM, I definitely found a doc after my own heart. I've only seen her once, in Jan, but after my pre-AF spotting being worse this month, with the sudden addition of early cramps, I decided to contact her and ask if I should be concerned/was it worth making an appt sooner than 6 months of us trying. I sent her a message through the online portal, including a detailed description of the spotting and my cycle. And, instead of being miffed/skeptical like doctors I've had in the past might be, she actually thanked me for all the detail, said it was really helpful, and laid out a gameplan. Working under the idea that it could be a LPD, she's writing me a script for prometrium (progesterone) to take for 14 days starting the day after ov (and only stop if I get a BFN on day 14). If it doesn't improve the early spotting (and I don't get a BFP), then I'm supposed to call the office to schedule an ultrasound with saline infusion (SIS) to check my uterus. I am loving her style - no bull, proactive, and 100% respectful/appreciative of what I know about my body/cycle. Feeling a bit of relief overall, though now I'm just really hoping the progesterone does the trick and I can avoid the SIS/bigger issues.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow evergreen, no wonder they say don't drink and drive. Maybe it should be appended to 'don't drink and take out your IUD' :lol: Good to know it didn't hurt too much. I considered getting Mirena couple of years ago but never actually went through with it.

ladyciel, great that you found a doctor who actually listens and is open to discussion. Makes for much easier patient experience.

AFM, 6DPO and had such a weird dream last night. I dreamed of getting a positive FRER and sitting there thinking, wow, this actually happened. And then thinking that I need to make sure to test wondfos just to check that they actually work. Just goes to show how much mental energy this ttc process is taking up! :cheeky:

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi, ladies. I haven't been here in a while because we decided to give up trying a few months ago after 14 months of not getting pregnant, so I could go on a diet to lose the weight I had gained while TTC. The diet didn't work so well, which is frustrating, and I am taking a break from the diet, so we decided to give it a try this month. I think I am 7dpo right now, although FF says I am 6dpo based only on when I got the first positive OPK. So...the next week will be...well, you know how it is.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock

Baby M, I can completely relate both to dreaming about TTC details and to thinking about checking the Wondfos again after getting a BFP with something else.

Welcome back, Tourmaline. It sounds like you definitely deserved a break - I'm sorry to hear the diet didn't turn out as you hoped. I've been struggling recently to find the motivation to exercise and eat better, and it's showing on the scale. I think about it a lot, and you'd think that better preparing my body for the biggest change of its life would be a nice big carrot, but it just hasn't translated into action. I think it's a combination of stress and feeling a bit each month like it might be my last month of "freedom to misbehave" for a long time. Fingers crossed for your tww!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results