shape
carat
color
clarity

1.72 BN or 1.74 WF ES? proposal next sunday!!!

BLUEandGOLD

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

Wow, first post, but its a big one. First i'd like to thank everyone for putting their thoughts in this forum. I've been reading for about a month now, and need to pull the trigger, as the proposal day is coming up next Sunday. I'm debating between blue nile vs. Whiteflash. What do you guys think? Its really just a question of H color vs J color...right? I trust WF more because of its expert selected, but i'm not sure how the J will look... please help. Thanks!!!

Blue Nile-$12872

http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD05273518?click_id=317849982

Carat Weight: 1.72 Carat
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
GIA Ex Ex Ex
Flour: medium blue
HCA: 1.7 TIC

Depth % 62.3
Table % 57.0
Crown Angle 35
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Lower Girdle % 80.0

Thoughts: The vendor says its a great color H, and is eye clean. There is a black inclusion right smack dab in the middle of the table, but he told me I wouldnt be able to see it. you can actually see it in this video. I was able to look it up on Enchanted Diamonds: https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Round/GIA-Certified-1,72-Carat-H-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-TTVZJY

ld05273518.jpg

WhiteFlash Expert Selection-$12,271

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3307395.htm

Carat Weight: 1.74 Carat
Color: J
Clarity: VS1
GIA Ex Ex Ex
Flour: faint
HCA: 1.4 TIC

Depth % 62.5
Table % 55.0
Crown Angle 34.5
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Lower Girdle % 75.0

Thoughts: The yellow makes me nervous. I'll be putting it on a platinum 4 prong setting. So maybe that would make it a little whiter??? I'm not sure. The sales rep said its not a low or high J. Its a solid J, but she's color sensitive. I've attached pictures, but it really doesnt allow you to compare from the side. Its the one on the left!
tray_1.jpg
sbs_1.jpg
4_85.jpg
3_154.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm, that's tough. I trust the Whiteflash quality control better than Bluenile, but that doesn't mean you can't get a really nice stone from BN. Not sure if this matters, but the Whiteflash upgrade policy is stellar, whereas, the BN policy isn't. It's hard to tell from the photos WF sent you. Would you go down slightly in size for a higher color grade? Here's a 1.6 I color, expert selection for virtually the same price. Also, this is personal preference, but I prefer less fluorescence and the WF stone is faint whereas the BN is medium. Up to you on if you care!

You could always go with the WF stone and propose with it. If it seems too yellow you could swap it for a higher color option?

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3400965.htm

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My immediate thought was the WF...but now I'm not sure. The BN looks like a beautiful stone and because its an H I might would
go with that. (this isnt taking tradeup ect into consideration).

Edit - I have nothing against J colored stones (got a small one myself).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I would go with the BN stone and propose on Sunday - if by chance the stone does not please you/her, you're still well within your return period to do an exchange/return.

BLUEandGOLD

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the responses. Is there anyway to tell the performance of the BN diamond? Can I safely assume that because the specs and hca is good, it will perform well?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From what I have learned from PS, you cannot safely assume from the specs and HCA that it will perform well. The HCA is a rejection tool. Scoring below 2 doesn't guarantee that it will perform well, rather it means it warrants further consideration. You would need an ASET and/or an IS to give you more details on its performance. That's why I was leaning towards the Whiteflash stone as you have the ASET for it.

Doesn't mean the BN stone doesn't perform really well, you just cannot tell from the specs alone (or the HCA).

I think both BN and WF have 30 day return policies though.

BLUEandGOLD

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. I like the fact that the WF is expert selection…takes some of the guesswork out of it. The lady on the phone said it missed being a hearts and arrows by a little…

If I am looking for something with the safest return policy, what are some of the vendors that have free return shipping? I know that B2C seems to have free returns. Sorry for all the newbie questions, I'm still trying to figure a lot of stuff out…in a short amount of time. Its in my nature to do things last minute, ha!

thanks in advance everyone!

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The two vendors I worked with both had free returns and they were James Allen and Enchanted Diamonds. I only returned a stone to James Allen and it was super easy, though it did take a couple weeks to get my money back. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with either again.

BLUEandGOLD

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I am interested, and 1100 is ok. How does an I look? would it be better than the H that I posted above?

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately, we couldn't tell you if the color of the BN H is better looking than the WF I unless we could compare them side by side via a photo or in real life. I will say that a superbly cut diamond of lower color will look whiter and brighter than a poorly cut diamond of higher color.

Here's a 1.6 ct H VS2 that's a tad more than your other stones.

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3377988.htm

I would call WF and ask about the color of the stone below (the one 16ocean posted). It could look great!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137125.htm

BLUEandGOLD

Rough_Rock
sorry for all the questions… thank you all for your help!!! i've put in a request for more information on several of the diamonds you all have suggested! hopefully it will work out. What are your thoughts on this diamond:

http://www.eternitybyyoni.com/1.71-I-SI1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond-GIA-2156699003/ds-1454116/

it scored a 0.9 on the HCA for BIC.

Depth %: 60.0
Table %: 58
CA: 32
PA: 41

if its a BIC, will it still have the scintillation/sparkles that a TIC would? Thanks in advance again!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, the WF. Id trust the WF cut quality more plus I don't like that black inclusion right in the middle of the Blue Nile stone. That would not pass muster for me.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
16ocean|1431877260|3877775 said:
What does your gut say?

The stone below is higher than your budget by $1,100 so if it is a no go . . . I get it but for me it checks off all the boxes.
cut, size, it is eye clean and color wise.
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3137125.htm

set it in a classic solitaire and . . . way less hassle.

This one. I also could not handle a black inclusion right under the table like the BN stone. Verify the degree of eyeclean with WF. But this stone is showing all the light return images and is ideal cut. Great upgrade policy in case she decides in a year she wants higher color or greater size. I would not go with J color.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a BIC and I don't like it. It's nice and bright but I find it boring to look at as there's virtually no fire, but that's my opinion. BIC's are total preference as some love them and others do not. A TIC is a much safer bet and that's what I would aspire to unless your girlfriend has specifically asked for a BIC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results